Recipe this Off-Season: Sign Some $%#@ SHOOTERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I think Harkless helps because he's a 2 way player, even if he's just neutral with AD and LBJ.

I don't think the rest move the needle. THT wasn't ready for prime initiating minutes and, his defensive decision making stopped him from more PT.

McDermott, if he can't defend, he's not getting PT either.

DS, he's capable, but wasn't ready for that heat in the playoffs and really got sloppy towards the end of the season with the covid protocol, when he did so well in the middle of the season.

Personally, I don't care about middle of the season. I want LAL to establish death lineups by playoff time.

Considering this season's result, I would have been happier if they didn't make the playoffs. No AD reaggravation injury. I don't care about the draft position. They all needed rest.

I just don't see the point in signing guys that won't stick in the playoffs. That's when the team needs them most.

Death lineup is the most important next to AD/Lebron health. It’s unfortunate that injury bug hit us when it matters (AD particularly and KCP and Caruso to some extent). That’s hard to overcome but I don’t see DS should be part of that lineup. Not a good fit offensively and does not have enough size defensively especially on bigger wing matchup. And he is turnover waiting to happen. I was hoping he has another gear defensively but it is what it is.

I think THT should be given consistent minutes off the bench. His development is imperative because he is very promising. But we must be very patient and actually let him learn from his mistake. The fact is, most of the young guys need experience to get better defensively.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I agree DS isn't part of the death lineup, nor is THT. I think this is why I wasn't initially happy with the Green trade. It took away from what the Lakers needed and had to compensate in other areas.

Pretty sure DG is gone forever, no matter how he gets torched at POA. He's not a POA guy anyway.

I'd rather not rely on THT's development, especially if we didn't see it in the playoffs on both ends of the floor. Basically, need two versions of Wes Matthews and D39 or Damian Jones back just to have a lob threat all over again.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I agree DS isn't part of the death lineup, nor is THT. I think this is why I wasn't initially happy with the Green trade. It took away from what the Lakers needed and had to compensate in other areas.

Pretty sure DG is gone forever, no matter how he gets torched at POA. He's not a POA guy anyway.

I'd rather not rely on THT's development, especially if we didn't see it in the playoffs on both ends of the floor. Basically, need two versions of Wes Matthews and D39 or Damian Jones back just to have a lob threat all over again.

Not happy with the Green trade either. I think we are the only minority here that was not particularly thrilled with that trade. I saw it more as a regular season move because at the end of the day and when it matter, it is Lebron ball and AD as finisher. Other guys have to fill in the blank and have that gravity to spread the floor and have more room for Lebron to operate. Green understand how to play winning type of basketball and it’s the reason he was + 100 even when his shooting was off.

THT development is important. In essence, he represent a long term plan for us and also could be a more enticing trade asset for a another star that fits our timeline. Even if you don’t believe he’s a game changer (and neither I am at this point) , if he takes a leap, it is a win-win for us. I think the FO believe on him enough that they are not willing to attach him on that Lowry trade .
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

I know a lot of people weren't happy when Green was here, but there were games we won including one in the Finals that were influenced by his hustle or late game offensive rebound out of nowhere.

I probably would still have made the Schroeder trade, but with the mindset that Schroder came off the bench with KCP and WM starting.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I think the FO believe on him enough that they are not willing to attach him on that Lowry trade .

I was surprised the trade wasn't executed tbh, but totally understand that LAL needs all the trade flexibility this off season as well.

Lowry's contract puts a halt to everything.

miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

The league now is a guard driven league... Look at all the teams left. Besides shooters. We need guards who can create, breakdown defenses and score at a high rate.

Kyrie/Harden
Mitchell/Clarkson/Ingles
PG13/Jackson
Cp3/Booker/Payne
Jrue/Middleton
Trae/Huerter/Bogdan
Simmons/Curry/Green

Nuggets missing Murray/Barton and see how they are now struggling.

Problem is Lakers using guards by committee, it created inconsistent play because those guys dont have consistent playing time. We have too many guards who can’t shoot or can’t create. DS/AC/THT/KCP/Matthews... DS/KCP starting barely equal to one of those guys. DS is not even close to those guys. When it comes to shooting and creating. KCP/AC are nice defensive guy but inconsistent and cant create. Matthews just old and bench guy at this point. THT needs to work on shooting shooting shooting. He has the most potential to turn into one of those guys. He is not ready to be a starter.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject:

^It's always been like that, but they're not getting that caliber of guard unless they're trading AD.

Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject:

……………
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Well that plan to a turn.
Big Shot Bob
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Spit-balling here on Dennis S&T possibilities that could make sense for the other team...

Chicago: Thad Young & Al-Farouq Aminu
- Reason: Actually gain cap room if the deal is for Dennis & McKinnie's contract; would free up cap room to add another major free agent alongside their new core of LaVine, Vucevic, Schroder, Patrick Williams & Coby White.

Dallas: Josh Richardson & Dwight Powell/Maxi Kleber
- Reason: If Dallas strikes out on Lowry, Conley and the other PGs, it could make sense to swap out Richardson and one of their bigs in exchange for Dennis. It, like the Bulls deal above, then allows them to pursue another major free agent as well.

Boston: Marcus Smart & Tristan Thompson
- Reason: They lack a lead guard right now - Smart and Thompson would both fit into the rotation for the Lakers, and Schroder slides in as a starter next to Brown, Tatum and Horford.

Minnesota: Malik Beasley & Jarrett Culver/Jake Layman/Josh Okogie
- Reason: Beasley is a large contract and a bit of a wild card for the Wolves at this point. They don't have a veteran roster in place to support him - in fact, they just traded their most stable veteran, Rubio, to the Cavs. This deal basically makes their new backcourt Schroder and D'Angelo. The Lakers gain a high-reward type player who can at least fill it up off the bench and provide a shooting threat (Beasley), and another low-risk player that could potentially contribute or whose salary could eventually serve as a trade chip (Culver, Layman or Okogie). The Wolves become hard-capped, but they'd already have 11 players on the roster and they'd be around $130m in team salary... so not exactly a big deal for them.

Sadly, I don't see any sensible deals for Miami or the Knicks, other than those teams potentially sending the Lakers a trade exception and/or a second round pick. However, it could take a second round pick and/or cash in order to convince those teams to even comply with the S&T.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Shooting is overrated.. with the bricks this team will be putting up on a consistent basis Bron and Westbrook could both be adding to that sexy trip dub career totals quiteeee a bit.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject:

I just hope JJ isn’t signed. His defense is horrendous. Rather get BMac back.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject:

I mean the Bucks won the chip and were horrible shooting the 3. They won with defense and their superstar. And year before that we won with defense and our superstars. Not saying we don’t need shooters but getting WB gives Bron rest and doesn’t have to carry us through the postseason. WB and Davis chemistry will be great, they’re very close. We can find vet shooters to plug in and getting 20-30 a night from our big 3. Love to see THt become that 4th guy and give us 12-14 a night
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject:

LeBron and AD better get in the gym and shoot many hundreds of 3s the rest of the summer.

I'd love AD to get back to shooting in the high 30s from downtown like he did the 2nd half of last season and in the playoffs/finals. That would greatly help.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LeBron and AD better get in the gym and shoot many hundreds of 3s the rest of the summer.

I'd love AD to get back to shooting in the high 30s from downtown like he did the 2nd half of last season and in the playoffs/finals. That would greatly help.

AD better get ready for his dunks, because Russ playing PNR with him is going to be fun.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: