The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1533, 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
Very, very good piece wrote by Julius himself for the players tribune.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/reputation-julius-randle-new-york-knicks-basketball-nba

tells a lot about the character and contains a touching memory of Kobe.

the ending about the playoff gave me some hype and I'm not even a knick fan...

Wow a great piece thanks for linking it. Gives me be respect got Julius, he just gets it, has taken his career in stride and finally seeing great results from it. Hope he can keep it going and starts true to himself.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
He has improved a lot but people are getting way ahead of themselves. Still has the same flaws he did before. The usage is super high and can he play winning basketball? Not consistently that’s for sure.

Aren't the Knicks playing winning basketball now? Doesn't that answer that question?
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
Very, very good piece wrote by Julius himself for the players tribune.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/reputation-julius-randle-new-york-knicks-basketball-nba

tells a lot about the character and contains a touching memory of Kobe.

the ending about the playoff gave me some hype and I'm not even a knick fan...

Wow a great piece thanks for linking it. Gives me be respect got Julius, he just gets it, has taken his career in stride and finally seeing great results from it. Hope he can keep it going and starts true to himself.

When I re-watch Kobe's farewell game, and that moment at the end when all young players on the floor came and hugged Kobe: JC, Nance Jr. , DLO and Randle. All went on to become good to great players, but seems only Randle who genuinely enjoyed and learned from his time with Kobe. DLO I think always resented Kobe taking all the shots.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Julius Randle 31/10/1 5 Threes

additional replays and Jules son being excited during his dad's performance

9th Straight win for the Knicks.

Buck32 wrote:

When I re-watch Kobe's farewell game, and that moment at the end when all young players on the floor came and hugged Kobe: JC, Nance Jr. , DLO and Randle. All went on to become good to great players, but seems only Randle who genuinely enjoyed and learned from his time with Kobe. DLO I think always resented Kobe taking all the shots.

DLO loved Kobe too. It was Byron Scott he didn't like, which is understandable considering all the crap Byron put him through
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

From "bull in a china shop" to a legitimate MVP candidate that transformed a sinking but historic New York franchise. Time, work ethic, being in the right place can really make a difference. His transformation has been Harden-esque.

And I'll be completely honest -- I can't say I rooted for him passionately when he was here, but you kinda knew that if he played with a bit more smarts, he'd be a special player. He's realizing that playing for his teammates is the ultimate recipe for success. Hell, it took Kobe a while to figure that out as well. He's making his teammates better in NYK as opposed to blatant stat padding, which was one of my biggest criticisms with him here. Seems like he had to unlearn a lot of bad habits, which, IMO, is more of an indictment on Luke Walton than Jules. It's easy to fall prey to bad habits when you're young.

My hope is that Ingram stays healthy makes a similar leap in the next year or two. He can be Zion's "Kobe" so to speak.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I was vehemently against the signing of PG13 because I thought it would effect resigning some players. I thought both Brook and Julius would prove to be a better value down the line. Little did I know that we would just let both walk, and PG13 had nothing to do with them, nor did he sign here.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

Maybe the most implausible, greatest shooting progression since Kawhi. It's insane.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Snipes wrote:
He has improved a lot but people are getting way ahead of themselves. Still has the same flaws he did before. The usage is super high and can he play winning basketball? Not consistently that’s for sure.

Aren't the Knicks playing winning basketball now? Doesn't that answer that question?

No it does not. One year of 7 games above .500 doesn’t make you a winning basketball player. After years and years of losing basketball you don’t offset that by one decent regular season. He’s improved a lot but people
here need to relax. These are the same folks that deem Harden to be trash because he’s never won a ring. The hypocrisy is ridiculous. Good numbers in today’s NBA are not hard to find. Like I said earlier, guys like Dort and Jerami Grant are dropping 40 bombs like they’re nothing.

Randle has improved ten folds. He’s having an insane year. But people here are putting him in the same class and above a lot of players that are far better than him. And for what? 60 games? Comical. If he’s doing the same
thing this time next year I’ll believe it. Now this is my opinion and what I see him as. Others can have their own.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Snipes wrote:

No it does not. One year of 7 games above .500 doesn’t make you a winning basketball player.

Randle's playing winning basketball thus far this year, you can admit it. The Knicks haven't been relevant nor in the playoff picture since 2013. That's a 7 year situation.

You should really read the article Randle wrote in the tribune and where his change in mentality comes after his first season in New York. Randle's actively trying to play as much winning basketball as possible, which includes getting his teammates involved. He had a mentality of how best to contribute to a team, but that mentality evolved with time, and after being a first option for the first time in his NBA career(last year), he realized more things he needed to adjust and work on now that he is carrying that responsibility. And he relied on the things Kobe had taught him, and it's helped tremendously.

One of the biggest changes for Randle this year, aside from his jumper, is using the gravity he pulls in order to get his teammates open along the perimeter which nets them wide open shots.

You're going to still sit here and watch how Randle's playing this year and go "He's STILL not playing winning basketball... let's see him do that next year too.." How about not moving the goalposts and just admitting that this year Randle is playing winning basketball and his team is benefiting from it, clearly.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Snipes wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Snipes wrote:

No it does not. One year of 7 games above .500 doesn’t make you a winning basketball player.

Randle's playing winning basketball thus far this year, you can admit it. The Knicks haven't been relevant nor in the playoff picture since 2013. That's a 7 year situation.

You should really read the article Randle wrote in the tribune and where his change in mentality comes after his first season in New York. Randle's actively trying to play as much winning basketball as possible, which includes getting his teammates involved. He had a mentality of how best to contribute to a team, but that mentality evolved with time, and after being a first option for the first time in his NBA career(last year), he realized more things he needed to adjust and work on now that he is carrying that responsibility. And he relied on the things Kobe had taught him, and it's helped tremendously.

One of the biggest changes for Randle this year, aside from his jumper, is using the gravity he pulls in order to get his teammates open along the perimeter which nets them wide open shots.

You're going to still sit here and watch how Randle's playing this year and go "He's STILL not playing winning basketball... let's see him do that next year too.." How about not moving the goalposts and just admitting that this year Randle is playing winning basketball and his team is benefiting from it, clearly.

The key is “this year”. Sure this year he is. But again 7 games above .500 and 60 game sample. Not big enough to turn me. If he’s doing it next year sure I’ll eat crow. At this rate he SHOULD...but I’ve been around long enough to know how this league works.

And I read the article. As great as he’s been this year he’s done a lot of bad in his NBA career and there’s a reason why fans have wanted his head on a platter up until this year. Maintain this level for a longer duration and you’ll make a believer out of me. Then again what difference does it make if I believe it or not. He’s won over many people and turned into an MVP candidate this year. He’s doing just fine without my approval. Wish him all the best.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
MJST wrote:
Snipes wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Snipes wrote:

The key is “this year”. Sure this year he is. But again 7 games above .500 and 60 game sample. Not big enough to turn me. If he’s doing it next year sure I’ll eat crow. At this rate he SHOULD...but I’ve been around long enough to know how this league works.

And I read the article. As great as he’s been this year he’s done a lot of bad in his NBA career and there’s a reason why fans have wanted his head on a platter up until this year. Maintain this level for a longer duration and you’ll make a believer out of me. Then again what difference does it make if I believe it or not. He’s won over many people and turned into an MVP candidate this year. He’s doing just fine without my approval. Wish him all the best.

Fine, but you said that he still has the same flaws he did before, while he doesn't.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Also can ball...having a tremendous season. Happy for our ex Lakers. Especially the Mitch picks.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Julius Randle 31/7/6

Those turnaround jumpers though... wonder who he got them from...

Julius Randle Last 12 Games

29.5 PPG
8.5 REB
5.8 AST
1.2 STLS
0.3 BLK
Field Goal 47.0%
Three Pointer 46.5%(on 7.2 attempts)
Free Throw 85.4%

Knicks during that stretch 11-1
mrand
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject:

Wow, incredible numbers.

I am so happy for him. You just knew he was a hard worker from day one, but just like all of you, I did not see this level of performance coming.

His ability to score in a variety of ways, esp. his jump shot. Just incredible.

I love what the Knicks are doing this year and would be happy if they can make some noise in the Playoffs.

GO JULIUS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Eastern Conference player of the month.
Totally deserved.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Jules always had a special place in my heart. Happy to see him succeed.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup. Him broking his leg on his first NBA game ever was one of the worst moments I've ever seen. Kid worked hard to be where he is right now.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup. Him broking his leg on his first NBA game ever was one of the worst moments I've ever seen. Kid worked hard to be where he is right now.

The amount of work he put in must have bern off the charts to make this kind of improvement. Wish he would have been this driven when he was here.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

I was so excited about drafting Randle. Then I lost hope for him as he struggled to find his way. I should've kept believing, he's become better than I ever expected.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Julius was having a bad shooting game today against the Clips and DRose was carrying the team. But Julius hit 2 clutch baskets during the closing minutes, last one over PG. Sign of a mature and great player. I'm so happy for him.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
danzag wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The amount of work he put in must have bern off the charts to make this kind of improvement. Wish he would have been this driven when he was here.

He was driven, but we valued cap space more than him.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

I would much rather have a team of Julius, BI, Zubac and Clarkson right now. I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer a Lakers team with likable players that stay with the team long term. Not this buy a championship crap.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
I would much rather have a team of Julius, BI, Zubac and Clarkson right now. I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer a Lakers team with likable players that stay with the team long term. Not this buy a championship crap.
We gave up a lot of great young talent for a short window. To be honest, this is the least I've watched the Lakers in my whole life.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

If "buying a championship" means acquiring stars through free agency and trades, we've always done that -- Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Gasol.

The difference is now the superstar players are now the ones calling the shots, and forming the teams they want to play on. And it's just becoming obvious to fans that the players, for the most part, don't care all that much which city the teams they form play in.

Lebron, Durant, Leonard are the new NBA, where the superstar picks their destination, requires the team to put a lot of talent around them, and maintain the flexibility of short-term outs if they don't like how things are going.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1533, 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1534 of 1536
Jump to: