UFO’s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject:

The anything is possible so you should believe in anything without evidence argument is popular but silly. Extrapolating the unknown from the known and from the evidence narrows things considerably from possible vs probable. It’s possible there are invisible gnomes living in my yard. It’s wildly improbable. It’s possible that there are other life forms advanced enough to have developed interstellar travel. It’s at least largely improbable that they just fly through every so often and leave it at that. Just as it’s possible for a large species of primate to live in the forests of the Pacific Northwest but largely improbable that they have managed to do so this long without leaving any tangible evidence of their existence beyond a cryptic footprint or alleged sighting. With thousands of people and tons of researchers actively combing for that evidence. Then there’s the idea of the evidence itself, always being extrapolated to aliens. Like hearing hoofbeats outside and being sure it has to be zebras.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The anything is possible so you should believe in anything without evidence argument is popular but silly. Extrapolating the unknown from the known and from the evidence narrows things considerably from possible vs probable. It’s possible there are invisible gnomes living in my yard. It’s wildly improbable. It’s possible that there are other life forms advanced enough to have developed interstellar travel. It’s at least largely improbable that they just fly through every so often and leave it at that. Just as it’s possible for a large species of primate to live in the forests of the Pacific Northwest but largely improbable that they have managed to do so this long without leaving any tangible evidence of their existence beyond a cryptic footprint or alleged sighting. With thousands of people and tons of researchers actively combing for that evidence. Then there’s the idea of the evidence itself, always being extrapolated to aliens. Like hearing hoofbeats outside and being sure it has to be zebras.

That's just silly . . . it's clearly unicorns.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

I'm of a school that applies we're still evolving and not yet advanced enough to join more sophisticated species. Our aggressive nature may be disruptive to more peacefully existing societies.

We're killing our planet what makes any think a more advanced entity would welcome us?

To think we are the only civilized species in all this vastness is arrogance beyond belief.

I believe UFOs are real.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu May 20, 2021 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Like hearing hoofbeats outside and being sure it has to be zebras.

That's just silly . . . it's clearly unicorns.

Santa's reindeer?

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject:

Next to plants fungi was next. So if people will go as far to say that "maybe" there is mold that can be considered life form, why end there?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm of a school that applies we're still evolving and not yet advanced enough to join more sophisticated species. Our aggressive nature may be disruptive to more peaceful existing societies.

We're killing our planet what makes any think a more advanced entity would welcome us?

To think we are the only civilized species in all this vastness is arrogance beyond belief.

I believe UFOs are real.

Two problems there: believing we are the only intelligent life is not what being skeptical about other intelligent life that has interstellar travel capabilities and is yet so shy.

The second relates to the first. As Steven Hawking said, the likelihood is that a civilization with the tech to travel here would be looking for resources and likely would t be friendly. But either way there’s very little likelihood of continuous flyby’s over decades with no contact.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Next to plants fungi was next. So if people will go as far to say that "maybe" there is mold that can be considered life form, why end there?

Ok. Now insert a relevant point.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Sherlock Holmes reference noted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Sherlock Holmes reference noted.

Always been my favorite reference in rebuttal of I see this, it must be the far less likely thing. Holmes captured Ockham’s Razor so neatly there.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject:

Aliens have been getting lazy hiding themselves for a while now. Ya'll gonna sit here and tell me Chris Boucher on the Toronto Raptors ain't an alien? SMH.

Jokes aside.
We are 1 planet. Which is 1 part of our solar system.
Which is 1 part of a greater interstellar neighborhood.
And that makes up 1 tiny part of the milky way galaxy.
The milky way galaxy is just 1 part of our local galactic group.
And our local galactic group is just 1 part of the virgo supercluster.
And the virgo supercluster is just 1 part of a huge group of local superclusters.
And the group of local superclusters we're a part of is a speck of the observable universe.

So YES, there is almost certainly life on other planets. But the chances of them finding us. It's so small it's beyond description or comparison. Even if they were advanced enough to somehow find us. Traveling to see us is another hurdle that is nearly beyond comprehension. They'd have to harness the energy of a star and utilize wormholes which may or may not be real. Traveling across the universe without wormholes is a joke for many reasons.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu May 20, 2021 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm of a school that applies we're still evolving and not yet advanced enough to join more sophisticated species. Our aggressive nature may be disruptive to more peaceful existing societies.

I believe UFOs are real.

Two problems there: believing we are the only intelligent life is not what being skeptical about other intelligent life that has interstellar travel capabilities and is yet so shy.

The second relates to the first. As Steven Hawking said, the likelihood is that a civilization with the tech to travel here would be looking for resources and likely would t be friendly. But either way there’s very little likelihood of continuous flyby’s over decades with no contact.

Are you positive there's been no contact? There have as many alien abductions as there have been UFO sightings. Are they all false? Are Betty and Barney Hill nut cases?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I believe UFOs are real.

Are you positive there's been no contact? There have as many alien abductions as there have been UFO sightings. Are they all false? Are Betty and Barney Hill nut cases?

First, I meant public/verifiable contact, not probing a hillbilly.

And no, I’m not convinced by unverifiable, almost always really silly stories any more than a myriad of near death anecdotes qualify as any meaningful evidence of an afterlife. I treat visiting aliens a lot like god, possible but in no way even indicated by evidence and mostly reverse engineered by believers.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I believe UFOs are real.

And no, I’m not convinced by unverifiable, almost always really silly stories any more than a myriad of near death anecdotes qualify as any meaningful evidence of an afterlife. I treat visiting aliens a lot like god, possible but in no way even indicated by evidence and mostly reverse engineered by believers.

As a atheist, your God position says a lot.

I've read some abductions that sound like silly stories, people looking for their 15 minutes. I'll run with the premise we're not alone.

Relating to contact, I'll go with there has been some and do so on thinking we are far behind in scientific findings. The unknown is unknown.

Near death is also subjective. I had an out of body experience. I was at a family gathering. I saw myself sitting in a chair talking to my sister in law. It lasted about 10 maybe 15 seconds. Nothing unusual happened, it was a flash.

I know this happened and whether anyone believes it or not will not convince me it didn't.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu May 20, 2021 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I believe UFOs are real.

The Betty & Barney Hill Acoustic Math Proof:

2 Bipeds = 1 Quadruped = 1 Zebra
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

jodeke wrote:
There have as many alien abductions as there have been UFO sightings. Are they all false? Are Betty and Barney Hill nut cases?

No. There have been stories told by some who claim they have been abducted. There is absolutely no meaningful evidence that even remotely indicates aliens were involved.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
There have as many alien abductions as there have been UFO sightings. Are they all false? Are Betty and Barney Hill nut cases?

No. There have been stories told by some who claim they have been abducted. There is absolutely no meaningful evidence that even remotely indicates aliens were involved.

I meant stories.

I know there is no evidence. I'm not seeking to be convinced or trying to convince others. I'm not taking one side or the other. I just believe there are aliens and contact has been made, that's it.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I meant stories.

I know there is no evidence. I'm not seeking to be convinced or trying to convince others. I'm not taking one side or the other. I just believe there are aliens and contact has been made, that's it.

Your last two sentences directly contradict each other.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I meant stories.

You sir are correct. I'm on the maybe there are side, therefore taking a side. Thank you Ms Chanault, my first grade English comprehension teacher.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Where's the queue for the anal probing by ET?

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I meant stories.

You sir are correct. I'm on the maybe there are side, therefore taking a side. Thank you Ms Chanault, my first grade English comprehension teacher.

By all means, it’s completely my fault for noticing you said one thing and then went and said the exact opposite.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I meant stories.

By all means, it’s completely my fault for noticing you said one thing and then went and said the exact opposite.

Nah!

DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Didn’t see a thread.

I am excited that we are now recognizing that creatures from other worlds may actually exist. Cuomo had a couple guys on that said we can’t automatically assume it’s our adversaries, when referencing flying objects and that we should be open minded to the other side of the spectrum that they could in fact be other worldly.

I've always believed that intelligent life has to exist somewhere out in the universe. It's highly arrogant of us to think we are alone and special in such a vast expanse.

That said, it's a huge leap to say that flying objects that we can't identify are evidence that we have been visited by alien life. While that could be a possibility, it's extremely unlikely based on what we have "seen". Logic just doesn't support the idea that any alien lifer sophisticated enough to find us and travel here would lurk in the shadows and not make their presence known—be it benign or aggressive. If their mission was purely observational and they wished to remain invisible, they would use their technology to do so. They wouldn't give us occasional glimpses in shaky, out of focus and amorphous appearances only to mysteriously disappear. If their presence was nefarious, they certainly would make their presence known and definitely would not tip their hand by being occasionally "spotted".

UFO's are clearly "real". But they are just that, an unidentified sighting. The leap to the idea that because the shaky evidence is not immediately explainable in definitive terms means it must be alien is extreme.

I've been fascinated by UFO's and the possibility of alien visitation since I was a kid. And I am eager to see that possibility revealed if it were so. But despite that desire, I have seen nothing yet to even remotely demonstrate it has actually happened in any tangible sense.

My wife and I were just literally discussing this and I said the same exact thing. Do I believe there is other sentient life out there with civilizations? Yup. Does this video release show that? Not for me...it's exactly what it says it is, an unidentified flying object.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: UFO’s

DrDent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Didn’t see a thread.

I am excited that we are now recognizing that creatures from other worlds may actually exist. Cuomo had a couple guys on that said we can’t automatically assume it’s our adversaries, when referencing flying objects and that we should be open minded to the other side of the spectrum that they could in fact be other worldly.

I've always believed that intelligent life has to exist somewhere out in the universe. It's highly arrogant of us to think we are alone and special in such a vast expanse.

That said, it's a huge leap to say that flying objects that we can't identify are evidence that we have been visited by alien life. While that could be a possibility, it's extremely unlikely based on what we have "seen". Logic just doesn't support the idea that any alien lifer sophisticated enough to find us and travel here would lurk in the shadows and not make their presence known—be it benign or aggressive. If their mission was purely observational and they wished to remain invisible, they would use their technology to do so. They wouldn't give us occasional glimpses in shaky, out of focus and amorphous appearances only to mysteriously disappear. If their presence was nefarious, they certainly would make their presence known and definitely would not tip their hand by being occasionally "spotted".

UFO's are clearly "real". But they are just that, an unidentified sighting. The leap to the idea that because the shaky evidence is not immediately explainable in definitive terms means it must be alien is extreme.

I've been fascinated by UFO's and the possibility of alien visitation since I was a kid. And I am eager to see that possibility revealed if it were so. But despite that desire, I have seen nothing yet to even remotely demonstrate it has actually happened in any tangible sense.

My wife and I were just literally discussing this and I said the same exact thing. Do I believe there is other sentient life out there with civilizations? Yup. Does this video release show that? Not for me...it's exactly what it says it is, an unidentified flying object.

And it actually goes beyond that. If you read the descriptions of the Navy video that shows the indiscernible object, they say the video shows it going from flying above the surface to making descent under the sea that defies physics.

No, an out of focus object that could be just a lens anomaly disappeared from a piece of low resolution, blownout video. There's nothing in that video that supports the allegations that an object completely defied all known capabilities of an object to go from flying to becoming submersible.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:
crazy to assume with has vast as space is that we are the only beings. The ego that if we cant do it nothing can is laughable.

IMHO most people brush off even the possibility of other beings, creatures is because it would ruin religion.

I’m an atheist and a skeptic. I believe extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, hence why I’m an atheist. I don’t disbelieve that there was is or might be other life in the universe. I remain skeptical that any of the evidence posited for both their interstellar travel and their (repeated) presence here passes even basic muster.

My thoughts are similar to yours in that I require material evidence to lead me towards a belief....but that process led me to being agnostic (as opposed to atheism). Similarly that is where I am on much of the recent news regarding UFO's/UAP's....while I have not seen evidence to prove they are intergalactic or from beyond Earth, until they are explained I also do not know they did not originate beyond our planet.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:
crazy to assume with has vast as space is that we are the only beings. The ego that if we cant do it nothing can is laughable.

IMHO most people brush off even the possibility of other beings, creatures is because it would ruin religion.

I’m an atheist and a skeptic. I believe extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, hence why I’m an atheist. I don’t disbelieve that there was is or might be other life in the universe. I remain skeptical that any of the evidence posited for both their interstellar travel and their (repeated) presence here passes even basic muster.

My thoughts are similar to yours in that I require material evidence to lead me towards a belief....but that process led me to being agnostic (as opposed to atheism). Similarly that is where I am on much of the recent news regarding UFO's/UAP's....while I have not seen evidence to prove they are intergalactic or from beyond Earth, until they are explained I also do not know they did not originate beyond our planet.

As has been explained by others, that is an unjustified leap of logic.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10
Jump to: