2021 NBA Draft.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject:

The updated Bleacher Report Mock (Wasserman) has the Lakers taking Cam Thomas @ #22....and the updated Athletic mock (Vecenie) has the Lakers taking Duarte @ #22.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility/?sort=STANDING_VERTICAL_LEAP&dir=1

Athletic test results poppin

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility/?sort=STANDING_VERTICAL_LEAP&dir=1

Jericho Sims looks like an athletic freak in the draft, let alone as a Center. Jesus at that vertical leap.

I’m curious on his real height. I wish he was an inch or two taller. What’s his wingspan?

Every year at Texas, he made athletic plays that would blow your mind out of nowhere....but it was always flashes. He will defend, set good screens and rebound....but he does not really have any offensive game outside highlight dunks.

Was following him last year as he reminded me of his predecessor Jarrett Allen. This year he sort of got lost in the hype of Jones and Brown. He has the short area handles that I believe can be developed. See the following

I was hoping he would be a udfa sign but appears he is a possible draft pick especially if he shows out in his workouts.

He would be my alternative than taking Isaiah Jackson in the 1st.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The updated Bleacher Report Mock (Wasserman) has the Lakers taking Cam Thomas @ #22....and the updated Athletic mock (Vecenie) has the Lakers taking Duarte @ #22.

Duarte would be a steal for the Lakers
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Juzang time
nbaDrafter
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject:

I'm quite torn on McBride and don't want to ride the wave like that to the mid-1st -there's a reason he had a low starting point, and this draft is fairly deep in depth (comparable to 2014, 2011 and 2008 where you could mine good roleplayer value in the 15-25 range). But I now have him at 24th.

He definitely has the tools to carve out a niche in the league. That defense should sure as hell translate - vertical leap, lateral quickness, quick hands, even some blocks, and probably most importantly--discipline in not fouling in putting all those stocks. Of all the projected 1st round guard prospects who are projected to bring positive D--Jalen Suggs, Jaden Springer, Jared Butler, and Davion Mitchell--he has the best combination of attributes. All of those four guys veer towards foul prone, and none (especially Mitchell and Butler) match the athleticism. He just feels NBA-ready on defense. Teams love to have a comfort level on one end of the court, and he has that.

Weaknesses - I'm not a fan of his retrograde shot selection. Don't get me wrong--if this is his only real weakness, man he's in muuchhh better shape than guys with no athleticism, guys with a broken jumper, etc. That almost grants a high floor for him. But in everyone in college knows the deal about threes and at-rim shots, so he still stands out there. College - West Virginia is home of the Mike Ganseys and the Kevin Pittsnogles, and Da'Sean Butlers and Devin Ebankses, and you can't name an NBA prospect from them. That's why he had a steep hill to climb to this point, and the metrics dock accordingly.

To elaborate the retrograde stuff - the guy never really gets to the rim or really takes threes. The rim thing is a bit baffling, because he does have some handles and clearly the hops/horizontal quickness. His shot is definitely good enough to make the leap to the three point line, which his NBA coach will inevitably force him to do. I see him as a good bench player overall- defensive stars are perceived as roleplayers, and he lacks the next-level vision, gravity, and at-rim impingement to take it to the next level.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Ugh. Lazy thinking.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject:

@The top of the draft: KPJ is a much more meaningful long-term prospect for the Rockets, so if they're stupidly drafting for fit over BPA, Mobley would still be the better choice.

Cunningham is going #1 overall. Troy Weaver is a weirdo who could out think himself and trade down, but Cunningham will be going #1 to some team if not Detroit.

#2 - Houston is in the catbird seat where the draft really starts. Evan Mobley is the clear 2nd best player in the draft to me and the best C prospect since KAT, but Houston can and should smokescreen about all of Suggs, Green, and Mobley to try and angle for additional assets if Toronto or Cleveland get hot and bothered for one of the Jalen's.

#3 - If Mobley's gone, I would take Kuminga #3, but I assume the Cavs will take Jalen Green. He's a bigger, better version of Sexton, so probably time to move on if either one of the Jalens is the selection.

#4 - Suggs is too perfect of a culture fit and it's a great spot for his development. Suggs isn't the guy much as FVV, Siakam, and OG aren't, but if Masai Ujiri stays on, he's shown he's capable of consolidating second/third option types for a superstar.

#5/#6 - Orlando would be a terrible landing spot for Kuminga's development. I don't know that OKC is much better, but if I were Presti I'd throw some of that future draft capital at Orlando to move up a spot for Kuminga just to save the kid from the Magic's dysfunction. Presti will no doubt be targeting that #2 pick and could dangle less onerous conditions on Houston's future picks to entice them, but I assume the Rockets won't want to drop as far #6. If Presti can't move up, I could squint and see an oddball prospect like Barnes working with Poku, but I would just take a swing on Springer/Giddey if I couldn't move back.

#7 - The Warriors should go all in, but there isn't a surefire available star out there right now who would fit their needs and timeline. Maybe #7/14/Wiseman/future draft picks could entice the Wizards to finally move Beal. There aren't any other real "blow it up" options right now and the moment the #7/14 picks become actual players they start decreasing in value. Again I'd take a swing on Giddey/Springer/maybe Ziaire here, but if the Warriors pick here and target a role-player, Franz and Moody are much better options for them than Barnes.

#8 - If Orlando can't package these two picks to move up and ultimately take a rawer prospect like Kuminga at #5, getting Moody would be a nice addition here. Again I'd look at Springer and Giddey with Sharife as an option if they're not enamored with Fultz/Anthony long-term.

#9 - This just feels like the landing spot for Jalen Johnson, doesn't it?

#10 - I see Davion Mitchell mocked here and if Griffin selects a tiny 23 year old third option combo guard with fake shooting stats, he's the moron most Lakers fans think he is. Given his recent draft history and the Pelicans roster/needs I'd be surprised if he doesn't go with a younger 2-3-4 player like Moody or Franz or Williams over older prospects like Mitchell and Kispert, but Prkacin and Thor would also be fun here in small ball lineups.

#11 - This is where Keon Johnson intrigues me long-term. Having a dogged on ball defender and athletic downhill slasher next to LaMelo could really work. Or maybe Bouknight is that guy, if you're into him. Anyway, unless Kupchak's super into Kai Jones, I wouldn't reach for the next tier of Cs this high.

#12 - I like all of the Spurs young perimeter players, but none of them look like the guy, so taking a swing on Giddey/Springer/Cooper to become the guy would make sense to me. I think they probably go with a bigger 3/4 like Wagner or Williams with JT Thor/Kai Jones as potential surprises. You know who would be awesome here, though? Prkacin!

#13 - The Pacers are boring. Blow it up!

#14 - Springer will be here, so they should pick him, but they'll probably do something boring like take Kispert.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject:

Julian Champagnie >>> Chris Duarte
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Taking a 24 year old in a draft is anything but a steal.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
adkindo wrote:

False.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
adkindo wrote:

True
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
true. how much taller & longer he is than Clarkson and Mccullum is something though

Btw Horton Tucker only had 8.4% body fat at his combine

Drafting Jordan Clarkson top 20 in the vast majority of drafts is a win, but it's still kind of dispiriting to set your sights on the next JC in the lottery.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:
true. how much taller & longer he is than Clarkson and Mccullum is something though

Drafting Jordan Clarkson top 20 in the vast majority of drafts is a win, but it's still kind of dispiriting to set your sights on the next JC in the lottery.

Are we referring to David Johnson or Tre Mann?

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

I thought this was about Bouknight
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

I am in a lot of GC conversations so I'm having trouble keeping track.

Bouknight getting KCP comparisons just made a ton of sense to me. As for Jordan Clarkson, he slipped in the draft after being a projected first rounder for his senior year because he gained weight, lost some burst, and was dealing with family issues. That's why he was a steal pick.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

So the only Klutch guys remotely in the Lakers range are Kai Jones (would probably need a small trade up) and BJ Boston (hopefully a trade back if they select him). Moses Moody and Jalen Johnson seem too far out of the Lakers range - lord, imagine Moody on the Lakers! - and Scottie Lewis is likely a #45-60 pick or undrafted.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

So the only Klutch guys remotely in the Lakers range are Kai Jones (would probably need a small trade up) and BJ Boston (hopefully a trade back if they select him). Moses Moody and Jalen Johnson seem too far out of the Lakers range - lord, imagine Moody on the Lakers! - and Scottie Lewis is likely a #45-60 pick or undrafted.

Yup, Moody would be ideal, Kai definite requires a trade up to at least mid 1st.

BJ Boston killed it in HS. Kinda need him to be a scrimmage warrior to see if anything changed.

Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

yea Bouknight. I think it's all relative to the field - on whether or not a guy with a solid outcome being Clarkson = fringe lotto... I think that's just what this draft class is in that range.
Honestly, Bouknight comes into the league with a wider array of dribble moves and go-to moves in the midrange as well. Clarkson came in as a better passer and with the more functional lead guard handle - the survivable handle. While Bouknight has more wiggle-moves ; Clarkson was a simple move + burst guy, or simple screen action..and he knew in midrange to pull-up with his defender in jail off P&R, simple stuff...but highly effective ; and I wish he developed in that role.
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject:

nbaDrafter wrote:
I'm quite torn on McBride and don't want to ride the wave like that to the mid-1st -there's a reason he had a low starting point, and this draft is fairly deep in depth (comparable to 2014, 2011 and 2008 where you could mine good roleplayer value in the 15-25 range). But I now have him at 24th.

He definitely has the tools to carve out a niche in the league. That defense should sure as hell translate - vertical leap, lateral quickness, quick hands, even some blocks, and probably most importantly--discipline in not fouling in putting all those stocks. Of all the projected 1st round guard prospects who are projected to bring positive D--Jalen Suggs, Jaden Springer, Jared Butler, and Davion Mitchell--he has the best combination of attributes. All of those four guys veer towards foul prone, and none (especially Mitchell and Butler) match the athleticism. He just feels NBA-ready on defense. Teams love to have a comfort level on one end of the court, and he has that.

Weaknesses - I'm not a fan of his retrograde shot selection. Don't get me wrong--if this is his only real weakness, man he's in muuchhh better shape than guys with no athleticism, guys with a broken jumper, etc. That almost grants a high floor for him. But in everyone in college knows the deal about threes and at-rim shots, so he still stands out there. College - West Virginia is home of the Mike Ganseys and the Kevin Pittsnogles, and Da'Sean Butlers and Devin Ebankses, and you can't name an NBA prospect from them. That's why he had a steep hill to climb to this point, and the metrics dock accordingly.

To elaborate the retrograde stuff - the guy never really gets to the rim or really takes threes. The rim thing is a bit baffling, because he does have some handles and clearly the hops/horizontal quickness. His shot is definitely good enough to make the leap to the three point line, which his NBA coach will inevitably force him to do. I see him as a good bench player overall- defensive stars are perceived as roleplayers, and he lacks the next-level vision, gravity, and at-rim impingement to take it to the next level.

His length measurements helped me get completely over the 6'2.5 height.. a 8'3.5 reach and 6'9 wingspan at that height, is like top 2%tile, he's really long - cumulatively reach and wingspan he's like an inch longer than Utah's Donovan Mitchell. He's going to be able to defend even SGs really well.
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Geezzzzz. I knew Sims could jump but 37” no step? 44.5 max?!?!

that's why him effortlessly having elite lob radius stood out to me. I don't buy that it's effortless enough for a lot of prospects ----- to just be able to throw the ball up and at the drop of a dime the Center prospect will be up high like Allen/Capela to get it... it's not common, but Sims has it for sure.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

that's why him effortlessly having elite lob radius stood out to me. I don't buy that it's effortless enough for a lot of prospects ----- to just be able to throw the ball up and at the drop of a dime the Center prospect will be up high like Allen/Capela to get it... it's not common, but Sims has it for sure.

G-League invite.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

G-League invite.

Yep, defenders just going to allow him to get the ball and trap him.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Jason Preston 38.5" max vert.

Even has better agility times then McBride.

Never saw this in game action.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Keon Johnson- 48 inch vertical leap!!!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Keon Johnson- 48 inch vertical leap!!!

How much can freakish athleticism overcome lack of skill in such a small dude?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 31 of 53
Jump to: