Biggest Mistake of 2020-2021 Season is...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject:

Without that injuries we would still be in contention.
Although we were a better team last year.

All of our moves did not improve the team, especially the Bigs

Trezz is a good energy player but not made for playoff basketball. Gasol is way too slow and can't jump 1 inch. He's a good playmaker at the high post but he's more of a liability than useful.
He had 2-3 games where he was good, but that's not enough.

DS is good for 15 mill but without LBJ you can see that he's clearly not a number 2 option.

I hope Rob is able to from a good team for the next season and not overpaying DS
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Getting injured was a big mistake. Probably shouldn't have done that.

This needs reiterating. There's a lot of uneducated finger pointing toward individuals (Schroder, Drummond, Harrell, Kuzma, Vogel, Pelinka) in this thread but at the end of the day if LeBron and Davis don't get injured precisely when/how they did then we're probably resting for a WCF matchup right now.

The same would be true if we had the same team as last year and it will be true no matter who is on the team next year. If LeBron and Davis are healthy through the playoffs we're competing for a championship. If they're not, we won't be.

The best thing the Lakers can do now is make sure they have players that can lighten the load of those two during the regular season (Schroder, Harrell, and Drummond are all useful for this) and horde assets (Caruso, Kuzma, THT, draft picks) to trade for a third star player that can carry the load should one of our superstars lose time to injury.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

I was going to wait until the end of the PO's to post what I thought were the biggest mistakes of the 20-21 season.

1. I don't know every detail but we should have locked Dwight up immediately, and then went about the business of the rest of the roster. DH along side AD was an athletic, defensive nightmare for the league. I recall an observation by a scout of that frontline.

He stated "some teams can play big, but not fast, and some teams can play fast, but not too big, this team can do both".

Thats what made our team unique. The size, skill, and defensive mentality. It's the reason we promised Drummond a starting position to sign.

2. Move THT for Lowry if we're going to go all in. If we're not going all in, then expect a player like DS to think he's better than he is, and damn near demand to start. The exact opposite attitude we needed.

Overall I like the job RB/KLUTCH are doing.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

The shortest off-season in NBA history was a big mistake by the Lakers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
Theseus wrote:
Getting injured was a big mistake. Probably shouldn't have done that.

This needs reiterating. There's a lot of uneducated finger pointing toward individuals (Schroder, Drummond, Harrell, Kuzma, Vogel, Pelinka) in this thread but at the end of the day if LeBron and Davis don't get injured precisely when/how they did then we're probably resting for a WCF matchup right now.

The same would be true if we had the same team as last year and it will be true no matter who is on the team next year. If LeBron and Davis are healthy through the playoffs we're competing for a championship. If they're not, we won't be.

The best thing the Lakers can do now is make sure they have players that can lighten the load of those two during the regular season (Schroder, Harrell, and Drummond are all useful for this) and horde assets (Caruso, Kuzma, THT, draft picks) to trade for a third star player that can carry the load should one of our superstars lose time to injury.

I'm not one for woulda coulda shouldas. I have no idea how the team would have done with a healthy Lebron and AD.

My sense is all the moves were, overall, lateral. I think the Lakers changed the team without improving or diminishing it significantly.

When you say to horde assets that then put in (Caruso, Kuzma, THT, draft picks), it just reminds me how few assets we have to hoarde. If we could trade that bunch for a true star, it would have already been done.
Luis5150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

The short offseason/no training camp, the ridiculously condensed schedule, lack of practice time, and finally most important... health - far outweighs any "mistakes" this season. It isn't that complicated
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

NO MISTAKES

Injuries are part of the game.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Not re-signing Dwight Howard was a head scratcher from the get-go. I was okay with losing Javale but not those 2 guys at once. Losing both of them changed the way we played drastically. We went from a trio of rim protectors and lob threats on our championship run down to just one.

That mistake cascaded into us wasting our roster spot looking for a rim protector mid season which turned into another mistake which was Andre Drummond which resulted to benching Marc Gasol, another mistake.

I was not a fan of the Montrezl signing but I didn't hate it either and I understood that he was a Klutch client. The real mistake was not getting him a pick and roll partner off the bench. Maximizing him on offense by pairing him with a playmaker off the bench could have relieved a lot of the scoring pressure from Bron and AD.

We really lacked another playmaker in general. I had been saying that we have a bunch of spot up shooters without a playmaker outside lebron who could get the ball to them in their spots. That was the value that Rondo gave us when he was here last season.

I remember wanting CP3, D. Rose or Ingles before the season started when everyone was still concocting their own lakers roster. D.Green+Kuz for Ingles + pick was my trade. Ingles was an upgrade over Danny Green and we could just sign someone like Jeff Green to replicate Kuz's production off the bench. I think it was a mod here who wrote off Ingles as washed up, of course before he turned in career highs in 3pt%(45%) and BPM(3.4).

Midseason I still wanted us to get another playmaker but there were fewer choices at that point. Delon Wright was someone who I thought we could grab. Decent size, good defender, more importantly a decent playmaker, who could run our offense better than Caruso without losing much on defense. Some here thought it was impossible to trade for him before he got traded for peanuts and 2nd round picks.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Not hiring a good GM
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject:

Biggest mistakes
Kostas A
Jared Dudley
Cacock

Holding 3 spots to players who are no threats to playing...adds to the complacency of a team. The youth movement was in play to surround LeBron with younger leges so he wouldn't have to do as much. Tht caused some pressure amongst the guards because he became a threat...pushed kcp and Caruso to play better. Later BMac did the same thing. Our forwards...Kuz...Morris...Wes...I actually liked mckinnie and thought he didn't get enough opportunity...but they seemed complacent to me. They look down and see Kostas and cacock and dudley....and know they have guaranteed pt. When Ad went down...they still didn't play.

Next mistake...coaching. our offense was terrible. Too dependent on LeBron and Ad. People kill DS...but we wouldn't have been 7th seed without him. Once the coach saw that AD wasn't ready to take the reigns as the best player on the team....and that was apparent early in the season...it would have been prudent to install a more detailed offense. I think gasol was brought in because he makes the passes that the offense would call for...but he does it on its own...it's the easy way out...the 2nd unit could have been the change of pace from the plodding isn't unit....but nope. Vogel treats Kuz like he is Danny green...Caruso is rondo....the role players need the structure of knowing what should happen...because they can't create like the stars can....that never really happened.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject:

Biggest mistake is not hitting Solomon Hill before he hit LBJ. Simple as that.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Not hiring a good GM

What GM can prevent Solomon from diving in Lebron? Or AD from pulling his groin? And now... what GM could have prevented an ACL tear for Kawhi?

Your Clips are now done too, the curse continues. It has nothing to do with GMs. Dwight, Javale, Green would be bashed equally this year, and the same type of people being critical would line up and call out Rob for not being pro-active. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. No amount of moves you make will compensate for losing your best players for chunks at a time during the year, then losing AD for good in the playoffs.
ltsmash
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I think letting D12 go for basically nothing came back to bite them because they lost a lot of shot blocking and physicality, and overall defense especially because AD was injured. Also, had we re-signed D12, maybe we could have picked up a guard / forward instead of Drummond (nothing against him necessarily but I thought his defense was a bit lacking). If the Lakers had D12, I bet it would have minimized the wear-and-tear on AD and they would have matched up better against the Suns when AD sat.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Interesting how things play out. First lets be honest. If AD was out and LBJ was hobbled last year, no ring then either. I think we all agree they didn't handle Dwight correctly. Next mistake was incorrectly handling Montrez/Dennis that should have been the second team break and butter. Starting Dennis messed that up. Finally get some friggin shooters already.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject:

I change my answer.
It's the return of bandwagon fans.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject:

We should have tanked in the first round of the playoffs last year so we had some extra rest this season.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
Not hiring a good GM

What GM can prevent Solomon from diving in Lebron? Or AD from pulling his groin? And now... what GM could have prevented an ACL tear for Kawhi?

Your Clips are now done too, the curse continues. It has nothing to do with GMs. Dwight, Javale, Green would be bashed equally this year, and the same type of people being critical would line up and call out Rob for not being pro-active. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. No amount of moves you make will compensate for losing your best players for chunks at a time during the year, then losing AD for good in the playoffs.

NO GM can prevent injuries. All anyone can do is to add players that gives you the best chance at success even if small adversaries hit. You keep talking about injuries. I get it, no matter who the role players are IF AD/LBJ is hurt, we won't win.

The point I am trying to make is, even without injuries, this roster sucks as a team. Other than going after known players, Rob hasn't proved anything so far.

Before this season, Lakers and Clippers both have not much space or assets, they added Reggie/Batum/Kennard/Ibaka we added garbage and made a mess at C position. Everyone said There is no way KL goes to Clippers. They not only got KL but also got PG. Has anyone even remotely think of that possibility?
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

No consistency in rotation, example: Not playing Ben when we needed scoring.

Leading up to the playoffs Vogel was giving Ben was some consistent mins averaging 23 mins until the last game, then the first 2 games of the playoffs he was DNP then only given 8 mins for the rest of the playoffs.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Not trading for Lowry. Would have reduced the usage of LeBron and perhaps he would have been healthy in the playoffs. Healthy LeBron and Lowry may get by the Suns and the Nuggets, ready with a healthy AD by the conference finals.
Also, addition by subtraction of KCP and Schroder playoff performances. More minutes for Matthews and perhaps McLemore. .
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject:

So the FO is head hunting instead of looking in the mirror and Nina is out...

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers are on the market looking to hire a new head athletic trainer after injuries ravaged their 2020-21 season.

Nina Hsieh, promoted to head trainer two years ago, did not have her contract renewed, sources told ESPN.

Hsieh worked for the franchise for more than a decade, beginning as the head athletic trainer in charge of the health and wellness program for the Lakers' G League affiliate, then working as an assistant trainer for the Lakers, before taking over as head athletic trainer for the purple and gold in August 2019.

She became the first woman head athletic trainer on a championship team in American major professional sports history when L.A. won the title in the NBA bubble in Orlando, Florida last October.

However, the Lakers' repeat bid fell short with a first round exit to the Phoenix Suns, with Anthony Davis (groin), Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (left knee) and Alex Caruso (ankle) all hampered in the series. This after a regular season in which LeBron James missed 26 of the Lakers' final 30 games with a high right ankle sprain, Davis missed 36 games and L.A.'s roster missed 201 games in total, according to Spotrac data.

It is the second time in the last three years the Lakers have parted ways with their head athletic trainer. L.A. let Marco Nunez go in April 2019 after three years at the helm following a season in which Lakers players lost 212 games because of injury.

Prior to Nunez, Gary Vitti served in the role for more than 30 years.

More changes are expected as the team is in the process of restructuring its approach to player health, sources told ESPN.

They must believe the biggest mistake was health. {eyeroll}
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers are on the market looking to hire a new head athletic trainer after injuries ravaged their 2020-21 season.

Nina Hsieh, promoted to head trainer two years ago, did not have her contract renewed, sources told ESPN.

Hsieh worked for the franchise for more than a decade, beginning as the head athletic trainer in charge of the health and wellness program for the Lakers' G League affiliate, then working as an assistant trainer for the Lakers, before taking over as head athletic trainer for the purple and gold in August 2019.

She became the first woman head athletic trainer on a championship team in American major professional sports history when L.A. won the title in the NBA bubble in Orlando, Florida last October.

However, the Lakers' repeat bid fell short with a first round exit to the Phoenix Suns, with Anthony Davis (groin), Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (left knee) and Alex Caruso (ankle) all hampered in the series. This after a regular season in which LeBron James missed 26 of the Lakers' final 30 games with a high right ankle sprain, Davis missed 36 games and L.A.'s roster missed 201 games in total, according to Spotrac data.

It is the second time in the last three years the Lakers have parted ways with their head athletic trainer. L.A. let Marco Nunez go in April 2019 after three years at the helm following a season in which Lakers players lost 212 games because of injury.

More changes are expected as the team is in the process of restructuring its approach to player health, sources told ESPN.

I think it’s a good move. Everyone can’t be continually injured.

Next, how about a real shooting coach? We have never had one, right? Didn’t we have Mike Penberthy? No one respects Mike Penberthy who barely sniffed the NBA. Get a real shooter. Hire Ray Allen, glen Rice, Peja, real shooters.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:

I think it’s a good move. Everyone can’t be continually injured.

Next, how about a real shooting coach? We have never had one, right? Didn’t we have Mike Penberthy? No one respects Mike Penberthy who barely sniffed the NBA. Get a real shooter. Hire Ray Allen, glen Rice, Peja, real shooters.

Great shooters don't necessarily make great shooting coaches, anymore than great players make great head coaches.

Being able to do something and helping others do something well are not the same skill yet.

Mike Penberthy was a great shooter and he's a respected shooting coach. He just didn't have the athleticism to play in the NBA. Ironically, he might have had a decent NBA career if he had come along today when the 3 pointer is so much more important.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

As far as Dwight. Any chance he comes back? He's not getting much run with doc. With a promise of a bigger role and a personal apology from Rob (which I think is important to Dwight), maybe we reconcile?
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

The biggest mistake besides the injuries are:

Looking too much at statistics and not into fit.
Howard, Rondo, and Green were the biggest losses.

Green for his defense and he is just always on a winner.
Rondo was the missing playmaker and best in playoffs.
Howard clogged the middle on defense.

They didn't have large statistics but fit wise they fit when it counted.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject:

Now that the last of our of the bench crew from the championship are eliminated let’s check there stats to show why injuries not the personnel we lost is the reason for our early exit.

Dwight 12.4 mins 4.7 pts 6.3 reb 0.5 blk
Green 24.9 mins 7.0 pts 2.6 reb .378 3pt%
Rondo 16.9 mins 4,2 pts 2.6 reb 3.8 ast
McGee 8.5 mins 3.0 pts 3.0reb 1.3 blk

If fan is still think that the players we lost could have made the outcome different this year with an injured LBJ and AD, they must be delusional.

Last edited by DLaker on Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: