Thank you MARC GASOL - traded with 2024 second pick to Memphis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 63, 64, 65  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
CRoost wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Kieff might be playing a lot if they keep doing that PNR attack on Drummond /gasol

I am surprised Kief has not played but he can rotate better and provide better spacing.

He got a run with Gasol and Bron. We ran a Gasol-Kieff lineup, where Bron was the 3 on D, and 1 on O.

On offense, as the series evolves, I am sure we will lean more on Gasol and Kieff around AD-Bron. We simply need the shot making. The Suns are doubling and zoning a lot.

However in this game, it was more the defense. We had a lot of trouble with defensive coverage when we played big when Payne was aggressive. It seemed like we did not know how to react and were too slow. Situations like that, you probably just want to go with AD at the 5.

Give credit to Vogel for making that adjustments. It took longer than my tolerance level but he made the right call.

Lebron still looks gimpy. I don’t see any explosiveness so if he does not get on a full gear, I don’t like our chances of repeating.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
leking006 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Great minute, just a little too long. That 3 in the 4th was HUGE

Suns adjusted at halftime and just shredded the Lakers’ defense for seemingly every second Marc was on the floor in the second half. Got him involved in as many actions as they could and just destroyed the Lakers after we were forced to scramble because Marc was too slow to do anything.

So who you got? Harrell?

I think for this matchup, yes Montrezl Harrell. But in reality, I might just skip Harrell and Gasol and just play Drummond and AD at the 5 lineup and just play Wes Matthews more. THT and Gasol should not play anymore. I hate saying that about Gasol but he has been figured out.

Harrell is never the answer. The dude can't wash that Clippers' stink off him. Losing permeates around those guys. Benched his ass and look now, it's all tied up.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Harrell and Gasol should be playing together.

Kief is the one that should be out of the playoff rotation and Gasol and Harrell should be our 4/5 off the bench. But it won't happen unless Kief gets in foul trouble and Vogel happens to decide to play Gasol that game.

Glad he played tonight.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject:

The adjustment is don’t double their guys when Booker is off the court. AD should stay back to help in PNR, if their role players make 3s, we gotta to live with it. They can attack Marc or Drummond on PNR, but the lakers can adjust
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
leking006 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Suns adjusted at halftime and just shredded the Lakers’ defense for seemingly every second Marc was on the floor in the second half. Got him involved in as many actions as they could and just destroyed the Lakers after we were forced to scramble because Marc was too slow to do anything.

So who you got? Harrell?

I think for this matchup, yes Montrezl Harrell. But in reality, I might just skip Harrell and Gasol and just play Drummond and AD at the 5 lineup and just play Wes Matthews more. THT and Gasol should not play anymore. I hate saying that about Gasol but he has been figured out.

Harrell is never the answer. The dude can't wash that Clippers' stink off him. Losing permeates around those guys. Benched his ass and look now, it's all tied up.

Can't believe they still want him in even when the dude has been filing up negatives for more than 30 games now, whether its against a small ball or not. He's not good even as small ball center. I don't know what they see in him. Good thing Vogel had enough.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
leking006 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

So who you got? Harrell?

Can't believe they still want him in even when the dude has been filing up negatives for more than 30 games now, whether its against a small ball or not. He's not good even as small ball center. I don't know what they see in him. Good thing Vogel had enough.

Honestly, the only thing that makes Harrel viable on O is really good passing point. He's never viable on D. So you would have to find a team willing to trot a very undersized Center out against an LBJ w/o AD lineup for Harrel to make sense.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't get why he's such a bad defender...He's not slow...he can move his feet...has a long wing span...what gives? He's his own worst enemy. Like its been mentioned he would be the perfect 4 to Gasol or playing with AD. Some of you think think he'll opt in...I'm convinced he'll opt out. Which would be a good thing.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Gotta play Marc at least 20. The ball movement and flow of the offense looks so much better with him out there.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Gotta play Marc at least 20. The ball movement and flow of the offense looks so much better with him out there.

Yeah, I think Ayton or somebody left him couple times on the three point line and he shot them without hesitation
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:

That's too much IMO....defensively the team suffers big time and he even acknowledged how difficult the PNR is to defend against Phoenix. 5-7 minute bursts only. AD may have to up his minutes at the 5, because Drummond has problems as well with the PNR.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
AD23 wrote:

That's too much IMO....defensively the team suffers big time and he even acknowledged how difficult the PNR is to defend against Phoenix. 5-7 minute bursts only. AD may have to up his minutes at the 5, because Drummond has problems as well with the PNR.

I didn't think he played that well during Tuesday's outing. Although his 4th quarter 3 was very timely to stymie the Suns momentum. He just didn't look to playmake enough although that could be due to the personnel around him. Defensively, Suns were ready for him. So the Suns game we won in the regular season gave them the tape for how to address Marc.

We ran him with that lineup that has our highest net rating (MG, KCP, DS, LB & AD) in the fourth and we didn't get the separation we needed until we took him out. I still think it's great to play him but I still see some moments where I would play Trezz. Probably not in the 4th but certainly against Saric when Ayton is out. Drummond was the unsung hero of the game. Drummond has hte lowest net with our starters but we would not have won without his play against Ayton.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
I don't get why he's such a bad defender...He's not slow...he can move his feet...has a long wing span...what gives?

Talking about Harrell....Plays with his hands down mostly. Rotates ok under the rim to take occasional charges but doesn’t understand perimeter rotation schemes and takes a lot of false steps that compromise the defense. Doesn’t attack the defensive boards the same way he does the offensive glass.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
King Randle wrote:
I don't get why he's such a bad defender...He's not slow...he can move his feet...has a long wing span...what gives?

Talking about Harrell....Plays with his hands down mostly. Rotates ok under the rim to take occasional charges but doesn’t understand perimeter rotation schemes and takes a lot of false steps that compromise the defense. Doesn’t attack the defensive boards the same way he does the offensive glass.

I believe it’s more of a rotational thing that is compounded by his size. He’s not a great 1v1 defender, but he has the instincts to rotate to the correct spot he would probably be playing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

This Gasol needs to show up offense in the playoffs. The agro passing is still annoying, but just being something of a roll and pop threat opens open so much of the floor.

The half-court defense was lovely.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Marc Gasol is a gamer. We need to play him more, for sure. He can space the floor, pass the ball, rebound, and play some nice position defense.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

He is also currently our best 3pt shooter as crazy as that sounds.

Today's stats:

12pts on 4/6 shooting
3/5 from 3pt land
8 rebounds
3 assists
1 steal
3 blocks

in 23 minutes

Terriffic game
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Folks in the game thread were like "Gasol's going to be worse on defense than Drummond" and like...is there any proof of that?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Folks in the game thread were like "Gasol's going to be worse on defense than Drummond" and like...is there any proof of that?

He defended PNR very well, and obviously we can’t expect him to challenge shots like AD, but Drummond was really lost today.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Marc is better than Drummond and that has been apparent for a while now.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Yeah, I thought Marc was clearly one of if not the best role player in todays game on both ends. This entire series he's been very solid and I def. trust him much more on defense then Drummond even though I see slight improvements from him the more he plays with the starters.

We just desperately need the 3 ball to drop a bit more especially with AD out now but Gasol is doing his part.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Agreed, but i was told that Marc is slower in transition and in PnR defense. Prefer Marc matched up with Ayton rather than Drummond, who is clueless outside of rebounding.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

I swear it feels like Vogel had been trying his best to preserve Mark during the season.. like keep him on the bench until a series where we have to have him
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject:

Please coach Vogel, play Marc when you sit Lebron... <3
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject:

People don't understand that the end of a defensive sequence is the most inconsequential part of playing defense, it's all that happens leading up to it that matters a lot more. So they associate all opponent penetration scores with Gasol.
Oh and this attitude persists even if the Lakers outscore the opponent when Gasol's on the floor - since the scores Lakers get are attributed exclusively to the guy that gets the score, not the preceding part of the play that has the setup, passing, spacing, playmaking. The most that may get recognized is the direct assist leading up to the score.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject:

Marc screaming at the top of his lungs in frustration after turning the ball over* is me every Monday morning.

* That was an incredible play from Chris Paul. He looked 20 years old on that steal with his quick second jump after Marc's initial pump fake got him in the air.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 63, 64, 65  Next
Page 55 of 65
Jump to: