LakersGround.net 20th anniversary celebration and memories thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan is a Pacers fan
hamburgerrrs
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Hello everybody i hope everyone is having a blessed day congratulations to everybody on this 20 years of this great forum. Im 31 years old i have great memories of this place since middle school I remember the days of the summers in high school refreshing and refreshing the site checking for Emplay eric Pincus laker insider info lol the good ol days have a good one everybody cheers!
Osama YoMama
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Anyone else remember the ESPN message boards?

GSW 135
LAL 95

Result:

LAL 123
GSW 119
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Osama YoMama wrote:

Yes, and CNN/SI, which banned me permanently.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Osama YoMama wrote:

Yes, the first sizeable migration to LG came from the ESPN boards. Not many of that first crew still post actively, but a few notable ones like Mike AT LG (aka Mikers73 I believe) are still around. Pokoy is somewhere out there. Ol' JD was part of that group too.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Osama YoMama wrote:

Yes, the first sizeable migration to LG came from the ESPN boards. Not many of that first crew still post actively, but a few notable ones like Mike AT LG (aka Mikers73 I believe) are still around. Pokoy is somewhere out there. Ol' JD was part of that group too.

That's where I came from. I think I had a different handle, what it was I have no idea. I haven't thought about those ESPN boards in years, but they were lit. I remember that.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Monty forgot the Texas memes. Derek Fisher elbow to Ron Artest chest during 2009 playoffs, Dreamshake steaming mad about an elbow to the throat. Monty trolling with memes about body anatomy chart in Texas with neck arrow pointing to the chest and sunshine in Texas as a image of a clear night sky. One of the highlights on LG for sure.

Ahh, Dreamshake and Ron's neckchest. Dream wanted to invent a new anatomical definition rather than cede his dubious claim, especially because Patsy was the one he was battling.

Except for closet Clippers fans and Dreamshake, I don't believe we have that many fans from other teams here in LG right now.
Dreamshake of course, but I remember guys like Man in Black(?) and RipCityRobert.

PhillyDoc I believe was a Spurs fan.

PhillyDoc! Lollercoasterzzz. Thaaaaat's a MOST important one that a lot of us forgot. That guy was a piece of work. He's lucky he hasn't been around here last year and so far this year.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
wolfpaclaker has the same number of syllables and the same cadence as Studebaker if you wanna mimic that reference. Just something I noticed.

Stud-e-baker, wolf-pac-la-ker, Comm-u-nist bloc...

"Meet me in Temecula" has a nice cadence.

Law-rence Of A-ray-bee-yaa, Meet me in Te-mec-u-laaa, Ole Miss, John Glenn, Lis-ton beats Patt-er-son...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Lol i was PAing on the early stages of the movie Avatar when i first found this site out of boredom between errands. When Shoes was going after ever LO hater on here. When everyone was arguing whether Bynum should be added in a KG trade (lmao). Thats how gd long I’ve been here.

Avatar (the James Cameron movie) took FOUR years to make?...

Production-wise yes, not including however long it took for Cameron to write. Script was done by then. Funny thing is my first day on the job, i had to go to Kinkos and make like 30 copies of the script for everyone. “Guard this with your life” my boss told me, because if ended up on the Internet, my industry career would end right then and there. Drove all the way back to set and distributed copies before realizing i was missing one... the one i left in the copier. Scariest 15 minutes of my young life driving back to that kinkos hoping it was still there. (It was).

That's a thousand times worse than paying for gas with cash and then forgetting to put it in and driving off and then having to turn around and panic at every car that gets even close to that pump. I did that once and was at least a couple of U turns down the street before I went "D'OH!!1" and I had to wait on more than one red light and it was a busy time of day w/ a ton of drivers about and I still got back before someone pulled in. It was goin on a decade ago, but I can still reasonably picture it in my mind. I rank it over the Miracle On Ice myself. The only thing that saved me is that the pump sections were in different directions and my spot and its closest exit was pointed in the less busy direction. I remember hearing CMB talk about doing this before so I'll admit freely to my early onset Alzheimer moment.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Basketball Fan is a Pacers fan

Femme, too.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Osama YoMama wrote:

asbnll message boards? Who besides bozak and Larry C used to do those? Bozak and his rantings about "the anti-guard".
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Osama YoMama wrote:

asbnll message boards? Who besides bozak and Larry C used to do those? Bozak and his rantings about "the anti-guard".

Ah the memories.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
AD23 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Raise your hand if you migrated here from Lakerstalk?

More like LG to LT to LG + LT and back to LG.

FatSam, good dude I remember him.

Remember that nlbford character? He was a cad. Rumor has it he posts here now.

Oh man. That dude . . . the worst. I think if he were posting here, we'd know it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
AD23 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Raise your hand if you migrated here from Lakerstalk?

More like LG to LT to LG + LT and back to LG.

FatSam, good dude I remember him.

When I first got here people said they came from Rivals..

FatSam99
Butch
CTF
Phil
Some derp named Trey lol
Greg
Clone Wars
More... many
Murdock
JD was in an van down by the river
Where is Ventura.. he has been here forever

There used to be some dude that would converse back and forth with his clones in threads.. it was nuts.. lol

ESPN boards-->LG-->LT-->Back to LG when LT folded up.

Crazy to think how much time has passed. Doesn't seem like 20+ years
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

LFsnz67
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Osama YoMama wrote:

I used to be on there. Bozak was amusing lol.
It really was the wild west on there with anything goes.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

JUST-MING - would post stuff and immediately delete the comments, but not the post itself. You'd literally see a page with 10 posts saying "comment deleted" by J-M. Some thought it was post-padding and all thought it was . . . weird.

Alberto Giacometti, famed sculptor/painter, used to trash his works over and over before releasing them. He could never get them the way he wanted. MING is an arTEEst. There's a movie on now about him where he's played by Geoffrey Rush. I just turned to it and it was on such a scene where he burned a stack of drawings in a trash can, and it reminded me of MING.

I mean this in a good way, MINGy, would never talk junk about you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Giacometti
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
20 years, the rise and fall of JD, the banishment of Sky, the inside info of Lionel the Laker, the draft day rumor of Emplay, LG has had a special place in our hearts. Happy anniversary

Could you please elaborate for those of use that are very curious but dont know what you are talking about?

JD was a polarizing mod (he had a very distinct style), Sky was an excellent poster (tho I don't know if he was actually banished or if he merely stopped posting - MING, what info do you have on that one?), Lionel was a purported Laker insider who turned out to be LiEnel instead, emplay rumor involved the Lakers getting Jonathan Bender and the Pacers' pick iirc (it was just a trade rumor that didn't unfold, basically. In Emplay's defense, rumors like that falling thru are not unheard of; see Haley saying Boozer was a done deal in 05 and it fell thru; a rumor can even be true for awhile and then it falls thru).

There was also the controversy of "This post was deleted by JUST-MING". That one lasted a few years. People wondered if there was an alternate universe that MING's posts were going to. Please explain this one, MING. You must know where all those posts are today.

This is just going off of my memory but what I remember of Sky was he was insistent that Dr. Buss would never go over 100 mill in payroll ( this was during the days when there was serious discussion on these forums if LO was worth keeping around). Of course Dr. Buss did and Sky, soon after just stopped posting. He was very knowledgeable poster and I loved his posts but apparently he was also kinda egotistical. I think he got a ton a (bleep) from other people for being wrong and just stopped posting.

I do remember him being a fan of the Warriors cuz he lived up north so I guess he had a good time rooting for Steph and the guys.

!...
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject:

I still wish I could find the Lamar Odom free agent thread.Such an epic thread, so many bans,only eclipsed by the Jlin thread in terms of insanity.

!...
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject:

So many great memories and hours glued here.

I was an embarrassing young kid starting threads like the Jessica Alba thread back in the days. Now I’m 32, slightly less embarrassing and just enjoy quality content from the great minds here.

Cheers to many more years!
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
20 years, the rise and fall of JD, the banishment of Sky, the inside info of Lionel the Laker, the draft day rumor of Emplay, LG has had a special place in our hearts. Happy anniversary

Could you please elaborate for those of use that are very curious but dont know what you are talking about?

If my memory serves me Sky stopped posting after he made a wager with another poster on the number of wins by the Lakers in a season. They bet their accounts. Sky won the bet and the other poster welched on his bet after some posters said oh "please don't leave". The loser still posts on this forum to this day and is "well respected" by some . Shortly thereafter Sky stopped posting.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Osama YoMama wrote:

I used to lurk on asbnl-l, it’s been almost 19 years so my memory is not what it used to be: someone posted a question here about the salary cap with Larry’s name in the thread title.

So I posted it back on asbnl-l and Larry actually signed up here to answer the question. Later, Bozak signed up here (aka Beauzaq) as well, however he and the “anti-guard” era on LG didn’t last too long.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

If my memory serves me Sky stopped posting after he made a wager with another poster on the number of wins by the Lakers in a season. They bet their accounts. Sky won the bet and the other poster welched on his bet after some posters said oh "please don't leave". The loser still posts on this forum to this day and is "well respected" by some . Shortly thereafter Sky stopped posting.

That sounds familiar. There was a Sp*r* fan who used to post here who welched on a bet with me on the Lakers/Sp*r* WCF Series in 2002. IIRC, he was supposed to change his sig to "The Lakers are the classiest franchise in sports" or something like that.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

That sounds familiar. There was a Sp*r* fan who used to post here who welched on a bet with me on the Lakers/Sp*r* WCF Series in 2002. IIRC, he was supposed to change his sig to "The Lakers are the classiest franchise in sports" or something like that.

Guys, refresh my memory, but didn't Sky make a few posts later at some point in time after being away? Then went missing again.
Anyways, he was a great basketball mind, often made me re-watch clips to understand the game better, kinda like Mike and DB do.
Fourplay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject:

What do I have to do to get my jersey retired?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: