Off season talk: Get Complentary pieces Or go all in for a 3rd star
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Off season talk: Get Complentary pieces Or go all in for a 3rd star

This is something that will be talked about leading up to the off season, there might be a handful of potential 3rd star pieces on the move such as CJ McCollum or Kemba Walker or even Bradley Beal do we use our assets to get 1 of them or do we go after marginal pieces to complement the roster.. it’s gonna be interesting to see what direction the FO decides to go with.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Btw what I mean by complentary pieces is going after players such as Bertans or Otto Porter.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

The front court of Lakers are not as superior as last year, with aging LeBron and improved C of opponents. Jokic, Ayton, Gobert, Embiid...... there are many good bigs in the league. Lakers need a defensive C to play 20-25 minutes against those big men and establish the edge in 4. They also need a legit scorer (THT?) and a few shooters
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject:

People have been mentioning Myles Turner but that’s never gonna happen as long as Kevin Pritchard is with the Pacers, a more realistic option is Mitchell Robinson or even Mason Plumlee to give us good minutes at the C spot.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Off season talk: Get Complentary pieces Or go all in for a 3rd star

Inspector Gadget wrote:
This is something that will be talked about leading up to the off season, there might be a handful of potential 3rd star pieces on the move such as CJ McCollum or Kemba Walker or even Bradley Beal do we use our assets to get 1 of them or do we go after marginal pieces to complement the roster.. it’s gonna be interesting to see what direction the FO decides to go with.

If we could use assets to get a head turning legitimate 3rd star a la Beal you do it. If it's for a mid tiered "star" you go with complementary players. I label Kemba and CJ in that "star" category.
srekal2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Get Dwight, Lonzo or Rozier, and a 3 and D wing.

Keep Gasol, Morris, Caruso, THT

Trade Kuzma and KCP
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject:

3rd star. The post bron build has to start
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Everyone keeps talking about a 3rd star. Let’s be real here. 3rd stars salaries are $30m plus (no one is trading a young star AKA Ja on a team friendly deal).

So what pieces do we have that a team would even be interested in in order to say get a Beal?

THT/Kuz/KCP and pick? Or maybe a S&T of Dennis with a say KCP and a 1st? Does anyone really think they is enough to get Beal?

IE Knicks have cap to sign I believe close a max anyways. So let’s say Beal is available. Would the Wiz rather take on a player like KCP salary or say take back let’s say picks from Knicks, and say Toppin and Quickley? It’s not a hard decision if I am GM. Do people really think the best Beal can draw for Wizards is DS and KCP (with maybe a pick)?

The point being simple. KCP is not moving needled for anyone but he has to be included in basically any trade for a 3rd legitimate star to make salaries match. Then assume you to do a S&T with DS (as I think we all expect Trez to opt out). That is basically only way to get to salary we need to get a 3rd star.

PG brought the Thunder what five firsts plus SAG (which I prefer over DS), Galli and a right to swap picks in a future draft). But all Beal will bring back is DS AND KCP and the 22 pick? Come on guys, reality is we have NO WHERE NEAR the assets needed to even begin talks around bringing back a 3rd star (max type players)

That maybe gets a Kemba because coming off injury or maybe a LaVine (if Bulls don’t view him as a cornerstone piece). But it does not get a Beal. Hell other contenders could put a better package together. Warriors for example could trade Wiggins/Wiseman +pick (Klay, Beal and Curry is nasty). Wiggins as the salary cap match and Wiseman/pick as the real value for Wizards (again FAR SUPERIOR TO ANYTHING Lakers could realistically offer).

And yes if Beal becomes available, Lakers will be outbid in first five minutes.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Off season talk: Get Complentary pieces Or go all in for a 3rd star

Inspector Gadget wrote:

This topic is discussed in the general free agent thread every day, including by you.

No reason it needs to be its own thread.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Off season talk: Get Complentary pieces Or go all in for a 3rd star

Honestly I think we need to SnT Schroder and Harrell.

Schroder for Lowry I’d be all in for.
Then trade Harrell for solid bench players. I think Maxi Kleber and Trey Burke would be solid pieces and fit well. Harrell in Dallas also makes sense as he brings toughness and I see another 6th man award there.

Then we need to go back to adding rim protecting athletic bigs. Trade Kuzma and McKinnie for Mason Plumlee and a filler like McGruger. Plumlee is an ideal C next to Davis. Very similar to McGee but better.

Free agents I like are TJ McConnell he’s an excellent leader. Him and Lowry is high IQ tough leadership who are consistent. McConnell has that Fisher like presence. I’m not sure but if we have MLE we can use around 6-7m for him and the rest on another guy like Forbes or Ariza.
Then bring Dwight back !!! Period.
Let’s add a shooter like Bryn Forbes, dude can ball and he showed it with the Bucks and had a few 20point games vs the Heat. He’s a SHOOTER!!
Then a guy like Ariza who we love, he’s more versatile than Matthews and I’m sure can be had for a vet contract.

Lowry - McConnell - Burke
KCP - Caruso - Forbes - McGruger
Le6ron - THT - Ariza
Davis - Kleber
Plumlee - Dwight - Gasol

This is a high IQ unselfish squad... no one playing for contracts and a group that wants to win!! We have our athletic bigs, we add a stretch 4, leaders in Lowry and McConnell, a shooter in Forbes and kind of Ariza but Ariza is more so he can play small lineups and match up with a guy like Leonard, Durant etc...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Off season talk: Get Complentary pieces Or go all in for a 3rd star

a2j1m wrote:

Then trade Harrell for solid bench players. I think Maxi Kleber and Trey Burke would be solid pieces and fit well. Harrell in Dallas also makes sense as he brings toughness and I see another 6th man award there.

Then we need to go back to adding rim protecting athletic bigs. Trade Kuzma and McKinnie for Mason Plumlee and a filler like McGruger. Plumlee is an ideal C next to Davis. Very similar to McGee but better.

Free agents I like are TJ McConnell he’s an excellent leader. Him and Lowry is high IQ tough leadership who are consistent. McConnell has that Fisher like presence. I’m not sure but if we have MLE we can use around 6-7m for him and the rest on another guy like Forbes or Ariza.
Let’s add a shooter like Bryn Forbes, dude can ball and he showed it with the Bucks and had a few 20point games vs the Heat. He’s a SHOOTER!!
Then a guy like Ariza who we love, he’s more versatile than Matthews and I’m sure can be had for a vet contract.

Le6ron - THT - Ariza
Davis - Kleber
Plumlee - Dwight - Gasol

This is a high IQ unselfish squad... no one playing for contracts and a group that wants to win!! We have our athletic bigs, we add a stretch 4, leaders in Lowry and McConnell, a shooter in Forbes and kind of Ariza but Ariza is more so he can play small lineups and match up with a guy like Leonard, Durant etc...

No way Toronto would want Schroeder and his trash contract.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Off season talk: Get Complentary pieces Or go all in for a 3rd star

CandyCanes wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

Le6ron - THT - Ariza
Davis - Kleber
Plumlee - Dwight - Gasol

No way Toronto would want Schroeder and his trash contract.

Not just that but why would Trez opt-in to be traded to Dallas? Who would then have to give up pieces to get him? Who have the non-tax payer MLE correct and they could just offer him without giving up pieces? How does that make sense for them? Why make your team weaker with a trade for player when you can just sign him? And then use other pieces to make trades for a player you can’t sign?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject:

Jimmy Butler would've been great. Damn you, Kawhi.

Go get Terry Rozier.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

No brainer answer.

3rd star.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

Has the be the 3rd star. BKN is a good example even if one guy goes down you can be a top tier team 1....a guy who can consistently dominate is going to provide more win value than a bunch of decent complimentry players who get hot incosistently...injuries aside we saw that this year....we were dying for someone to make buckets, wide open buckets....but our role players couldn't hit the ocean....morris, kcp, ac, etc etc it was brutal....a third actual star while having "off nights" isn't likely to have stretch of 7 + concecutive games where they are off in big games...otherwsie they wouldn't be stars
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

people who say DS is trash are crazy. Did really well for us this year. GM's will see that. his defense was solid, his O was off but bron/ad being out, plus different line ups when he was leading. IMO he will be a valuable piece. Hopefully we can s&t him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Off season talk: Get Complentary pieces Or go all in for a 3rd star

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

This topic is discussed in the general free agent thread every day, including by you.

This kind of discussion deserves its own topic because it’s a Important discussion unless you don’t care that this is one of the most crucial up coming Lakers off season in the Lakers history.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Off season talk: Get Complentary pieces Or go all in for a 3rd star

Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

This kind of discussion deserves its own topic because it’s a Important discussion unless you don’t care that this is one of the most crucial up coming Lakers off season in the Lakers history.

My point is it's a discussion that is already going on in the general free agent thread everyday.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Off season talk: Get Complentary pieces Or go all in for a 3rd star

Inspector Gadget wrote:

This kind of discussion deserves its own topic because

You need attention.

Quote:
it’s a Important discussion unless you don’t care that this is one of the most crucial up coming Lakers off season in the Lakers history.

How is it one of the most crucial off seasons in Lakers history? Any off-season they are in contention is important to remain in contention. Any off-season they're a lottery team is important to get out of the bottom of the NBA pack. There is no need to make this off-season any more dramatic.

What if they strike out completely? It will suck. Then they will just build again the next season. The world will go on and so will the Lakers.

Let's review: 1950s, Lakers in the Finals. 1960s, Lakers in the Finals. 1970s, Lakers in the Finals. 1980s, Lakers in the Finals. 1990s, Lakers in the Finals. 2000s, Lakers in the Finals. 2010s, Lakers in the Finals. 2020s, Lakers in the Finals. See a pattern here? Even if they don't sniff the Finals again for 10 years, I'm pretty certain they'll be back by 2030. I'm not worried. It's just another off-season, with it's own idiosyncratic cap limitations, roster holes, available players.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

It’s Important in a sense that LeBron is gonna be 37 in December and we need another legit scorer to give LeBron the extra rest/load management.. thus why I said if we should pursue 2nd tier players or a 3rd option.. it’s definitely a critical Lakers off season in its history especially with the rise of the Nets and Suns.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
No brainer answer.

3rd star.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

BLF2145 wrote:
Everyone keeps talking about a 3rd star. Let’s be real here. 3rd stars salaries are $30m plus (no one is trading a young star AKA Ja on a team friendly deal).

So what pieces do we have that a team would even be interested in in order to say get a Beal?

THT/Kuz/KCP and pick? Or maybe a S&T of Dennis with a say KCP and a 1st? Does anyone really think they is enough to get Beal?

IE Knicks have cap to sign I believe close a max anyways. So let’s say Beal is available. Would the Wiz rather take on a player like KCP salary or say take back let’s say picks from Knicks, and say Toppin and Quickley? It’s not a hard decision if I am GM. Do people really think the best Beal can draw for Wizards is DS and KCP (with maybe a pick)?

The point being simple. KCP is not moving needled for anyone but he has to be included in basically any trade for a 3rd legitimate star to make salaries match. Then assume you to do a S&T with DS (as I think we all expect Trez to opt out). That is basically only way to get to salary we need to get a 3rd star.

PG brought the Thunder what five firsts plus SAG (which I prefer over DS), Galli and a right to swap picks in a future draft). But all Beal will bring back is DS AND KCP and the 22 pick? Come on guys, reality is we have NO WHERE NEAR the assets needed to even begin talks around bringing back a 3rd star (max type players)

That maybe gets a Kemba because coming off injury or maybe a LaVine (if Bulls don’t view him as a cornerstone piece). But it does not get a Beal. Hell other contenders could put a better package together. Warriors for example could trade Wiggins/Wiseman +pick (Klay, Beal and Curry is nasty). Wiggins as the salary cap match and Wiseman/pick as the real value for Wizards (again FAR SUPERIOR TO ANYTHING Lakers could realistically offer).

And yes if Beal becomes available, Lakers will be outbid in first five minutes.

This is a pretty good take. 3rd star is the goal, but our chips aren't enough for a true one. We need extenuating circumstances.

1. Take advantage of a team's situation, normally small market teams. Two scenarios with them:

A. The team that is worried they'll lose an expiring contract in a year. Think Rozier. This goes if they won't have room (our DS scenario) or if they do have it. If they aren't a good FA destination then they're still hindered on replacing the player well.

B. If they have an overpaid star they'd prefer to have off the books yet still want to compete...LA's package has increased value. We don't have the expiring contracts so it would have to be a 3 way deal to a team that values our pieces. Speaking of which....

2. We have two plug and play two way championship experienced vets in KCP and Kuz. The right team (Sacto?) may think they can get the 18ppg again out of Kuz. If those two are seen more as salary match than rotational depth then the Lakers can't compete in a trade package. DS IMO hits FA and will be a hard match. You'll have to get a team without room but desperate for a PG to maneuver for him.

3. Multiple "stars" force a trade. Beal can vow to not report and LA still doesn't have enough for a discounted package. You'd ideally need a few of these dominos like Beal trade to GS, LaVine to the Knicks for example to get some of the bigger trade packages cashed in. Then teams with Rozier or Hield types would have to make up their minds knowing packages better than what LA has aren't happening.

4. Is THT even in play? Would a team trade for him now knowing someone could (but likely won't) throw him Tyler Johnson back end money? Even if a team values him to pay him, LA may not get what they think he is worth...keeping him back like they did to Toronto. I think that because of the timing, it's more likely he stays an asset until he gets the offer and LA matches.

So when you look at what they do have, you need a team with a talented player that isn't a long term fit. I'm thinking more and more it needs to be a 3 way deal with someone getting the 1st (and THT if he is dealt) and expiring deals, with KCP, Kuz and/or DS to a team trying to compete for something.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Get me CP3 ... don't care what it takes
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Hield or Rozier may be ideal, either are attainable with LA's limited assets. I think Rozier could play in the same backcourt with DS, but protects you if DS walks.

Hield isn't a star but fits the biggest need of high volume scorer. He is young and his 18.5M deal after LBJ still allows them to have a max slot. Again Luke may value Kuz more than other teams too. He has coached KCP as well and needs a defensive upgrade in general and gets that with both.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Kemba Walker is not a 3rd star.

With that said, you for sure go all in for a legit 3rd all star like Beal or CJ. If you can land a 3rd, guys will be lining up around the corner for minimum deals for a chance at a title.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: