In retrospect...was it worth it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
Was it worth it?
Yes

Would I rather stick with Julius, DeAngelo and BI, watching them growing and eventually becoming All Stars while having deeper and deeper playoff runs as lakers from the draft to maybe a shot to the finals?
Absolutely.

Also consider, that, so far, those three guys have become one time all stars because they were allowed to be the top person on a bad team. I'm not sure if you keep them all on the Lakers how many of them ever become all stars.

They would go through trials and tribulations. We would love them. They would be this generations Lake Show. Eventually, some stud like Shaq will need to come, and the pieces will start to get traded anyway. We just preemptively did it and got a chip out of it too.

It is interesting that you have fans here pining for the "young guys." In reality, most of those young guys are now established vets who are all making good salaries, and frankly haven't had much team success since leaving the Lakers. I don't necessarily put that on them. But it's not like these guys are dominating the league.

I just don't get this wistful "what might have been" in the aftermath of us actually winning a ring.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
Was it worth it?
Yes

Would I rather stick with Julius, DeAngelo and BI, watching them growing and eventually becoming All Stars while having deeper and deeper playoff runs as lakers from the draft to maybe a shot to the finals?
Absolutely.

Also consider, that, so far, those three guys have become one time all stars because they were allowed to be the top person on a bad team. I'm not sure if you keep them all on the Lakers how many of them ever become all stars.

They would go through trials and tribulations. We would love them. They would be this generations Lake Show. Eventually, some stud like Shaq will need to come, and the pieces will start to get traded anyway. We just preemptively did it and got a chip out of it too.

It is interesting that you have fans here pining for the "young guys." In reality, most of those young guys are now established vets who are all making good salaries, and frankly haven't had much team success since leaving the Lakers. I don't necessarily put that on them. But it's not like these guys are dominating the league.

I just don't get this wistful "what might have been" in the aftermath of us actually winning a ring.

I also doubt that the YUTES team would fit as seamlessly as some people think it would. Too many guys that need the ball in their hands to be successful (i.e. BI/Jules/DLO/even guys like JC). They would have all wanted sizeable salary increases. We are seeing the fruit of their development APART from each other for a reason.

I'm very happy we got AD/LBJ. I think we still have a chance for 1-2 more rings. But if it was just 1 ring, it was worth it. All of our contracts are basically set up right now to end with LBJ and we will have to rebuild again one day. That's fine, and I think it'll be quicker than the last 10 year drought we had.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
People keep mentioning how some teams have never won a title but we are the Lakers who average 2.5 titles per decade since 1980

So regressing to one title a decade isn't really a success by Lakers standards.

If we win this year... then one can make that claim it was unquestionably a good move. If we lose and regress back into the dark ages... we are now headed towards a one title per decade average which is below our Dr. Buss era standards.

But you keep telling yourselves how brilliant it was that we are now in a position where we need to sign Schroder for over 20 million plus because we've gotten rid of all our picks and young assets.

Denver has MPJ, Jokic, Murray, Aaron Gordon, Bol Bol as a young core.

We have THT... then AD, Kuzma and Schroder as a youngish core.

Giving up everything for one title is not living up to Lakers standards.

Finally, a more sane, elaborate response than "yes, we won a championship;" like the Lakers don't win championships, and haven't been winning championships. For me, I don't know if it was worth it yet, I have to wait to see what we do this year. Right now, my answer is no. We gave up too much for a hobbled AD, that is made out of glass. While he is really good, he's not 1 that leads teams to the playoffs. He's more of a robin, and LeBron isn't healthy and passed his prime to be carrying a heavy load; like the old days. We could have dark days ahead, with no picks or youth. We might over pay schroder and that would be terrible, but we seemingly have no other choice and that sucks. We may be making careless moves. Breaking up a championship squad after the 1st ring was careless, to me.

Last edited by Outspoken on Tue May 04, 2021 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

When things are going well, the human condition is to manufacturer "problems".

The Lakers could've done everything right from 2016-2019 and it wouldn't have mattered a bit. Why? Because no one was beating a healthy Warriors.

Point being that there are many reasons why a great team can miss out on multiple championships in a decade, not just trading away their young core.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I think something that a lot of people in this board seem to forget is that the goal of an NBA team is not to actually “win” a championship. The goal is to remain in contention for a championship for as long as possible. An organization like the Clippers has been far more successful than us in this regard.

Because the real treasure is not the championship itself, but the memories you make along the way.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I think something that a lot of people in this board seem to forget is that the goal of an NBA team is not to actually “win” a championship. The goal is to remain in contention for a championship for as long as possible. An organization like the Clippers has been far more successful than us in this regard.

Because the real treasure is not the championship itself, but the memories you make along the way.

???

We’ve jumped the shark in this thread.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

???

Sarcasm Yinoma
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject:

I guess I would answer Yes, but I’m not as firm as many of you. Winning a title was the minimum condition to make me say Yes. If we get only the one bubble title out of the Lebron era, and if we don’t manage to stay in contention when he is gone, it won’t be impressive. Still, a banner in the rafters is what it’s all about.

But I was never comfortable about becoming the latest franchise for Team Lebron. We are the marquee franchise in the league. We have advantages in terms of revenue, geography, and glamour. Like the Yankees, it’s newsworthy when we *aren’t* a contender. It took a series of bad breaks and bad decisions to turn us into a perennial lottery team. I understand the allure of a quick fix by becoming the latest franchise of Team Lebron, but if all we get is the bubble title, I’ll be underwhelmed.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:

YES! Championships are extremely hard to win so we'll take 'em anyways we can. Who did we give up to sign Lebron again?

You could have all the talents and high draft picks in the world and still might not win a championship so yes, be very grateful Lebron blessed us with his presence and gifted us a nice championship tying with the Celtics. We were a lottery teams with a lot of "young talent" that get us more lottery picks every year. THINK ABOUT THE 7 YEARS OF SUFFERING!! DO NOT TAKE THIS MOMENT FOR GRANTED!!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I guess I would answer Yes, but I’m not as firm as many of you. Winning a title was the minimum condition to make me say Yes. If we get only the one bubble title out of the Lebron era, and if we don’t manage to stay in contention when he is gone, it won’t be impressive. Still, a banner in the rafters is what it’s all about.

But I was never comfortable about becoming the latest franchise for Team Lebron. We are the marquee franchise in the league. We have advantages in terms of revenue, geography, and glamour. Like the Yankees, it’s newsworthy when we *aren’t* a contender. It took a series of bad breaks and bad decisions to turn us into a perennial lottery team. I understand the allure of a quick fix by becoming the latest franchise of Team Lebron, but if all we get is the bubble title, I’ll be underwhelmed.

How do you know we won’t reload when lebron is done? Rebuilding is painful, but every team goes through it.
We didn’t give up That many in the first place.
BI(all star last year)+hart(rotation player)+lonzo(solid player who NOP won’t offer max)+ 4th pick (garland)+2022 and 2024 or 2025first round picks (likely non lottery as long as we have AD)+pick swaps (same thing) for AD
Russel already peaked(at least from the look of it), this will be randles first great season, same for JC
We couldn’t afford all these guys even if we want to.
BI+ball+Russel+randle+hart+JC can win you rings? I just don’t see it. NOP has BI +Zion +ball+hart and look where they are now. Also if you assume our young guys are going to be good, then the picks we gave up are likely low first round picks anyways, right?
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I think the front office screwed up big time....think about it, we may have had our own dynasty and won 4, 5, or 6 rings!!

Look at each player and their career trajectory!!!

Julius Randle >>> HOF
Brandon Ingram >>> HOF
DAngelo Russell >>> HOF
Lonzo Ball >>> HOF
Jordan Clarkson >>> ALL NBA
Larry Nance Jr >>> ALL STAR
Josh Hart >>> ALL STAR
Mo Wagner >>> ALL STAR
Thomas Bryant >>> ALL STAR

We gave up all those potential HOF and All NBA guys for 2 HOF (Lebron and AD).

You damn right I'm pissed off. 1 ring for the chance of 4, 5, or 6 rings!!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
I think the front office screwed up big time....think about it, we may have had our own dynasty and won 4, 5, or 6 rings!!

Julius Randle >>> HOF
Brandon Ingram >>> HOF
DAngelo Russell >>> HOF
Lonzo Ball >>> HOF
Josh Hart >>> ALL STAR
Mo Wagner >>> ALL STAR

you gonna skip Bonga and Svi like that?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

???

Sarcasm Yinoma

It’s hard to tell in this thread.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

How do you know we won’t reload when lebron is done? Rebuilding is painful, but every team goes through it.
BI(all star last year)+hart(rotation player)+lonzo(solid player who NOP won’t offer max)+ 4th pick (garland)+2022 and 2024 or 2025first round picks (likely non lottery as long as we have AD)+pick swaps (same thing) for AD
Russel already peaked(at least from the look of it), this will be randles first great season, same for JC
BI+ball+Russel+randle+hart+JC can win you rings? I just don’t see it. NOP has BI +Zion +ball+hart and look where they are now. Also if you assume our young guys are going to be good, then the picks we gave up are likely low first round picks anyways, right?

That's not how it works. You assemble assets, and you make moves. You trade some of the assets for better assets. You sign a free agent or two when it makes sense. The alternative to becoming the latest franchise of Team Lebron was NOT keeping all of our young players forever. That's a false scenario.

To answer your first question, I don't know that we won't reload after Lebron goes. I never said otherwise. However, I do know that Team Lebron was instrumental to building the current roster. Will we be able to reload after Lebron? I guess we'll find out.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

That's not how it works. You assemble assets, and you make moves. You trade some of the assets for better assets. You sign a free agent or two when it makes sense. The alternative to becoming the latest franchise of Team Lebron was NOT keeping all of our young players forever. That's a false scenario.

To answer your first question, I don't know that we won't reload after Lebron goes. I never said otherwise. However, I do know that Team Lebron was instrumental to building the current roster. Will we be able to reload after Lebron? I guess we'll find out.

Sign a FA-LBJ
Trade for another asset -AD
What’s wrong with bubble tile? We should’ve had home court advantage in every round, so it was actually bad for us.
Lakerwayne
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
YES! Championships are extremely hard to win so we'll take 'em anyways we can. Who did we give up to sign Lebron again?

You could have all the talents and high draft picks in the world and still might not win a championship so yes, be very grateful Lebron blessed us with his presence and gifted us a nice championship tying with the Celtics. We were a lottery teams with a lot of "young talent" that get us more lottery picks every year. THINK ABOUT THE 7 YEARS OF SUFFERING!! DO NOT TAKE THIS MOMENT FOR GRANTED!!

Interestingly, a few years back the Celtics were considered to be in such a good spot with all their young talent and high draft picks while the lakers had young guys with potential but weren’t having much on court success. The lakers traded a lot of it away and became champions. The Celtics tried to hold on to their assets and young players while signing various all star types (hayward, Irving, walker) and basically plateaud as a solid playoff team but not good enough to win it all.
Lakerwayne
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I get where you are coming but you are talking about the lakers historically. At the time Lebron signed the team was totally dysfunctional, non competitive, and incompetent, honestly. From ownership to management to coaching staff to players. We needed Lebron to save us lol he was the best thing to happen and was automatically the most competent guy in the organization from not only a player perspective but probably a management and even coaching perspective as well honestly. The lakers were a complete dumpster fire when he signed so I remember being like “please just let Lebron take over just do what he says cuz y’all are lost” basically haha but now the team has better management better coaching and better players and Lebron was a really huge part of that. Those teams sucked back then and were embarrassing
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Lakerwayne wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Interestingly, a few years back the Celtics were considered to be in such a good spot with all their young talent and high draft picks while the lakers had young guys with potential but weren’t having much on court success. The lakers traded a lot of it away and became champions. The Celtics tried to hold on to their assets and young players while signing various all star types (hayward, Irving, walker) and basically plateaud as a solid playoff team but not good enough to win it all.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
Was it worth it?
Yes

Absolutely.

That team would've never gotten over the hump....they were basically this generation of the 90's Van Exel and Eddie Jones teams.....
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
Was it worth it?
Yes

Absolutely.

That team would've never gotten over the hump....they were basically this generation of the 90's Van Exel and Eddie Jones teams.....

Well, it seems these days you need an MVP level talent at least to win a ring. And I don't see an MVP level talent in that group. At this point at least.

This is certainly been a weird thread. I can understand why NBA fans think Laker fans feel we have a sense of entitlement because this thread certainly shows we do.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:

Julius Randle >>> HOF
Brandon Ingram >>> HOF
DAngelo Russell >>> HOF
Lonzo Ball >>> HOF
Josh Hart >>> ALL STAR
Mo Wagner >>> ALL STAR

Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Julius Randle >>> HOF
Brandon Ingram >>> HOF
DAngelo Russell >>> HOF
Lonzo Ball >>> HOF
Josh Hart >>> ALL STAR
Mo Wagner >>> ALL STAR

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Sign a FA-LBJ
What’s wrong with bubble tile? We should’ve had home court advantage in every round, so it was actually bad for us.

You completely missed the point of my original post. In fact, it's sort of like you've having a discussion with someone else.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Sign a FA-LBJ

You completely missed the point of my original post. In fact, it's sort of like you've having a discussion with someone else.

You are asking us to stay in contention after lebron is gone, and that’s a lot to ask. Who knows how BI, Randle , Ball, DLO would be like in 3-4 years. All we can ask for was a 3-4 years window to win a title and hopefully more. We had done that, so whatever young talent or draft picks we gave up, it was worth it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Lakerwayne wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I get where you are coming but you are talking about the lakers historically. At the time Lebron signed the team was totally dysfunctional, non competitive, and incompetent, honestly. From ownership to management to coaching staff to players. We needed Lebron to save us lol he was the best thing to happen and was automatically the most competent guy in the organization from not only a player perspective but probably a management and even coaching perspective as well honestly. The lakers were a complete dumpster fire when he signed so I remember being like “please just let Lebron take over just do what he says cuz y’all are lost” basically haha but now the team has better management better coaching and better players and Lebron was a really huge part of that. Those teams sucked back then and were embarrassing

Of course I'm talking about the Lakers historically. We're an historic franchise. I certainly won't dispute what you say about the malaise of the post-PJ era. I'm still not comfortable with becoming the latest franchise of Team Lebron. If all we get out of it is the bubble title, that would be a minimally acceptable outcome. I think people would look back on this era and shrug.

Moving forward past Lebron, I worry that the franchise is still dysfunctional. Jim Buss is an easy target, but the dysfunction ran deeper than that. The Buss family really needs to sell, but that does not appear to be on the horizon. So is everything really back under control? We shall see. So far, everything important has been orchestrated by Team Lebron. What happens when Lebron and his people move on? Again, we shall see.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: