LAKERS -at- SUNS - 6/1 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- SUNS - 6/1 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Backs Against The Wall... The Lakers were in the process of giving up their second massive run of the first half and falling behind by 21 points when Vogel called a timeout.

The lack of calls seemed to be getting into their heads and they were fading into the night.

In desperation, Vogel brought in his deep bench to run with LeBron trying to shake things up. The Suns matched up small, but the run continued, 21-2 -- no Laker field goals until 4:21 left when THT scored an And-1 layup.

This game was over before it began. The team picked up where they left off in that third quarter of the last one when playing without AD.

They were outscored 32-10 in the second quarter to trail by 30, 66-36, at the half. It was just a matter of another 24 minutes before the Lakers finally fell, 115-85.

They trail 3-2 and hope AD might be able to go in the next game.

No AD, no chance it seems. Both sides of the floor were awful tonight.

LeBron -- -- The game face while waiting for the jumpball tonight...intense. I don’t think the body was healthy enough to follow the mind, however. Defensively, he wasn’t himself. Again, getting scored on too easily. Offensively, even when the opponent went small early on, he struggled to get into the paint, elevate and finish. We need explosive LeBron and I don’t think he has that gear in him yet. It was there pre-injury. He had that three ball going in the third quarter and that was the best thing going for the Lakers all night. But after sitting down we were still down 29 after the end of the third. The Stats: He scored 24 points on 9-19 shooting (6-10 from three) to go with 5 boards, 7 assists, 3 turnovers and 1 foul in 32 minutes. He was a -24.

Schröder -- -- Bagel Alert, Major Bagel Alert. Wow. He looked very hesitant to start the game. This is a game that can leave a lasting impression for those who are interested in his services next season. This is a contract year and you have to show out in the playoffs. When we needed him to step up and be No. 2...well, he looked like No. 2 to open this one -- just total crap. The lack of spacing certainly hurts, but he just played confused versus decisive and got eaten alive. No confidence in his shot. He had a bagel, 0-9, after three quarters of ball in agame we needed guys to step up. Playoffs often equal payoffs. And this certainly puts a bad taste out there. The Suns do have a lengthier defender on him, but even wide open, he just was a non-factor. The Stats: He had 0 points on 0-9 shooting (0-4 from three) to go with 4 boards, 1 assist and 2 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a -17.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- Good to see KCP back out there after the injury, but not if he was going to reinjure himself. He took just one shot in the first half. Made a nice return pass to LeBron for a score, but nothing in the second half as his minutes were cut short when he looked in pain. He went right to the locker room and would not return. So, he tried to give it a go, but clearly just wasn’t healthy enough. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting to go with 1 board, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 15 minutes. He was a -19.

Drummond -- -- At some point in this game, I would have just liked our guys to go at Ayton to try to get him off the floor with fouls. It was the only chance. Ideally, though, you have a guard (or LeBron), who can come off Drummond screens and get downhill with odd-man advantages. The paint was just crowded and the Lakers were moving too slow as a result. Not much from Drummond tonight offensively. He had a few offensive boards, but occasionally he seems to give those right back with bad turnovers. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 2-5 shooting (3-3 from the line) to go with 13 boards, 4 offensive, 4 turnovers and 3 fouls in 22 minutes. He was a -8.

Morris -- -- From the depths of the roster to the starting lineup in a pivotal playoff game. You could slide LeBron to PF and start Kuzma, like we saw in that horrible third quarter in the last one. You could go with Wes and run a little smaller. Keef, of course, had that stretch coming into the playoffs of just abysmal shooting from three. The hope is the law of averages balance out for you. First shot of the game, he sank a wing three. Not a lot of minutes, however, as things fell apart pretty quickly later in that first quarter. Last year in the playoffs, his best minutes were along side AD, not in replace of him. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 1-2 shooting (1-1 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 1 assist, 1 block, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 10 minutes. He was a -13.

Harrell -- -- We went down 30 in the first half and he didn’t see any floor time. Down 29 after three, still no run after 36 minutes. Vogel making him think long and hard about that player option. He started the fourth as we went to a Trezz, Kuz, AC, McLemore, THT lineup down 29. He’d get an And-1 lob finish. He crashed the glass for FTs on a THT drive. Defensively, hard to critique down big. But he wasn’t fully engaged there. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 3-5 shooting (3-4 from the line) to go with 3 boards and no fouls in 12 minutes. He was a -1.

Gasol -- -- Of the healthy bigmen, LeBron has looked most like LeBron when he’s been running at PF with Gasol. Our non-LeBron minutes have been seemingly most effective when Gasol is out there. They opted to bring him off the bench midway through the first quarter to run with LeBron. He quickly picked up a couple of fouls. You can see the Suns trying to snake the pick and rolls against him. His third foul in the second quarter was bogus. He had his arms straight up in a crowd. But he had to sit nonetheless. He picked up his fifth foul just 4 minutes into the second half. Kind of taken out with the foul situation in this one, but our problems were deeper than that. The Stats: The Action: Pump fake on three line to get an ayton foul as he stepped in for two FTs. Bogus third foul holding arms straight up. // He sank a wign three.

Kuzma -- -- Coming into this game, he was 3-16 from three. That’s not cutting it. Big Shot Rob wanted Kuz to relax going into this game. Few were as relaxed as Horry when it came to pressure shooting. I think he’s right to an extent. Kuz has looked like he was feeling the pressure. Maybe load up that game film from the last time he played the Suns in the regular season. That’s the Kuzma we need to dial up. Tonight, he started off missing a wing three, trying to kick his legs out. Just focus on good fundamentals. He’d have some slashes and cuts to the hoop to get some scores, but it didn’t matter. Nothing looks consistent. He had a nice looking welbo pull-up in the third where everything came together. Then his next pull-up, he didn’t follow through, just punched the shot up there. He hit a stepback three in the fourth. He blew past Bridges for an And-1, as well. There’s no pressure, though, down that big. His shooting troubles extended to the FT line tonight, as well. The Stats: He scored 15 points on 6-13 shooting (1-5 from three, 2-5 from the line) to go with 1 board, 1 turnovers and 2 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a -14

Caruso -- -- He broke up a 16-0 Suns run with a corner three in the first half. But the Lakers shot 3-15 from three in the half. Not a great game from anyone tonight on either end, AC included. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-8 shooting (1-4 from three) to go with 1 board, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 21 minutes. He was a -20.

Horton-Tucker -- -- Break in case of emergency substitution tonight. We brought him out early when things went south in that second quarter. We then started the fourth with him down 29. He sank a three. He went coast to coast for a layup. He scooped in a layup to beat the shotclock. Grabbed a bunch of boards. He had a double-double in just 16 minutes. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 4-9 shooting (1-2 from three, 2-3 from the line) to go with 11 boards, 1 assist, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a -8.

Matthews -- -- Wes’s 0-3 shooting in the first half, just par for the course. He seemed to catch CP3 in the right spot in the shoulder as he tried to box out on the offensive glass in the third quarter. Paul just collapsed. The Suns called a timeout and sat him with 5:46 up 35 in the third. Will that carry over to the next one? That might be the only interesting story coming out of this one. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 1-5 shooting from three (2-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 1 steal and 3 fouls in 22 minutes. He was a -10.

Dudley -- -- Got Dudz some garbage time minutes. I actually wouldn’t have minded seeing him in that second quarter when we lost our composure. See if he could keep the guys focused. Mentally, the team just got steamrolled. The Stats: He didn’t shoot or score in 4 minutes. He was a -2.

McLemore -- -- One of the guys shooting blanks tonight. He didn’t have great looks, but even his best one hit backboard first. Late in the game, there was a horns sequence where he lined up in the high post. I swear that must have been the first time he’s ever done that because he didn’t know what he was running. Ugly game. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-5 shooting (0-2 from three) to go with 6 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a -8.
McKinnie -- -- He came in for fourth quarter garbage time. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 1 board and 1 foul in 11 minutes. He was a +0.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: The Lakers had an early lead and the teams went to a timeout tied up 10-10. The Suns would rattle of a 14-0 run during this stretch and they were off to the races.

Key Substitution: Second half, he started Gasol, LeBron, KCP, AC, Schröder. Moving on to the next game, I think. He sat KCP after three minutes for Wes as he looked in pain. He went to the locker room. Wes would later crash the glass and bumped CP3 in his shoulder from behind, it seemed, and CP3 went down in pain. Didn’t look like anything unusual, but it could be possible the Suns take a step back because of that.

Key Stats: Scoring 10 points in the second quarter. I’d definitely like an offensive mind on the bench for the Lakers next year. The dry spells offensively this year have been especially atrocious.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Horrid game.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:

A loss was inevitable, but I didn't think we'd look this pathetic. It's hard to be optimistic about Thursday.

Our offense is worse than the Nets defense.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Sorry you had to write this one up. Ugly game.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Well, at least the Celtics ain’t getting a ring this year.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject:

When the refs gave Booker his first of TWO!!!! and-1 phantom fouls to go up 15-10 on us, is where the game was decided in my opinion...
Yes, we played horribly.
Yes, Our best player (IMO) is injured on the bench
Yes, the Suns are a good team.
But the Refs can change the tone of a game in a snap, and Tim Donaghey mentioned on the record, how EASY it is to change the tone of the game with the whistle.
If called fair we might still have lost, but not by much, and could have even won.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB - rough one for you I imagine.

Nothing to say today. Lots to say if they lose Thursday.

Hope for a miracle, I suppose.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Hopefully the Clips don't make it to the Western conference finals and this season is a wash!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Hopefully the Clips don't make it to the Western conference finals and this season is a wash!

That's about where I'm at as well.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject:

I never miss a game and haven’t for decades, but I just couldn’t watch all of this one. By the middle of the 2nd quarter I found myself reaching for the remote to fast forward (I time shift everything I watch). The fast forwarding continued throughout the 3rd quarter without me even realizing it, it was just too much to take. By the 4th I was done and had to turn it off.

We have a really loaded team and yes we’re not winning the championship without AD, but our team should be able to hang most of the teams in the playoffs even without AD. This was embarrassing and so sad. We probably should of made the Lowry trade as it was our best chance to win this year, even if it would of screwed us a bit for future seasons.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject:

A loss is a loss

This squad should be totally EMBARASSED & DISRESPECTED

If they lay another egg - players such as Schoeder, Harrell, Gasol, Drummond and others will not get salary increase in their next contracts (unless they are content with playing with lower tier teams that are willing to overpay)

Will this squad come back with passion, focus and energy?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject:

You're a warrior for doing the recap after this game, DB.
Jeez, I wish I could forget yesterday's game.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject:

That was just ugly. We rolled over. No heart in that one. We were outmatched talent wise without AD, but the urgency was all with the Suns.

The only positive is that perhaps the Suns used up their most urgent gear. And we still have that in our arsenal. We play for our lives in game 6. And the Suns, that hardest game for a younger team at times can be that close out game.

There is nothing really to say here, other than we have to play a lot harder and make some shots. If we do not make open shots, the Suns keep doing what they do. And hope that somehow AD shows up in game 6 (and 7 possibly) at least 80% of himself. More than on O, we miss AD on defense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject:

1 pt loss or 30 pt loss don’t matter
Brush it off
Drop those open threes
Need one of those Bron 30-10-10 special edition
One game at a time
Get the home win
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

Role players have to hit shots when given the opportunity. The shooting was especially abysmal in game 5. I don’t know if LeBron has it in him to do a game 6 2012 Miami vs Boston performance, but he needs something equal or greater than that if AD is out again in game 6. It needs to be one of those insta-classics that goes in infamy like that look he had vs Boston in that game 6. The role players are what they are and hopefully they don’t just lay down.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

I posted this in the game thread just before I exited it. I expected negativity to abound. It did.

Quote:
STOP BLAMING VOGEL AND PELINKA. REMEMBER WE WERE #1 SEED, WAY AHEAD OF THE PACK. THEN CAME THE INJURIES. iF IT WEREN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULDN'T HAVE ANY LUCK AT ALL.

I stand by it.

Prior to LeBron's 1st groin injury we were something like 6 games ahead of the pack, talking repeat.

Many of those now saying Pelinka made a mistake by trading Howard, McGee, and Rondo were praising him for the trades. They were lauding him for signing Schroder and Harrell, now they're saying they were mistakes. Hindsight is 20 20.

I saw LeBron look like a defeated man. It hurt. I saw role players afraid to take shots. I'll say something I never thought I'd say, WE'RE DONE! I don't think we'll win another game.

I'm not a Vogel fan, never have been. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's as inconsistent as Kuzma. I didn't think he was the right coach for this roster. I stand by that.

If not for injuries I thought, as do many of those now complaining, we would repeat.

It's not Vogel or Pelinka's fault we're where we are, it's injuries.

As much as it pains me to say, I think the Nets are going to win the Larry O'Brien. They have 3 of the most polarizing players in the game but it's gonna be very, very, very, difficult to defeat them.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

Suns fan here coming in peace.

Im surprised I havent seen more about the discrepancies in crowd sizes. Staples had...7k? Suns were almost at full capacity. That wasnt fair at all.

That was as loud as Ive ever seen the Suns arena and the Suns played like they were on cocaine. I know you guys are upset with "effort" but when the other team is feeding off that rush, it becomes hard to win WITH all your players available.

Lakers were already in a bad mental mindset from losing game four and then losing AD. There was no way they were going to win that game.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I posted this in the game thread just before I exited it. I expected negativity to abound. It did.

Quote:
STOP BLAMING VOGEL AND PELINKA. REMEMBER WE WERE #1 SEED, WAY AHEAD OF THE PACK. THEN CAME THE INJURIES. iF IT WEREN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULDN'T HAVE ANY LUCK AT ALL.

I stand by it.

Prior to LeBron's 1st groin injury we were something like 6 games ahead of the pack, talking repeat.

Many of those now saying Pelinka made a mistake by trading Howard, McGee, and Rondo were praising him for the trades. They were lauding him for signing Schroder and Harrell, now they're saying they were mistakes. Hindsight is 20 20.

I saw LeBron look like a defeated man. It hurt. I saw role players afraid to take shots. I'll say something I never thought I'd say, WE'RE DONE!

I don't think we'll win another game.

I'm not a Vogel fan, never have been. I've said it before and I'll say it again,

he's as inconsistent as Kuzma.

I didn't think he was the right coach for this roster. I stand by that.

If not for injuries I thought, as do many of those now complaining, we would repeat.

It's not Vogel or Pelinka's fault we're where we are, it's injuries.

As much as it pains me to say, I think the Nets are going to win the Larry O'Brien. They have 3 of the most polarizing players in the game but it's gonna be very, very, very, difficult to defeat them.

So Jod, many good points. On top of that, you went way out on the limb and boldly predicted the Laks will go 0-1 the rest of the way. . . . And actually . . . Kuzma's become very consistent.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

DSF_27 wrote:

Im surprised I havent seen more about the discrepancies in crowd sizes. Staples had...7k? Suns were almost at full capacity. That wasnt fair at all.

That was as loud as Ive ever seen the Suns arena and the Suns played like they were on cocaine. I know you guys are upset with "effort" but when the other team is feeding off that rush, it becomes hard to win WITH all your players available.

Lakers were already in a bad mental mindset from losing game four and then losing AD. There was no way they were going to win that game.

The only hope was that they have played a lot of games without AD this year and that maybe they would be able to switch gears quickly and compete, but that didn't happen. We had health last year, we don't this year. We couldn't maintain home court as a result and that's coming into play.

But we don't go anywhere without a healthy AD/LeBron. That's how it goes. It's hard to repeat in a traditional year. Even harder when the turnaround is so quick between seasons.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I'd feel better if LeBron was playing like he was earlier in the season. He's just not in playoff LeBron mode as far as attacking like he can. Mentioned that in Game 1 as it's really concerning. Even when the lineups are in his favor.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Thanks DB - rough one for you I imagine.

When it's over early, yeah not easy. You wish you could move on instead of having to put together this post. Hardest ones, however, are when they are just playing stupidly in a close game. Those are painful to watch/write up because it's killing you the whole time.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

DSF_27 wrote:

Good point...I noticed that, too.

Just as a side note, Staples Center is kind of weird even at full capacity. The acoustics are too good. I don't know what the arena in Phoenix is like, if it's more old school...but arenas with old fashioned bad acoustics create a din that is LOUD. Good acoustics are kind of dead. I've seen concerts and games at Staples, and there is a weird disconnect.

Anyway, by the second quarter, I think the Lakers should just have forfeited. That could well have been the most painful, exhausting playoff game I've ever seen. Even Lebron looked like, man, I can't do this, I can't carry this, ugh.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'd feel better if LeBron was playing like he was earlier in the season. He's just not in playoff LeBron mode as far as attacking like he can. Mentioned that in Game 1 as it's really concerning. Even when the lineups are in his favor.

I don't think he's anywhere near 100%. He hasn't been the same since the first groin injury.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: