Next 4 years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Not making the playoffs vs. exiting in the first round are about the same thing to me.

If LBJ and AD were hurt we would have been better off losing out the rest of the season and getting a shot at Giddey or Juzang.

If they had a good chance of getting healthy by the next series... then sure, you play. But if they knew they were done we should have rested them and gone for the better pick... Especially with the Schroder situation.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

Looking back on the Shaq/Kobe Lakers there was a consistent core that returned year after year durning that 3peat run.

Fox, Fisher, Horry, Bshaw along with Shaq and Kobe.

After winning our first ring, we replaced the starting power forward (AC Green) and starting small forward (Glen Rice). They were the #2 and #5 guys in minutes played on the first ring team, so it was a pretty significant reshuffling of the deck. After that, the team was fairly constant.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Not making the playoffs vs. exiting in the first round are about the same thing to me.

If LBJ and AD were hurt we would have been better off losing out the rest of the season and getting a shot at Giddey or Juzang.

If they had a good chance of getting healthy by the next series... then sure, you play. But if they knew they were done we should have rested them and gone for the better pick... Especially with the Schroder situation.

I don't see Lebron and AD going along with that. If they could manage to get their bodies out on the court, they were going to play. Don't see Lebron giving up on the season just for the sake of potentially improving the team's draft position.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Back to the topic:

What other GM has dismantled a championship squad after it's 1st championship? That was dumb as hell. The next 4 years, we need not to make foolish mistakes like that. I don't trust Rob right now, he's gonna have to prove his self. We will see what he does this off season.

We've already gotten a chip under his watch. He doesn't have to prove jack (bleep).
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Back to the topic:

What other GM has dismantled a championship squad after it's 1st championship? That was dumb as hell. The next 4 years, we need not to make foolish mistakes like that. I don't trust Rob right now, he's gonna have to prove his self. We will see what he does this off season.

We've already gotten a chip under his watch. He doesn't have to prove jack (bleep).

No…. But this off season is huge…we’re starting to see the slight demise of LeBron….AD is injury prone until he proves otherwise. So it has to be a can’t miss off season…what does that mean? No more old guys…and end to guys like Wes, Gasol, Kief, Dudley, DG….have to be creative and calculative. Let’s see what he can do….there is talent out there and possible trades to pursue. The jury is out.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Back to the topic:

No…. But this off season is huge…we’re starting to see the slight demise of LeBron….AD is injury prone until he proves otherwise. So it has to be a can’t miss off season…what does that mean? No more old guys…and end to guys like Wes, Gasol, Kief, Dudley, DG….have to be creative and calculative. Let’s see what he can do….there is talent out there and possible trades to pursue. The jury is out.

Exactly, and he also over thought last off season and broke up a championship squad after our 1st championship. That was a huge mistake. This off season is big in my opinion.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

Do we still have the same scouting team?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject:

eh.. This post analysis way after the fact is kind of weak imo.. Nearly everyone here and in the media were talking about how good the moves were in real time. You keep last years role players instead of making the moves we made and probably don't even make the Playoffs but if we did it would have very likely been the same thing. Injured LBJ and AD = No shot at a ring, period.

I do agree this off season is a massive one for Rob though and he will have some huge decisions to make that will not be popular for many regardless of the direction he takes.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

Juzang isn’t even projected to go first round lol
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Back to the topic:

There's nothing wrong with cheaper, older players who don't mind limited minutes but can come in as needed. That's been a staple of the Lakers ring teams over the past 20 years. It's just a function of having superstars take most of the salaries; you need cheap veterans to round out the roster.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Back to the topic:

There's nothing wrong with cheaper, older players who don't mind limited minutes but can come in as needed. That's been a staple of the Lakers ring teams over the past 20 years. It's just a function of having superstars take most of the salaries; you need cheap veterans to round out the roster.

Agree to disagree here. The old guys were worthless this year….DG was worthless in the finals last year. And it’s much more pronounced now with LeBron losing a step and the issues with AD. We need younger, 31 and younger athletic players, that can run the floor and can defend some. Sure we need shooters as well…but for a long 82 games season…youth and athleticism are very important IMO.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Back to the topic:

Agree to disagree here. The old guys were worthless this year….DG was worthless in the finals last year. And it’s much more pronounced now with LeBron losing a step and the issues with AD. We need younger, 31 and younger athletic players, that can run the floor and can defend some. Sure we need shooters as well…but for a long 82 games season…youth and athleticism are very important IMO.

Well, the only old guys we had who played (other than Lebron) were Gasol and Matthews. Matthews was an eh, but I thought Gasol played OK. I don't know that you are going to find minimum wage guys under 30 who will contribute more than they did.
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Back to the topic:

Well, the only old guys we had who played (other than Lebron) were Gasol and Matthews. Matthews was an eh, but I thought Gasol played OK. I don't know that you are going to find minimum wage guys under 30 who will contribute more than they did.

Maybe not but you take chances on players instead of letting LeBron decide (IE Dudley). Go back and look my posts from last year (I not literally) but was begging to sign Cameron Payne, Robinson III, Whiteside and list goes on. None of these guys are game changers but all offer more than Duds, McKinnie and in some cases, Gasol and Wes offered this year. You have to take chances to improve the roster when you have salary cap issues like we have.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject:

BLF2145 wrote:

Maybe not but you take chances on players instead of letting LeBron decide (IE Dudley). Go back and look my posts from last year (I not literally) but was begging to sign Cameron Payne, Robinson III, Whiteside and list goes on. None of these guys are game changers but all offer more than Duds, McKinnie and in some cases, Gasol and Wes offered this year. You have to take chances to improve the roster when you have salary cap issues like we have.

Your list shows that there isn't any guarantee with these things. The Kings picked up Robinson in Dec. and waived him in February. Whiteside ended the season on the bench, with fans complaining how useless he was.

Last year we signed some older cheap vets and won a ring. This year we had a lot of problems, so lots of people are upset about everything.

Ultimately, you have to make the best guesses about the talent that's available. No matter what you do, you'll be second guessed, because everyone can imagine that the road not taken had no potholes.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BLF2145 wrote:

Your list shows that there isn't any guarantee with these things. The Kings picked up Robinson in Dec. and waived him in February. Whiteside ended the season on the bench, with fans complaining how useless he was.

Last year we signed some older cheap vets and won a ring. This year we had a lot of problems, so lots of people are upset about everything.

Ultimately, you have to make the best guesses about the talent that's available. No matter what you do, you'll be second guessed, because everyone can imagine that the road not taken had no potholes.

I prefer being second guessed going younger than going older…..I think you’re underestimating the fact Bron is getting older (starting to show) and AD is injury prone until proven otherwise. I don’t want old vets that can’t hang for more than 15-20 minutes….and are prime for injuries.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BLF2145 wrote:

I prefer being second guessed going younger than going older…..I think you’re underestimating the fact Bron is getting older (starting to show) and AD is injury prone until proven otherwise. I don’t want old vets that can’t hang for more than 15-20 minutes….and are prime for injuries.

I find second guessing boring either way, especially in a case like this where I don't see that the alternative reality would have been likely to move needle.

You make your choices. Some work out; some don't. Then you move on.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BLF2145 wrote:

I find second guessing boring either way, especially in a case like this where I don't see that the alternative reality would have been likely to move needle.

You make your choices. Some work out; some don't. Then you move on.

Fair enough….but I would sure like to see the FO get creative with the MLE or minimum deals for the following: Porter Jr., Barton, Richardson, Valentine, Giles, Jones Jr., Burks, L. Williams, Lyles, Noel, Portis, Payne etc. and there’s more. Instead the likes of Dudley, Kief, Wes, Gasol etc. Either to play a significant role or filling out the roster.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Fair enough….but I would sure like to see the FO get creative with the MLE or minimum deals for the following: Porter Jr., Barton, Richardson, Valentine, Giles, Jones Jr., Burks, L. Williams, Lyles, Noel, Portis, Payne etc. and there’s more. Instead the likes of Dudley, Kief, Wes, Gasol etc. Either to play a significant role or filling out the roster.

I'm not sure how many of those guys would be available for the minimum, or even the mini-MLE. Barton, for example, has an $14.8 million option this year. Portis could easily get $10 million.

You may be overestimating who will be available for what we are able to pay.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:

I'm not sure how many of those guys would be available for the minimum, or even the mini-MLE. Barton, for example, has an $14.8 million option this year. Portis could easily get $10 million.

Possibly….but a lot of people thought Trez would get a lot more last year too. My point is you don’t know….hoping we can pull something surprising.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:

People are in for a rude awakening in terms of the prices of free agents. Same with expecting minimum deal players to be a guaranteed rotation level piece.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Possibly….but a lot of people thought Trez would get a lot more last year too. My point is you don’t know….hoping we can pull something surprising.

You can always hope. However, promising young athletic players tend not be cheap. The cheap guys are players that teams take a flier on -- occasionally one of those guys works out, but most of the time they don't. With veterans, you can be fairly sure of what you're getting.

In general, fans favor throwing the dice because they salivate over finding a hidden gem. Teams tend to be more cautious because they have to live with the consequences of their decisions.

A contending team with players like AD and Lebron is probably more likely to play it a little safer rather than take high-risk, high-reward decisions.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:

You can always hope. However, promising young athletic players tend not be cheap. The cheap guys are players that teams take a flier on -- occasionally one of those guys works out, but most of the time they don't. With veterans, you can be fairly sure of what you're getting.

In general, fans favor throwing the dice because they salivate over finding a hidden gem. Teams tend to be more cautious because they have to live with the consequences of their decisions.

A contending team with players like AD and Lebron is probably more likely to play it a little safer rather than take high-risk, high-reward decisions.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Since AD & LBJ are working closely with Rob, there is a reason why the older players are preferred, they have proven to be trustworthy during crunch times when playoff games are being played.

Though Gasol (and Wes) underperformed before Drummond arrived, one knew that he had the ability to produce in crunch time

For those that wanted to take a creative shot - DS was that example and he disappeared during the playoffs - just like Kuz

Hopefully Rob will be able to bring back AC and TNT because they have shown that they can be a great benefit to AD/LBJ.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:
activeverb wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Since AD & LBJ are working closely with Rob, there is a reason why the older players are preferred, they have proven to be trustworthy during crunch times when playoff games are being played.

Though Gasol (and Wes) underperformed before Drummond arrived, one knew that he had the ability to produce in crunch time

For those that wanted to take a creative shot - DS was that example and he disappeared during the playoffs - just like Kuz

Hopefully Rob will be able to bring back AC and TNT because they have shown that they can be a great benefit to AD/LBJ.

DS disappeared in the playoffs? Sure in game 5 otherwise he was pretty solid. Kuz I agree….we’ve been waiting forever on him. But again you guys are failing to acknowledge LeBron being 37 in December and AD injuries. An old vet that depends on them is useless if they’d not at an elite level. U want to talk about disappearing look at the vets, Wes, Kief and Gasol not to mention Dudley…4 wasted roster spots.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

<snip>
U want to talk about disappearing look at the vets, Wes, Kief and Gasol not to mention Dudley…4 wasted roster spots.

The death of a reasonable argument is to taint it with apparent bias. Gasol did not disappear, he played at a level similar to Howard/McGee last year and better than Drummond (the young vaunted former all-star) in the playoffs this year. (Like always I looked at the stats). It's fine to not like Gasol, that's your prerogative, but you're just weakening your own argument.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: