I still can’t get over the stupid mistake Magic Johnson made
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: I still can’t get over the stupid mistake Magic Johnson made

1. Letting Brook Lopez walk (he would have fit with AD perfectly as stretch 5)

2. Letting Julius Randle walk for nothing, I know he wanted longer contract, but he was a frikin restricted, could have sign and trade for some pieces. He wouldn’t fit on the Lakers, but he is still worth something, like wtf was that just wasting the assets like that?

3. Throwing Zubac away for nothing and to the Clippers of all team!!!
Wtf!!!!

Seriously throwing away assets hurt our choices even going forward.

He is seriously one of the worst GM ever.

Making brain dead decision over and over.

And he was praised for his people skills and connection with the players.

He wasn’t even able to get Paul George to come lol. ( though that was a blessing in disguise, but still)
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject:

The best decision he made as a Laker President was resigning. We won the championship the next year. We could use a Brolo or a Zubac right about now. I remember how unpopular Brolo was on LG. Now he's been thriving ever since he left the Lakers.

Imagine if Magic selected Tatum instead of Ball, he would have seen as a god. But then if he was that good at evaluating talent, he wouldn't have made all those stupid moves.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Signing Beasley and then dumping him and Zubac to the clippers for Mike Muscala was insane. I still don't understand that.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Magic was the worst thing that ever happened to the Laker franchise FO. We can thank Jeanie buss for bringing him along. That was a terrible move.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I still can’t get over the stupid mistake Magic Johnson made

Nonamehero wrote:

2. Letting Julius Randle walk for nothing, I know he wanted longer contract, but he was a frikin restricted, could have sign and trade for some pieces. He wouldn’t fit on the Lakers, but he is still worth something, like wtf was that just wasting the assets like that?

Wtf!!!!

He wasn’t even able to get Paul George to come lol. ( though that was a blessing in disguise, but still)

1. Agreed. I liked Lopez, even tho he was slow, but did not see a big reason to let him go. Maybe $$ an issue.

2. From stories I've read Randle figured with LBJ here he would not get the PT / exposure he wanted, so not sure it would have happened anyway.

3. I'm honestly still not as big on our original Zu-Blocka as others, so am neutral on that.

For me, Magic's mouth ended up being the biggest part of his GM legacy. After helping get LBJ, a year later he had a melt down on his way out and just caused a huge stir in the Media the team did not need.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I still can’t get over the stupid mistake Magic Johnson made

Nonamehero wrote:

Wtf!!!!

I agree with you on those mistakes (especially Randle), but I'm not sure if LeBron would've come here if Magic wasn't in the FO at the time.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I still can’t get over the stupid mistake Magic Johnson made

Nonamehero wrote:

Wtf!!!!

Eh. Magic is long gone. Why worry about the past that can't be changed.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject:

^ I think it’s because Magic is offering his opinion about Shroeder. Given his record in the front office, nobody should listen to what he says about personnel.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Ah yes, the Magic slander recommences, especially when deflection of the current FO is necessary...that train is never late.

Reasons to hate on him. He quit without seeing his stars to LA vision through. Not pushing Jeanie harder to get more of his people in the FO. It’s clear Jeanie wanted Kobe, Phil and Rambii up there along with Magic. At the time Spears wrote a piece wondering why Magic chose Rob so quickly when there were plenty other candidates including some people of color. It wasn’t a Mack if due diligence...it was the optics of having Laker Lifers in Magic and Kobe (by proxy) up there running the Show.

Anyways, those are legit reasons to hate on man imho.

Then there’s the head scratching criticism. Leaks have it that he snitched on himself by referring to himself as an absentee POBO who didn’t put in the day to day work, but had time to admonish his head coach and construct cap space by negotiating Deng’s buyout, allowing Jules to walk for nothing and sending Zu to the cLips.

Question...if dude was out the office so much, how did he manage to set up those type of trades in the 1st place?

While he was in the office, he kept tampering too...to the tune of 50k for stating that Giannis round win a title for Philly one day. Meanwhile, execs of the year like Morey couldn’t stop complimenting Bron saying advanced stats place him much higher as the GOAT than MJ and even Magic’s guy Riles has stated that Miami would always welcome Bron back...yet the NBA ain’t collecting on those type of comments. Oh, then there’s the 500k fine Magic’s GM got caught with. And after paying that, George still ghosts us...wtf?!

Dude just had too many interests other than the Lakers, so he couldn’t put the necessary work into it that was necessary. I mean he quit because he had to get back to NBA Twitter without getting tampering warnings...so clearly not enough time in the day to dedicate to the Lakers.

Btw, if you got a problem with his tweets, something’s wrong with you haha.

You can criticize the man all you want, but just understand, basketball ops was him & that other guy who is now our VPOBO/GM. So if you got beef with the personnel choices of yesteryear while still hailing Rob as manna sent from heaven that can do no wrong...maybe, go hit up Staples and take in the sites out in the plaza and up in the rafters inside to get familiar. Let that Laker legend tweet in peace.

Like in 2018, we struck out on one of our top free agents in 2019. Like hoarding cap by letting TB and Jules walk for nothing and trading Zu, Svi and future 2nds for nothing, we hoarded potential cap space that never became realized by dumping Moe, Bonga and a future 2nd for nothing. Just like Luke wasn’t our previous FO’s 1st choice, Vogel wasn’t our 1st choice either. Just like we couldn’t complete the AD trade on our first go causing some team turmoil, we couldn’t make a deal during this deadline which revealed names that were involved causing a bit of team turmoil. Even bringing up BLo, who we lost to the Bucks for the meager BAE, even after having his bird rights and tons of cap space, we just lost Dwight this past offseason in similar fashion to Philly for the vet min.

They were a tandem then, but one of them is still here and similar errors are occurring. Give them credit for bringing us out of the MozDeng era...but when you fault them, don’t suddenly become selective.

FYI: he ain’t wrong about Schro either. Dude ain’t Laker material, but you are wrong Mag in the Lakers not signing him. They should to seek back lost cap-ital. See, you would know that if you were the cap guy when you were leading our bball ops. But it’s obvious, you weren’t that guy.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: I still can’t get over the stupid mistake Magic Johnson made

slavavov wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:

Wtf!!!!

I agree with you on those mistakes (especially Randle), but I'm not sure if LeBron would've come here if Magic wasn't in the FO at the time.

Lebron came here for business reasons, the $$$$ in LA and Hollywood.

Lebron is one of the smartest basketball player ever, I can’t see him coming here because of Magic.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Ah yes, the Magic slander recommences, especially when deflection of the current FO is necessary...that train is never late.

Reasons to hate on him. He quit without seeing his stars to LA vision through. Not pushing Jeanie harder to get more of his people in the FO. It’s clear Jeanie wanted Kobe, Phil and Rambii up there along with Magic. At the time Spears wrote a piece wondering why Magic chose Rob so quickly when there were plenty other candidates including some people of color. It wasn’t a Mack if due diligence...it was the optics of having Laker Lifers in Magic and Kobe (by proxy) up there running the Show.

Anyways, those are legit reasons to hate on man imho.

Then there’s the head scratching criticism. Leaks have it that he snitched on himself by referring to himself as an absentee POBO who didn’t put in the day to day work, but had time to admonish his head coach and construct cap space by negotiating Deng’s buyout, allowing Jules to walk for nothing and sending Zu to the cLips.

Question...if dude was out the office so much, how did he manage to set up those type of trades in the 1st place?

While he was in the office, he kept tampering too...to the tune of 50k for stating that Giannis round win a title for Philly one day. Meanwhile, execs of the year like Morey couldn’t stop complimenting Bron saying advanced stats place him much higher as the GOAT than MJ and even Magic’s guy Riles has stated that Miami would always welcome Bron back...yet the NBA ain’t collecting on those type of comments. Oh, then there’s the 500k fine Magic’s GM got caught with. And after paying that, George still ghosts us...wtf?!

Dude just had too many interests other than the Lakers, so he couldn’t put the necessary work into it that was necessary. I mean he quit because he had to get back to NBA Twitter without getting tampering warnings...so clearly not enough time in the day to dedicate to the Lakers.

Btw, if you got a problem with his tweets, something’s wrong with you haha.

You can criticize the man all you want, but just understand, basketball ops was him & that other guy who is now our VPOBO/GM. So if you got beef with the personnel choices of yesteryear while still hailing Rob as manna sent from heaven that can do no wrong...maybe, go hit up Staples and take in the sites out in the plaza and up in the rafters inside to get familiar. Let that Laker legend tweet in peace.

Like in 2018, we struck out on one of our top free agents in 2019. Like hoarding cap by letting TB and Jules walk for nothing and trading Zu, Svi and future 2nds for nothing, we hoarded potential cap space that never became realized by dumping Moe, Bonga and a future 2nd for nothing. Just like Luke wasn’t our previous FO’s 1st choice, Vogel wasn’t our 1st choice either. Just like we couldn’t complete the AD trade on our first go causing some team turmoil, we couldn’t make a deal during this deadline which revealed names that were involved causing a bit of team turmoil. Even bringing up BLo, who we lost to the Bucks for the meager BAE, even after having his bird rights and tons of cap space, we just lost Dwight this past offseason in similar fashion to Philly for the vet min.

They were a tandem then, but one of them is still here and similar errors are occurring. Give them credit for bringing us out of the MozDeng era...but when you fault them, don’t suddenly become selective.

FYI: he ain’t wrong about Schro either. Dude ain’t Laker material, but you are wrong Mag in the Lakers not signing him. They should to seek back lost cap-ital. See, you would know that if you were the cap guy when you were leading our bball ops. But it’s obvious, you weren’t that guy.

Sorry didn’t quite get everything you said.

Are you say it is not all Magic fault, but Pelinka fault?

I really think Pelinka proved himself last year constructing a championship team even after Kwahi screwed us.

And I liked his off season moves.
It didn’t work out, but I really think we had no chance in the beginning with such short turnaround.

And Pelinka tried to give us a chance by bringing in fresh blood.

But it was not enough.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject:

We had weeks of threads dumping on Magic.. I suppose one more wont hurt right? Since we haven't had one in a while.

He's not the reason why things turned out the way they did this season.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: I still can’t get over the stupid mistake Magic Johnson made

activeverb wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:

Wtf!!!!

Eh. Magic is long gone. Why worry about the past that can't be changed.
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject:

They should ban Magic from having any sort of influence on personnel.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject:

I've forgiven Magic. His Lakers player days >>> GM day. Don't get me wrong, when he burned the house down on his way out is hard to forget but overall he's still Magic 5x Lakers Champ
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: I still can’t get over the stupid mistake Magic Johnson made

Nonamehero wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:

Wtf!!!!

Lebron is one of the smartest basketball player ever, I can’t see him coming here because of Magic.

I don't think he came because of Magic, but I do have a hard time believing he would've come if Jim Buss were still in charge. As you say, he's too smart to do that.
#savethekids
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject:

He drafted Lonzo in part , because Lonzo threw a basketball from his front yard into a moving car.
😂😂😂😂😂...That one always makes me laugh.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: I still can’t get over the stupid mistake Magic Johnson made

Bol wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:

Wtf!!!!

I don't think he came because of Magic, but I do have a hard time believing he would've come if Jim Buss were still in charge. As you say, he's too smart to do that.

Agreed. Magic was terrible and those moves he made are bad, but he was a big factor in bringing Bron here even if was just because his name wasn't Jim Buss and it was an indication that Lakers ownership was cleaned up.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject:

He also hit a home run in trading Lou.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject:

@RI: I’m just tired of the Magic did everything wrong and Rob did everything right narrative. Since the Sterling/Magic thing happened, there has been a lot of racially driven narratives when it comes to Magic.

African Americans were upset Magic didn’t interview and choose more colored options when he first became POBO. I mean there is a point there seeing the disparity in player representation vs executive representation.

Then when Ballmer came in, he brought in SI’s Jenkins to paint another narrative. A black exec admonishing a white coach...followed by a black exec not putting in the necessary work and being described as “absentee”. It doesn’t help that Magic’s Lakers took potential titles from Bird’s Celtics, especially if you’re a young adolescent boy coming out of Connecticut like Woj was. That whole episode of constant Laker hate in the media was bizarre, but it seemed to go away when Magic quit and maybe it was Kawhi/cLipper/Jenkins related, but the racial undertones were noticeable at least to me.

But aside from all of that, fact is both had missteps and both had triumphs. Magic had a 50K tamper fine, Rob had a 500K tamper fine. They both let Jules and other free agents walk for cap space...that continued even after Magic left. They both allowed key free agents to leave when the cost of keeping them proved it wasn’t going to be to high. They both lost key free agents and they both had troubles with head coaches.

The fact is Magic is gone and judging on what Rob has done (or not done), we didn’t close on our top 2019 free agent, we didn’t close on our top coaching pick, we didn’t close the leaks that have exact players extension details and player names in trade packages, we didn’t keep key free agents on the cheap and we aren’t protecting our key players properly.

This is how Magic wanted to protect Bron during the regular season:
https://lebronwire.usatoday.com/2018/09/20/magic-johnson-on-lebrons-role-we-dont-want-his-usage-to-be-high/

This is how Rob wanted to “protect” Bron during the regular season:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.com/news/report-lebron-james-point-guard-los-angeles-lakers%3Famp%3D1

Each of them had faults...one guy is still here.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

Lopez made perfect sense to continue playing here. But Magic was obsessed with trying something different around LeBron (not surround him with shooters but playmakers lol, and then not add stretch bigs but lob threat bigs), so he went for McGee. Then at the start of the season we lacked a center and had to get Chandler. Decision making 1/10 (not in hindsight, people were saying that back then as well)

Randle was a restricted free agent, coming off a great season for us (arguably our best player). And we let him walk for nothing. He was obsessed with chasing the 2 max players (which if he achieved would be great, we still would have the pieces for AD after that) so he neglected the pieces we already have. He gave Rondo 9M, same money Randle signed with NO for. Maybe it was possible to get some value out of him in a sign and trade? Who knows, but he shouldn't be let go like that.

Gifting Zubac to the Clippers, and Svi to the Pistons was also terrible. Like there was zero reason to do that. We got terrible players in return.

Other notable things, letting T. Bryant walk. Drafting Wagner because Kuzma and Hart wanted lol, letting him go for nothing then. Bonga was let go as well.

He made questionable call after questionable call, but we turned a blind eye because it's Magic. Brilliant player and legend but please, stay away from the Lakers in any capacity. Even if he wants to be the janitor don't let him in

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

Say what you want about Magic, but he brought LeBron in. I was mad at him for resigning in public and kinda throwing the Lakers under the bus, but I've forgiven him. At the end of the day, he's a Laker legend.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Say what you want about Magic, but he brought LeBron in. I was mad at him for resigning in public and kinda throwing the Lakers under the bus, but I've forgiven him. At the end of the day, he's a Laker legend.

LeBron came on his own. He'd have done it with or without Magic. He knew he'd play here for a while before joining. That statement by Magic about waiting infront of his house hours before FA officially starts is just his attention seeking self, and Lebron letting him have his little moment

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject:

The question should be more... which superstar wouldn't come if you allowed them and their sports agency to completely take over your front office like the Borg.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

For those of who complaining about Klutch, you can bet your house Jeanie Buss will hire ex-Laker to run the franchise again if Klutch is out of the picture. Do you rather have that?

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: