Scottie Pippen New Book

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Scottie Pippen New Book

https://nypost.com/2021/06/09/scottie-pippen-shades-michael-jordan-in-upcoming-memoir/

“He discusses what it was like dealing with Jordan on a day-to-day basis, while serving as the real leader within the Bulls locker room.”

Can't wait to read it!!!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I always thought Pippen and Jordan were best friends. I also think that about Stockton and Malone.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I always thought Pippen and Jordan were best friends. I also think that about Stockton and Malone.

Did you watch the documentary, The Last Dance? That gave me a good view of Jordan and Pippen's relationship. I also think, and a lot of people think, including Pippen himself, that the documentary didn't paint a very good picture of Scottie.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Did you watch the documentary, The Last Dance? That gave me a good view of Jordan and Pippen's relationship. I also think, and a lot of people think, including Pippen himself, that the documentary didn't paint a very good picture of Scottie.

Only the first episode. What’s the Cliff notes version of their relationship?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Why is this is in the Lakers Lounge?

That being said I'm interested in this book. Not sure how legit his stories are but I'm interested in reading them.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Excerpt of his memoir I honestly forgot all about this until now.

https://www.gq.com/story/scottie-pippen-unguarded-book-excerpt

Quote:
GQ Sports
Scottie Pippen on Michael Jordan in The Last Dance: “He Couldn’t Have Been More Condescending If He Tried”
Read an exclusive excerpt from Scottie Pippen's upcoming memoir, Unguarded.
BY SCOTTIE PIPPEN

November 2, 2021

The following is an excerpt from Scottie Pippen's upcoming memoir, Unguarded, out November 9th. Tune in on November 8th at 7pm to watch GQ's Tyler Tynes interview Scottie, where he'll talk about the book, his wild first interview with GQ, and more.
May 19, 2020, 6:31 p.m.

The text was from Michael. He didn’t reach out very often.

What’s up dude? I’m getting word that you’re upset with me. Love to talk about it if you have time.

My schedule was packed that evening and I knew the conversation would take a while.

I hit him back an hour and a half later:

Let’s talk tomorrow.

Michael was right. I was upset with him. It was because of The Last Dance, the ten-part ESPN documentary about the Chicago Bulls’ final championship season (1997–98), which millions of people watched during the early weeks of the pandemic.

With no live sports on TV, The Last Dance, for five straight Sunday nights starting in mid-April, provided a much-needed distraction from the new normal we suddenly found ourselves in. There was only so much news about hot spots and hospitalizations and deaths anyone could absorb.

The final two episodes aired on May 17. Similar to the previous eight, they glorified Michael Jordan while not giving nearly enough praise to me and my proud teammates. Michael deserved a large portion of the blame. The producers had granted him editorial control of the final product. The doc couldn’t have been released otherwise. He was the leading man and the director.

I had expected much more. When I was first told about it over a year earlier, I couldn’t wait to tune in, knowing it would feature rare footage.

My years in Chicago, beginning as a rookie in the fall of 1987, were the most rewarding of my career: twelve men coming together as one, fulfilling the dreams we had as kids in playgrounds across the land when all we needed was a ball, a basket, and our imagination. To be a member of the Bulls during the 1990s was to be part of something magical. For our times and for all time.

Scottie Pippen on Michael Jordan in The Last Dance He Couldnt Have Been More Condescending If He Tried
Except Michael was determined to prove to the current generation of fans that he was larger-than-life during his day—and still larger than LeBron James, the player many consider his equal, if not superior. So Michael presented his story, not the story of the “Last Dance,” as our coach, Phil Jackson, billed the 1997–98 season once it became obvious the two Jerrys (owner Jerry Reinsdorf and general manager Jerry Krause) were intent on breaking up the gang no matter what happened.

As Krause told Phil in the fall of ’97: You can go 82-0 and it won’t make a difference. This will be your last season as the coach of the Chicago Bulls.

ESPN sent me links to the first eight episodes a couple of weeks in advance. As I watched the doc at home in Southern California with my three teenage boys, I couldn’t believe my eyes.

Among the scenes in the first episode:

Michael, a freshman at the University of North Carolina, hitting the game-winning jump shot against the Georgetown Hoyas in the 1982 NCAA title game.
Michael, drafted third by the Bulls in 1984 behind Hakeem Olajuwon (Houston) and Sam Bowie (Portland), talking about his hopes of turning the franchise around.
Michael leading the Bulls to a comeback triumph over the Milwaukee Bucks in just his third game.
On and on it went, the spotlight shining on number 23.

Even in the second episode, which focused for a while on my difficult upbringing and unlikely path to the NBA, the narrative returned to MJ and his determination to win. I was nothing more than a prop. His “best teammate of all time,” he called me. He couldn’t have been more condescending if he tried.

On second thought, I could believe my eyes. I spent a lot of time around the man. I knew what made him tick. How naïve I was to expect anything else.

Each episode was the same: Michael on a pedestal, his teammates secondary, smaller, the message no different from when he referred to us back then as his “supporting cast.” From one season to the next, we received little or no credit whenever we won but the bulk of the criticism when we lost. Michael could shoot 6 for 24 from the field, commit 5 turnovers, and he was still, in the minds of the adoring press and public, the Errorless Jordan.

Now here I was, in my midfifties, seventeen years since my final game, watching us being demeaned once again. Living through it the first time was insulting enough.

Over the next few weeks, I spoke to a number of my former teammates who each felt as disrespected as I did. How dare Michael treat us that way after everything we did for him and his precious brand. Michael Jordan would never have been Michael Jordan without me, Horace Grant, Toni Kukoc, John Paxson, Steve Kerr, Dennis Rodman, Bill Cartwright, Ron Harper, B. J. Armstrong, Luc Longley, Will Perdue, and Bill Wennington. I apologize to anyone I’ve left out.

I’m not suggesting Michael wouldn’t have been a superstar wherever he ended up. He was that spectacular. Just that he relied on the success we attained as a team—six titles in eight years—to propel him to a level of fame throughout the world no other athlete, except for Muhammad Ali, has reached in modern times.

To make things worse, Michael received $10 million for his role in the doc while my teammates and I didn’t earn a dime, another reminder of the pecking order from the old days. For an entire season, we allowed cameras into the sanctity of our locker rooms, our practices, our hotels, our huddles…our lives.

Michael wasn’t the only former teammate to reach out that week. Two days later, I received a text from John Paxson, the starting point guard from our first two championships, who later became the Bulls’ general manager and then vice president of basketball operations. I heard from Paxson less often than from Michael.

Hey, Pip…its Pax.

Michael Reinsdorf [Jerry’s son, who runs the franchise] gave me your number. Just want you to know I respected everything about you as a teammate. (bleep) narratives can be told but I rely on my real experiences. Watched you grow from a rook…to a pro. Dont let others, including the media, define you. You are successful and valued and I have always felt lucky to be your teammate.

Was receiving texts from Michael and Paxson only two days apart a coincidence? I think not.

Both were aware of how angry I was about the doc. They were checking in to make sure I wouldn’t cause any trouble: to the Bulls, who still paid Paxson as an adviser; or to Michael’s legacy, always a major concern.

Paxson and I hadn’t gotten along in years. In the summer of 2003, I turned down an offer from the Memphis Grizzlies to sign a two-year contract with the Bulls, where I would be a mentor to young players such as Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Jamal Crawford, and Kirk Hinrich, while working closely with the coach, Bill Cartwright. I played with Bill from 1988 through 1994. We used to call him Teach. He didn’t say much. When he did say something, he made you think.

“Pip, I want you to help Bill out,” Paxson said, “to sort of be a coach from the sidelines.”

Why not? A new challenge was exactly what I needed. At thirty-eight, my career was winding down. There was a lot I could offer, on and off the court, and I felt confident the experience would pave the way for me to be a coach myself one day, perhaps with the Bulls.

It didn’t quite work out that way. Bill was fired after 14 games, replaced by Scott Skiles.

I played in only 23 games before retiring in October of 2004. My body was shot after seventeen years in the league—more like nineteen and a half years, if you count the 208 playoff games. Paxson felt I had let him, and the franchise, down. Which might explain why, after my career was over, he didn’t seek my opinion about personnel matters even though he knew how much I wanted to have a say in the team’s future.

In 2010, when I was finally put on the Bulls’ payroll, I was nothing more than a mascot, trotted out a few times every year for “appearances.” I signed autographs and met with season-ticket holders, hired for mainly one purpose, to serve as a link to the glory days.

At last, in early 2014, it appeared I would play a more meaningful role. The Bulls sent me to about a dozen college games to do some scouting. One of the trips was to Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, North Carolina, to see No. 5 Duke host No. 1 Syracuse. I had watched many Duke games on TV. What a scene it was: the students, their faces painted in blue, standing up the whole game to root for their beloved Blue Devils and rattle their poor opponents.

Duke, led by freshman forward Jabari Parker, defeated Syracuse, 66–60.

I couldn’t believe how loud it was. Louder even than Chicago Stadium, where we played for many years. I was excited to be involved with the basketball operations. For the Bulls to benefit from my expertise instead of exploiting my name.

After filing the scouting reports, I waited to hear back from Paxson and other members of the organization. What would they want me to do next?

I didn’t hear a word.

Nor did the Bulls invite me to any meetings or workouts with prospects in the weeks leading up to the 2014 NBA draft. It dawned on me they’d been humoring me from the start.

On May 22, 2020, the day after Paxson sent his text, the two of us spoke for a few minutes over the phone. He got right to the point:

“Pip, I hated how things turned out when you came back to Chicago. This organization has always treated you poorly, and I want you to know that I think it’s not right.”

I was glad to hear Paxson admit a wrong I had known forever. Which didn’t mean I was willing to forgive him. If that, indeed, was what he was looking for. It was too late for that.

“John,” I said, “that is all fine and dandy, but you worked in the front office for the Bulls for almost twenty years. You had a chance to change that and you didn’t.”

He began to cry. Not knowing how to respond, I waited for him to stop. Why he was crying, I couldn’t be sure, and honestly, I didn’t care.

Before long, our chat was, mercifully, over.

Excerpted from Unguarded by Scottie Pippen. Copyright © 2021 by Scottie Pippen. Excerpted by permission of Atria Books, a division of Simon & Schuster.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Pippen has lost his mind... this is the same guy who called Phil a racist, just because Phil ran play for Kukoc to take the final shot... so he threw a tantrum and refused to come out and play.

what a "real leader" he is, huh?
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Pippen made some bad financial decisions in his basketball and post-basketball career. Its sad he has to publicly ostracize his teammates and coaches to make some cash.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Pippen made some bad financial decisions in his basketball and post-basketball career. Its sad he has to publicly ostracize his teammates and coaches to make some cash.

It's likely not about the money. He wants to tell his side of the story.

I'm rarely sympathetic to athletes and entertainers with an axe to grind. Part of making princely sums of money is putting up with the BS it entails. I have no reason to doubt his version of the truth - my only response is: "so what?"

He made $100+ million, plus endorsements, and he's whining because MJ is getting all of the credit? OK.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject:

This isn’t surprising. The Jordan documentary didn’t give Pipoen a lot of credit, so it’s not surprising that Pipoen was going to throw a hissy fit. He’s always been a prickly guy. Like it or not, the Kukoc incident defined his image for a lot of us. He was an excellent player, but there was always something about him that was just off.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Man, he just sounds like a big, sensitive baby. And jealous too.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

He's always had a chip on his shoulder. Never felt he got his fair due. I mean he literally refused to come in for the final shot of a playoff game because Phil drew up a shot for Kukoc instead of him.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Why is this is in the Lakers Lounge?

That being said I'm interested in this book. Not sure how legit his stories are but I'm interested in reading them.

Scottie was an assistant coach for the Lakers in 2006. So I guess this can be Lakers related.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject:

It’s funny that no one takes the guy who seemingly knew mj as well as anyone seriously.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
It’s funny that no one takes the guy who seemingly knew mj as well as anyone seriously.

If he said it two years ago, I would have taken him more seriously. He said it after ESPN ran a documentary that made him feel disrespected. I take him less seriously under those circumstances.
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Except Michael was determined to prove to the current generation of fans that he was larger-than-life during his day—and still larger than LeBron James, the player many consider his equal, if not superior. So

Michael didn't bounce around the league trying to put super teams together because that was the only way he could win.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
Quote:
Except Michael was determined to prove to the current generation of fans that he was larger-than-life during his day—and still larger than LeBron James, the player many consider his equal, if not superior. So

Michael didn't bounce around the league trying to put super teams together because that was the only way he could win.

pip was one of the best players in the league. kukoc was one of the best 6th men. Rodman, grant, he never had to. He had a stacked team. That bulls team without MJ was one fake call away from going to ecf. Pips career away from MJ was better than mikes without pip.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject:

BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
Quote:

So sensitive lol

Pippen's claim has nothing to do with whether or not the debate is warranted.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
Quote:

pip was one of the best players in the league. kukoc was one of the best 6th men. Rodman, grant, he never had to. He had a stacked team. That bulls team without MJ was one fake call away from going to ecf. Pips career away from MJ was better than mikes without pip.

MJ is the GOAT in my book, but there has never been a one man team that won a championship.

THESE are the teammates of MJ who won rings WITHOUT HIM:
Ron Harper
Horace Grant
Dennis Rodman
Steve Kerr
John Salley
Will Perdue
Chuck Nevitt
Greg Foster
James Edwards
Robert Parish
David Greenwood
Charles Jones
Mike Smrek
Earl Cureton
Sam Vincent
Richard Hamilton
Brendan Haywood
Tyronn Lue
Brian Cardinal

When you add in the HOFers and All Stars who won with him and were great players when he was out or retired:

Scottie Pippen
Toni Kukoc

You see that while MJ was The Man, he had a lot of help.

Phil Jackson coached in more NBA Finals without MJ (7) than he did with MJ (6).
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

I don’t doubt a lot of the details of his stories and some of his opinions are likely to be true. But I think he is clearly very jealous of the attention and praise MJ has gotten over the years.

It’s also amazing to see someone that has been so famous and so successful look at the glass half empty like that. A lot of the Bulls players would probably love to be another Scottie Pippen and have the money and fame that goes along with being a guy like that.

Finally, does he have positive things to say about anybody? Hopefully he does.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I don’t doubt a lot of the details of his stories and some of his opinions are likely to be true. But I think he is clearly very jealous of the attention and praise MJ has gotten over the years.

It’s also amazing to see someone that has been so famous and so successful look at the glass half empty like that. A lot of the Bulls players would probably love to be another Scottie Pippen and have the money and fame that goes along with being a guy like that.

Finally, does he have positive things to say about anybody? Hopefully he does.

He’s just talking but the reverence people show for mj and cynicism of everything seemingly takes a guys highly educated opinion and twists it into something more. Doubting him is fine but it’s also funny. No one here has any clue as to who mj is. Yet they know better than one of the few who actually does.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
Quote:

you mean, winning RoY, MVP, scoring titles, prior to Pippen fail compare to Pip minus MJ?

lol
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

It's likely not about the money. He wants to tell his side of the story.

I'm rarely sympathetic to athletes and entertainers with an axe to grind. Part of making princely sums of money is putting up with the BS it entails. I have no reason to doubt his version of the truth - my only response is: "so what?"

He made $100+ million, plus endorsements, and he's whining because MJ is getting all of the credit? OK.

He made all that money not playing for the Bulls....he locked into that contract for long term stability while playing for the Bulls but it was a terrible decision on his part knowing how salaries exploded in the 90's. So he is incredibly bitter towards the franchise and probably MJ since at the height of the team's popularity he wasn't able to cash in. Then in his post playing career he made some questionable financial decisions such as purchasing a private jet when he didn't have the financial means to afford such a money sink. So yes he does feel slighted probably for somebody of his athletic accomplishments where he has to work at ESPN for modest wages or writing books to get by.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: