Lakers 2021 Playoffs Stats
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Lakers 2021 Playoffs Stats

LBJ: 23ppg/7.2rpg/8apg/1.5spg/37.5% from 3.
AD: 17.4/6.6/2.6/.6/18%
Dennis: 14.3/2.8/2.8/1/.2/31%
AD2: 9/11/.8/.6/0%
THT: 6.5/3.5/.5/.3/0/20%
Kuz: 6.3/3.8/1.2/.3/.2/17.4%
KCP: 6.2/2.8/1/1/0/21%
AC: 5.8/1.3/.5/.2/.7/29.4%
Trez: 5.8/2.5/0/.5/0%
Wes: 5.5/1.7/.3/.3/28%
Marc: 5.2/3.8/3/.8/.8/63.6%
Kieff: 2.3/1/.8/0/0.3/25%
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

Some noteworthy things:

1. our shooters did not shoot.
-AC shot 40% ish regular season-dropped to 29%
-Wes shot 28%
-KCP shot 21%
-Kuz shot 17%.

Crazy stat but Marc led the team with 63% from 3. Next is LBJ, and then Dennis. Overall, we shot 30% from 3 as a team. No way you win in 2021 with that.

2. We only had 3 players scoring in double digits (LBJ/AD/Dennis). Take away AD from his injured games and we basically had 2 players scoring double digits. I know Dennis gets a lot of blame, but look at how far KCP/Kuz/AC/Trez failed to help pitch in scoring-wise.

3. We should have played Marc more. He led the team with 63% from 3, and led the team with a 3.8 assist/turnover ratio. We also should have played THT more. KCP was hobbling out there, missing 3s like crazy. Rather have had a healthier player who could contribute basically the same amount of scoring KCP/Kuz did in half the minutes.

4. Our star role players from last year's run did not show up. KCP was hobbled out there, but no question he was a net negative out there (PER of 5, I know PER is a flawed stat but just something to consider). AC pretty much the same (PER of 2.54). Kuz really did not contribute much either, with a PER of 2.89.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject:

And our shooters put up those numbers while not spacing the floor. The spacing provided by a respected perimeter threat (even if not having a good series), is reflected in the box score of his teammates. If you're left open, however, you better contribute.

Team's gave Rondo wiiiiiiiiiide open looks... and he hit them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
And our shooters put up those numbers while not spacing the floor. The spacing provided by a respected perimeter threat (even if not having a good series), is reflected in the box score of his teammates. If you're left open, however, you better contribute.

Team's gave Rondo wiiiiiiiiiide open looks... and he hit them.

Wes chucked and chucked them to no avail. Meanwhile, KCP/AC/Kuz passed up open 3s and clanked them too. With Dennis, it's more likely he's shooting 30% from 3 (which he did and was inexplicably the 3rd best 3 point shooter on the playoffs squad for players who played more than 10mpg).

Very disappointed our shooters were shook and missed everything. Wes/KCP on paper are the 3/D shooters. Kuz/AC should be at least 35% with their limited roles on offense (i.e. spot ups, not having to run plays).
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject:

Only one of these players is demanding to start and asking for 100 million.

If KCP or Kuzma was doing either of these things publicly you can bet I'd be complaining about both of them too.

And Trez seems like a goner so and we only have him for one year if he opts in.

If Schroder had a reasonable one year player option, I wouldn't mind if he opted in.

I'm only upset because he's asking for 100 million and rejected 84 million.

Do you see me complaining about AD or LBJ recently?

Why is it that I'm not complaining about anyone else?

If Drummond asked for 100 million I'd laugh in his face.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

If KCP or Kuzma was doing either of these things publicly you can bet I'd be complaining about both of them too.

If Schroder had a reasonable one year player option, I wouldn't mind if he opted in.

Why is everything revolving around Dennis? 🤷

The stat shows the TEAM as a whole just failed.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

This is a very good analysis of what happened during the playoffs. We tend to forget that the way you win in basketball is to score points. You score points by making baskets. I think people assume that NBA players are so proficient at the basic skill of making baskets that it never has to be addressed.

When it comes to the Lakers, it does.

Seems like every team in the playoffs had players that can hit 3 pointers as per their usual skill set. For us, seeing a Laker hit a 3 seemed so rare that when he did, we got highly excited. Wow! We actually hit a 3 pointer...while other teams had players that hit them in stride game in and game out. I just don't understand why our players could not hit their shots.

I understand that injuries derailed our repeat aspirations. But, as I've said before, I fail to understand how AD being out resulted in so many Lakers not being able to fulfill the prerequisite ability to make a basket from distance. Boggles the mind.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Why is everything revolving around Dennis? 🤷

The stat shows the TEAM as a whole just failed.

The team as a whole failed... but only one person demanded publicly to start... turned down an over generous offer of 84 million... failed CoVid protocol at a crucial time... then on the day of the most important game of the season was playing games with his Instagram taking down his bio as "Lakers point guard" fueling intense media speculation... while rumors leaked from Ramona and Ireland that he was asking for 100 million.

If Kuz or KCP had been doing that BS... you can bet I'd be complaining about them too.

Trez did a little bit of that... but he's getting paid a reasonable wage and he wasn't playing at all sometimes.

I don't get why you don't see that only one Laker was doing this selfish crap this year. I started the year excited for him to join us.

You think he's been okay... I'm not as happy with him as you are... we both have a right to our respective opinions.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

Our team was god awful this playoff run. We can discuss Dennis’s contract situation but almost everyone played at a F level. Contract situations are oy one aspect. It would be a fair expectation for returning champion core guys to play better, no?
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Our team was god awful this playoff run. We can discuss Dennis’s contract situation but almost everyone played at a F level. Contract situations are oy one aspect. It would be a fair expectation for returning champion core guys to play better, no?

If you didn't make your comment 2. Wouldn't have said anything about Dennis.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It’s a fact based statement though. The others were far worse IMO. Contract worries do not matter in a playoff game. Either you help or don’t. Looks like more guys on the team failed to help in the playoffs once you look past the emotion and see the numbers.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

There was a 25 game stretch following the first Bucks game in which we shot 29% from three. I believe we were dead last in the league and 2nd to last in turnovers committed.
Even though it as an outlier by definition and injuries were involved, that level of offense resurfaced at the worst possible moment.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It’s a fact based statement though. The others were far worse IMO. Contract worries do not matter in a playoff game. Either you help or don’t. Looks like more guys on the team failed to help in the playoffs once you look past the emotion and see the numbers.

I feel like what's done is done... kind of pointless to do an autopsy of what just happened which was that AD and LBJ were injured and it highlighted some shortcomings of the team.

For me the most crucial issue is what we do with Dennis.

You yourself have called him the third most important player... we can't do anything with AD or LBJ, so that makes him the focal point of the offseason.

Some of you like yourself and MJST think he is the lesser of evils and we will be okay signing him. Some think we should look in another direction. I get that this is very difficult and unlikely, but I prefer to exhaust all other avenues before we accept overpaying him on a contract that might not be moveable. I've said many times... if we can sign him at a moveable price, I get the logic of that move... but only if we can actually move him.

I also understand that it's not the end of the world if we end up signing him and we can still compete with him, but as the third best player... I just think it will be impossible to win a title next season unless LBJ actually gets back to MVP form at 37 and AD stays healthy all year. Is he capable of upgrading his game at 28?

Sure... but unlikely. If Randle could learn to shoot from range, then why not Dennis...but Dennis is older so it's unlikely that he will though I agree it's not out of the question.

Like it or not... Dennis will be the subject of discussion because of his position on the team... he's not some fifth or sixth option (although he should be) that can be an afterthought.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

Penberthy should be fired.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject:

If one objectively looks at how terrible our overall team's performance was, not sure it's fair to blame 1 person to be honest. This was truly a team effort of futility and terribleness.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
This was truly a team effort of futility and terribleness.

This is true. It was also the traditional Lebron team full of passive aggressive.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
This was truly a team effort of futility and terribleness.

This is true. It was also the traditional Lebron team full of passive aggressive.

When KCP was shooting 7% from 3 up to like game 5, I knew this was going to be pretty much a wrap. AC wasn't having his usual elite playoff run either. Those two were our go to perimeter guys besides Rondo last year.
NavyDawg
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

The poor shooting is just mind-boggling to me. It doesn't make sense how we shot so poorly. So many completely open shots were missed.

I was watching the Philly-Atlanta game and I was thinking "the Hawks have 5 shooters better than our best shooter"

The Nuggets got Austin Rivers off the scrap heap and he's already a better shooter than anyone we have

Shooters come to the Lakers to die. Danny Green, Reggie Bullock, KCP, Wes Matthews...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject:

It’s fine to blame a guy like Dennis. But take a look at everyone else too. Where were they? Especially guys who had playoff experience with LBJ? And they’re also asking for pay raises too. Let’s be objective here.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject:

So you're saying the whole team was garbage?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Nope. They PLAYED like it though.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:

Well I mean if they played like garbage and bounced in the 1st round, they are what they are. Injuries only account for so much. Other teams had/have injuries.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:

Well I mean if they played like garbage and bounced in the 1st round, they are what they are. Injuries only account for so much. Other teams had/have injuries.

Sure. But we rely so much on ad on both ends.

What surprised me was how poorly the returning champ role players played.
Lurkernomore
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:

Sure. But we rely so much on ad on both ends.

What surprised me was how poorly the returning champ role players played.

The returning players were KCP, Kuz, AC, Kieff and THT. None of those guys contributed like they did last year. Their play during the bubble was likely a bit of outperformance and the result was the championship. This year, they fell back to earth and contributed to the team being bounced in the first round. The question going forward is what to expect from them, as well as DS, Marc, and Wes, if they stick around.

KCP wasn't 100% physically so he has a bit of an excuse, but
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject:

Dennis gets a lot of blame because he scored 0 points in a playoff game. You just cannot do that. Kyle Lowry was criticized the same way a couple years ago, but he got the chance to make it up in the Finals.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: