Next 4 years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Most on this board were happy (for the most part) going into this season. This was obviously a weird time because of Covid. The two teams who played in the championship last season flamed. Is it a coincidence? I do not think so considering their lack of rest. Riles has come out and said such. So we had a tired team pushing which resulted in more injuries than the norm (games lost are hard to overcome for any team). Players who are not playing because of or trying to play while injured is a recipe for disaster for ANY team. Couple that with guys underperforming and we have what we are faced with today. It really is not rocket science.

I am not familiar with all the COVID restrictions, but wasn't there something about limited practice time?

If so that also rips the ability of teams to prepare for other teams and counter their tactics..especially when your star like AD is out, how do you have enough practice time to prepare a lineup without AD?

Look at the finals last year for instance, the Lakers started strong against the Heat, than they countered by having someone screen LBJ when Butler was guarding him..than we put AD on him..that worked one game..than they did something like a backward screen to counter that..but the Lakers came with a counter the next game.

It seems adjustments are a big part of the playoffs and if COVID restrictions limit your ability to do that due to lack of practice time, how do you really prepare?
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

Our roster are ok. Injuries are the issue. The short off-season after a championship run really hurt the team. Have said that, the rotation in late regular season and playoffs was really bad. Obviously players were frustrated and team spirit was not good either.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Splitting hairs, the main reason for the first round exit were the injuries to lebron and AD. 60% LeBron, Danny Green, Rondo and Dwight don’t get past Phoenix either, although I dont think Phoenix gets past the next round themselves

Lakers just need to get healthy and sort out the center position, Gasol is old and slow, Harrell is not a rim protector and Drummond reminds me of Kwame. Lebron has one or two good years left to get another ring
Lurkernomore
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject:

I agree that regardless of what was done last offseason, AD's injury and LBJ being a shell of himself would have resulted in a loss at some point during these playoffs. Pelinka's moves were pretty much universally praised on this board as well as by other NBA talking heads. In retrospect, the Harrell acquisition turned out to be a bust, all the concerns about his defense proved to be true and he just didn't seem to fit well. Gasol played like "Gas-old" most of the season, Wes couldn't fill the shoes of Danny G and Dennis proved to be more of a combo guard than a point. For the returning players, KCP and Kieff weren't able to replicate their play from last year's bubble run, Caruso showed his limitations especially when playing without LBJ, THT proved to be a significant jump away from being a legit player and Kuzma continued his maddeningly consistent inconsistency. When I remove my Laker's colored glasses, what I see is likely the worst supporting cast to the primary stars of ANY roster in the NBA.

As such, my biggest fear is looking ahead. The roster needs to be desperately upgraded and the Lakers have very few avenues to do so. A secondary, if not primary, ball-handler/point and legit 3 pt shooting are glaring needs. What's worse is that the other contenders have a much better trajectory than we do; Phoenix - Booker, Bridges and Ayton, Denver - Jokic, Murray and MPJ, Utah - Mitchell, Gobert and Conley, Milwaukee - Giannis, Middleton and Holiday Philly - Embiid, Simmons, Harris, Brooklyn obviously has their Big 3. While it may be heresy to say so on this board, the Clippers have the most talent of anyone in the league (assuming Kawhi stays). Dallas has Luka, who is the player I choose if I have to start building a team for the next 5-10 years, Golden State will get Thompson back, Memphis is on the rise as is New Orleans with all their draft picks to build on Zion and BI. The league is getting better.

Contrast that with the Lakers. Our hopes are that Kuzma has a "Randle"-type improvement next year, KCP becomes less of a mental midget and THT simultaneously develops a 3 pt shot, a better concept of defense, and a left hand?? Yikes. LBJ has done a remarkable job of holding Father Time off, but I think we can all see that he is on the backside of his prime. AD has got to grow to be the best player on this team. LBJ can be the most important player given all his responsibilities, but AD has to be the clear #1 for this team to win championships. I think he can do it and for all our sakes, I hope he does. Dennis has the team over a barrel, if we don't keep him we have no avenue to bring in anyone close to his talent level (similar to KCP last year). To me that screams "overpay", maybe the best-case scenario is a sign and trade if that is possible. The team has to hope that Harrell opts out. Most likely, we'll need to replace Kieff, Wes and maybe Caruso. The center situation needs to get sorted out. Can all that be done with the exceptions that the Lakers may have depending on what happens AND vet minimum ring chasers? I'm not so sure, please help me find some hope!
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Splitting hairs, the main reason for the first round exit were the injuries to lebron and AD. 60% LeBron, Danny Green, Rondo and Dwight don’t get past Phoenix either, although I dont think Phoenix gets past the next round themselves

Lakers just need to get healthy and sort out the center position, Gasol is old and slow, Harrell is not a rim protector and Drummond reminds me of Kwame. Lebron has one or two good years left to get another ring

Yea, we don't know if our championship squad get past the suns given AD's injury or even if AD and Bron gets injured. The bottom line, Rob made a big mistake By dismantling a championship squad and now we are not in a good situation, right now. We will see what we do in the off season, but as of now, I don't have faith in Rob
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Next 4 years

Dr. Laker wrote:
petergr wrote:
The ring was awesome...Front office needs to do a much better job to navigate the next 4 years with the team entering salary cap hell. Lakers don't control the picks for the next four years after this...no protections too.

I think the title window for Lebron is closed. They really need to to hit a home run with this year's pick....need to get a wing in the caliber of Ingram or OG Anunoby to rebuild post Lebron.

Last off season was bad:
1) Letting Rondo leave and having the full MLE was a good move. But that was wasted on Harrell who is unplayable in crunch time . That will be the last 10 M free agent slot.
2) Giving up Danny Green. Schroeder is worth giving up a first rounder but giving up a solid 3&D starter on a good contract as filler salary was bad
3) Letting Dwight walk for no reason and then creating a mess at Center

There was nothing wrong with last off-season. If you reverse all of the above listed moves and then lose AD in the playoffs and have LeBron at 60%, it would still be a first round exit.

I agree...

all this stuff about the role players and blowing up the team...

I think people need to watch game 3 again.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Next 4 years

Dr. Laker wrote:
petergr wrote:
The ring was awesome...Front office needs to do a much better job to navigate the next 4 years with the team entering salary cap hell. Lakers don't control the picks for the next four years after this...no protections too.

I think the title window for Lebron is closed. They really need to to hit a home run with this year's pick....need to get a wing in the caliber of Ingram or OG Anunoby to rebuild post Lebron.

Last off season was bad:
1) Letting Rondo leave and having the full MLE was a good move. But that was wasted on Harrell who is unplayable in crunch time . That will be the last 10 M free agent slot.
2) Giving up Danny Green. Schroeder is worth giving up a first rounder but giving up a solid 3&D starter on a good contract as filler salary was bad

There was nothing wrong with last off-season. If you reverse all of the above listed moves and then lose AD in the playoffs and have LeBron at 60%, it would still be a first round exit.

I agree...

all this stuff about the role players and blowing up the team...

I think people need to watch game 3 again.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject:

I agree that injuries are a big reason for Lakers losing in round-1. At the same time the off season was bad....this team is not going to win it all even when healthy. The champion window was shut because of a poor off season.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Lurkernomore wrote:
I agree that regardless of what was done last offseason, AD's injury and LBJ being a shell of himself would have resulted in a loss at some point during these playoffs. Pelinka's moves were pretty much universally praised on this board as well as by other NBA talking heads. In retrospect, the Harrell acquisition turned out to be a bust, all the concerns about his defense proved to be true and he just didn't seem to fit well. Gasol played like "Gas-old" most of the season, Wes couldn't fill the shoes of Danny G and Dennis proved to be more of a combo guard than a point. For the returning players, KCP and Kieff weren't able to replicate their play from last year's bubble run, Caruso showed his limitations especially when playing without LBJ, THT proved to be a significant jump away from being a legit player and Kuzma continued his maddeningly consistent inconsistency. When I remove my Laker's colored glasses, what I see is likely the worst supporting cast to the primary stars of ANY roster in the NBA.

As such, my biggest fear is looking ahead. The roster needs to be desperately upgraded and the Lakers have very few avenues to do so. A secondary, if not primary, ball-handler/point and legit 3 pt shooting are glaring needs. What's worse is that the other contenders have a much better trajectory than we do; Phoenix - Booker, Bridges and Ayton, Denver - Jokic, Murray and MPJ, Utah - Mitchell, Gobert and Conley, Milwaukee - Giannis, Middleton and Holiday Philly - Embiid, Simmons, Harris, Brooklyn obviously has their Big 3. While it may be heresy to say so on this board, the Clippers have the most talent of anyone in the league (assuming Kawhi stays). Dallas has Luka, who is the player I choose if I have to start building a team for the next 5-10 years, Golden State will get Thompson back, Memphis is on the rise as is New Orleans with all their draft picks to build on Zion and BI. The league is getting better.

Contrast that with the Lakers. Our hopes are that Kuzma has a "Randle"-type improvement next year, KCP becomes less of a mental midget and THT simultaneously develops a 3 pt shot, a better concept of defense, and a left hand?? Yikes. LBJ has done a remarkable job of holding Father Time off, but I think we can all see that he is on the backside of his prime. AD has got to grow to be the best player on this team. LBJ can be the most important player given all his responsibilities, but AD has to be the clear #1 for this team to win championships. I think he can do it and for all our sakes, I hope he does. Dennis has the team over a barrel, if we don't keep him we have no avenue to bring in anyone close to his talent level (similar to KCP last year). To me that screams "overpay", maybe the best-case scenario is a sign and trade if that is possible. The team has to hope that Harrell opts out. Most likely, we'll need to replace Kieff, Wes and maybe Caruso. The center situation needs to get sorted out. Can all that be done with the exceptions that the Lakers may have depending on what happens AND vet minimum ring chasers? I'm not so sure, please help me find some hope!

This is my point...the wasted the last major free agent tool on Harrell...the team will be in salary cap hell for the next few years and the draft picks are all controlled by Pelicans after this year.

Lots of contending teams are young and will improve....Warriors are not one of the them. They will be a fringe play-off team like this year...Klay wont make much difference...they are already in salary cap hell. Lakers wont be favorites to sign ring chasers...this year Brooklyn was the first chose for those types of players...there will be other contenders for those type of players.

The way center position was handled by letting Dwight walk and trading Jvale with a pick attached were really bad...same with giving up 3&D wing like Danny Green as filler salary (in addition to the 1st round pick) in the Schroeder trade.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Next 4 years

MJST wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
petergr wrote:

Last off season was bad:

And our offense would have been about 10x worse.

And fans would still find ways to complain.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Next 4 years

troy wrote:
petergr wrote:

Last off season was bad:

Everything you said is 100% correct. People will fall back on the injury-card because it's a convenient way to deflect culpability, and people don't like to confront conflict anyway. But make no mistake about it, Rob Pelinka did a dis-service to the Lakers when he deconstructed a championship winning roster. Injuries, while a major contributor to the Lakers not repeating, have nothing to do with Pelinka's gambling, and losing, with what was a proven roster.

When will people not understand if you take away healthy Anthony Davis and LeBron James from our championship roster we don’t win a chip it is all about the health of those two players
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
I agree that injuries are a big reason for Lakers losing in round-1. At the same time the off season was bad....this team is not going to win it all even when healthy. The champion window was shut because of a poor off season.

I’m sorry but that is just not true whenever two of the top five players in the league are on your team and healthy it covers up a lot of inadequacies on other parts of the roster we were beating these teams that are playing in the playoffs right now when we were healthy LeBron and Anthony Davis not being healthy made all the difference in the world regardless of the acquisitions and walking players of the previous off-season
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject:

Even with Healthy LBJ/AD we are not winning this year. Too many holes. Agree that if AD/LBJ were down last year's team is also not winning. But they won when they were healthy though. This year's team doesn't have it

1) Why would you take out a 3&D guy and bring a bench caliber , can't shoot, can't facilitate PG in his contract year? now he got entire FO by the balls. was he going to play Rondo's role when Bron sits?

2) why would you spend entire MLE on an undersized center who can't spread the floor?

3) how can LBJ/AD/DS/TREZ/DRUMM/THT all attack the paint at the same time?

4) why in the world you let Dwight walk. dude was very happy to comeback on a minimum. signing Dwight/Gasol would have been perfect and spend MLE on some shooter.

Rob the genius created more holes than last year and his fan's can't change the fact no matter how much they blame on injuries.

the worst part is not the 1st round exit. Now you don't even have much options to improve the roster. we have to overpay DS and wish Trez opts in and beg them to agree for a trade
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject:

Disagree. Healthy I think we could have won it all this year.

But health is part of the game. Denver lost Murray and they're probably done.

Clips/Jazz/76ers/Nets/Bucks/Suns have relatively healthy teams and it shows.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Even with Healthy LBJ/AD we are not winning this year. Too many holes. Agree that if AD/LBJ were down last year's team is also not winning. But they won when they were healthy though. This year's team doesn't have it

1) Why would you take out a 3&D guy and bring a bench caliber , can't shoot, can't facilitate PG in his contract year? now he got entire FO by the balls. was he going to play Rondo's role when Bron sits?

2) why would you spend entire MLE on an undersized center who can't spread the floor?

4) why in the world you let Dwight walk. dude was very happy to comeback on a minimum. signing Dwight/Gasol would have been perfect and spend MLE on some shooter.

Rob the genius created more holes than last year and his fan's can't change the fact no matter how much they blame on injuries.

the worst part is not the 1st round exit. Now you don't even have much options to improve the roster. we have to overpay DS and wish Trez opts in and beg them to agree for a trade

This is a really good summary on Rob's "genius" moves and the "injury" narrative. Props on this.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:

No, the worst part was the first round exit. If we won a title, or even if we just got to the Finals, all of the other problems would be secondary. But I agree with your commentary otherwise. Pelinka has yet to impress me as a team builder. I've been consistent about this all along. I see other people jumping off the Pelinka bandwagon. Welcome back, brothers and sisters.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

This is a really good summary on Rob's "genius" moves and the "injury" narrative. Props on this.

Injury narrative? It actually happened. Not sure why people can't understand this.

Look at the top teams remaining in the playoffs. Common denominator (besides Nuggets who will likely be swept now)? Health for the playoffs.

I can buy Rob's mistakes as a GM this season. I didn't like the Trezz signing, and trading for Dennis w/out an extension was clearly a mistake too. But injuries certainly killed this year. It's not an excuse. It's a reality.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Next 4 years

mad55557777 wrote:
petergr wrote:

Last off season was bad:

If not Trezz, then who? Ibaka? The point is that MLE aren’t suppose to get you a star, and Trezz being sixth man of the year for MLE was a great deal.

I looked up all the teams that used the nontaxpayer MLE to sign a player for at least $4M (some teams split the MLE between several inconsequential or second round players). I bolded the guys playing 15 MPG in the playoffs.

Boston Celtics
Used: $9,258,000 (Tristan Thompson)

Chicago Bulls
Used: $4,767,000 (Garrett Temple)

Dallas Mavericks
Used: $4,100,000 (Willie Cauley-Stein); $3,000,000 (Trey Burke)

Denver Nuggets
Used: $7,199,760 (JaMychal Green)

Los Angeles Clippers
Used: $9,258,000 (Serge Ibaka)

Los Angeles Lakers
Used: $9,258,000 (Montrezl Harrell)

Miami Heat
Used: $5,635,000 (Avery Bradley); $3,623,000 (Maurice Harkless)

Milwaukee Bucks
Used: $6,666,667 (D.J. Augustin); $2,337,145 (Bryn Forbes)

Phoenix Suns
Used: $9,258,000 (Jae Crowder)

Portland Trail Blazers
Used: $9,258,000 (Derrick Jones)

Toronto Raptors
Used: $7,000,000 (Aron Baynes); $2,258,000 (Alex Len)

Utah Jazz
Used: $9,258,000 (Derrick Favors)

Washington Wizards
Used: $7,300,000 (Robin Lopez)
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

Injury narrative? It actually happened. Not sure why people can't understand this.

Look at the top teams remaining in the playoffs. Common denominator (besides Nuggets who will likely be swept now)? Health for the playoffs.

I can buy Rob's mistakes as a GM this season. I didn't like the Trezz signing, and trading for Dennis w/out an extension was clearly a mistake too. But injuries certainly killed this year. It's not an excuse. It's a reality.

If not for the Injuries, we will be winning is the WRONG narrative. This roster can't win the chip. Too many holes. Rob not only killed This year, he handicapped us going forward too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject:

We were up 2-1 with AD healthy in the playoffs. We would have won that series against the Suns who are up 2-0 on the Nuggets right now.

Injuries are part of the game. I won't neglect that.

But, if we are arguing in the hypothetical, we had a chance to win it all with a healthy but flawed squad.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We were up 2-1 with AD healthy in the playoffs. We would have won that series against the Suns who are up 2-0 on the Nuggets right now.

But, if we are arguing in the hypothetical, we had a chance to win it all with a healthy but flawed squad.

Agreeee
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreeee

I'm not saying it's a guarantee we would win, but to write off a healthy Lakers squad is just not fair. But alas, injuries are part of the game and we lost due to it.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

It's a narrative because it's painted as that's the only reason we lost. It was a reason we lost, not the only. Y'all dismiss the fact that we had holes in this year's team and it was idiotic for Rob to break up a championship squad after winning their 1st title; that had less holes, more chemistry, and defined roles. To combat that and excuse the huge mistake that Rob made, that he should be accountable for, y'all go into hypothetical theories that if Bron and AD would have been injured with the team that won the championship, they wouldn't have won. Without taking into account, what if they didn't get injured? We know they got injured this year, so there is no "what if." There's a "what if" with the championship winning squad. Also, Injuries does not exclude the holes in the team or the mistake that Rob made, but y'all will keep the injury narrative going, at all cost.

Bron and AD got injured. That played a part in us losing. If you wanna say a big part, fine. This team also had holes. We tried to sign Drummond to alleviate a hole, but it made matters worse. It was a good risk, but it didn't translate into a reward. We should have kept the championship squad, but Rob made a mistake in dismantling it, after the 1st championship. To me, that's the biggest part in not repeating, to me. The way Rob constructed this team was disastrous, and disaster happened.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Dallas Mavericks were up 2-0 vs the Clippers. I don't see what that proves. The suns could have very well still beat us with a healthy AD. I think they might have, to be honest because of our holes a d them being the better team, collectively, with more chemistry, and defined roles. They kept their squad from last year together and added Jae and CP3 to it, which upgraded the bunch. That's what smart GM's do. Add to what's already shown to be really good. Not break some thing that is not broke.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

It's a narrative because it's painted as that's the only reason we lost. It was a reason we lost, not the only. Y'all dismiss the fact that we had holes in this year's team and it was idiotic for Rob to break up a championship squad after winning their 1st title; that had less holes, more chemistry, and defined roles. To combat that and excuse the huge mistake that Rob made, that he should be accountable for, y'all go into hypothetical theories that if Bron and AD would have been injured with the team that won the championship, they wouldn't have won. Without taking into account, what if they didn't get injured? We know they got injured this year, so there is no "what if." There's a "what if" with the championship winning squad. Also, Injuries does not exclude the holes in the team or the mistake that Rob made, but y'all will keep the injury narrative going, at all cost.

Bron and AD got injured. That played a part in us losing. If you wanna say a big part, fine. This team also had holes. We tried to sign Drummond to alleviate a hole, but it made matters worse. It was a good risk, but it didn't translate into a reward. We should have kept the championship squad, but Rob made a mistake in dismantling it, after the 1st championship. To me, that's the biggest part in not repeating, to me. The way Rob constructed this team was disastrous, and disaster happened.

I think with last year squad and same injuries (AD, also KCP and Bron), result would've been same. Do you think they would've made the playoff then advanced to the 2nd round
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: