Next 4 years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 31158

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

It's a narrative because it's painted as that's the only reason we lost. It was a reason we lost, not the only. Y'all dismiss the fact that we had holes in this year's team and it was idiotic for Rob to break up a championship squad after winning their 1st title; that had less holes, more chemistry, and defined roles. To combat that and excuse the huge mistake that Rob made, that he should be accountable for, y'all go into hypothetical theories that if Bron and AD would have been injured with the team that won the championship, they wouldn't have won. Without taking into account, what if they didn't get injured? We know they got injured this year, so there is no "what if." There's a "what if" with the championship winning squad. Also, Injuries does not exclude the holes in the team or the mistake that Rob made, but y'all will keep the injury narrative going, at all cost.


To me, it's pretty simple:

1. The injuries to Lebron and AD knocked us out of the running.

2. If AD and Lebron hadn't gotten injured, it's anyone's guess if we would won another ring or lost early in the playoffs.

In my view, point #1 is a fact; point #2 is a question/conjecture/opinion. Point #1 makes point #2 moot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 4134

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

It's a narrative because it's painted as that's the only reason we lost. It was a reason we lost, not the only. Y'all dismiss the fact that we had holes in this year's team and it was idiotic for Rob to break up a championship squad after winning their 1st title; that had less holes, more chemistry, and defined roles. To combat that and excuse the huge mistake that Rob made, that he should be accountable for, y'all go into hypothetical theories that if Bron and AD would have been injured with the team that won the championship, they wouldn't have won. Without taking into account, what if they didn't get injured? We know they got injured this year, so there is no "what if." There's a "what if" with the championship winning squad. Also, Injuries does not exclude the holes in the team or the mistake that Rob made, but y'all will keep the injury narrative going, at all cost.


To me, it's pretty simple:

1. The injuries to Lebron and AD knocked us out of the running.

2. If AD and Lebron hadn't gotten injured, it's anyone's guess if we would won another ring or lost early in the playoffs.

In my view, point #1 is a fact; point #2 is a question/conjecture/opinion. Point #1 makes point #2 moot.


Overall, to me it's pretty simple as well. If Rob wouldn't have broke up a championship after winning their 1st championship, we might have repeated and potentially not having this conversation now. Breaking up a championship squad is the dumbest thing since Lloyd met Harry (dumb and dumber). No genius, smart, or even mediocre GM would do that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 31158

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

It's a narrative because it's painted as that's the only reason we lost. It was a reason we lost, not the only. Y'all dismiss the fact that we had holes in this year's team and it was idiotic for Rob to break up a championship squad after winning their 1st title; that had less holes, more chemistry, and defined roles. To combat that and excuse the huge mistake that Rob made, that he should be accountable for, y'all go into hypothetical theories that if Bron and AD would have been injured with the team that won the championship, they wouldn't have won. Without taking into account, what if they didn't get injured? We know they got injured this year, so there is no "what if." There's a "what if" with the championship winning squad. Also, Injuries does not exclude the holes in the team or the mistake that Rob made, but y'all will keep the injury narrative going, at all cost.


To me, it's pretty simple:

1. The injuries to Lebron and AD knocked us out of the running.

2. If AD and Lebron hadn't gotten injured, it's anyone's guess if we would won another ring or lost early in the playoffs.

In my view, point #1 is a fact; point #2 is a question/conjecture/opinion. Point #1 makes point #2 moot.


Overall, to me it's pretty simple as well. If Rob wouldn't have broke up a championship after winning their 1st championship, we might have repeated and potentially not having this conversation now. Breaking up a championship squad is the dumbest thing since Lloyd met Harry (dumb and dumber). No genius, smart, or even mediocre GM would do that.


1. If you are saying that last year's squad would have won this year even with the injuries to AD and Lebron, I disagree. Just can't see that happening.

2. Perhaps you are saying that had AD and Lebron not gotten injured, they would have had a better chance of winning if they had kept the previous team intact. I have no idea whether or not that is true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 3084

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

The narrative by some is that injuries derailed the Lakers ability to repeat.
That is a flawed.

A more accurate assessment is that both injuries and poor play, with the majority reason being poor play, led to our early demise.

Injuries prevented AD and Lebron from effectively covering up for the role players' poor play. Last season, Lakers relied on Lebron, AD and whoever was hot. That's just another way of saying the Lakers couldn't rely on their role players collectively, but as long as at least one of them played decently, AD and Lebron would cover. But that didn't repair the culpability of poor role player effort; it just masked it.

This playoffs, with AD being out a couple of games, that BS approach didn't work. And even if AD was healthy (like he was in the game 1 loss), it still wasn't likely to work. The games we won, we barely won. It's not like we were dominating the Suns. We barely won with CP3 not even being healthy or playing his full allotment of minutes.

My concern is that too many people are sticking to injuries-killed-us thinking and ignoring the flaws in the team. which could doom us, again, next season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 31158

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
The narrative by some is that injuries derailed the Lakers ability to repeat.
That is a flawed.

A more accurate assessment is that both injuries and poor play, with the majority reason being poor play, led to our early demise.

Injuries prevented AD and Lebron from effectively covering up for the role players' poor play. Last season, Lakers relied on Lebron, AD and whoever was hot. That's just another way of saying the Lakers couldn't rely on their role players collectively, but as long as at least one of them played decently, AD and Lebron would cover. But that didn't repair the culpability of poor role player effort; it just masked it.

This playoffs, with AD being out a couple of games, that BS approach didn't work. And even if AD was healthy (like he was in the game 1 loss), it still wasn't likely to work. The games we won, we barely won. It's not like we were dominating the Suns. We barely won with CP3 not even being healthy or playing his full allotment of minutes.

My concern is that too many people are sticking to injuries-killed-us thinking and ignoring the flaws in the team. which could doom us, again, next season.


I definitely agree that AD and Lebron cover up a lot of flaws.

That was true this year when they were healthy. And it was true last year.

We weren't as dominant to start this season.

Before AD got hurt, we were 21-6 vs. 24-3 the previous year.

3 of those wins were by 3 points or less.

3 wins were in overtime,

10 wins were by 10 or more.

Now, right before AD went down we had three OT wins in a row. Maybe that's what you mean by barely winning.

Overall, I can't really criticize the start. It's hard to judge apples to apples based on only 27 games. We don't know if some problems were a result of championship hangover that would have been corrected over time if the injuries hadn't occurred.

That's the problem with this whole debate. It's all based on conjecture and guesses.

Anyway, I think the beliefs of the people on all sides are pretty clear. It just comes down to which opinion you choose to believe, rather than one side having a ton of evidence to support their belief.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 4134

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
The narrative by some is that injuries derailed the Lakers ability to repeat.
That is a flawed.

A more accurate assessment is that both injuries and poor play, with the majority reason being poor play, led to our early demise.

Injuries prevented AD and Lebron from effectively covering up for the role players' poor play. Last season, Lakers relied on Lebron, AD and whoever was hot. That's just another way of saying the Lakers couldn't rely on their role players collectively, but as long as at least one of them played decently, AD and Lebron would cover. But that didn't repair the culpability of poor role player effort; it just masked it.

This playoffs, with AD being out a couple of games, that BS approach didn't work. And even if AD was healthy (like he was in the game 1 loss), it still wasn't likely to work. The games we won, we barely won. It's not like we were dominating the Suns. We barely won with CP3 not even being healthy or playing his full allotment of minutes.

My concern is that too many people are sticking to injuries-killed-us thinking and ignoring the flaws in the team. which could doom us, again, next season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 4134

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

It's a narrative because it's painted as that's the only reason we lost. It was a reason we lost, not the only. Y'all dismiss the fact that we had holes in this year's team and it was idiotic for Rob to break up a championship squad after winning their 1st title; that had less holes, more chemistry, and defined roles. To combat that and excuse the huge mistake that Rob made, that he should be accountable for, y'all go into hypothetical theories that if Bron and AD would have been injured with the team that won the championship, they wouldn't have won. Without taking into account, what if they didn't get injured? We know they got injured this year, so there is no "what if." There's a "what if" with the championship winning squad. Also, Injuries does not exclude the holes in the team or the mistake that Rob made, but y'all will keep the injury narrative going, at all cost.


To me, it's pretty simple:

1. The injuries to Lebron and AD knocked us out of the running.

2. If AD and Lebron hadn't gotten injured, it's anyone's guess if we would won another ring or lost early in the playoffs.

In my view, point #1 is a fact; point #2 is a question/conjecture/opinion. Point #1 makes point #2 moot.


Overall, to me it's pretty simple as well. If Rob wouldn't have broke up a championship after winning their 1st championship, we might have repeated and potentially not having this conversation now. Breaking up a championship squad is the dumbest thing since Lloyd met Harry (dumb and dumber). No genius, smart, or even mediocre GM would do that.


1. If you are saying that last year's squad would have won this year even with the injuries to AD and Lebron, I disagree. Just can't see that happening.

2. Perhaps you are saying that had AD and Lebron not gotten injured, they would have had a better chance of winning if they had kept the previous team intact. I have no idea whether or not that is true.


You're making the assumption that they'll get injured, I'm not because that didn't happen with the championship team. I'm not gonna carry this season, on to the season we won it all. That season got broken up by Rob's Idiocracy. This season, they had to do way more to mask the holes and deficiency we had. So they were severely overworked vs last year when we had less holes, more chemistry, and defined roles. So I wouldn't apply what happened this season, to our championship season. I'm saying Rob made a huge mistake breaking up our championship squad, after winning their 1st title; which to me was the major hindrance to us repeating. Some say the injuries, I feel we were going home in the 1st round anyways because suns had a better team, more chemistry, and defined roles. They were continuing their momentum from the bubble, being they didn't lose a game and just missed the playoffs. They added Jae and CP3 to that team, that only made the team better. I'm saying the suns GM was smart not to break up that team, unlike ours who blew a championship squad up after their 1st title. Making it harder for us to repeat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 31158

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:


You're making the assumption that they'll get injured, I'm not because that didn't happen with the championship team.


So I guess your theory is if we had retained last year's supporting cast, Lebron and AD wouldn't have gotten hurt?

I don't connect the dots on that one myself. I guess it's theoretically possible, but it goes so far into pure conjecture I can't do much more than shrug.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 112438

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:


You're making the assumption that they'll get injured, I'm not because that didn't happen with the championship team.


So I guess your theory is if we had retained last year's supporting cast, Lebron and AD wouldn't have gotten hurt?

I don't connect the dots on that one myself. I guess it's theoretically possible, but it goes so far into pure conjecture I can't do much more than shrug.


AV, he's making some sort of metaphysical argument.
_________________
Never underestimate the heart of a champion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 112438

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

It's a narrative because it's painted as that's the only reason we lost. It was a reason we lost, not the only. Y'all dismiss the fact that we had holes in this year's team and it was idiotic for Rob to break up a championship squad after winning their 1st title; that had less holes, more chemistry, and defined roles. To combat that and excuse the huge mistake that Rob made, that he should be accountable for, y'all go into hypothetical theories that if Bron and AD would have been injured with the team that won the championship, they wouldn't have won. Without taking into account, what if they didn't get injured? We know they got injured this year, so there is no "what if." There's a "what if" with the championship winning squad. Also, Injuries does not exclude the holes in the team or the mistake that Rob made, but y'all will keep the injury narrative going, at all cost.


To me, it's pretty simple:

1. The injuries to Lebron and AD knocked us out of the running.

2. If AD and Lebron hadn't gotten injured, it's anyone's guess if we would won another ring or lost early in the playoffs.

In my view, point #1 is a fact; point #2 is a question/conjecture/opinion. Point #1 makes point #2 moot.


Overall, to me it's pretty simple as well. If Rob wouldn't have broke up a championship after winning their 1st championship, we might have repeated and potentially not having this conversation now. Breaking up a championship squad is the dumbest thing since Lloyd met Harry (dumb and dumber). No genius, smart, or even mediocre GM would do that.


1. If you are saying that last year's squad would have won this year even with the injuries to AD and Lebron, I disagree. Just can't see that happening.

2. Perhaps you are saying that had AD and Lebron not gotten injured, they would have had a better chance of winning if they had kept the previous team intact. I have no idea whether or not that is true.


You're making the assumption that they'll get injured, I'm not because that didn't happen with the championship team. I'm not gonna carry this season, on to the season we won it all. That season got broken up by Rob's Idiocracy. This season, they had to do way more to mask the holes and deficiency we had. So they were severely overworked vs last year when we had less holes, more chemistry, and defined roles. So I wouldn't apply what happened this season, to our championship season. I'm saying Rob made a huge mistake breaking up our championship squad, after winning their 1st title; which to me was the major hindrance to us repeating. Some say the injuries, I feel we were going home in the 1st round anyways because suns had a better team, more chemistry, and defined roles. They were continuing their momentum from the bubble, being they didn't lose a game and just missed the playoffs. They added Jae and CP3 to that team, that only made the team better. I'm saying the suns GM was smart not to break up that team, unlike ours who blew a championship squad up after their 1st title. Making it harder for us to repeat.


Rondo missed a ton of games this year to injury. So in that stretch, we'd have LBJ/AD/Rondo all out.

Ok. I agree with you that things may not have ended up the same. It is very possible it would have been worse, i.e., not making the playoffs.
_________________
Never underestimate the heart of a champion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 31158

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

It's a narrative because it's painted as that's the only reason we lost. It was a reason we lost, not the only. Y'all dismiss the fact that we had holes in this year's team and it was idiotic for Rob to break up a championship squad after winning their 1st title; that had less holes, more chemistry, and defined roles. To combat that and excuse the huge mistake that Rob made, that he should be accountable for, y'all go into hypothetical theories that if Bron and AD would have been injured with the team that won the championship, they wouldn't have won. Without taking into account, what if they didn't get injured? We know they got injured this year, so there is no "what if." There's a "what if" with the championship winning squad. Also, Injuries does not exclude the holes in the team or the mistake that Rob made, but y'all will keep the injury narrative going, at all cost.


To me, it's pretty simple:

1. The injuries to Lebron and AD knocked us out of the running.

2. If AD and Lebron hadn't gotten injured, it's anyone's guess if we would won another ring or lost early in the playoffs.

In my view, point #1 is a fact; point #2 is a question/conjecture/opinion. Point #1 makes point #2 moot.


Overall, to me it's pretty simple as well. If Rob wouldn't have broke up a championship after winning their 1st championship, we might have repeated and potentially not having this conversation now. Breaking up a championship squad is the dumbest thing since Lloyd met Harry (dumb and dumber). No genius, smart, or even mediocre GM would do that.


1. If you are saying that last year's squad would have won this year even with the injuries to AD and Lebron, I disagree. Just can't see that happening.

2. Perhaps you are saying that had AD and Lebron not gotten injured, they would have had a better chance of winning if they had kept the previous team intact. I have no idea whether or not that is true.


You're making the assumption that they'll get injured, I'm not because that didn't happen with the championship team. I'm not gonna carry this season, on to the season we won it all. That season got broken up by Rob's Idiocracy. This season, they had to do way more to mask the holes and deficiency we had. So they were severely overworked vs last year when we had less holes, more chemistry, and defined roles. So I wouldn't apply what happened this season, to our championship season. I'm saying Rob made a huge mistake breaking up our championship squad, after winning their 1st title; which to me was the major hindrance to us repeating. Some say the injuries, I feel we were going home in the 1st round anyways because suns had a better team, more chemistry, and defined roles. They were continuing their momentum from the bubble, being they didn't lose a game and just missed the playoffs. They added Jae and CP3 to that team, that only made the team better. I'm saying the suns GM was smart not to break up that team, unlike ours who blew a championship squad up after their 1st title. Making it harder for us to repeat.


Rondo missed a ton of games this year to injury. So in that stretch, we'd have LBJ/AD/Rondo all out.

Ok. I agree with you that things may not have ended up the same. It is very possible it would have been worse, i.e., not making the playoffs.


I find your what-if more plausible than his what-if.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 8156
Location: Irvine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Splitting hairs, the main reason for the first round exit were the injuries to lebron and AD. 60% LeBron, Danny Green, Rondo and Dwight don’t get past Phoenix either, although I dont think Phoenix gets past the next round themselves

Lakers just need to get healthy and sort out the center position, Gasol is old and slow, Harrell is not a rim protector and Drummond reminds me of Kwame. Lebron has one or two good years left to get another ring


Yea, we don't know if our championship squad get past the suns given AD's injury or even if AD and Bron gets injured. The bottom line, Rob made a big mistake By dismantling a championship squad and now we are not in a good situation, right now. We will see what we do in the off season, but as of now, I don't have faith in Rob


He didn't dismantle a championship team. The players that matter are still here. The rest are interchangeable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 31158

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Splitting hairs, the main reason for the first round exit were the injuries to lebron and AD. 60% LeBron, Danny Green, Rondo and Dwight don’t get past Phoenix either, although I dont think Phoenix gets past the next round themselves

Lakers just need to get healthy and sort out the center position, Gasol is old and slow, Harrell is not a rim protector and Drummond reminds me of Kwame. Lebron has one or two good years left to get another ring


Yea, we don't know if our championship squad get past the suns given AD's injury or even if AD and Bron gets injured. The bottom line, Rob made a big mistake By dismantling a championship squad and now we are not in a good situation, right now. We will see what we do in the off season, but as of now, I don't have faith in Rob


He didn't dismantle a championship team. The players that matter are still here. The rest are interchangeable.


Yeah, "Dismantle" is a bit melodramatic.

The team this year and last was at its core the same -- Lebron, AD, and everybody else.

The Lakers said significant changes to the everybody else, but the critical components didn't change.

The only championship team that was ever actually "dismantled" was the '98 Bulls.

Jordan retired, they traded Pippen, and waived Rodman. Now, that is what I call dismantling.

We did significant tweaking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 4134

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:


You're making the assumption that they'll get injured, I'm not because that didn't happen with the championship team.


So I guess your theory is if we had retained last year's supporting cast, Lebron and AD wouldn't have gotten hurt?

I don't connect the dots on that one myself. I guess it's theoretically possible, but it goes so far into pure conjecture I can't do much more than shrug.


The theory is we don't know, but it's dumb that we broke up a championship squad. Stop taking a single line out of it's context.


Last edited by Outspoken on Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 4134

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Splitting hairs, the main reason for the first round exit were the injuries to lebron and AD. 60% LeBron, Danny Green, Rondo and Dwight don’t get past Phoenix either, although I dont think Phoenix gets past the next round themselves

Lakers just need to get healthy and sort out the center position, Gasol is old and slow, Harrell is not a rim protector and Drummond reminds me of Kwame. Lebron has one or two good years left to get another ring


Yea, we don't know if our championship squad get past the suns given AD's injury or even if AD and Bron gets injured. The bottom line, Rob made a big mistake By dismantling a championship squad and now we are not in a good situation, right now. We will see what we do in the off season, but as of now, I don't have faith in Rob


He didn't dismantle a championship team. The players that matter are still here. The rest are interchangeable.


We seen that that wasn't the case and yes, you remove 4 potent players from a team to our team is called dismantling. Again, it gave us more holes, less chemistry; more problems. It's dumb as hell to dismantle, break up, crush, get rid of a championship squad after their 1st year. Can someone tell me why no other GM have ever done that? I'm just curious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 112438

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Splitting hairs, the main reason for the first round exit were the injuries to lebron and AD. 60% LeBron, Danny Green, Rondo and Dwight don’t get past Phoenix either, although I dont think Phoenix gets past the next round themselves

Lakers just need to get healthy and sort out the center position, Gasol is old and slow, Harrell is not a rim protector and Drummond reminds me of Kwame. Lebron has one or two good years left to get another ring


Yea, we don't know if our championship squad get past the suns given AD's injury or even if AD and Bron gets injured. The bottom line, Rob made a big mistake By dismantling a championship squad and now we are not in a good situation, right now. We will see what we do in the off season, but as of now, I don't have faith in Rob


He didn't dismantle a championship team. The players that matter are still here. The rest are interchangeable.


We seen that that wasn't the case and yes, you remove 4 potent players from a team to our team is called dismantling. Again, it gave us more holes, less chemistry; more problems. It's dumb as hell to dismantle, break up, crush, get rid of a championship squad after their 1st year. Can someone tell me why no other GM have ever done that? I'm just curious.


Chemistry, yes. I agree about that.

But potent? No. They're all role players who can't independently raise a team outside of having BOTH AD/LBJ healthy. Again, look at how many games Rondo was out this year with injury. When AD/LBJ were out IIRC Rondo was too on ATL.

But if losing with the returning squad makes folks feel better, even if it's the same or worse result, so be it.
_________________
Never underestimate the heart of a champion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 31158

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:


You're making the assumption that they'll get injured, I'm not because that didn't happen with the championship team.


So I guess your theory is if we had retained last year's supporting cast, Lebron and AD wouldn't have gotten hurt?

I don't connect the dots on that one myself. I guess it's theoretically possible, but it goes so far into pure conjecture I can't do much more than shrug.


The theory is we don't know, but it's dumb that we broke up a championship squad. Stop taking a single line out of it's context.


I'm not meaning to take anything out of context. Honestly, it's just hard to string together what you're trying to say because some of your comments tend to be a little melodramatic.

If the bottom line is: You don't think the Lakers should have changed their roster, but it's anyone's guess what would have happened if the roster had remained in tact. I think that's a valid opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 6317

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject:

The next four years…. Depends on your point of view.

Take a pessimistic point of view and it becomes a collapse of the team. Injuries, age and unbalanced rosters with limited resources to fix the issues. A declining James that the Lakers rely on too much to be “ The King” or worse opts out to ring chase. Lakers are then forced to find a perfect pairing with Davis that never happens. Borderline competitive.

Or taking the optimistic point of view, Davis finds his MVP inner self, James ages gracefully in a transitional complimentary role ( think KAJ or Robinson) and the roster additions are athletic, competitive and fit a strategy of stability in supporting a rising Superstar in Davis for several years. Contenders every year.

Going to be which path the Lakers are able to put together. The James plan earned a Championship and finds us at this intersection. The next four years depends on how smart and in all honesty how lucky they get in reworking this roster. Maybe most importantly, the buy-in of the two marquee players.

Going to be fun!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 4134

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

Back to the topic:

What other GM has dismantled a championship squad after it's 1st championship? That was dumb as hell. The next 4 years, we need not to make foolish mistakes like that. I don't trust Rob right now, he's gonna have to prove his self. We will see what he does this off season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 31158

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Back to the topic:

What other GM has dismantled a championship squad after it's 1st championship? That was dumb as hell. The next 4 years, we need not to make foolish mistakes like that. I don't trust Rob right now, he's gonna have to prove his self. We will see what he does this off season.


Leave that poor dead horse alone. He's been beaten enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 112438

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Back to the topic:

What other GM has dismantled a championship squad after it's 1st championship? That was dumb as hell. The next 4 years, we need not to make foolish mistakes like that. I don't trust Rob right now, he's gonna have to prove his self. We will see what he does this off season.


Yay, bring them back so we feel better about not making the playoffs or losing the same way b/c AD is out.
_________________
Never underestimate the heart of a champion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RashardA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Posts: 737
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Yeah, "Dismantle" is a bit melodramatic.

The team this year and last was at its core the same -- Lebron, AD, and everybody else.

The Lakers said significant changes to the everybody else, but the critical components didn't change.

The only championship team that was ever actually "dismantled" was the '98 Bulls.

Jordan retired, they traded Pippen, and waived Rodman. Now, that is what I call dismantling.

We did significant tweaking.


He actually did dismantle a championship team, IMO.

Looking back on the Shaq/Kobe Lakers there was a consistent core that returned year after year durning that 3peat run.

Fox, Fisher, Horry, Bshaw along with Shaq and Kobe.

They added other pieces every year but that CORE, the heart and soul of the team remained the same.

One could argue guys like Dwight, JaVale, Green and Rondo were as significant pieces to last season's chip winning team as Fox, Fisher, Horry and Bshaw were to the 3Peat Lakers.

It just seems many in this fan base along with Rob severely underestimated what those guys brought to that team and their contributions was what made that squad special.

The size, the strength, the defense, the basketball IQ and championship DNA.

It is what it is because there is no going back now.

Time to move on and pray Rob learns from his mistakes.
_________________
Everyting negative - pressure, challenges - is all an opportunity for me to rise.
-Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 4134

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, "Dismantle" is a bit melodramatic.

The team this year and last was at its core the same -- Lebron, AD, and everybody else.

The Lakers said significant changes to the everybody else, but the critical components didn't change.

The only championship team that was ever actually "dismantled" was the '98 Bulls.

Jordan retired, they traded Pippen, and waived Rodman. Now, that is what I call dismantling.

We did significant tweaking.


He actually did dismantle a championship team, IMO.

Looking back on the Shaq/Kobe Lakers there was a consistent core that returned year after year durning that 3peat run.

Fox, Fisher, Horry, Bshaw along with Shaq and Kobe.

They added other pieces every year but that CORE, the heart and soul of the team remained the same.

One could argue guys like Dwight, JaVale, Green and Rondo were as significant pieces to last season's chip winning team as Fox, Fisher, Horry and Bshaw were to the 3Peat Lakers.

It just seems many in this fan base along with Rob severely underestimated what those guys brought to that team and their contributions was what made that squad special.

The size, the strength, the defense, the basketball IQ and championship DNA.

It is what it is because there is no going back now.

Time to move on and pray Rob learns from his mistakes.


+1

I'm glad someone else gets it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 4134

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Back to the topic:

What other GM has dismantled a championship squad after it's 1st championship? That was dumb as hell. The next 4 years, we need not to make foolish mistakes like that. I don't trust Rob right now, he's gonna have to prove his self. We will see what he does this off season.


Yay, bring them back so we feel better about not making the playoffs or losing the same way b/c AD is out.


Time to move forward. Let's just hope he doesn't make another disastrous mistake. I remain hopeful this off season, but I personally don't have any faith in Rob, until he proves his self.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 3810

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Back to the topic:

What other GM has dismantled a championship squad after it's 1st championship? That was dumb as hell. The next 4 years, we need not to make foolish mistakes like that. I don't trust Rob right now, he's gonna have to prove his self. We will see what he does this off season.


Dallas did when Cuban was not willing to dig deeper in his pocket and resign Chandler etc. I believed they have magical run in contrast to our dominant run.

Last year , our role players have more definitive role and everyone is on the same page and clearly the chemistry and the camaraderie is undeniable. Even guys like McGee sulk it up without playing and actually came back and pick up his option. That’s the type of players who clearly wants to be here and play a role.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB