Biggest Mistake of 2020-2021 Season is...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
In other words the Lakers signed great talent who don’t know how to win.

DS is a loser.

Trez was a Clipper aka loser.

Drummond has played for lottery teams so he’s a loser.

Poor Drummond still hasn't won a playoffs series. At least he wasn't swept this time.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
troy wrote:
Not focusing on defense.

Best defensive team in the league.

Vogel being unable to coach an offense + our injuries were the only "mistakes" this year.

Oh and having Drummond take Gasol's starting spot and then never giving Gasol minutes after that.

All lays at the feet of Vogel. The people that complain about our roster really don't take the time to imagine that without Schroeder and Harrell our offense would have suffered even more, and they want to imagine a world where Rondo Green and Dwight get more offensive responsibility and our situation doesn't get 10 times worse.

But you can’t ignore the other side of the floor tbh.

Harrell gave up the same amount on the defensive end, if not more.

The dude is a walking minus because he doesn’t know how to defend...even if he scores 20, he gives it all up and then some.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Biggest "mistakes" were AD and Lebron getting injured.

In 2020, with AD and Lebron, they were 45-14.

In 2021, after fast turn around, with AD and Lebron, Lakers were 19-8.

In the playoffs, after slow start from AD, they were 2-1 and rolling, before AD was injured again.

Last edited by WC13 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

DS is a loser.

Take that and rewind it back.

Pretty much THIS.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
troy wrote:
Not focusing on defense.

Vogel being unable to coach an offense + our injuries were the only "mistakes" this year.

Oh and having Drummond take Gasol's starting spot and then never giving Gasol minutes after that.

All lays at the feet of Vogel. The people that complain about our roster really don't take the time to imagine that without Schroeder and Harrell our offense would have suffered even more, and they want to imagine a world where Rondo Green and Dwight get more offensive responsibility and our situation doesn't get 10 times worse.

You don't get much better than NUMBER 1 DEFENSIVE TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

And it was a WIDE margin that was growing before AD went down, once he went down, it got closer but we still kept it.

I don't know how often it needs to be reiterated that defense was not the team's problem, it was the non-implementation of any offensive gameplan outside of (let LeBron and AD do it) and that.. is on.. Vogel.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

DS is a loser.

lol.. ding, ding, ding

(although I suppose that COULD be changed by contract stability, player commitment and good coaching but it's unlikely - I wouldn't hold my breath on that ever being the case for Trez or Drum for example)

Big change from last year no? Where we had guys who weren't anywhere as talented but proven winners

Danny Green
Javale Mcgee
Rajon Rondo

Even Dwight although hasn't won a championship, had deep playoff run and one finals appearance
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Lakers getting only 71 days off in-between seasons. We really never had a chance. Neither did Miami.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
troy wrote:
Not focusing on defense.

And it was a WIDE margin that was growing before AD went down, once he went down, it got closer but we still kept it.

I don't know how often it needs to be reiterated that defense was not the team's problem, it was the non-implementation of any offensive gameplan outside of (let LeBron and AD do it) and that.. is on.. Vogel.

All I can say is watch the games. Harrell was a 1 man momentum killer.

He is, along with bad shooting, the reason the Lakers could not separate in games. Teams made their comebacks or blew the Lakers out when Harrell entered the game. Harrell broke the Lakers defensive scheme time and time again.

Vogel is not dumb. It’s why Harrell was a DNP - CD for most of the Suns series. The experiment was done in the regular season and failed miserably.

Don’t care what the numbers said, the opponents had their way with us with Harrell on the floor. It was pretty clear tbh.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
troy wrote:
Not focusing on defense.

I did watch the games, and no he wasn't. A lot of the time he was also the energy guy that helped out the team when things went stagnant because of his ability to both get his own shot and his relentless hustle.

The Lakers fans with attention spans longer than a 2-5 game period also saw that too. Guy just doesn't go from "invaluable" to "scrub" because the coach has no idea how to use him and jerks around his minutes once Drummond arrives.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

DS is a loser.

lol.. ding, ding, ding

(although I suppose that COULD be changed by contract stability, player commitment and good coaching but it's unlikely - I wouldn't hold my breath on that ever being the case for Trez or Drum for example)

Big change from last year no? Where we had guys who weren't anywhere as talented but proven winners

Danny Green
Javale Mcgee
Rajon Rondo

Even Dwight although hasn't won a championship, had deep playoff run and one finals appearance

yet he did even get a guaranteed contract from us until december. no one wanted him.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
troy wrote:
Not focusing on defense.

I did watch the games, and no he wasn't. A lot of the time he was also the energy guy that helped out the team when things went stagnant because of his ability to both get his own shot and his relentless hustle.

The Lakers fans with attention spans longer than a 2-5 game period also saw that too. Guy just doesn't go from "invaluable" to "scrub" because the coach has no idea how to use him and jerks around his minutes once Drummond arrives.

Ok you have your own opinion and I have mine. To each his own.

I didn’t say you didn’t watch the games. I saw 70 of 72, so believe me I have the attention span...so much so that I see the breakdowns. I’ve been watching long enough lol.

You are also a fan of Schroder so you look for certain things while I see those same things in a different way.

And that’s fine.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
King Randle wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Gasol and Wes were minimum salary guys who outperformed the guys we overpaid and overplayed. How were they mistakes?? Who should we have signed for the minimum over them?

And If you didn’t see how they were some of our best guys, i don’t know what to tell you.

Yeah we'll agree to disagree.....Harkless signed for the min with Miami so we could have had him, a defensive wing that would have more than likely done a better job during the season and the play-offs especially guarding Booker.....and Dwight was superior to Gasol for what we needed and he was had for the min...An exceptional rim protector and rebounder that moves his feet much better than Gasol.....So again agree to disagree....all good.

I've said this many times, Gasol was signed AFTER Howard said no. He wasn't signed in lieu of Howard, he was signed to makeup for Howard. In that sense I completely fail to understand how Gasol was a mistake. Not signing Howard was a mistake, sure, but Gasol was a reasonable attempt to makeup for that mistake.

Dwight backed out of a deal with the Lakers, so that was on him.

I wanted Harkless as well, although Miami did end up dumping him. I doubt he would have helped our dreadful shooting much.

Again PJ.....Dwight was never offered a contract that’s why he left. They should’ve signed him to the minimum like Dwight thought he was being offered. They never offered the contract. They went to Trez and that pissed off Dwight so he left. I would’ve preferred Dwight over Trez for what the team needed. Idk I think Harkless would’ve moved the needle some. We’ll never know.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject:

THe biggest mistake was probably not delaying it until MLK day so our guys could get some rest.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
troy wrote:
Not focusing on OFFENSE.

Changed.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

Playing.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject:

Biggest mistake was lineups and adjustments.

Schroder, Harrell, Drummond could've fit with this team if they were given different roles.

Starters should've been KCP and WM with Schroder as the off the bench explosive scorer, Harrell as a backup PF and not C, Drummond in just spurts like the McGee role.
monster_montego
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

I was excited about Schroeder, but I knew Trezz was going to be a major problem.

Should have kept Dwight and Javale (awesome locker room guy and team player)

Schroeder gamble was worth it.

Trezz and Schroeder's me first attitude definitely threw a wrench in team cohesion.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka, you're fired!

DS is a scrub who wants max money and only cares about his contract. This year, offer him $10M/year coming off the bench. Take it or leave it. Let other teams outbid us.

Harrell is a midget who's also playing for a contract. His offensive contribution does not make up for defensive deficiency.

Drummond has butterfingers and a basketball IQ lower than the number of butterfingers he has.

I miss vets like Rondo and Howard who get the job done while getting paid peanuts as opposed to these primadonna who don't get the job done while asking to get paid 10x as much.

I'm sooo mad. Our biggest mistake would be if we didn't fire Pelinka.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I remember all the people who were mad about Pelinka getting us Danny Green after a botched and publicly embarrassing Kawhi pursuit. People said Rob was way over his head...and yet we win a championship.

2021, my recollection is most of the pundits lauded the Lakers moves to inject new blood to a team that by the end of the playoffs, was running a bit ragged (i.e. Danny dragging his leg after a meh playoffs).

I get it. It's a results oriented league. But I don't think Rob is at fault here. We had the pieces. It didn't work out. Injuries, fatigue, etc. hit all the conference finalists (everyone is out except the Nuggs, who are about to be swept). We move on. THIS summer is where we see if Rob is as good as some people say he is, especially if Dennis/Trez (and the 25-26m of cap space potential they represent) walk for nothing.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Then you would need to fire LeGM/Klutch too. They are the ones that give Pelinka the sign off.

Harrell (Klutch)
Schroder (LBJ had reportedly been trying to get him on squad for 3 seasons).
Drummond (AD’s good friend).
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Monday morning QB's are never wrong. Unfortunately, Rob doesn't have the luxury of our resident GM's. I thought he constructed a good team overall (on paper). More talent, more O, younger, with less physicality and shot blocking presence. It did not work out and most of it was beyond anyones control. Time to move on.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Monday morning QB's are never wrong. Unfortunately, Rob doesn't have the luxury of our resident GM's. I thought he constructed a good team overall (on paper). More talent, more O, younger, with less physicality and shot blocking presence. It did not work out and most of it was beyond anyones control. Time to move on.

I thought he could do as well as expected. He did well imo.

1) Tried to get younger/more sustainable
2) No one knew Schroder would sabotage himself and sink his value in a contract year.
3) No one knew Harrell was incapable of picking up defense from defensive specialist coaches.
4) Injuries. Not a coincidence 3 of the 4 conf finalists were out in round 1. Nuggets faced a flawed Portland team (worst team in top 8) and now getting their ass kicked by the Suns.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

Back in January, I made a poll on whether this year's team or last year's team was better. This year's team won 34-17.

https://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=190687&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult

Similarly, I asked in November if people preferred Harrell or Dwight. Harrell won 81-27.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm 100% convinced that we run it back, and we suffer the same injuries to LBJ/AD (with him out in the playoffs), we may actually not make the playoffs with AD/LBJ out, and we would certainly be bounced in the playoffs.

But I can understand how some would just "feel" better being trounced with our original guys. And maybe that's worth something.

Then you'd have the same question I'm posing about Dennis: do you extend Green or let him walk for nothing? What if he wants $15m/year which isn't too much of an ask for a 3/D player?

I would take the same posture. We would have to keep that asset to retain as a player or trade to get something for him.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I thought he could do as well as expected. He did well imo.

1) Tried to get younger/more sustainable
2) No one knew Schroder would sabotage himself and sink his value in a contract year.
3) No one knew Harrell was incapable of picking up defense from defensive specialist coaches.
4) Injuries. Not a coincidence 3 of the 4 conf finalists were out in round 1. Nuggets faced a flawed Portland team (worst team in top 8) and now getting their ass kicked by the Suns.

I never like the changes especially coming from a championship team but I was still optimistic.

I though Trez could get better defensively but he never did and playing him at 5 without AD was really overcompensating. I believed we could have utilized him better at 4 but the Drummond pick up kinda shook his spirit .

I thought Schroder can really shoot even others were putting his last year percentage was an outlier. After watching enough of him, he’s just not good enough shooter to pull any gravity. But defensively , he was so much better at least in the regular season.

AD injury is actually more revealing about their capabilities. Good role players who can thrive in system that best fit their skill set.

At the end of the day, they don’t fit. Schroder me me me will have to start and milking every leverage he has to make that happen kinda put a wrench to to balance our supposedly deep lineup. Him and Trez would been really something off the bench.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: