LAKERS -at- SUNS - 5/25 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- SUNS - 5/25 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Home Court Advantage... With the 109-102 win tonight, the 7 seed Lakers evened the series up and took home court advantage from the Suns.

After the last game, the coaching staff and AD made sure he was rolling from the start. He was aggressive early and late. By the end of the night, he’d have 21 freethrow attempts.

His 34 points helped the Lakers get their offense in gear. Also joining the fight, Dennis Schröder scored 24 with some relentless attacking and three shooting.

This was anyone’s game with about 4 minutes left to go and the lead going back and forth. Vogel went small to close with AD at the center and over the next couple of minutes after that substitution, the Lakers went on an 8-0 run as their defense locked down.

While LeBron James didn’t look like his normal self in this game, he still came up with the dagger -- a huge three with 49 seconds left.

“He’s an all-time great and he’s showed it time and time again,” Vogel said.

Now it’s up to the Lakers to defend that home court.

LeBron -- -- He is not right. But he’s still coldblooded. He hit a dagger three with a few seconds left on the shotclock with under a minute left. He played that entire fourth. He also had a deep turnaround in the corner off the postup. Just one drive in the first half with Gasol setting the high screen and LeBron getting downhill for the And-1. He had a couple other finishes at the rim, but those were in transition. He had 10 points on 4-7 shooting (1-4 from three) in the first half. Another 13 more in the second half. Of those, however, just that single drive to the hoop. So this is really, really worrisome. Playoff LeBron gets downhill and the offense follows. He wasn’t even aggressive in the post. The Lakers won, but we need to get him right for this team to get back to where they need to. This series will last another week, so maybe the ankle gets better as it goes along. Defensively, some good boards, deflections and we even had him on Booker a couple times late and he seemed to handle himself. The Stats: He scored 23 points on 9-16 shooting (4-9 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 9 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover and 3 fouls. He was a +14.

Davis -- -- The freethrows show the aggressiveness (maybe cut four of those out since they were intentional ones late). He went 18-21 from the line. Clear purpose to get AD going from the start, but he picked up two fouls. The second one was weak. He was fouled on a jumper and kicked his leg out afterward (probably to correct the shot and balance after the foul!) and he was called for a flagrant just 3 minutes into the game. “I guess it’s an automatic flagrant-1 no matter what the situation is,” AD said. He had 10 points on 3-6 shooting and 4 assists in the first half. He had 6 FT attempts in the half, showing that aggressiveness. The jumper tonight was an adventure. He sank a corner three off our screen sequence when Gasol hit him. But he also had a couple of airballs. It’s still not dialed in. He hit a big three, though with 2:21 left up against the shotclock. He got his legs into it and buried it. He was a beast down the stretch. He had multiple stops, including a block on Ayton and another stop of a drive that he was fouled on for FTs. Then he helped force Booker into a turnover on a drive. We went to AD at the center late to close this one and he caused all kinds of trouble. Good job staying out of foul trouble after those first couple to start this one. The AD-led minutes were much better in this one. Some discussion on that in the Gasol section. The Stats: He scored 34 points on 7-15 shooting (2-4 from three, 18-21 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 7 assists, 1 steal, 3 blocks, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 40 minutes. He was a +6.

Schröder -- -- Can’t understate how huge the role he played in this game was. With LeBron not himself, Dennis was the guy getting to the rim again and again and causing problems. This was his Playoff Rondo type of performance. He got going early. He had 16 points on 6-11 shooting in the first half. He was consistently getting to the rim and buried both threes he took (anytime Saric is out there, I want Schröder going to the rim). On occasion we were moving the ball over to the weakside for him to work. That penetration on misses also allowed for Drummond to get a couple offensive boards. He had an attack on CP3 for a runner (I want us to attack CP3 more whenever he’s out there as it scrambled the D). In the second half, he ran a Boston roll with Drummond. Schröder put his man in jail, Drummond sealed in the paint, and Schröder drew FTs on that one. A couple big plays by Dennis down the stretch with as he had a quick attack to draw FTs with 4:56 left. He then had a drive and dish to AD for a dunk next time down. This is the kind of game we want from Dennis. He’s a scoring PG. We don’t want to depend on him to create as much for others. We want him getting to the rim with consistency and hitting those open threes when the ball finds him. "He really carried some stretches of the game tonight," Vogel said. The Stats: He scored 24 points on 8-16 shooting (2-4 from three, 6-6 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 34 minutes. He was a +16.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- With a minute left he passed up a three and swung it to Schröder who wasn’t quite expecting it. As they went to the bench, LeBron was in KCP’s face. Probably telling him he believed in him, trying to get KCP’s mental game adjusted. That was some intensity going on there. We need KCP in the fight. The first game the shot was way off. Tonight, he had a bagel, missing all four of his attempts from three. One of them hit the top of the backboard. Hopefully, the change of scenery and home court will allow KCP to get going. Staples needs to get behind him. Defensively, a lot of time on Booker. I’m really surprised the Suns never went to the post with that match up. I was expecting to see it late in the game but it never happened. Look for Booker to start flopping more and trying to get the calls on jumpers. He had some success on that early in the game, but also in the final minute. Vogel had high praise for KCP’s defensive game. We’re leaning on him for a lot of work on that end. Come on, Kenny, we need that three ball, too! The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-4 shooting from three to go with 4 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal and 4 fouls in 31 minutes. He was a +19.

Drummond -- -- Great first half offensively with 10 points and 11 boards (5 offensive). A couple of hoops on the move toward the basket, which is nice to see (loved that And-1 hook over a smaller man). It’s not so much Drummond’s individual numbers that are important as the numbers of the other guys he’s playing with. Can they be more effective as a whole unit. If we can get penetration that will help his game. We saw Dennis more active in that regard. LeBron found him for some scores. My favorite might have been LeBron posting up and as Ayton went to zone up on LeBron, AD2 flashed to the middle of the paint to take a pass and score easily at the rim. Love seeing a smart counter to the post help. Defensively, it was a mixed bag. The team was better in transition, but we did see Drummond get beat down court and it led to a mismatch and open corner three. In the half court, the Suns worked that midrange. Worst play of the night by him on that end was pressuring Ayton 25 feet from the hoop to get beat for a layup. Not sure what he was thinking there. But we controlled the boards tonight. Ultimately, our D was about the same, but we got our stars involved more offensively tonight. Vogel agreed this was Drummond's most impactful game. The Stats: He scored 15 points on 7-11 shooting (1-1 from the line) to go with 12 boards (5 offensive), 2 steals, 1 block, 2 turnovers and 4 fouls in 24 minutes. He was a +5.

Gasol -- -- He came in for Drummond with Morris coming in for AD late in that first quarter. That allowed for LeBron to get to the rim for his only drive. We also saw Kuzma get his only bucket when two defenders went to close out to Gasol and Kuz was left alone under the hoop for Morris to find him. More importantly, he helped out in those AD-led minutes when LeBron sat. These are our sketchiest minutes of the game and we lost them badly in the last one. You saw him as the trigger man on some passing to our guys running the corner sequence during those minutes. Getting the team organized into some offense that doesn’t involve just AD posting up helped us sustain those minutes better. That’s the kind of thing we leaned on for Rondo at times last year (organizing the offense). For whatever reason late in the game, we still had him down low for a few possessions trying to battle on the offensive glass and not spacing the floor. He had a smaller man on him, but I’d still prefer open paint. No Trezz tonight as Gasol took the backup C role. It’s not that Gasol was great on D tonight. Just schematically we need what he brings to keep the team’s offense alive and activating guys that can get to the rim. He hit a couple threes tonight, including a big one late on a ball fake that left him wide open for a great look. The Stats: He scored 6 point son 2-4 shooting from three to go with 2 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal and 2 fouls in 20 minutes. He was a -4.

Kuzma -- -- With AD, LeBron and Schröder all ball, Kuz was the guy that was going to take a hit in his game. He had one bucket tonight, cutting for Morris to find him for a layup. Defensively, he contributed with a blocked shot on a recovery that led to Schröder layup on the other end. He also had a steal. We got AD on track. Schröder on track. We need to get our bench going. Hopefully, we can figure out some sequences for Kuz to get some good looks and join in. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-4 shooting (0-2 from three) to go with 1 board, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block and 1 foul in 20 minutes. He was a -1.

Caruso -- -- The ball fake to send Booker spinning as AC then took it for a dunk in one of the final possessions. Very nice. His other score was with 8:30 left, a big pull-up in the lane. So his 4 points all came in that fourth. AC missed both his threes tonight. He had a couple of scrappy plays, hustling for an offensive board/loose ball. He’s superb tracking down those 50-50 balls. He also blocked Ayton under the hoop on a help situation. On another key stand late in the game, he bodied up Ayton in the post and didn’t give up ground. That allowed AD to come from behind for a big block. The Stats: The Action: Miss corner three. Miss wing three at end of clock. // Blocked Ayton under hoop on great help recovery. Stripped on drive. Big pull up in lane with 8:30 left. But then hard close to corner for And-1 three against Crowder.

Horton-Tucker -- -- I might rather see McLemore in. They are having THT try to beat them from three. Sometimes going to a zone against our non-shooters. THT got his only points hustling for an offensive board and getting fouled. He also threw a behind-the-back pass out of bounds on a simple pick and pop. The Stats: He scored 1 points on 0-2 shooting from three (1-2 from the line) to go with 1 turnover in 6 minutes. He was a -6.

Morris -- -- In late in the first quarter with Gasol. This was most likely due to AD’s second foul. He’d miss a short one in transition, but also post up and fund Kuz under the hoop for a layup. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting, had 1 board, 1 assist, 1 turnover and 1 foul. He was a +2 in 4 minutes

Matthews -- -- Not a lot of action tonight as he played just 4 minutes. He missed both of his three attempts. We badly need someone to step up and knock some down. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-2 shooting to go with 1 board and 1 foul in 4 minutes. He was a -8.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: We went small to close the game. The Lakers came up with a huge 8-0 run. The Suns cut the lead to 6 with 1:08 left. On our offensive possession, it came down to LeBron just hitting a big three with 49 seconds left. Dagger to put the lead at 9 and out of reach.

Key Substitution: Vogel ran 11 players in the first quarter with AD getting into a little foul trouble. He switched up the Gasol/Trezz backup center minutes. We saw a little more Wes. But the key sub was going small late with AD at the C spot. With 3:40 left in the game, the score was 93-92 when AC came in for Gasol. The Lakers clamped down for an 8-0 run for the next 2:32 of action. The starters with AC instead of Drummond. That’s our closing unit.

Key Stats: We held the Suns to just 4 offensive boards. We won the break 15-4. After that first half, the Lakers have held the Suns to just 4 points on the break over the next 6 quarters. Had we played with the right focus and energy in that first half last game, perhaps we could have still won that game despite scoring so little. Both teams shot 30 percent from three. The Lakers shot 10-33 from three tonight, the Suns 8-26. Both teams shot a similar number of FTs, the Lakers made 27-31, the Suns 28-30. Props to both teams on some great shooting from the line, but that’s a great number for us.
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject:

1st
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject:

A couple of things, DB -

It's pretty clear that one of LBJ/DS needs to be on the floor at all times. Vogel hasn't been doing a good job of staggering the two leaving the team without a playmaker for stretches.

Perhaps it's time for DS to come off the bench and start AC. Thoughts?

Also, last year we killed teams when they would zone us. Anytime LBJ got the ball in the middle, it was game over. Of course, it's up to our guys to hit the 3 but why isn't Bron getting the ball in that sweet spot anymore? Am I missing something?

Kiss my Converse.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Great write up.

AD was terrific. While that jumper is not exactly all there yet, he was forcing the issue when he could and getting calls. Eventually that shot will be more consistent. Loved how he took over the game in the closing minutes on both ends - huge boost for the team.

Like you, I am concerned about LBJ. His ability to just pressure the basket has not been on display. I saw you post in the in game thread reflecting the same frustration many of us were having - despite favorable 1 on 1 matchups at times and a wide open space to attack he would just dribble, dribble...pass...or take a jumper (more than once an off balance one). If there is something that is preventing him from getting a quick first step past someone, and if that is what it will be the rest of these playoffs, this team will need someone else to step up in order to have a shot to repeat (whether that's AD, or DS, etc.)

Also, if this team can just hit these wide open 3's more consistently...

Vog's decision to just play big was also interesting. No Trez, which honestly -as much as I root for the guy to succeed - I was relieved to see him *not* come in. Loved how he mixed it up at the end with AD at the 5, the Lakers defensive speed increased and I think it just caught the Suns off for a few possessions at a critical moment.

Anyway, will take the split. Lakers need to be really ready for the next game - will be by far their toughest game of the year to date.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
A couple of things, DB -

It's pretty clear that one of LBJ/DS needs to be on the floor at all times. Vogel hasn't been doing a good job of staggering the two leaving the team without a playmaker for stretches.

Perhaps it's time for DS to come off the bench and start AC. Thoughts?

Also, last year we killed teams when they would zone us. Anytime LBJ got the ball in the middle, it was game over. Of course, it's up to our guys to hit the 3 but why isn't Bron getting the ball in that sweet spot anymore? Am I missing something?

What's really strange is they were doing this for a bit prior to LBJ going down and the results were good. They've moved away from that a bit, which is odd.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Hooray for winning! Hoping LeBron heals up as we go. Vogel dialing in another playoff opponent after letting them take the first game. Sounds a bit like last year's run so far.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject:

I thought AD was great in the 4th and much better in the 1st, but I thought he disappeared again in most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters, especially when LeBron was out.

I don’t remember a game where LeBron attacked the rim less. He still changes the game when he’s out there, but it is concerning.

Caruso looked off to me tonight. I thought he made mistakes that we’re unaccustomed to seeing from him.

We were making too many passes at times. Passing up open 3’s over and over.

None the less, we won and the Clippers lost. It was a good night.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Thanks DB! Hooray for winning! Hoping LeBron heals up as we go. Vogel dialing in another playoff opponent after letting them take the first game. Sounds a bit like last year's run so far.

+1

Thanks, DB!
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Any Laker win is a good thing, especially in the playoffs. Schröder and Drummond really contributed in this game. LeBron and AD are both making me anxious at times but they seem to be rounding into shape?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject:

No, Lebron isn't right. He isn't cutting to the basket as much which means that either the layoff sapped his endurance, or that his ankle is still a mess. I vote the latter as high-ankle sprains are ugly and can take over a year to heal. That's why AD cannot lapse into passive mode, which is something he did from time to time or even game to game during last season's championship run. Without Lebron at 80%, the Laker margin of error becomes razor thin.

Last season Rondo stepped up as a force, taking some of the pressure and demands away from Lebron and AD. We desperately need Schröder to step into that role.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! The Suns will continue playing zone and drop coverage. When Lebron takes and makes that many tough shots, you live with it.

They know as well as we do that Lebron is favoring against driving to the rim, and we'll just need to keep hitting shots throughout the series. I loved AD's and DS' aggression.

Great win.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject:

Kuz, kcp etc should do well at home.
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject:

If we play AD1 and AD2, they need to play big. Control the defensive glass, quick outlets. A lot of battling under the rim for second chance points. They did that as a tandem yesterday.

This was a chemistry builder. We have not seen a game where both ADs, Dennis and Bron all play well. This was that game, even though Bron is not able to fully attack yet.

I thought we played very well, until Payne took over. Man he just killed us. We waited too much to adjust to that change of pace, and kept playing Gasol/AD2 at the 5. Once we moved AD to the 5, we were able to put our 5 out in the front of the D on the smalls. This changes everything. As even if Caruso had to take Ayton on a post up, it allows AD or others to come help. We completely changed the way the Suns were able to attack.

As this series evolves we will need to use more of those AD at the 5 lineups. Especially if the Suns give Payne the ball to run the show. He is an even tougher cover for us. As Paul is more deliberate and slow, and we have time to rotate. On Payne we just didn’t have time. He is very very quick. Gonna need an adjustment on that.

This could have been an easy win if the Lakers bench showed up. Our bench is giving us nothing. If our bench wakes up, we can take control of this series.

Vogel made some adjustments. Gasol in for Trez. Defensively as I said in DBs game 1 thread. We need to make Booker their number 1 shot creator and we did a lot of that until Payne took over. If we can continue to front AD on the opposing teams smalls, and defend Ayton with our smalls, we will give them a lot of trouble to score. The key is still being able to get the ball out of the hands of their PGs (Paul/Payne) and forcing them to have Booker create. Booker is great scoring, but he doesn’t make the others get involved. A lot easier for us with late help to defend on Booker.

And something not mentioned too much. That Bron/AD chemistry late in the game. Wow. Just amazing two man games and way they played off each other. Shaq and Kobe were incredible, more dominant as scorers. But the way AD and Bron play off each other just 1 year playing together is simply beautiful to watch. We need to close games with a lot spacing and AD/Bron playing off each other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject:

Vogel made the necessary adjustments. He went big, used his size. I'm still not a Vogel fan. I want to see his lineup at Staples.

AD showed up, played in the low post on offense, used his midrange game. AD2 showed up. Beasted on the O boards. Bron showed up. He's a mental giant.

The Clippers had cardboard fans in the stands. Lakers will have real people. Lakers fans are usually laid back. I don't think they'll be Thursday. Stapel will be rocking. It's gonna be crazy in DTLA.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
If we play AD1 and AD2, they need to play big. Control the defensive glass, quick outlets. A lot of battling under the rim for second chance points. They did that as a tandem yesterday.

This was a chemistry builder. We have not seen a game where both ADs, Dennis and Bron all play well. This was that game, even though Bron is not able to fully attack yet.

I thought we played very well, until Payne took over. Man he just killed us. We waited too much to adjust to that change of pace, and kept playing Gasol/AD2 at the 5. Once we moved AD to the 5, we were able to put our 5 out in the front of the D on the smalls. This changes everything. As even if Caruso had to take Ayton on a post up, it allows AD or others to come help. We completely changed the way the Suns were able to attack.

As this series evolves we will need to use more of those AD at the 5 lineups. Especially if the Suns give Payne the ball to run the show. He is an even tougher cover for us. As Paul is more deliberate and slow, and we have time to rotate. On Payne we just didn’t have time. He is very very quick. Gonna need an adjustment on that.

This could have been an easy win if the Lakers bench showed up. Our bench is giving us nothing. If our bench wakes up, we can take control of this series.

Vogel made some adjustments. Gasol in for Trez. Defensively as I said in DBs game 1 thread. We need to make Booker their number 1 shot creator and we did a lot of that until Payne took over. If we can continue to front AD on the opposing teams smalls, and defend Ayton with our smalls, we will give them a lot of trouble to score. The key is still being able to get the ball out of the hands of their PGs (Paul/Payne) and forcing them to have Booker create. Booker is great scoring, but he doesn’t make the others get involved. A lot easier for us with late help to defend on Booker.

And something not mentioned too much. That Bron/AD chemistry late in the game. Wow. Just amazing two man games and way they played off each other. Shaq and Kobe were incredible, more dominant as scorers. But the way AD and Bron play off each other just 1 year playing together is simply beautiful to watch. We need to close games with a lot spacing and AD/Bron playing off each other.
Agree with most of your comments

Gasol can be this season's "Playoff Rondo" especially when he's able to create and/or find cutters for good-to-great shots.

Ayton is getting cutbacks while the Lakers were a beat behind to have somebody "Help the Helper"

Understand why Vogel gave TNT an opportunity before McLemore - who will get his chance if the Suns uses their match-up zone again and our shooters on the floor are not making their shots.
Maybe they can utilize more of their set plays to get the ball into the middle with AD?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!
Nerve wrecking game, but glad we could get the W.

Finally Vogel made some adjustments, but we're not there yet. Our offense still suck at times.

If LeBron's clearly not right, CP3 isn't either. We must seize the opportunity and close this series sooner than later.

AD playing the 5 completely changed the game in 3 minutes. In 4 straight possessions we won the game. AD had

- a block
- a 3 pointer
- a steal
- a clutch defensive play on Booker
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

One major difference last night was the Lakers attention to detail on defense. Looks like they made adjustments based off Game 1 tape and got into the passing lanes and help defense in areas Phoenix loves to go to...resulted in quite a few key deflections, steals and turnovers.

Well done.

Now just please fix the brick fest on wide open 3s
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Kuz, kcp etc should do well at home.

Hoping our role players step up at home and their role players don't on the road.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

That two-man action on the wing where they were getting switches had some good moments. Would have been even more killer if LBJ was more himself. But it was very Phil Jackson-esque to pull that out late in the game and say deal with this.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Vogel made the necessary adjustments. He went big, used his size. I'm still not a Vogel fan. I want to see his lineup at Staples.

AD showed up, played in the low post on offense, used his midrange game. AD2 showed up. Beasted on the O boards. Bron showed up. He's a mental giant.

The Clippers had cardboard fans in the stands. Lakers will have real people. Lakers fans are usually laid back. I don't think they'll be Thursday. Stapel will be rocking. It's gonna be crazy in DTLA.

First LBJ playoff game in front of L.A. fans. First for AD. Staples needs to bring it.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Nice win battling through the challenges and unconventional lineups. Bron knows he has to play even though his ankle isn't right yet. We apparently only play AD at center during the last 5 minutes of a close game. Played 11 players in the 1st quarter. Drum, Gasol, and Trez all play only center. Vogel only plays two in a game, alternating between Gasol and Trez. It's unconventional the way Vogel makes lineups and substitutions. Usually the coach would have figured out the top 7 or 8 team players and go with them consistently game after game.

But it is what it is. There's surely a method to the Vogel madness and I hope it throws off the other team more than ours.
DaMamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

haven't posted in years, but figured my password out again lol..good to be back! I'm liking the Lakers chances again this year, but even getting by Phoenix won't be easy..Still I say Lakers in 6 though.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

LeBron was awesome on defense the entire game.

I still think he's just working into shape and using his IQ and Wit to get by.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
That two-man action on the wing where they were getting switches had some good moments. Would have been even more killer if LBJ was more himself. But it was very Phil Jackson-esque to pull that out late in the game and say deal with this.
Zen Master Strikes Again

With Monte Williams being a very good coach . . . .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: