Recipe this Off-Season: Sign Some $%#@ SHOOTERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

The shooters are going to more likely be acquired via trade since we don't have many options with FA money....chasing guys like Cooke, Daniels, McLemore, Wes isn't going to do it...been there done that. Rob is going to have to get very creative this off season...that's why IMO there's a good possibility that Kuz, KCP and maybe DS (sign and trade) maybe our best options to obtain legit shooters .
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Shooting is the way to go imo

Like I said, they did this last season, and technically the year prior, and both times, the team struggled to shoot just average at an NBA level at different spots of the floor.

The solution isn't shooting unless the player can do something else, other than shoot.

Just because we were unlucky to target Daniels or Cook... doesn't mean there aren't multifaceted shooters out there. I agree we shouldn't sign one dimensional players but we shouldn't give up on the principle of identifying those who can offer more than just spot up shooting.

Those are the ones LAL can't afford.

The other day we listed a bunch of players who were at or close to the minimum... Payne, Brunson, Grayson Allen, Graham, Bruce Brown, Austin Rivers, Shamet... I'm not saying it would be easy... but there's gotta be some players out there who would jump at the chance to play with AD and LBJ... The endorsements that would come with helping another title run would help negate the losses from signing with us.

I think your list confirms the difficulty of getting shooters who aren't one trick ponies.

Brunson, Allen, Graham, and Allen are all with the team that drafted them or traded for them before their first NBA games.

Shamet and Payne are on the rookie contracts and were acquired in trades.

Bruce Brown is a career 29.8% three-point shooter.

Austin Rivers is a career 35% three-point shooter.

None of them are examples of good shooters who leaped at the chance to be on their current team.

Good shooters who aren't one-dimensional command high salaries, unless they are still on their rookie contract. Good shooters who have other aspects to their game aren't going to flock to play with AD and Lebron unless the $$ are there.

In addition, the value of endorsements is often overstated by fans. Only a handful of stars make a lot of money from endorsements; lesser players, even those on championship teams, rarely make enough from endorsements to justify giving up a lot of salary to play for that team.

For most NBA players, most of their endorsement money comes from shoes. Sure, the Lebrons and Durants make a ton. But for everyone below that level, even making $100,000 on shoe endorsements is uncommon. Not really that much money in endorsements beyond the top 20 or so players in the league.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

^Gets it.

Just waiting for someone to overvalue Duncan Robinson now, overrate his skill, and be willing to trade DS for him, since DR is a motion shooter, a C+S guy, but can't defend without elite team defensive rotation and can't dribble or pass.

I would expect his contract to be around $18-24mil, with DS asking for 24+.

Davis Bertans is of a similar mold with range, motion shooting, and C&S, worse defender, and got around $16+mil a year. Robinson can warrant more.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
First of all, I just think "get a shooter" has been tried and hasn't worked for 2 years.

Second of all, every shooter that's a Laker that can't defend, doesn't actually help the Lakers.

This is more about finding guys that do other things on the floor that impact the game, even if they aren't shooting well. This isn't about other GMs, what they find, etc.

There's also the misconception that players are so willing to accept minimum contracts, especially after rookie contracts or several years in the league.

None of these one-dimensional shooters work. LAL's path to the championship wasn't even perimeter shooting, it was defense first, points in the paint, rebounding, shooting last. It's probably a better idea to stick to players that can do those things and actually stay on the floor and be a positive impact.

DS,KCP,Wes,BMac,Gasol actually are all "shooters" technically. I think shooters being effective shooters also boils down to coaching, role, offensive scheme and team chemistry.

Again, the Lakers did have the #1 DEFRTG in the league so what they did collectively is in line with going for a championship. It is a balance - if you take away the D you better upgrade alot in O or the result is you get FURTHER AWAY from a championship. As you said, getting those types of players comes at a price the Lakers probably can't pay.

Paraphrasing what Utah coach said to Donovan Mitchell last night "Do it on D, it'll happen on O" . The inside trax thing had a lot of good comments on when the shots don't fall btw -_

Outside of being healthy, I mentioned the other problem was actual spacing. That's something that Danny Green provided, even if he didn't hit shots.

I can only say that of Matthews now.

Agreed. Defenses RUN away from the paint for role players with "rep" (guys that Stu calls "Uh Oh" players) like DGreen, Crowder, Lou Will, both Bogdanovics, LaVine, Redick, Herro, Heild, Gallinari, Joe Harris. These aren't really "star" players and it doesn't even really matter if they are having a bad night or don't have 20+ point games that often - the overall offense is just better based on the fact these guys "could" kill you at any moment if you try and double off them.

Lakers just needed 1-2 guys who can establish and maintain the "rep" for making open shots CONSISTANTLY and the spacing wouldn't have looked so horrible. (I also agree that Wes probably is still that guy, will say that KCP had it early in the season and BMac would be regarded this way if he could play enough D to actually stay on the floor for meaningful minutes).

Guys like ADrum and Trez are worthless on this team for this very reason even if they do contribute to D. The essential offensive problem is (whether they like it or not) AD needs to play center and LBJ needs to play the PF almost exclusively. I get that it is less wear and tear on their bodies if they don't, but as coach JVG pointed out often, the Lakers offense is way better when they do....

For me, I think the central roster tweak/upgrade should be Kuz' role - he is WAY too inconsistent to be a 3 threat, not athletic/fast enough to take people off the dribble if they do take away the 3 and THEN ALSO lacks the wing D to get turnovers/instant offense or even to help slow down scoring from the other team's star. The Laker's desperately lack all of these things on the wing that he really is not good at. On top of all that, I would guess is that NO opposing coach EVER says "watch out for Kuz" so there's that. Lastly, if we have to see another season of him getting lost in pointless DHOs and jacking up off balanced shots I am going to

Last edited by Laker_Jocker on Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Kief Morris, KCP, ex-Laker danny green, reggie bullock, etc etc etc were all good three point shooters before came to the Lakers. and once they don the Laker uniform they all become very inconsistent shooters. not sure what the problem is, but this trend is very obvious.

This trend is a myth.

You name four guys who you think were better shooters before coming to the Lakers. One of those four actually improved dramatically as a shooter after coming here. KCP has shot 37.8% on 3s for the Lakers; he shot 33.4% for the Pistons.

Green, Bullock, and Morris have shot below their career averages as Lakers.

However lots of guys we acquired shot as well or better as Lakers than they did for other teams: Steve Blake, Marc Gasol, Vladimir Radmanović, Chucky Atkins, Jumaine Jones and Nick Young are just a few examples.

For every player you can find who shot more poorly on the Lakers, I bet there is a teammate of his who shot better as a Laker. (Examples: Green-KCP ; Bullock-Stephenson; Morris - Gasol)

When you look at the overall numbers, there's no evidence that players lose their shooting touch here.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^Gets it.

Just waiting for someone to overvalue Duncan Robinson now, overrate his skill, and be willing to trade DS for him, since DR is a motion shooter, a C+S guy, but can't defend without elite team defensive rotation and can't dribble or pass.

Davis Bertans is of a similar mold with range, motion shooting, and C&S, worse defender, and got around $16+mil a year. Robinson can warrant more.

If they can find some suckers to pay that amount, then more power for them. I know it only take one GM to get it done. These type of players are not difference makers to warrant such amount but every single year, we see that happen a lot. What we should be trying to accomplish is finding value among the role players that will be a good fit on our team just like finding intrinsic value on undervalued stocks. When you dig deeper, the fundamentals tend to withstand the test of time.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
^Gets it.

If they can find some suckers to pay that amount, then more power for them. I know it only take one GM to get it done. These type of players are not difference makers to warrant such amount but every single year, we see that happen a lot. What we should be trying to accomplish is finding value among the role players that will be a good fit on our team just like finding intrinsic value on undervalued stocks. When you dig deeper, the fundamentals tend to withstand the test of time.

It only takes 1 GM to do that signing. That's the thing. Hence, I don't agree with the approach to shooters, considering it's already been done.

Defense is a priority more than spacing. That part actually makes sense. But guys like McDermott? That's like overpaying for a guy that can't stay on the floor.

At least Matthews way exceeded his value. Why? He hit *some* shots, but did a hell of a job defensively considering his role, and he shouldn't have been considered a tier 1 wing defender in the first place.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Kief Morris, KCP, ex-Laker danny green, reggie bullock, etc etc etc were all good three point shooters before came to the Lakers. and once they don the Laker uniform they all become very inconsistent shooters. not sure what the problem is, but this trend is very obvious.

This trend is a myth.

You name four guys who you think were better shooters before coming to the Lakers. One of those four actually improved dramatically as a shooter after coming here. KCP has shot 37.8% on 3s for the Lakers; he shot 33.4% for the Pistons.

However lots of guys we acquired shot as well or better as Lakers than they did for other teams: Steve Blake, Marc Gasol, Vladimir Radmanović, Chucky Atkins, Jumaine Jones and Nick Young are just a few examples.

For every player you can find who shot more poorly on the Lakers, I bet there is a teammate of his who shot better as a Laker. (Examples: Green-KCP ; Bullock-Stephenson; Morris - Gasol)

When you look at the overall numbers, there's no evidence that players lose their shooting touch here.

You listed guys from a different era, none of whom stuck, and Gasol is possibly retiring this season.

When it's a more dominant USG shooter, their percentages have dropped. The exception is KCP, except you need at least 3 guys to that level of effectiveness in the playoffs. Not 1.

But even when he doesn't hit shots, he actually defends, which goes back to my main point. Defense first.

Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject:

If you look into the details of Green's stint here - even though he shot his career %; I wouldn't use him for having a positive shooting year with us for this reason: He had like 5 games in the regular season where he hit a bunch of threes - for the rest of the 60 games, he shot 33%. For 90% of his stint with us he was a below average shooter... It was not a good shooting season, and we thought we signed a good shooter.. I won't even mention his 44% the year before; ok I will.. haha
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

This trend is a myth.

You listed guys from a different era, none of whom stuck, and Gasol is possibly retiring this season.

When it's a more dominant USG shooter, their percentages have dropped. The exception is KCP, except you need at least 3 guys to that level of effectiveness in the playoffs. Not 1.

But even when he doesn't hit shots, he actually defends, which goes back to my main point. Defense first.

I am more than willing to be corrected, but I need to see the actual information that supports your theory.

This is all about shooting percentage, so if your theory is true, there are numbers to support it.

Perhaps you could define how you are determining who is a "dominant USG shooter" and then provide a list those "more dominant USG shooters" whose percentages have dropped as Lakers?

I'd be interested to see if you can identify more guys who fit into this equation than I can find who don't.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Perhaps you could define how you are determining who is a "dominant USG shooter" and then provide a list those "more dominant USG shooters" whose percentages have dropped as Lakers?

Danny Green, Dennis Schroeder, Kyle Kuzma, Wesley Matthews most recently.

This is part of the reason why shooting % drop as a Laker. LBJ and AD combined are too ball dominant, we don't have the playbook, so our shooters shoot cold, don't generate rhythm, don't get the USG.

Look at their prior years of shooting percentages and USG and notice the difference.

We're not going to change coaching, so, better to look for a different route to get a positive impact player outside of shooting, especially when they cost too much.

LAL doesn't seem to practice as much as other teams either. This isn't like prime Mike D'Antoni years with more consistent practices, high rep 3pt shooting all season long, and everybody gets a wild jump in percentage.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
If you look into the details of Green's stint here - even though he shot his career %; I wouldn't use him for having a positive shooting year with us for this reason: He had like 5 games in the regular season where he hit a bunch of threes - for the rest of the 60 games, he shot 33%. For 90% of his stint with us he was a below average shooter... It was not a good shooting season, and we thought we signed a good shooter.. I won't even mention his 44% the year before; ok I will.. haha

TOR is the outlier development team. No wonder why he shot career highs.

They also had real offensive scheme and really moved the ball. This current team doesn't. Too many ball stoppers, no spacing.

anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject:

It's because the Lakers never invest in a really good shooting coach. I mean, we had Mike Penberthy? A dude who played like 3 games in the NBA.

Get a real shooting coach.....
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

They also had real offensive scheme and really moved the ball. This current team doesn't. Too many ball stoppers, no spacing.

AD at the 5 and him being more willing to pass on short-rolls would help our ball movement... this would firstly require more Bron/AD pick n rolls haha.
Short-roll passes are actually an easier read than being double teamed - because the floor isn't stagnant and you can also drive.
Ryan1973
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Ryan1973 wrote:
The Lakers need to change their approach and get more shooters. The NBA has turned into an offensive league just like the NFL has turned into a passing league. Their current style isn't going to cut it that much longer.

The issue is some of these guys they have had are considered shooters...just something happens in the spotlight.

Even if they got Seth Curry, watch him shoot well below career average.

Good point. Good shooters come to the Lakers and struggle and then seem to find their stroke again once they leave. Danny Green is a perfect example of that.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
^Gets it.

It only takes 1 GM to do that signing. That's the thing. Hence, I don't agree with the approach to shooters, considering it's already been done.

Defense is a priority more than spacing. That part actually makes sense. But guys like McDermott? That's like overpaying for a guy that can't stay on the floor.

At least Matthews way exceeded his value. Why? He hit *some* shots, but did a hell of a job defensively considering his role, and he shouldn't have been considered a tier 1 wing defender in the first place.

I don’t agree to overpaying especially to role players. Low teens is valuable enough to be a moveable asset if it does not pan out. But if we can execute a sign and trade for DS for $24 million, I will gladly drive him to the airport and carry all his luggages.

For mini MLE, I would like to have someone like Batum if he want to stay in SoCal. And hopefully we can entice Wes again.

This years we are a pretty good defensive team regardless of injuries. Shooting went south though when it matters and the IQ kinda bottomed out. I think McDermott can help on both shooting and IQ to play some minutes along with THT off the bench if he’s comes cheap.
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject:

yea I've wanted Mcdermott for a couple years. his ability to shoot on the move/off screens also helps on offense. The coach has to draw it up and call his number though..................
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
think McDermott can help on both shooting and IQ to play some minutes along with THT off the bench if he’s comes cheap.

As a min player for McDermott? Sure. Anything else? No.

If he can't defend, he doesn't play, and Coach Vogel has been absolutely consistent about that.

But a player in his peak at age 29 looking for a min contract?

I don't think so.

DBPM isn't the most accurate, but these are eye-bleeding results.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcderdo01.html

Last edited by Mike@LG on Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

Ballstopper is another problem. Instead of guys looking to screen and run angles for spacing and give more room for Lebron to operate, we have guys
clogging the paint and guys dribble 10-15 seconds only to figure there’s nothing in there and forced a wild layups or turn the ball over. Lol
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

^Unless there's an offensive coach and more practices, I don't think it gets fixed, hence, again, just "getting shooters" isn't going to fix the problem

CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
think McDermott can help on both shooting and IQ to play some minutes along with THT off the bench if he’s comes cheap.

If he can't defend, he doesn't play, and Coach Vogel has been absolutely consistent about that.

I don't think so.

Hey I never thought Harkless was gonna be a bargain. McDermott has down year on his 3 ball. I know he’s a reach but if he comes cheap, I think we can utilized him as a situational shooter.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I don't think so.

Hey I never thought Harkless was gonna be a bargain. McDermott has down year on his 3 ball. I know he’s a reach but if he comes cheap, I think we can utilized him as a situational shooter.

This, I think is part of the problem. LAL had situational shooters last season. They need guys to stay on the floor, along with LBJ and AD, and be capable enough defensively to close. That way when the shooting goes, they're reliable players. Hence, the Danny Green = gravity + defense argument.

I'm all for trading DS, but just addressing 1 skill, without the other team needs, puts LAL in a worse situation than they're in now.

Harkless is cheap. At least he defends and puts size at wing. That's better than what Kuzma provided.

At bare minimum at least he's a break even defensive player, who thrives off ball.

I'd rather have Harkless than McDermott. But hell, I wanted CP3 and Gasol. Figures, he goes to a team that allows PHX to wreck LAL with a dual initiator lineup. At least for his contract, Gasol had moments of real positive impact out there.

Harkless, at his worst with inconsistent PT, is a break even defender. According his DBPM, he's more of a + defender with consistency in terms of USG and PT, moreso than Danny Green.

CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I don't think so.

This, I think is part of the problem. LAL had situational shooters last season. They need guys to stay on the floor, along with LBJ and AD, and be capable enough defensively to close. That way when the shooting goes, they're reliable players. Hence, the Danny Green = gravity + defense argument.

I'm all for trading DS, but just addressing 1 skill, without the other team needs, puts LAL in a worse situation than they're in now.

Harkless is cheap. At least he defends and puts size at wing. That's better than what Kuzma provided.

At bare minimum at least he's a break even defensive player, who thrives off ball.

I'd rather have Harkless than McDermott. But hell, I wanted CP3 and Gasol. Figures, he goes to a team that allows PHX to wreck LAL with a dual initiator lineup. At least for his contract, Gasol had moments of real positive impact out there.

Harkless, at his worst with inconsistent PT, is a break even defender. According his DBPM, he's more of a + defender with consistency in terms of USG and PT, moreso than Danny Green.

DS is at his best with the ball and as an assassin off the bench but we already have THT waiting in the wing and I rather groom and develop him. I see it more as addition by subtraction. But his contract is an asset so if we can execute that sign and trade, we can find better role players. I believe McDermott is better than those aforementioned players that did not pan out for us . I think both Harkless and McDermott can definitely play a role. McDermott can provide spacing for THT off the bench at the very least and also have the size for matchup in the wing. Harkless can be part of our death lineup .
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I think Harkless helps because he's a 2 way player, even if he's just neutral with AD and LBJ.

I don't think the rest move the needle. THT wasn't ready for prime initiating minutes and, his defensive decision making stopped him from more PT.

McDermott, if he can't defend, he's not getting PT either.

DS, he's capable, but wasn't ready for that heat in the playoffs and really got sloppy towards the end of the season with the covid protocol, when he did so well in the middle of the season.

Personally, I don't care about middle of the season. I want LAL to establish death lineups by playoff time.

Considering this season's result, I would have been happier if they didn't make the playoffs. No AD reaggravation injury. I don't care about the draft position. They all needed rest.

I just don't see the point in signing guys that won't stick in the playoffs. That's when the team needs them most.

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
if only it were that simple...

It is true that the 4 likely semifinalists this year (UTH, PHX,PHI, NJN) are top offensive teams with one of them being all star team. Lakers ended up 24th in OFFRTG so I agree that part needs to be addressed in order to score enough points to keep up with these teams.

However, it is ALSO true that 3 of these 4 are top 10 in defense (PHI #2,UTH #3 and PHX #6). NJ has an all star team so defense really doesn't matter although it is apparent they can play good defense if needed. But, just as point of reference, Lakers did end up #1 in DEFRTG.

Ideally, every team is looking for something like a Nash/DAntoni/Malone offense AND Vogel/Snyder/Thibodeau defense. Remember the 2016-2017 Warriors (#1 OFF and #2 DEF) - simply unbeatable (16-1 on their way to the championship).

So, unless you are proposing some way of assembling an all star offensive team where defense is not that pertinent, it is just as important that whatever "shooters" they get be able to play defense too. For example, KP can shoot but sucks on defense so that plus the 30m/yr salary would be a dumb move.

thank you for caring about defense
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: