OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6076, 6077, 6078 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

Lowry will reunite with Leonard and Ibaka. He’s what they need
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
The only move WITH hindsight that I wish we made instead, was a CP3 trade. Lowry would not have done anything for us with an injured AD and Lebron at the trade deadline.

With the CP3 trade, I’m guessing the deal would have been KCP, Kuzma, McGee, and Danny Green + our draft pick that offseason for him? Yeah I definitely wish we made that deal now lol.

Only if KCP agrees to sign and trade. In retrospect, not sure about that because he also cockblocked when we were trying to ship him (Actually glad he did that). I was adamant about that trade because of CP3 annual playoff injury. Now I realized I was wrong . Because now, the prospect of trying to lure Schroder to resign him and cater to his demands and overpay just to keep him for asset management is just undesirable.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Megaton wrote:
The only move WITH hindsight that I wish we made instead, was a CP3 trade. Lowry would not have done anything for us with an injured AD and Lebron at the trade deadline.

With the CP3 trade, I’m guessing the deal would have been KCP, Kuzma, McGee, and Danny Green + our draft pick that offseason for him? Yeah I definitely wish we made that deal now lol.

Only if KCP agrees to sign and trade. In retrospect, not sure about that because he also cockblocked when we were trying to ship him (Actually glad he did that). I was adamant about that trade because of CP3 annual playoff injury. Now I realized I was wrong . Because now, the prospect of trying to lure Schroder to resign him and cater to his demands and overpay just to keep him for asset management is just undesirable.

That's where the hiccup is. It's a Klutch connection decision.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Hence my post including WITH hindsight.

I’m sure with the Klutch connection, Lebron would have made KCP agree to a sign and trade.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject:

Schroder and Harrell made the Lakers smaller and easier to play against.

That's the problem with those two players. They both certainly have talent (not my type of players), but they are losing basketball players. The Lakers traded winners for guys who don't win.

That's the issue.

The Lakers need to get shooters who can defend and are tough to play against... not an easy task, but it can be done.

I don't think KCP gets traded. He's proven that he can show up when the games get tougher. Anyone else is up for grabs besides the two superstars.

Harrell is gone. Schroder is most likely gone, unless he agrees to a team friendly contract.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

It's a interesting question of whether OKC would have taken that deal over Phoenix's offer.

It would depend on their perception of Kuz and their perception of Green, KCP, and McGee's trade value, since they would have wanted to trade them for young players and picks.

Ultimately, after all the manuevering, the trade netted OKC Ty Jerome, Aleksej Pokusevski, 2 first round picks, four second round picks and a trade exception.

The trade worked out OK for OKC. They ended up with a roster of young cheap players, a bunch of picks, and they have $60 million in cap space next year (plus Horford to trade).
bkt4208
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

The thing with Lowry is all about whether Toronto is ready to move on from him. I think they are as they have been gradually moving to a Van-Fleet direction in that backcourt.

That means it will be where Kyle wants to go, and who would be interested.

If the 76ers lose to the Nets, and it continues to be because of the lack of scoring from Simmons; would they be interested like they were at the deadline?

Would the Heat (who would have the cap space) put all of their eggs in that basket as they too were reportedly in the mix at the deadline?

Lowry has made it clear he wants to get paid one last time. Having just turned 35, missing two dozen or so games and not making the playoffs for the first time in 7 years, he might want to try and get that payday (my guess is he is looking for 2/50 or 3/60- wanting 50 million guaranteed) as well as be in the championship hunt.

Who else would be interested? Boston? Don't think they can make it happen even if they find a taker for Walker.

Not sure how interested the Raptors would be in Schroder, but my guess is it would be among the better players they could get in a S&T.

As rare as double S&T's are this seems as though it fits. Toronto would want to get something for him and they need a PG, as Van Fleet is better playing off. Would that backcourt work?

If Lowry pushes wanting to come here (with us willing to give him that money to line up with LeBron's two years remaining) then I could certainly see it happening.

One thing for certain, it makes much more sense than most of the outlandish predictions on this board....
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

bkt4208 wrote:
The thing with Lowry is all about whether Toronto is ready to move on from him. I think they are as they have been gradually moving to a Van-Fleet direction in that backcourt.

If the 76ers lose to the Nets, and it continues to be because of the lack of scoring from Simmons; would they be interested like they were at the deadline?

Would the Heat (who would have the cap space) put all of their eggs in that basket as they too were reportedly in the mix at the deadline?

Lowry has made it clear he wants to get paid one last time. Having just turned 35, missing two dozen or so games and not making the playoffs for the first time in 7 years, he might want to try and get that payday (my guess is he is looking for 2/50 or 3/60- wanting 50 million guaranteed) as well as be in the championship hunt.

Who else would be interested? Boston? Don't think they can make it happen even if they find a taker for Walker.

Not sure how interested the Raptors would be in Schroder, but my guess is it would be among the better players they could get in a S&T.

As rare as double S&T's are this seems as though it fits. Toronto would want to get something for him and they need a PG, as Van Fleet is better playing off. Would that backcourt work?

If Lowry pushes wanting to come here (with us willing to give him that money to line up with LeBron's two years remaining) then I could certainly see it happening.

One thing for certain, it makes much more sense than most of the outlandish predictions on this board....

Toronto turned down Schroder for Lowry midseason. They would have had Schroder's bird rights.

Why would they trade for him now?

They won't.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Megaton wrote:

It's a interesting question of whether OKC would have taken that deal over Phoenix's offer.

It would depend on their perception of Kuz and their perception of Green, KCP, and McGee's trade value, since they would have wanted to trade them for young players and picks.

Ultimately, after all the manuevering, the trade netted OKC Ty Jerome, Aleksej Pokusevski, 2 first round picks, four second round picks and a trade exception.

The trade worked out OK for OKC. They ended up with a roster of young cheap players, a bunch of picks, and they have $60 million in cap space next year (plus Horford to trade).

I think even without bias, they would have taken our offer. OKC would have had Kuz and KCP, as well as still Danny Green as tradeable assets to acquire even MORE picks.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
I'm guessing if you put healthy AD/LBJ on any playoff team instead of their two best players they would have a better chance of winning than with our role players.

So I think just saying if we wait until those two are healthy is a lazy solution.

Healthy AD masks mediocre defensive teams... healthy LBJ masks mediocre offensive teams.

Just because they were able to win with this group when healthy... doesn't mean the group was the optimal one you could get.

I don't think the Lakers are waiting on AD and Lebron's health.

They just thought THT has too much upside to include in the Lowry trade. I don't see that as a right or wrong call; it's just a choice.

Other than that, I don't see that the Lakers passed up any opportunities to improve the team because Lebron and AD weren't healthy. People certainly debate their decisions; but I don't think their intent is in question.

I was fine with their decision assuming they have properly identified THT's potential. This is why I've said over and over that I'm happy letting Schroder go if he demands an amount where he becomes no longer tradeable. I would just sign a competent veteran guard and let THT start next year.

What I don't understand is decimating the team for LBJ's window... and then suddenly stopping at THT. I mean you've already gotten rid of everyone... many who have become good NBA players... and THT becomes the line in the sand? This makes no sense unless you really think he's the one... the next star... so then why not play him? (I'm really hoping this is purely a talent choice and not a preserve a Klutch client decision.)

My comment was mainly in reference to those who think we will win by keeping Schroder and rolling with AD/LBJ/Schroder as the core of the team.

I think that team is a playoff team... it certainly is less risky than signing someone like Kemba... but holding serve with an aging LBJ is unlikely to get you anywhere. I think we need to try something radical and I think some are putting too much value on what this group accomplished at the start of the year.

If you put healthy LBJ/AD with Finney Smith/Hardaway Jr/Kleber and company for example... or Porter Jr/Gordon/Rivers... Nunn/Dragic/Robinson... almost any playoff team it seems like they'd do better than our role players.

So standing pat with our group doesn't make sense to me. We need to try something different... even if it's as simple as starting THT
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Lowry doesn't fix what happened this season. But he addresses team needs going forward.

Does he? I don't know. I understand that in theory he checks a box, but in reality he just turned 35 and appears to be in decline. I can see why he would have helped us this season, if Lebron and Davis had been healthy. I'm not so sure that he would have provided much of anything going forward.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
What I don't understand is decimating the team for LBJ's window... and then suddenly stopping at THT. I mean you've already gotten rid of everyone... many who have become good NBA players... and THT becomes the line in the sand?

Thanks. That thought has been percolating in my head for some time, but I've never managed to articulate it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject:

Kuzma + McKinnie (salary matching) for Ricky Rubio...? S&T DS to the Bulls for Thad Young and Troy Brown, Jr...?

Rubio/Patty Mills (mini-MLE?)
KCP/Caruso/THT
LeBron/???/Troy Brown
AD/Thad Young/???
???
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Lowry doesn't fix what happened this season. But he addresses team needs going forward.

Does he? I don't know. I understand that in theory he checks a box, but in reality he just turned 35 and appears to be in decline. I can see why he would have helped us this season, if Lebron and Davis had been healthy. I'm not so sure that he would have provided much of anything going forward.

No one paid much attention, but the league effectively punted Toronto's season before it even began. It's hard to parse Lowry's dip from that context.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
but in reality he just turned 35 and appears to be in decline. I can see why he would have helped us this season, if Lebron and Davis had been healthy. I'm not so sure that he would have provided much of anything going forward.

He would organize the offense in the way that LAL sorely needed with LBJ on and off the floor.

This feels like a similar argument last year with entertaining the idea of CP3. CP3s skills are a ton louder.

Lowry, otoh, is a lower USG PG, but at least plays smart, gets guys their shots in rhythm, and is a 2 way player.

People are freaking out about their decline, yet, they don't rely on their athleticism *that* much to make themselves positive players on the floor. This wasn't looked at clearly with CP3, even when I thought it was obvious. It's the same with Lowry.

He's hasn't really been a rim threat for about 8 years. But you bet LAL could have used his finishing ability, and basically being 40% from 3' to the 3pt line. That's high end/elite level shooting from all distances on the floor as a combination.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject:

Unlike Cp3, Lowry is one year younger and a new S&t deal (min 3 yrs in length) won’t trigger the over-38 rule. So that restriction won’t potentially road block us this offseason. But like Yinoma said earlier, double S&ts are rare and Toronto has enough nonguaranteed salaries on the books where if they wanted Schro, they can go get him via cap space and really don’t need us to facilitate a S&t.

But if they are interested in Kcp, Kuz and/or Trez (dude has to opt in first), then we can get done traction on a S&t for Lowry. Kcp/Kuz aggregated can bring in as much as 32.6m in salary, while any combo of Kcp or Kuz along with Trez can bring back as much as 28.5m in salary. So there is a bit of range to get Lowry here using future picks and a combo of those guys.

I believe activeverb brought up Trez’s early bird rights. The only silver lining Trez has to opting in is to retain those early bird rights and get paid 175% (or about 17m) next summer with his new team (if opt in and traded) along with carrying a no-trade clause thus coming year allowing him to stick with the team he chooses to move to. However, like I mentioned before, Toronto can open up as much as 40m in cap space this summer, so if they want Trez and Trez wants a higher number, they can accomplish that without him opting in and being traded.

So a trade with Toronto is a mixed bag, but there are reports Toronto is looking to upgrade their frontline (primarily targeting Holmes) and it looks like the Lakers are ready to set the Kuz luuze.

https://mobile.twitter.com/massey_evan/status/1403365801470705671
https://mobile.twitter.com/massey_evan/status/1403145320075247616

Btw, I don’t know how credible this Massey fella is. So rumor binge accordingly.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
but in reality he just turned 35 and appears to be in decline. I can see why he would have helped us this season, if Lebron and Davis had been healthy. I'm not so sure that he would have provided much of anything going forward.

He would organize the offense in the way that LAL sorely needed with LBJ on and off the floor.

This feels like a similar argument last year with entertaining the idea of CP3. CP3s skills are a ton louder.

Lowry, otoh, is a lower USG PG, but at least plays smart, gets guys their shots in rhythm, and is a 2 way player.

People are freaking out about their decline, yet, they don't rely on their athleticism *that* much to make themselves positive players on the floor. This wasn't looked at clearly with CP3, even when I thought it was obvious. It's the same with Lowry.

And the above the break 3s!!!
bkt4208
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
bkt4208 wrote:

Toronto turned down Schroder for Lowry midseason. They would have had Schroder's bird rights.

They won't.

I already answered that (read slower maybe)?

It was a different situation then. It was shocking to most on why the Raptors didn't trade him at the deadline. Most agreed it was foolish. Now they are not in the same boat to demand such a return, especially if Lowry pushes for the deal to be a certain team. And again, I ask what teams would he push for?

They are going to want something for him, and if the Lakers are one of the few teams that are willing to give him 50 guaranteed (and would most certainly need a DS trade to match) then it is doable.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
What I don't understand is decimating the team for LBJ's window... and then suddenly stopping at THT. I mean you've already gotten rid of everyone... many who have become good NBA players... and THT becomes the line in the sand?

Thanks. That thought has been percolating in my head for some time, but I've never managed to articulate it.

I'm glad someone else is mystified too.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

bkt4208 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
bkt4208 wrote:

They won't.

It was a different situation then. It was shocking to most on why the Raptors didn't trade him at the deadline. Most agreed it was foolish. Now they are not in the same boat to demand such a return, especially if Lowry pushes for the deal to be a certain team. And again, I ask what teams would he push for?

They are going to want something for him, and if the Lakers are one of the few teams that are willing to give him 50 guaranteed (and would most certainly need a DS trade to match) then it is doable.

If Lowry didn't want to come here at the deadline... why would he want to come here now?

Toronto would have accommodated him at the deadline if he pushed them to trade him to LA. Toronto is a first class organization who takes care of their players.

I think Lowry wanted to go to his preferred destination at the deadline... or go nowhere at all and hit FA.
bkt4208
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
bkt4208 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
bkt4208 wrote:

They won't.

If Lowry didn't want to come here at the deadline... why would he want to come here now?

Toronto would have accommodated him at the deadline if he pushed them to trade him to LA. Toronto is a first class organization who takes care of their players.

I think Lowry wanted to go to his preferred destination at the deadline... or go nowhere at all and hit FA.

I answered that one as well (and so has he recently), which is wanting that last PAYDAY as well as being on a contender.

That is a short list of teams who fit that description as well as who will have that cap space (or be willing to match in S&T). Especially for someone who just turned 35 and is on his last hoorah.

The Lakers are clearly one of those teams
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

bkt4208 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
bkt4208 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
bkt4208 wrote:

They won't.

I answered that one as well (and so has he recently), which is wanting that last PAYDAY as well as being on a contender.

That is a short list of teams who fit that description as well as who will have that cap space (or be willing to match in S&T). Especially for someone who just turned 35 and is on his last hoorah.

If all you're saying is the circumstances as you describe are indeed possible... but unlikely, then yes, I agree with you.

I would also take Lowry on this team in a second.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I'm glad someone else is mystified too.

I think that's explained by the change in regime/front-office-philosophy.
(Yes I agree it's inconsistent)
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I look at Caruso as a starter (defensive point guard) and THT as a sixth man (scorer and playmaker). We don’t want Caruso bringing the ball up the floor, that’s Lebron’s job, just defend the position, can even switch with KCP, and hit open shots. He needs to improve as a shooter, he has a full off-season, but I think he can fill that role.

Cost to keep both is likely less than $10 million, but it depends on the free agent market; e.g. more bigger names, less money available
bkt4208
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
bkt4208 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
bkt4208 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
bkt4208 wrote:

They won't.

If all you're saying is the circumstances as you describe are indeed possible... but unlikely, then yes, I agree with you.

I would also take Lowry on this team in a second.

Yes, unlikely for several reasons- including the rarity of a double sign and trade (mentioned) and the fact that Schroder would have to sign off on it as well (not sure how he feels about going to TOR, but my guess is if he is getting 20 million he will be ok with it).

Even with the unlikelihood of it happening it still ranks MUCH HIGHER than the insane predictions of being able to get some of the other guys being mentioned (CP3, Dame, Westbrook, etc)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6076, 6077, 6078 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 6077 of 8560
Jump to: