Which post-threepeat playoff series loss upset you the most and where does this series rank?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which playoff series loss upset you the most?
2002-2003 semifinals vs Spurs
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
2003-2004 finals vs Pistons
47%
 47%  [ 17 ]
2005-2006 first round vs Suns
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2006-2007 first round vs Suns
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2007-2008 finals vs Celtics
30%
 30%  [ 11 ]
2010-2011 semifinals vs Mavericks
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
2011-2012 semifinals vs Thunder
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2012-2013 first round vs Spurs
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2020-2021 first round vs Suns
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 36

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Which post-threepeat playoff series loss upset you the most and where does this series rank?

For me, 07-08 was the worst because it felt like we should have won that series. 2010-2011 was next because it was the end of the Kobe/Pau/Phil era. 02-03 and 03-04 were also bad.

This one sucks because we were the conference favorite if not for injuries. But I can accept it more because we just weren’t healthy.

Last edited by CandyCanes on Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

03-04, I still have nightmares about Mason yelling DEEEEETRRROIT PISTON BALLLLLLLLL. Ugh. Really thought we had it after .04

02-03 has some parallels to this year with the injuries and the team never really getting back on track.

I understand the angst about 08 because of the team we lost against. But keep in mind the previous summer was insane(Kobe demanding a trade, the front office dirty laundry being aired out). If you told me that after all that the Lakers would make it all the way to the finals at the end of the season, I'd call you crazy. But i'd take it in a heartbeat.

!...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
03-04, I still have nightmares about Mason yelling DEEEEETRRROIT PISTON BALLLLLLLLL. Ugh. Really thought we had it after .04

02-03 has some parallels to this year with the injuries and the team never really getting back on track.

I understand the angst about 08 because of the team we lost against. But keep in mind the previous summer was insane(Kobe demanding a trade, the front office dirty laundry being aired out). If you told me that after all that the Lakers would make it all the way to the finals at the end of the season, I'd call you crazy. But i'd take it in a heartbeat.

In 07-08, it just seemed like it was there... I even felt like we were the better team going into that series.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject:

07-08 against the Celtics. I'll never forget that game 6. Complete humiliation.
Thank God we got them 2 years later.

2011 against the Mavs was painful too. The team was falling apart (physically and mentally) and Kobe couldn't do all by himself.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

2011 against the Mavs was painful too. The team was falling apart (physically and mentally) and Kobe couldn't do all by himself.

09-10 was great, but it didn't feel completely satisfying because KG wasn't the same player at that point.

If only we'd gotten 07-08, Kobe would have had two threepeats and Phil would have had four.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject:

pistons fore sure. Scott williams cheap shotted Malone. As dysfunctional as we were when he was right that team would have beaten pistons. he was a legit punisher with a fade away game.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
pistons fore sure. Scott williams cheap shotted Malone. As dysfunctional as we were when he was right that team would have beaten pistons. he was a legit punisher with a fade away game.

and could slow down Sheed who is the main reason we lost.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

and could slow down Sheed who is the main reason we lost.

he and stockton were so dirty but both so sly. His elbows were bigger than ben wallace.

I hated him but loved his physicality.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

The Celtics series was tough considering that we seemed like the favorite and then we lost to our rival. But the 11 and 12 losses were worse. At least in 08 the loss felt like it was the beginning of something, and it was. But In 11 and then even more so in 12 it felt like the end. Those losses really made reality set in that Kobe and the Lakers were no longer the same as they were before. It was even made worse with the departure of PJax.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
The Celtics series was tough considering that we seemed like the favorite and then we lost to our rival. But the 11 and 12 losses were worse. At least in 08 the loss felt like it was the beginning of something, and it was. But In 11 and then even more so in 12 it felt like the end. Those losses really made reality set in that Kobe and the Lakers were no longer the same as they were before. It was even made worse with the departure of PJax.

i don't think we were the favorites in 2008. missed Ariza and Bynum for sure. it was a surprise Lakers even made to the Finals given the Pau trade was mid season.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

i don't think we were the favorites in 2008. missed Ariza and Bynum for sure. it was a surprise Lakers even made to the Finals given the Pau trade was mid season.

I mean going into the series. It seemed like we had the edge because we had the best player in the series, in his prime.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

These are mine too.

2003-04 against Pistons didn’t bug me as much because we had way too many issues, but I know that’s a frustrating one for most.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject:

1989 Pistons. Undefeated up to that point and never even got to compete.
2008 Celtics, we choked away the Paul Pierce wheelchair game. Radmanovic was terrible and if Ariza wasn't hurt and played instead we would have won.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
1989 Pistons. Undefeated up to that point and never even got to compete.
2008 Celtics, we choked away the Paul Pierce wheelchair game. Radmanovic was terrible and if Ariza wasn't hurt and played instead we would have won.

we werent winning in 2008
leone Powe went to the line more times in 12 minutes than Kobe/pau during an entire game. They needed Bos to become relevant. They have 1 ring the last 30yrs.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Game 4 against the Celtics in 08 was arguably the most depressing one for me. Most people probably remember it as the Sasha meltdown game. Up 24, about to go 2-2 in the series, only for a historic level collapse. One defensive stop or a Kobe bucket was really all it took to stop the momentum, but it didn't happen.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Pistons Series in 2004....that was the end of the Shaq-Kobe era and everything fell apart in free agency.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

That Pistons series was a complete officiating joke.

The whole thing was pathetic. ABC quit showing replays, it was so bad.

But in the highlights, they would show footage of Kobe missing 4 or 5 jumpers and say, "see, Lakers aren't attacking the basket".

Meanwhile, Billups & Co. were racking up fouls 15 to 20 feet from the basket and being marched to the line.

The refs even called penalties on Shaq on the opening tip 2 or 3 of the games.

The fix was in. The NBA was scared of having Kobe win a title and being convicted of rape a few months later.

(And no, the Malone injury didn't help).
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1-50cf-ZJo

Game 4 against the Celtics in 08 was arguably the most depressing one for me. Most people probably remember it as the Sasha meltdown game. Up 24, about to go 2-2 in the series, only for a historic level collapse. One defensive stop or a Kobe bucket was really all it took to stop the momentum, but it didn't happen.

Was especially frustrating because we really got ripped off in Game 2 in Boston (the Leon Powe Homeless Hour), but the Celtics got aided in Game 4.

I was proud of the team battling in Game 5 and at least getting the thing back to Boston.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Easily the finals against the Pistons!

Has any other team ever had a starting line-up consisting of 5 of the Top 50 all-time NBA greats NOT win a championship?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Easily the finals against the Pistons!

Has any other team ever had a starting line-up consisting of 5 of the Top 50 all-time NBA greats NOT win a championship?

Who was the 5th?

TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

The Finals obviously hurt the most because of the stage we were on, plus we were the favorites in 2004 and it's not like we were completely overmatched in 2008. I'll say that the 2011-2012 series probably hurt more than this one, but only because that was a legit end to that core's run, where we were just beat outright by better teams both times.

This one hurts a lot, too, but for a different reason. Basketball gods (with an assist from Adam Silver and the powers that be forcing an accelerated season) just didn't allow this team to ever get off the ground and reach its true potential. It's a different kind of gut punch than seeing the Kobe/Pau era end, because it feels like a missed opportunity, rather than a year where we probably didn't have a chance to win it purely because of insufficient roster talent.

But you can't win it every year, and we'll be right back in the mix next season (health willing), so I think once the initial shock wears off we'll be fine. Those other series I mentioned were way more crushing, you don't get over that (bleep) for a while (2008 didn't feel good until we redeemed ourselves in 2009), and we literally entered the darkest period in Laker history after the 2012 series.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject:

[quote="T

This one hurts a lot, too, but for a different reason. Basketball gods (with an assist from Adam Silver and the powers that be forcing an accelerated season) just didn't allow this team to ever get off the ground and reach its true potential.
[/quote]

It is partly because that punk Kawhai is so soft he had to "load manage" to a ring. The NBA put their foot down on Lebron and AD and Butler resting because they wanted to nip it in the bud. It was injuries, but also the injuries that sapped team chemistry and needed time playing together.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject:

2002-03 vs. the Spurs.

The team sleptwalked through the regular season, Shaq malingered while Kobe was on an historic scoring binge, guys (except Kobe) looked fat & happy. The team supposedly was going to shake it up and trade Horry at the deadline, but backed off because he was "Big Shot Rob."

"Big Shot Rob" goes 2-35 from beyond the arc in the playoffs, including the (wide open) potential winner in Game 5 with 2 seconds on the clock.

If he hits that shot, we go up, 3-2, and likely win the series, the WCF and the NBA Finals.

Damn.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject:

The damn Celtics for sure although the 3-1 blown lead on the Suns hurt too, this year sucks but injury is injury
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
2002-03 vs. the Spurs.

The team sleptwalked through the regular season, Shaq malingered while Kobe was on an historic scoring binge, guys (except Kobe) looked fat & happy. The team supposedly was going to shake it up and trade Horry at the deadline, but backed off because he was "Big Shot Rob."

"Big Shot Rob" goes 2-35 from beyond the arc in the playoffs, including the (wide open) potential winner in Game 5 with 2 seconds on the clock.

If he hits that shot, we go up, 3-2, and likely win the series, the WCF and the NBA Finals.

Damn.

Man, every time I see that play, I keep thinking Kobe got Bowen up in the air and easily could’ve drew a 3 shot foul.

But, Rob was open and it was the right play. Just wasn’t meant to be that year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: