Counter culture director Robert Downey, Sr. dead at age 85

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Counter culture director Robert Downey, Sr. dead at age 85

Quote:
Robert Downey Sr., iconic filmmaker of such breakthrough anti-establishment classic films such as “Putney Swope” and “Greaser’s Palace,” died early Wednesday morning in his sleep at his home in New York City

A true iconoclast and one of the leading visionaries of independent filmmaking in America. RIP: Obituary

This is a great interview with him from a few years back and I found this part really touching:
Quote:
Yeah, that makes sense. I started to read the Enquirer years ago, because that’s how I’d know where my son was.

Even after he went clean?

Oh, sure. I tell you, he’s a miracle in that world, for doing that. Every time the phone rang after ten o’clock, I thought it was over. I was a druggie myself, so I never told him to stop or whatever. But I said, “Just don’t leave the planet.” He said, “You have my word.” And he kept it.

I remember this thing we went to, the Time magazine 100 most influential people or something. He calls me and says, “Would you wear a tuxedo for me? Thursday night we’re going somewhere.” I said, “I ain’t wearing a (bleep) tuxedo. (bleep) you.” My wife comes in and says, “Call him back and say you’ll do it.” So I meet him on the day, and he’s giving me all sorts of (bleep) about the tuxedo: “Where’s the cummerbund?” and all that. We go to Time Warner. Turns out everybody is bringing in somebody who’s a mentor to talk about them. Iron Man was just out. He says, “Can you believe what happened to me? The movie’s made 200 million dollars, and I’m the only convicted felon in this room.” I whisper to him, “No, you’re not.” The room is full of bankers and politicians. He says, “Do you have anything to say?” I say, “Yeah, I’m not your father.” That got a big laugh. He loved it.

Link: Village Voice
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject:

Damn. That's not an MP, that's a YP! YOUR problem.

It's a Catch-22...and that's all it is.

He was in To Live And Die In L.A., an LG movie buff fave.

Junior put his pops thru some stuff back in the day. I hope they had reconciled by now.

OK, he was 85 in 2021, so he was only 49 in 1985 (during TLADILA?) Damn, talk about an old lookin 49 year old. That further bolsters what his son did to his health in the 80s. When you see Junior in Less Than Zero, you take note at how naturalistic it looked for Jr. to play like he was on smack. He had some base knowledge there from all appearances.

You Got The Tusch:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: