The Lakers are looking for a new head athletic trainer

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: The Lakers are looking for a new head athletic trainer

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers are in the market to hire a new head athletic trainer after injuries ravaged their 2020-21 season.

Nina Hsieh, promoted to head trainer two years ago, did not have her contract renewed, sources told ESPN.

Quote:
More changes are expected as the team is in the process of restructuring its approach to player health, sources told ESPN.

ESPN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

Is Judy Seto leading the charge to find someone new?

Hate to see someone lose their job.. especially when it's hard to qualify they work, but happy to hear Jeanie and Rob are pushing all the buttons to revamp what they feel is not working.

Feels like just a few years ago where every department needed re-working.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

I blame the schedule more than the trainer. Look at all the big names out from the postseason.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I blame the schedule more than the trainer. Look at all the big names out from the postseason.

That was my initial take as well but they have 2 full years of date and experiences that we have no idea of
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

That’s unfortunate, but that’s why the Lakers are a high pressure organization.

If it’s not a chip season...everything gets re-evaluated.

They aren’t happy about losing 1st round and the Clippers getting to the WCF without Kawhi these past 2 games is probably going to make them even more POed at the me me vibe some the new additions that haven’t won anything had...
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott come on down
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

Time to raid Phoenix or GSW.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

It’s about damn time. Other teams have injuries too, but only the Laker players were recovering super slow.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject:

Confirmed someone in the org has been reading Mike’s posts on LG.

Mike@LG wrote:
It took them years just to get to Jrue. Cousins, Mirotic, Randle are guys that moved the needle, but these are Top 25-Top 50 NBA player types? DMC wasn't Sacramento version DMC either.

It takes 2 Top 10 guys, at bare minimum, and zero thought was taken into consideration for trying to get that guy, OR stacking picks to get one in the lottery OR creating a development team to build their young players, OR rebuilding the Smoothie King center, bottom to top.

No wonder why AD was injury prone. Wrong sport trainers. They didn't even invest in their own players.

So yeah, if I'm Zion, and I'm likely told that I'm the franchise player from the jump, it's all talk until they actually do it, regardless of Zion's age.
Mike@LG wrote:

Unfortunately got hurt. Still, the Pels played better without him, AD at the 5, Mirotic at 4, and actually made a playoff run.

If I were Zion, I'd protect my body and knees before committing to playing defense. If the franchise doesn't commit to bigger plans, why should the players? At least BI got his contract. He's also playing some of the worst defense of his career too.

This goes WAY beyond the front office, and all the way to ownership.

I wish I could afford to buy a team.

But AD has already begun to show these same injury issues here.

Stephen Curry had multiple ankle issues in GSW. GSW hired the right staff, assistant coaches, trainers. Curry was then healthy enough to develop through it and become a Top 5 player.

AD, developed all of his offensive skills, despite the training staff. The last time LAL had that kind of problem, it was Andrew Bynum, and his knees burned down.

This is absolutely why when LAL was making all the big changes to get ready for a window, the most critical one is hiring a real training staff. Once, they got Dr. Seto, it was a sign of the first real investment in the players.

So, the Pels, tried, and they're still running like a poverty franchise, 2 years after AD is gone, and still haven't learned their lesson, hence, Zion isn't interested in investing himself in the franchise.

Makes sense to me.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject:

Time to promote Gunnar Peterson from strength and conditioning to full time
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Time to raid Phoenix or GSW.

Phoenix really does seem to be upper echelon of league in this area.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject:

As others have already said, this is not the trainer's fault. It's a premature firing, and there is no quick fix for it. This is a systemic issue that's affecting all teams and players. I was reading a book by a fairly popular sports/fitness industry leader, and he talked about how the lack of centralized treatment plans are failing people. You have to see 5 different people -> massage therapist, doctor, nutritionist, physical trainer, etc, with each giving conflicting/contradicting advice. The fact that there isn't a centralized system or database that highlights this is one of the biggest downfalls of the fitness/medical industry. It's worse now because there's an injury epidemic in the NBA, which is almost disproportionately impacting young people (also look at the high incidence of teenagers getting Tommy John surgery vs 10 years ago). Injuries that athletes usually get in their 30s are now occurring in teenagers

Regarding Curry, this is supposedly the same GSW staff that gave Durant the greenlight to play in the finals, resulting in an achilles rupture (a possible career ending injury). With Curry, a lot of it was also luck and timing. I'm not taking anything away from his trainers, but it helps that his playstyle is perimeter oriented and the majority of his shots are from the 3pt line. Also look at Klay - dude tore his ACL and then ruptured his achilles a year later in a pickup game. Their bodies are falling apart at a much higher rate than their predecessors. There's a larger issue that needs to be addressed.

The current modality is failing so many people. Outside the box thinking is required to fix it. I love that Kobe was somewhat of a pioneer when he went to get that experimental knee treatment in Germany back in 2011. It certainly prolonged his career.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject:

After Nina was hired the first year from within, things went fairly well. I’m so sorry that she had to deal with such a short turnaround this season. Definitely rooting for her to get a new opportunity soon, her family’s been so kind to me and I wish her the best.

Quote:
She became the first woman to be the head athletic trainer on a championship team in American major professional sports history when Los Angeles won the title in the NBA bubble in Orlando, Florida, in October.

Last edited by XTC on Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

I guess we don't know any of the reasons why the contract didn't get renewed.

But let's find the best possible staff in the current situation. Is there any information who they are looking to hire?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

head strength and conditioning coach Chattin Hill also seems to have been let go.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: