In retrospect, what moves would you have made over the offseason?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think they did anything wrong. With a healthy LeBron and AD we would have had a great chance to go all the way. With LeBron hobbled and AD injured, we wouldn’t have gone anywhere no matter what other offseason moves we had made.

The only concern at this point is how those moves affect us going forward. Drummond might be a nice permanent piece for the team. Harrell may or may not walk, but that probably won’t affect us much either way. It would hurt to see Schroder walk getting nothing in return, but that could help the team's bottom line in the long run, even if Schroder couldn’t be replaced right away.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Kept the 2020 1st rounder that would become Jaden McDaniels instead of the Dennis trade, as Lakers would have that potential wing stopper and real trade asset too. Find another way to trade Green and another asset for a better fit if possible.

Green actually had a rebound year this season and was the player we thought we were signing originally... 40%+ from three and elite defense.

He played really well with the Sixers, but I had no faith and convinced no chance Green would shoot this well if he stayed as a Laker. Even when he was dismal in the playoffs as a shooter, he was still an effective defender. By the end of the playoffs, he was shooting worse than 30% from the field overall and he needed a change of scenery and Lakers needed another scorer which Dennis was supposed to be.

Why the unusually bad shooting year with us and when he LeBron and AD to draw attention away from him?

Just something about the Lakers where shooters come here and get spooked. Like Glen Rice, Steve Blake, Matt Barnes, Wes Matthews this year, Danny last year, etc. Also, Danny has been known for having his best year's when its contract season time as well. I just think it also comes down to roster construction since Lakers had Bron, AD, & McGee in the front court and Avery Bradley in the backcourt, so Danny was the only real 3 point threat teams had to worry about and teams would live with Bron shooting the ball as well. With the Sixers for instance this season, they have much more space with Tobias Harris & Seth Curry in the starting lineup compared to the Lakers. Also, going back to when he was with the Raptors they had Lowry, Kawhi, Siakam, and Gasol who could all stretch the floor as well.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Kept the 2020 1st rounder that would become Jaden McDaniels instead of the Dennis trade, as Lakers would have that potential wing stopper and real trade asset too. Find another way to trade Green and another asset for a better fit if possible.

Green actually had a rebound year this season and was the player we thought we were signing originally... 40%+ from three and elite defense.

He played really well with the Sixers, but I had no faith and convinced no chance Green would shoot this well if he stayed as a Laker. Even when he was dismal in the playoffs as a shooter, he was still an effective defender. By the end of the playoffs, he was shooting worse than 30% from the field overall and he needed a change of scenery and Lakers needed another scorer which Dennis was supposed to be.

Why the unusually bad shooting year with us and when he LeBron and AD to draw attention away from him?

They were hurt? Or you expecting DG to create his own shot?
Maginka
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Get AD a yoga instructor and a nutritionist in lieu of tacos and PS5
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

What? They were healthy all of last season.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

I am just saying DG won’t shoot the same % if he is with the lakers this season
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: In retrospect, what moves would you have made over the offseason?

CandyCanes wrote:
1) Re-sign Dwight.

2) Trade for Chris Paul instead of Schroeder.

3) Use MLE on Ibaka or Crowder instead of Harrell.

Using the MLE was a big mistake. Lakers forced themselves into a hard-cap for no reason

Lakers should have run it back with Rondo and Dwight, traded Danny Green and then used the tax-payer MLE.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Trade THT/KCP/DS for Lowry and pray

Can we work a sign and trade with DS this off-season for Lowry? I am sure they won’t ask for THT this time

Ujiri didn't want KCP or DS in the deal, he wanted THT.

Lowry is an UFA now, I know it is a long shot.
We will have interesting off season with 12 teams have more than 27 mil in cap space and even more teams with more than 15

Where are you getting those numbers?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Can we work a sign and trade with DS this off-season for Lowry? I am sure they won’t ask for THT this time

We will have interesting off season with 12 teams have more than 27 mil in cap space and even more teams with more than 15

https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/262106/2021-NBA-Cap-Space-Projecting-All-30-Teams-Version-20
This depends on how each team operates, but 12 teams can get more than 27 mil in cap space if they want.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject:

The only moves that would have made a difference would have been somehow convincing ADto sit out the first couple months of the season to get fully healthy and then to kidnap Solomon Hill for one game to keep him from crashing into Lebron’s leg.

Keeping Dwight would have been great, but it wouldn’t have made up for a hobbled Lebron and an injured AD.

Ibaka/Harrell wasn’t a choice the Lakers could have made, and Ibaka has been a major injury question for the Clippers too.

Trading for CP3 wasn’t possible. He made far too much money and we had nothing OKC wanted. No picks, and no real young talent (THT hadn’t showed out yet, but even he probably wouldn’t have been enticing enough). Green/KCP/Kuzma or whatever plus a pick wasn’t going to be interesting for OKC.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: In retrospect, what moves would you have made over the offseason?

LakerMindLA wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
1) Re-sign Dwight.

Using the MLE was a big mistake. Lakers forced themselves into a hard-cap for no reason

Lakers should have run it back with Rondo and Dwight, traded Danny Green and then used the tax-payer MLE.

How do we pay rondo 7 mil without MLE?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/262106/2021-NBA-Cap-Space-Projecting-All-30-Teams-Version-20
This depends on how each team operates, but 12 teams can get more than 27 mil in cap space if they want.

Legit thanks for the link. It's a good starting point. I'm only seeing 9 teams that could reach 27M in cap space this summer. Regardless, most teams on that list aren't going to strip themselves down to the brass tacks for a chance at Kyle Lowry like the Lakers did for Kawhi, so a lot of those numbers are unrealistic hypotheticals.

It's good to know that the Mavericks can open up a max cap slot if Josh Richardson opts out, they renounce all their free agents, and don't pick up WCS' second year. But why would they do that when there's no max FA available for them to sign?
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: In retrospect, what moves would you have made over the offseason?

mad55557777 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
1) Re-sign Dwight.

We had his early bird rights, the Lakers could have paid him up to $9m.

The other aspect of bringing back Rondo at an inflated salary without the hardcap is they would have had more salary to make a bigger trade at the deadline if needed.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject:

wrong topic..

Last edited by Palin on Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Legit thanks for the link. It's a good starting point. I'm only seeing 9 teams that could reach 27M in cap space this summer. Regardless, most teams on that list aren't going to strip themselves down to the brass tacks for a chance at Kyle Lowry like the Lakers did for Kawhi, so a lot of those numbers are unrealistic hypotheticals.

It's good to know that the Mavericks can open up a max cap slot if Josh Richardson opts out, they renounce all their free agents, and don't pick up WCS' second year. But why would they do that when there's no max FA available for them to sign?

My mistake, I meant to say 21 mil
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

I’d like to think Trezz is perfect for them. PNR with Luka can be deadly. We didn’t have a guy like Lou to do that with trezz
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

Yeah, but I was asking why he was so bad last year compared to this year with the 76ers.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: In retrospect, what moves would you have made over the offseason?

LakerMindLA wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
1) Re-sign Dwight.

We had his early bird rights, the Lakers could have paid him up to $9m.

The other aspect of bringing back Rondo at an inflated salary without the hardcap is they would have had more salary to make a bigger trade at the deadline if needed.

You are right, I forgot about the early bird, but I highly doubt people would be happy to sign him for 9 mil last season. Playoff rondo or not, we aren’t winning it with a hobbled lebron and AD
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
I dont care what AD wants he has to play as center full time. We shouldn't spend money on frontcourt more than vet min.

DS gotta stay, sorry but we gotta make this work with full training camp and offseason. We don't have any spending power or draft picks to get better.

If Trezz takes the option then trade him and #22 pick for a wing or guard. Also use tax mle on guard/wing.

Also we gotta resign AC and THT too.

This all makes perfect sense and the Lakers will still sign four centers so AD can play PF next season.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

Yeah, but I was asking why he was so bad last year compared to this year with the 76ers.

It has nothing to do with the Lakers. DG gets in grooves on a season by season basis, but he's never a bad shooter from behind the arc - he fluctuates between league average and great. I wish Kuzma shot like DG.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject:

I would’ve kept Damien Jones over Drummond
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: In retrospect, what moves would you have made over the offseason?

CandyCanes wrote:

I still wouldn't do that, even in retrospect. We would've had to gut our team and get rid of our depth, plus with all the injuries we had, CP3 wouldn't have had been the difference, especially with no real depth left.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: In retrospect, what moves would you have made over the offseason?

CandyCanes wrote:
1) Re-sign Dwight.

They can do 1 and 2 next season though. CP3 will opt out for the suns. If they will not win a ring this season, CP3 might go to a contending team.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject:

To me, the biggest mistake was signing Drummond to prevent him going to the Nets instead of bringing more perimeter help. By then we already knew what DS was (and was not) capable of, so that would be the main difference.

During off-season, the main change would be to keep Rondo. I liked Gasol over Dwight, but in a best case scenario I'd have signed both. LBJ, Rondo & Gasol to handle the ball is something I can live with.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

DaGreat81 wrote:
None of those moves would have mattered, the lakers weren’t healthy, this team can still run it back and can win the championship

Exactly. With no Davis, half LeBron and half KCP, there was nothing that could've been done. If healthy we had a great shot at repeating with this roster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: