Rick Carlisle not returning to Dallas

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Rick Carlisle not returning to Dallas

Top 5 coach now available.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31654042/rick-carlisle-says-return-dallas-mavericks-coach-13-seasons

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Holy (bleep)
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Probably Boston bound.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Can the Lakers fire Vogel and get him?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I think he's Boston bound. Were he not, Rick Carlisle is the President of the National Basketball Coaches Association for 15 years and has been vociferous in his defense of coaches getting canned unfairly. I'd put up real money that there's NO WAY Carlisle would stoop to those levels especially with Vogel having just won a chip the prior season.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
MJST wrote:

I think he's Boston bound. Were he not, Rick Carlisle is the President of the National Basketball Coaches Association for 15 years and has been vociferous in his defense of coaches getting canned unfairly. I'd put up real money that there's NO WAY Carlisle would stoop to those levels especially with Vogel having just won a chip the prior season.

Not that it really has any bearing on his next stop, but there's always the "he played there during his career" factor.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
MJST wrote:

Not that it really has any bearing on his next stop, but there's always the "he played there during his career" factor.

Yeah he really blew up on the coaching scene as an assistant to Larry on the Pacers. That whole crew is like the low key version of our Showtime Cartel. It's Boston or retirement in my opinion. He ain't leaving a cushy job to join the circus here in LA all the while taking a dump on the corpse of his peer.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yeah he really blew up on the coaching scene as an assistant to Larry on the Pacers. That whole crew is like the low key version of our Showtime Cartel. It's Boston or retirement in my opinion. He ain't leaving a cushy job to join the circus here in LA all the while taking a dump on the corpse of his peer.

I agree it makes the most sense for him to be Boston bound (sadly) but Boston said, I believe, their top priority is to hire a black coach. Obviously that was said before Carlisle was available.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
MJST wrote:

Something I only recently learned about Carlisle is that not only was he the coach of the Pacers during the Malice at the Palace, but he was actually the coach of the Pistons two seasons before that. (He was Larry Brown’s predecessor.) And from your post, now I’ve learned that he was an assistant coach on the Pacers team which made the finals in 2000. Small world.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
MJST wrote:

Something I only recently learned about Carlisle is that not only was he the coach of the Pacers during the Malice at the Palace, but he was actually the coach of the Pistons two seasons before that. (He was Larry Brown’s predecessor.) And from your post, now I’ve learned that he was an assistant coach on the Pacers team which made the finals in 2000. Small world.

Yeah, I only recall because of an article I had read back in the 90s about Bird's coaching. He was completely hands off on the X's and O's and had a defensive and offensive assistant that handled that aspect of it. Carlisle's imprint was all over those teams.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

And here I was thinking all of these years that Cuban was smart, both basketball-wise and as a businessman.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/drew-magary-on-mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-16255420.php

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
And here I was thinking all of these years that Cuban was smart, both basketball-wise and as a businessman.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/drew-magary-on-mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-16255420.php

Dude Haralabos Voulgaris is THAT guy? I heard him on a podcast on Simmons' podcast YEARS ago but completely forgot his name. Guy sure knows his analytics but he came across as a complete douche.

Luka is gone.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Guy sure knows his analytics but he came across as a complete douche.

Luka is gone.

No wonder Cuban likes him. It takes one to know one.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

If I am Brad Stevens, I'm throwing the bag to Carlisle. Championship coach, has ties to the Celtics, will do wonders for Tatum.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Welp he's not coaching the Celtics :O
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject:

Bucks should dump Bud and hire him, then
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

He's rejoining Indiana.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Based on what I’ve seen the last few years
I think Carlisle needs to rethink his coaching strategy

Running the entire offense through one guy and no plays for a 7-1 SG who can shoot over people is a little easy to defend in the NBA playoffs ... now add the defense... think Carlisle isn’t the coach he was 10 years ago.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: