Chick's last televised home broadcast/game (2002 Spurs, Gm 5)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Chick's last televised home broadcast/game (2002 Spurs, Gm 5)

Here's a recap of my 2002 Semis Game 5 closer vs SA. I did this initially w/o realizing that it was Chick's very final broadcast on TV tho he did radio casts for games to the end of the season. He passed away on 8/5/02. This has to be his final TV game because all Kings/Nets were NBC owned. Self-recorded game, too. You know that.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu May 13, 2021 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks so much props to you for sharing this sacred broadcast of Chickie baby!

Can't believe next year will mark the 20th anniversary of his sudden passing.
mrand
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Andy here from your youtube comments section

Thx for the upload. You are the man.

It still baffles me how sharp he was oh the mic when he was 80+ years old. Of course he lost a little of his spectacular fast commentary style and his voice also changed a little in his final years, but man, he was something else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject:

mrand wrote:

It still baffles me how sharp he was oh the mic when he was 80+ years old. Of course he lost a little of his spectacular fast commentary style and his voice also changed a little in his final years, but man, he was something else.

He'd occasionally mix up players towards the end but by and large, he was still at the top of the game. I miss him and Kobe so much. If f'en Horry didn't shoot 0-18 from 3 in that series, that wouldn't have been Chick's last game.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
mrand wrote:

He'd occasionally mix up players towards the end but by and large, he was still at the top of the game. I miss him and Kobe so much. If f'en Horry didn't shoot 0-18 from 3 in that series, that wouldn't have been Chick's last game.

Wasn't Chick's last broadcast (radio) calling the Lakers three-peat in New Jersey?

Horry's 0-fer (though I think it was like 1-19 or something) was the following year with Sunderland announcing. I can still remember his heartbreak call when Horry's potential game winning three pointer rimmed in an out.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

This was really exciting to watch. The electricity in the air, Horry,...thank you for this.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
mrand wrote:

That's what made us love him more as our Laker announcer. just like our parents when they are older, mixing their children's names, but knowing what they meant to say.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
mrand wrote:

Wasn't Chick's last broadcast (radio) calling the Lakers three-peat in New Jersey?

Horry's 0-fer (though I think it was like 1-19 or something) was the following year with Sunderland announcing. I can still remember his heartbreak call when Horry's potential game winning three pointer rimmed in an out.

I remember Chick's last game being the 3-peat in NJ as well. The following year was supposed to be in Chick's honor...and well, we all know how that ended.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject:

#Chick
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
mrand wrote:

I remember Chick's last game being the 3-peat in NJ as well. The following year was supposed to be in Chick's honor...and well, we all know how that ended.

Oh I'm missing up the years. Horry's dismal performance was the year following our threepeat.

I don't think Chick's call was televised for the finals in 2002 against the Nets. IIRC, the finals were only broadcast nationally on TV. Chick might have made the call on radio but I wouldn't know.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, NPZ!

First half:

First thing I hear from Stu is analyzing the inbounds pass where the defender doesn't square up baseline. lol... and 5,000 mentions later from Stu here we are.

Watching DFish get killed on penetration.

Fisher's D just killing me, but he made a layup! Horry actually not looking great, either. Fox on kicking ass in the first half.

Shaq putting the Admiral on a poster in the second quarter. Watching Robinson get a tech later in the quarter was great "I didn't touch him!" Rare you see him lose his cool, lol.

Madsen sighting 36 seconds left.

Second half:
Fisher lost on D to give up a score. But his D becomes noticeably better as the quarter goes along.

Kobe with a nice And-1 bulling his way baseline and picks up Robinson's fourth. Key play.

Horry third quarter D with 8:39 left. Sensational. Guarding multiple guys and picking up the charge.

DFish with a clutch three to tie it up. Big play.

Horry first points forces a timeout. He's looked energized in the third.

Slow mo of Kobe 22 minutes into video on that drive, nice!

Shaq getting fourth on Duncan with 3:20 left in third. They are wearing on the Spurs.

Fox great steal, but later a bad double to give up an open three got Phil's attention.

Stu talking about how they normally don't call a foul after a shot it up from the three line. How things have changed...

Lakers have 1-point lead heading into the fourth.

29:50 in the video, Kobe with a ball fake and dunk. Beautiful. Next shot, a floater from 10 feet out, money. Next shot, missed a jumper.

19-year-old Tony Parker, man.

Chick is on fire in the fourth. So good. Felt like it took him a few minutes to get warmed up in this game, but he brought it like only he can.

Lindsey Hunter in to cool Parker down.

Officials bailed out Duncan from fouling out early with an obvious miss under the hoop.

38:00 Kobe with split of the double, spin and a score with 3 to go to take a 2-point lead. Kobe another score on a drive, changing directions.

Shaq great D on Duncan to block him. Another stop by Shaq. Fox getting out in transition for a score. Big play with 1:27 left.

Kobe iso to Horry for a dagger corner three. Big. Shot. Rob. Hold the pose and spin.

43:20 minute mark of the video...Chick puts it in the fridge for the last time?

Nope: 44:30 they put it in there a second time. Not sure I recall them ever doing it twice, but that would be the official last one.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Thanks! In 20 years, they still haven't found someone on Chick's level.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Thanks! In 20 years, they still haven't found someone on Chick's level.

There is no one on Chick's level. The man was a unique legend.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
kwase wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
mrand wrote:

Oh I'm missing up the years. Horry's dismal performance was the year following our threepeat.

I don't think Chick's call was televised for the finals in 2002 against the Nets. IIRC, the finals were only broadcast nationally on TV. Chick might have made the call on radio but I wouldn't know.

Yeah, it was radio only as NBC had exclusive rights from the Conference Finals and on. Chick definitely made the call on KLAC...I vividly recall hearing it somewhere (maybe the championship DVD?).

It's fitting that his final call was declaring the Lakers champions again.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

First thing I hear from Stu is analyzing the inbounds pass where the defender doesn't square up baseline. lol... and 5,000 mentions later from Stu here we are.

This is thing I'll always remember from him when I'm playing or watching basketball. When defending the inbound pass baseline, NEVER square up and ALWAYS protect the basket. That and never jump to pass

I know Stu gets a lot of flack, but I, personally, love him and have learned a lot of the nuances of the game from him.

Although I will admit, as I've gotten older and moved out of the LA area, I've found myself listening less and less to him so maybe he's gotten more stodgy as he's gotten older
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

This is partially correct, last game on Fox Sports. But KCAL had at least one game from the Kings series, memorable because that night one of Socal's famed TV anchors, Jerry Dunphy died. Emotional lead story after the game ended.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
This is partially correct, last game on Fox Sports. But KCAL had at least one game from the Kings series, memorable because that night one of Socal's famed TV anchors, Jerry Dunphy died. Emotional lead story after the game ended.

KCAL had Game 2 you're sayin? Wow, I don't remember that one if so. It would be a sucky "my bad", but I gotta be accurate. I trashed it right after due to the disgusting reffing, but you're sure of this? So then this was the final home game at least. Well, drats, man. I'm kinda stunned that they even got one of those games being that by the end of the decade, KCAL was done by the end of Rnd 1 for certain. I just recently did their closeout finale game from Utah one of those years, I think it was 2008.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

KCAL had Game 2 you're sayin? Wow, I don't remember that one if so. It would be a sucky "my bad", but I gotta be accurate. I trashed it right after due to the disgusting reffing, but you're sure of this? So then this was the final home game at least. Well, drats, man. I'm kinda stunned that they even got one of those games being that by the end of the decade, KCAL was done by the end of Rnd 1 for certain. I just recently did their closeout finale game from Utah one of those years, I think it was 2008.

Well it's been 20 years, unbelievably. I'm fairly sure it was a Kings game, but you know, shrug. Dunphy was an icon, he and Christine Lund on Ch 7 for years.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Lord have mercy, has it been that long already?

!...
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Lord have mercy, has it been that long already?

When tuning into Lakers basketball, still feels like it should be Shaq and Kobe. Never a dull moment in their 8-yr run.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject:

I've been unable to locate the game or the newscast. But did find this, so my memory isn't faulty, though quite random and selective. The announcement was right after the playoff game.

https://amp.en.shops-com.in/1821085/1/jerry-dunphy.html
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Listening to Chick was an fun activity all by itself.

Now, if I could just erase my memory of Chick being the host of "Bowling for Dollars" I would have had a near perfect childhood.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: