DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Billions of people all over the world believe in mutually exclusive deities and religions. Most if not all of them have to be wrong. Widespread belief is not really any indicator of truth.

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.”

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

If God I’d benevolent, would living your life as if they didn’t exist be problematic?

It would be psychologically. I'd be uncomfortable living as though they didn't exist.

But you wouldn’t know, so there’d be no psychological effect.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Billions of people all over the world believe in mutually exclusive deities and religions. Most if not all of them have to be wrong. Widespread belief is not really any indicator of truth.

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.”

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

What if you chose the wrong one?

No way to chose the wrong one, there's only one.

Says who?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

Says my rearing. I'm a christian. I have my beliefs as you do yours. Do you believe in a God? Do you or any in your family go to church?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri May 21, 2021 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

But which of the myriad out there is the real one?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

But which of the myriad out there is the real one?

There is no myriad in Christianity.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject:

When it comes to ET life and UFO and things which we don’t have a firm grasp on because they elude our knowledge, I find it healthiest to maintain a good balance between skepticism vs open-mindedness. The universe is vast and endless, which at the very least leaves headroom for many possibilities. Probabilities are meaningless because we have no clue exactly how much of it we are dealing with. The extremely likely outcome is that we’ll never know the full spectrum of it. So the only pragmatic answer is simply: we just don’t know, and likely never will. I don’t like to dwell either either extreme (skepticism vs belief) as over the years I’ve come to realize that aggressive distrust and fervent fanaticism are just two sides of the same coin. I would also apply that sentiment to religion.

Last edited by panamaniac on Fri May 21, 2021 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

I have my beliefs as you do yours. Do you believe in a God?

if the definition of god is generic maybe. As in something started it all, but i am of the mindset that there never was a beginning. Space has always existed.

This is why if an alien was ever to be discovered it ruins religion as we know it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

If God I’d benevolent, would living your life as if they didn’t exist be problematic?

It would be psychologically. I'd be uncomfortable living as though they didn't exist.

But you wouldn’t know, so there’d be no psychological effect.

There is no, no, it's faith.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

I have my beliefs as you do yours. Do you believe in a God?

if the definition of god is generic maybe. As in something started it all, but i am of the mindset that there never was a beginning. Space has always existed.

This is why if an alien was ever to be discovered it ruins religion as we know it.

If that's the way you feel so be it. I'll not attempt to change your mind. When did always begin?

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

Says my rearing. I'm a christian. I have my beliefs as you do yours. Do you believe in a God? Do you or any in your family go to church?

So your parents told you there was one god and Christianity was the only path. What about the millions of children around the world whose parents told them differently? Their parents were wrong and yours were correct? How do you reasonably come to that conclusion?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

The argument against living as if there is a god is that if there wasn't a God would you suddenly go out and do terrible things? My guess is no. The golden rule is a better moral philosophy than any concept of god.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

So your parents told you there was one god and Christianity was the only path. What about the millions of children around the world whose parents told them differently? Their parents were wrong and yours were correct? How do you reasonably come to that conclusion?

You can't answer a question with a question.

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

I thought it was pretty obvious his default answer is no.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

I didn't ask you I asked DMR. I'm sure he doesn't need you to answer for him.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri May 21, 2021 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

I’m not answering a question with a question. I’m addressing your assertion that Christianity is the only true religion. Why are you conveniently avoiding addressing that?

As for whether I am religious or not. No, I am decidedly not. From my observation through life, the concept of religion is an illogical, institutionalized method of oppression.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

I'm sure DMR doesn't need you to answer for him.

He can speak for himself. I'm just extrapolating from his previous posts.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

Indeed. The answer should be obvious.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

Do you make it a habit for answering for others?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

Indeed. The answer should be obvious.

Well, I missed the obvious. A yes or no would be appreiciated.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri May 21, 2021 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

I'll stop if it upsets you so much. Apologies to DMR as well.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
The argument against living as if there is a god is that if there wasn't a God would you suddenly go out and do terrible things? My guess is no. The golden rule is a better moral philosophy than any concept of god.

Exactly. The assumption that living life as if there is no god inherently means you have sinned is at the core of the whole con of religion.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

― Albert Camus 👼🏾

Says who?

I'll stop if it upsets you so much. Apologies to DMR as well.

I'm not upset. I'm starting to get a feeling this thread is close to being locked. I think it best if we debated the original thread subject.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri May 21, 2021 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

How did we go from UFOs to religion?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Apologies to DMR as well.

Absolutely no apology necessary
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
How did we go from UFOs to religion?

WOW!! I just suggested we get back to the threads original intent 1 minute before you. We crossed in the mail.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10
Jump to: