"We Gave Away A Decade Worth of Talent for AD"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject:

LakersARETheGOAT wrote:
I just seen the lakers gave up 8 players for one ring on Twitter and it’s just funny because if lakers would’ve kept that group even with lebron and didn’t win anything, the takes would’ve been lakers should’ve traded for AD. lakers were on the verge back to the number 1 seed before injuries happened. Let’s see iwhat lakers and those other traded players do with their teams the next 4-5 years to decide if it was worth it.

Clips could have easily traded the farm like they did with PG and paired him up with Kawhi. I like some of the young guys that we have traded for AD but none of them are on his level. I’ll take AD easily and that one ring and few more chances if our FO execute it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
LakersARETheGOAT wrote:
I just seen the lakers gave up 8 players for one ring on Twitter and it’s just funny because if lakers would’ve kept that group even with lebron and didn’t win anything, the takes would’ve been lakers should’ve traded for AD. lakers were on the verge back to the number 1 seed before injuries happened. Let’s see iwhat lakers and those other traded players do with their teams the next 4-5 years to decide if it was worth it.

Clips could have easily traded the farm like they did with PG and paired him up with Kawhi. I like some of the young guys that we have traded for AD but none of them are on his level. I’ll take AD easily and that one ring and few more chances if our FO execute it.

They did trade the farm. SGA/Gallo and a million picks. I’d argue more impactful than the Lakers package due to the picks that stretch so far out.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

I'm glad we have AD, we just need to surround him with a competitive team. And keep him rested and healthy for the playoffs

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

It's a results-oriented league and world on the most part. Bad decisions on paper can work out. Good decisions on paper can end up awful.

Acquiring LBJ and AD = good decision, good result, no? Most teams dream of being in this type of situation. Even if one guy is getting older and the other needs his windshield replaced all the time. They won a title.

Feels like NBA is headed towards NHL and MLB. Winning titles consistently over a 10-yr stretch looks unlikely. Unless younger players decide to band together while forgoing lots of money.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
It's a results-oriented league and world on the most part. Bad decisions on paper can work out. Good decisions on paper can end up awful.

Acquiring LBJ and AD = good decision, good result, no? Most teams dream of being in this type of situation. Even if one guy is getting older and the other needs his windshield replaced all the time. They won a title.

Feels like NBA is headed towards NHL and MLB. Winning titles consistently over a 10-yr stretch looks unlikely. Unless younger players decide to band together while forgoing lots of money.

I feel like barring injury... putting Luka with any top player equals winning titles consistently. Also Brooklyn barring injury or mental health.

The days of winning multiple titles is as likely as it's ever been... although maybe not quite at Celtics or Showtime level. Three in ten years... sure.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

Good luck trading for Luka.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:

The only way we'd get Luka is if Cuban was married to some whack job like Georgia Frontiere (no pun intended) and he died, left her the franchise and she started making random moves.

I meant that people have been telling me the days of franchises winning multiple titles are over and I don't believe that to be true.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
I meant that people have been telling me the days of franchises winning multiple titles are over and I don't believe that to be true.

You talking about a team averaging multiple titles per decade. That’s different.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:

With the fluidity of free agency and player empowerment, it might be easier to assemble talent quickly now, but harder to retain that talent for an extended period.

In recent years, we've seen superstars win a ring and then leave the team for another within one or two years after the championship (Lebron, Durant, Kawhi).

Superstar movement seems at an all-time high. Only 2 of the 7 MVP winners over the past 12 years are still with the team they won the MVP with. (I chose the 12 year time frame because all the MVP winners before this are no longer in the league.)

In the last 10 years, we saw 7 different teams win a ring. The last time that happened was the 1970s, the decade of parity. But even within the past 10 years of relative parity, we saw a dynasty in the Warriors. (You could also argue we saw a dynasty in Lebron that was separate from any specific team.)

Last edited by activeverb on Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
LakersARETheGOAT wrote:

They did trade the farm. SGA/Gallo and a million picks. I’d argue more impactful than the Lakers package due to the picks that stretch so far out.

That’s the reason if you gonna argue a hypothetical scenario with infinite possibilities, then it’s easily to make an argument about Clips going all in with AD much more than PG and boy they paid a hefty price to pull that trigger. Just imagine that Clips with AD instead of Pandemic P . We will be seeing Clips banner on our own rafters and quite possibly more instead of ours. The young players we have, I am only high on Lonzo and Ingrams. Others are just role type of players. But gotta give props to Jules for taking that leap. And DLo getting into all star and getting paid. None of that thoug equate to what AD brought on the table and will continue to bring if he’s healthy enough.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Ugh, some fans should just follow the young core to their new teams. We've been talking about this crap since D'Angelo got traded a long time ago.

Yes, I feel very comfortable with the trade. As good as the young core have improved, these guys aren't players you build a championship team around. BI and Zo still haven't been to the playoffs. D'Angelo made it on a low seed that was more team-oriented. Randle has the biggest green light in the league, and the Knicks aren't close to a championship-level team.

If one of these players were as good as Luka, Giannis, and maybe Tatum, maybe we can have that conversation.

But, I'm not losing any sleep over losing out on the Lakers' young core.

I can't see a team built around the young core being a serious championship contender.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

How does a team win .5 of a championship? 🤔
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

According to some people around here, a half a championship is one you win in a strike-shortened year or in a Bubble.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

According to some people around here, a half a championship is one you win in a strike-shortened year or in a Bubble.

It’s nothing new that Laker haters will try everything they can to discredit the teams accomplishments. It’s been going on for years. I get it though. When you’re massively successful it comes with the territory. However…

I’ve seen a lot more people who call themselves Lakers fans and post on Lakers websites doing the same things lately that the haters have been doing for years. It’s a new and frankly perplexing development.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

It’s nothing new that Laker haters will try everything they can to discredit the teams accomplishments. It’s been going on for years. I get it though. When you’re massively successful it comes with the territory. However…

I’ve seen a lot more people who call themselves Lakers fans and post on Lakers websites doing the same things lately that the haters have been doing for years. It’s a new and frankly perplexing development.

You can disagree with someone without questioning whether they are a fan of the team or not. This isn't religion... where if you don't believe exactly what you are taught then you are a heretic.

I believe we spent too much... you don't think we did. Difference is I make my points without insulting the posters most of the time.

I was born in Los Angeles and my first home was in an apartment at Venice and Crenshaw. My parents had season tickets at the Forum and I've been watching since I was a kid sitting up in the Colonnade section right behind Chick.

But it says a lot that you spend most of your time insulting people instead of making new points.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject:

I think the players we traded so far ( so far b/c we do not know what the 2022 pick, 2023 swap, either 2024 or 2025 pick are going to look like ) are players teams have/will overpay for and never win a championship with as a primary option.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised this thread is still alive.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

I'm willing to let it die. I'm not the one who started this zombie topic again.

But if people are going to crow about how good we have it when we are begging Schroder to return then I'll keep replying with counter arguments.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

I'm willing to let it die. I'm not the one who started this zombie topic again.

But if people are going to crow about how good we have it when we are begging Schroder to return then I'll keep replying with counter arguments.

I think you can definitely argue that they didn't get the best deal possible for AD when they had all the leverage, the Dlo deal was highly questionable (and then letting Brook go), letting Randle go for nothing was dumb, etc. I can see the rationale, and respect the homerun mentality of trying to get three stars, but in the process they completely decimated the potential for a strong supporting cast around Lebron and AD. Building around the fringes of the roster, in terms of putting together a diverse group of role players with different skillsets that fit how the game is played today + retaining some semblance of assets and flexibility going forward, has certainly not been Rob's strength. Part of that is putting all their eggs in the 2019 failed pursuit of Kawhi/third star basket.

But when you win a title, a lot of that becomes white noise. Lebron and AD were so good last year, and the mercenaries that Rob did end up getting not only were perfect in their roles, but had great attitudes about it. The situation doesn't look as pretty right now, but we were dealt about as bad of a hand as we could've this past season, yet still are coming out of it with no major injuries clouding up the future. There isn't much roster flexibility, but the immediate talent pool we have to work with isn't exactly subpar, either. We still have enough to win a championship, which is really all you can ask for.

Ultimately, we already won one ring, and are in a good position to have at least a couple more shots at another. You can argue how we got there, but it's a great end result, all things considered.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "We Gave Away A Decade Worth of Talent for AD"

Outspoken wrote:
(Edit) y'all are not answering the question, so let me put it 1st....

My questions are: are you comfortable with Lakers being under Klutch? How much faith do you have in Rob? Because he is allegedly controlled by Klutch and also, he said he consulted with Kobe a lot about moves and Kobe confirmed it in an interview. I don't know if Kobe would have agreed with dismantling a championship squad. Rob's the only GM in history that have done that after a teams 1st championship run.

I was having a conversation with Laker fans after the loss to the suns and that was said; "We Gave Away A Decade Worth of Talent For AD, who can't stay healthy" then they went into LeBron, and what we gave away for him.

All the talent (potential talent) we squandered - DLO, Zo, BI, Randle, Clarkson, Zubac, Hart + picks...

I know some of you don't agree with that because you are fine with winning 1 ring and felt it was worth it. But on the contrary, AD can't stay on the court; he is made out of glass; injury prone and he is our corner piece. He is not gonna get better from here on out. Injuries linger, he may be going down from here. LeBron, it seems like father time is catching up to him and he also quit on the team. These are the 2 we gotta deal with, AD for 5 years and Bron til 2023.

People don't even respect the ring we Got. Coincidentally, we didn't even get a parade for it. Dang!

Then rather than keeping the team that some of you are satisfied with in bringing us a ring, it was decimated and reconstructed to longer term contracts and now it's said we can't really do anything. We are content with trying everything we can to sign .... Dennis Schroder? Really?

Some of you are making excuses for this year's team, talking about the injuries, while ignoring that this team just wasn't that good and had a lot of holes that were masked. Then got exposed when the injury to AD and Bron happened. The chemistry was terrible, their toughness wasn't there, rim protecting wasn't there, and we lacked bball IQ. Vogel's head coaching was also exposed. He went from not playing Gasol, to starting Gasol. Starting Drummond to not playing Drummond. Not playing Harell, to playing Harrell 1 game. Not playing THT,to playing THT. He was just throwing things out there, with no real plan. He was just hoping he struct gold.

I love the argument people dont respect the ring we got....OF COURSE THEY DONT WE'RE THE LAKERS FFS ...You know how i know that argument is complete (bleep)?

Put any other team in our position last year and they win the title instead of us....Do you think we'd hear that argument from the same people if their team had won it instead of us? We won a Championship it was worth it. I was cheering for 3 hours straight at work i didn't once even feel that it was fake. People are full of (bleep) of course they'll find any excuse to discredit it.

We would not have won jack (bleep) with our core the only guy i really miss is BI.

Yeah we got exposed when AD and LBJ got injured. Who would have thought the two superstars playing hobbled would expose this team. We won two games with AD and a Lebron with a bad ankle. We would have won this series had AD just stayed healthy.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject:

The hardest thing to acquire in this sport is a hall of famer. Of that “decade worth of talent” there wasn’t a hall of famer in the bunch. What do you need to win a championship? That’s right, a hall of famer. Or in this era, a superteam, thx Lebron
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

You can disagree with someone without questioning whether they are a fan of the team or not. This isn't religion... where if you don't believe exactly what you are taught then you are a heretic.

I believe we spent too much... you don't think we did. Difference is I make my points without insulting the posters most of the time.

I was born in Los Angeles and my first home was in an apartment at Venice and Crenshaw. My parents had season tickets at the Forum and I've been watching since I was a kid sitting up in the Colonnade section right behind Chick.

But it says a lot that you spend most of your time insulting people instead of making new points.

1. I wasn’t even talking to or about you. I was taking about people who question our last championship. Thought that was obvious in the conversation I was having with someone else.

2. I never gave my opinion on whether we spent too much or not.

3. I don’t give a (bleep) where you grew up.

4. How in the hell did I insult anyone?

5. It’s so obvious who you really are I have no idea why you didn’t just use your old screen name.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

The only way we'd get Luka is if Cuban was married to some whack job like Georgia Frontiere (no pun intended) and he died, left her the franchise and she started making random moves.

cuban said he would divorce his wife before moving Luka
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:

Luka will be a Mav for life, Cuban wanted him all along and
there is no way he parts ways with him... next !
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

It’s not even a decade worth of talent to be honest. Based on how injury prone some of the YUTES are, can you confidently say they are at a high level for a decade?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 10 of 42
Jump to: