OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Rondo/green/Dwight do not change the outcome of this season with AD/LBJ out. I actually believe we miss the playoffs if we kept them when AD/LBJ were both out injured.

I agree and while 2020 resulted in a chip, I wouldn’t bet on the perfect storm happening again.

AD/Lebron had to score 55+ combined points per game and they got a 4 month break to come back from and play like top 5 players.

We are back to the normal NBA grind and we will not win again if we don’t get those 2 some production help.

LBJ/AD/Elite defense worked one year but I wouldn’t count on it working again, specifically when moving forward there are and will be teams with 3 star set up.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Let's see if the Bucks let go 4 contributing role players from the team and recreate their team; like Pelinka or if they keep pretty much the same team.

Unless they think this bucks team can’t beat a healthy nets they will have to make big changes. They got dragged to 7.

C’mon man, last summer we saw Rob went younger for AD timeline,
35 yr old Dwight to 6MOY 28yr Trez
34 yr old Rondo to 6MOY RUP 28yr DS
Wes supposed to be the DG clone in a min contract
Drummond was the Best Buy out

Couldn’t close on Lowry trade was a ding

It was a team collapse/injury/coaching/players but I thought the GM moves were solid

They were far from solid. Trez was a horrible fit, Rob just thought he was smart and stole him from the Clippers. But the joke was on him, the Clippers didn’t want Trez back. Dennis was ok as a bench player but promising him a starting role was a huge mistake. And adding Drummond was a really dumb move, he was a poor fit with Lebron and AD. Rob lives in the early 2000’s when the post game mattered. The final 4 teams were all too 5 in three point shots made, the Lakers were 12th. Ignoring Rob bidding against himself to get AD, he needs to step into 2021.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject:

true, though i do want dwight back. his reputation precedes himself. opposing players are still afraid to drive against him. the same would probably be true of 60 year old Rodman though. LOL!

yinoma2001 wrote:
Rondo/green/Dwight do not change the outcome of this season with AD/LBJ out. I actually believe we miss the playoffs if we kept them when AD/LBJ were both out injured.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
true, though i do want dwight back. his reputation precedes himself. opposing players are still afraid to drive against him. the same would probably be true of 60 year old Rodman though. LOL!

yinoma2001 wrote:

come on. he was dog doo in the playoffs. He was benched because he brought nothing. He was good for us because of the long layoff. Those days are over. If we get a legit 5 the. sure, but if hes relied on to provide intangibles he wont be that guy
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Let's see if the Bucks let go 4 contributing role players from the team and recreate their team; like Pelinka or if they keep pretty much the same team.

Unless they think this bucks team can’t beat a healthy nets they will have to make big changes. They got dragged to 7.

C’mon man, last summer we saw Rob went younger for AD timeline,
35 yr old Dwight to 6MOY 28yr Trez
34 yr old Rondo to 6MOY RUP 28yr DS
Wes supposed to be the DG clone in a min contract
Drummond was the Best Buy out

Couldn’t close on Lowry trade was a ding

It was a team collapse/injury/coaching/players but I thought the GM moves were solid

They were far from solid. Trez was a horrible fit, Rob just thought he was smart and stole him from the Clippers. But the joke was on him, the Clippers didn’t want Trez back. Dennis was ok as a bench player but promising him a starting role was a huge mistake.

True!

Trez as backup to AD @ the 4 while Kuz was trade fodder made sense. Schro off the bench made sense. Plus at those salaries, both being used to go get Lowry, who had 3rd star cachet made sense.

What didn’t make sense is having a 35y/o coming off a groin strain (that all but voided year 1 in LA) as the defacto starting guard and the only one on our team capable of being a perimeter oriented playmaker.

If we’re going to bring up age in any conversation pertaining to roster construction, start there, with Bron.

Rob needs to do better...he has to do better cause that Bron window is only shrinking.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
hype wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

If Giannis and Middleton are not healthy they have zero chance regardless..

Kind of like if AD and Bron were healthy to start the Playoffs then Rob would be considered a genius for the moves but since our two superstars were injured he gets weird blame for it like DG, Dwight and Rondo would have at all changed things

Yes, if Giannis and Middleton go down, they might not have a shot. Same way as if Bron and AD go down, we don't have a shot. Though, when they are with their team that they have built chemistry with, it makes their play more effective. A lack of chemistry and defined roles makes the play as a team, less effective. Breaking up a championship squad, after their 1st championship would never be a genius move. Even if they won, that would have just been a terrible risk, that paid off in the end.

Will they (can they) keep Portis/Tucker? Not sure and if they let them go it’s the equivalent of letting rondo/green/Dwight go too IMO.

I definitely don't agree with that, but maybe you are looking at things differently. Expound, why do you feel those 2 are the equivalent to those 3 you named?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject:

3 more days till we see step 1 of Robs plan.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
hype wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Kind of like if AD and Bron were healthy to start the Playoffs then Rob would be considered a genius for the moves but since our two superstars were injured he gets weird blame for it like DG, Dwight and Rondo would have at all changed things

Yes, if Giannis and Middleton go down, they might not have a shot. Same way as if Bron and AD go down, we don't have a shot. Though, when they are with their team that they have built chemistry with, it makes their play more effective. A lack of chemistry and defined roles makes the play as a team, less effective. Breaking up a championship squad, after their 1st championship would never be a genius move. Even if they won, that would have just been a terrible risk, that paid off in the end.

Will they (can they) keep Portis/Tucker? Not sure and if they let them go it’s the equivalent of letting rondo/green/Dwight go too IMO.

I definitely don't agree with that, but maybe you are looking at things differently. Expound, why do you feel those 2 are the equivalent to those 3 you named?

Portis closed out Finals games. Tucker too.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Jerry West never had a falling out with Jerry Buss.

Yes, he did, over money. Phil got a $2 million dollar bonus for winning the 2000 Finals and West didn't get a bonus, which pissed him off no end.

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/2002/0429/1375608.html

Quote:
West's sensitivity is legendary and while he did not oppose Jackson's hiring three years ago, it hurt him that after years of loyal, underpaid service, Lakers owner Jerry Buss opened the vault for Jackson with a five-year, $30 million contract. Buss had had a reputation for paying his players but skimping on front-office salaries, which West accepted because he believes in the code that the players are the most important part of a franchise. Jackson's contract violated that code.

There were other developments as well. Sources say it was Dr. Buss, not West, who installed Jim Buss as an assistant general manager a year before Jackson arrived.
. . .
A league source said Memphis owner Michael Heisley has granted him absolute authority over the Grizzlies and made him the highest-paid executive in the league. One league source says the value of West's four-year deal will eclipse Jackson's annual salary.

Dr. Buss was cheap, only paying superstars while underpaying everyone else. Michael Cooper, Del Harris and many others had issues with JB's tight fists. West is from the era where money = respect. Dr. Buss disrespected JW in West's eyes.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, because I'm not Jerry West or the soul of Jerry Buss, but I would need a more credible source than speculative reporting. It seems more hearsay. It could true, but I need more than that article because Jerry West said some thing different in the book he wrote. I would need to hear Jerry West say it for his self.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

I'm in a wait-and-see mode. I really want Rob to succeed. If he does the Lakers do. We need a PG, there are good ones available. We need shooters. There are good ones available. A good GM would fill the voids without gutting the roster. C'mon Rob, I'm pulling for ya!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
hype wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Ok, if you are only looking at it from a finals stand point, I could see where you are coming from. But I'm looking at it from a season long stand point and those 2 would not be the equivalent to those 3. I honestly don't even think those 2 compare to what Rondo gave us in the playoffs, if we are just looking at it from a playoffs stand point.

I feel Tucker and Portis are easily replaced, where as what Rondo, Dwight, and Danny Green bring isn't. I mean even with our season, we seen that without Dwight (and Javele) we had a gap within protecting the rim, when AD wasn't in. Then AD was constantly having to cover; he was being overworked. Drummond couldn't even make up for what Dwight and Javele gave us. Without Danny Green, we suffered from wing defense and the 3 ball. I get Danny disappeared in the playoffs, but he was still stellar defensively. Without Rondo, we lacked a true playmaker, when Bron was out. Without all 3, we gave up a lot of BBall IQ and veteran leadership. One thing I think that people don't really speak about is with Javele, Dwight, and AD, we were getting easy points off of the alley OOP between both LeBron James and Rondo play making.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I'm in a wait-and-see mode. I really want Rob to succeed. If he does the Lakers do. We need a PG, there are good ones available. We need shooters. There are good ones available. A good GM would fill the voids without gutting the roster. C'mon Rob, I'm pulling for ya!

💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
hype wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Ok, if you are only looking at it from a finals stand point, I could see where you are coming from. But I'm looking at it from a season long stand point and those 2 would not be the equivalent to those 3. I honestly don't even think those 2 compare to what Rondo gave us in the playoffs, if we are just looking at it from a playoffs stand point.

I feel Tucker and Portis are easily replaced, where as what Rondo, Dwight, and Danny Green bring isn't. I mean even with our season, we seen that without Dwight (and Javele) we had a gap within protecting the rim, when AD wasn't in. Then AD was constantly having to cover; he was being overworked. Drummond couldn't even make up for what Dwight and Javele gave us. Without Danny Green, we suffered from wing defense and the 3 ball. I get Danny disappeared in the playoffs, but he was still stellar defensively. Without Rondo, we lacked a true playmaker, when Bron was out. Without all 3, we gave up a lot of BBall IQ and veteran leadership. One thing I think that people don't really speak about is with Javele, Dwight, and AD, we were getting easy points off of the alley OOP between both LeBron James and Rondo play making.

Rondo was a shell this year.

Dwight is ok but not amazing.

Green is Green. You have to move on. That 2020 team was a special moment where older players got time off to rest bc of COVID-19. Rondo had a broken hand by March and if the playoffs happened as planned he would not have played for example.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
hype wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Rondo was a shell this year.

Dwight is ok but not amazing.

Green is Green. You have to move on. That 2020 team was a special moment where older players got time off to rest bc of COVID-19. Rondo had a broken hand by March and if the playoffs happened as planned he would not have played for example.

It's wrong to access a player based on them being on a new team, individually vs collectively, on a team that they may fit better, with chemistry. Fit and chemistry, a player is always gonna be better Than them being on a team they don't fit, with no chemistry. Unless they are a superstar. I've been moved on, what is done is done. I just wanna see if another GM does the same as Rob, what I deem as a mistake.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
jodeke wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I may be alone on a I'd like to see the Lakers go after Chris Paul.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Yes, he did, over money. Phil got a $2 million dollar bonus for winning the 2000 Finals and West didn't get a bonus, which pissed him off no end.

Quote:
West's sensitivity is legendary and while he did not oppose Jackson's hiring three years ago, it hurt him that after years of loyal, underpaid service, Lakers owner Jerry Buss opened the vault for Jackson with a five-year, $30 million contract. Buss had had a reputation for paying his players but skimping on front-office salaries, which West accepted because he believes in the code that the players are the most important part of a franchise. Jackson's contract violated that code.

There were other developments as well. Sources say it was Dr. Buss, not West, who installed Jim Buss as an assistant general manager a year before Jackson arrived.
. . .
A league source said Memphis owner Michael Heisley has granted him absolute authority over the Grizzlies and made him the highest-paid executive in the league. One league source says the value of West's four-year deal will eclipse Jackson's annual salary.

Dr. Buss was cheap, only paying superstars while underpaying everyone else. Michael Cooper, Del Harris and many others had issues with JB's tight fists. West is from the era where money = respect. Dr. Buss disrespected JW in West's eyes.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, because I'm not Jerry West or the soul of Jerry Buss, but I would need a more credible source than speculative reporting. It seems more hearsay. It could true, but I need more than that article because Jerry West said some thing different in the book he wrote. I would need to hear Jerry West say it for his self.

It's been out there for over 20 years, and that's not the only source. If ESPN is not credible enough for you, OK, but there are tons of others.

This one from 1998 is behind a paywall https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1998-06-17-9806170041-story.html but it details the Buss/West feud and is from BEFORE the Lakers hired Phil.

Bottom line, Buss was cheap and West resented it.

Here's another (more recent) free article: https://ngscsports.com/2019/05/24/fall-of-lakers-rise-of-clippers/

Quote:
Two things are rumored to have splintered the relationship with West and the Lakers. One was that Jerry Buss reneged on paying West $1,000,000 as a bonus to land Shaquille O’Neal. Also, West and Jackson argued nonstop and led to West leaving that organization in 2002 and joining the front office of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Roland Lazenby also weighs in - the link breaks the page, so Google search Roland Lazenby Jerry Buss reneged Showboat.

[Do CTRL+F and search for "reneging"]

I know you want to hear Jerry West say it for himself . . . but after 21 years, West has bought into whatever narrative he's created.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Quote:

. . .

Dr. Laker is 100% right. West and Buss had a huge falling out. It's been very well documented.

I didn't read Jerry's book. By the time it came out, a lot of time had passed and Buss was old and sick. It doesn't surprise me that Jerry overlooked their previous issues. Autobiographies aren't court testimony where you swear to tell the whole truth.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
epic_ wrote:
jodeke wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I may be alone on a I'd like to see the Lakers go after Chris Paul.

If Chris threatens to opt out and not re-sign, I can see the Lakers being able to get him.
He's CP0-4 to me. But once he's a Laker I'll sing a different tune.
Just like I did for Karl Malone and LeBron.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

If Chris threatens to opt out and not re-sign, I can see the Lakers being able to get him.

Threat: "If you do not trade me to the Lakers, I will opt out of my $41 million contract and ..."

What exactly?

Sign with the Lakers as a free agent for $6 million?

Sign with the Knicks, Spurs, OKC, Mavericks, or Raptors (which are the only teams with cap space to give him a decent contract without a sign and trade)?

Doesn't seem like too strong a threat.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Threat: "If you do not trade me to the Lakers, I will opt out of my $41 million contract and ..."

What exactly?

Sign with the Knicks, Spurs, OKC, Mavericks, or Raptors (which are the only teams with cap space to give him a decent contract without a sign and trade)?

Sarvar would probably be thrilled if CP3 opted out. He’s not worth 41 million.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Quote:

. . .

Dr. Laker is 100% right. West and Buss had a huge falling out. It's been very well documented.

I didn't read Jerry's book. By the time it came out, a lot of time had passed and Buss was old and sick. It doesn't surprise me that Jerry overlooked their previous issues. Autobiographies aren't court testimony where you swear to tell the whole truth.

You should check out Jerry West's book and see what he has to say for his self.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Quote:

. . .

It's been out there for over 20 years, and that's not the only source. If ESPN is not credible enough for you, OK, but there are tons of others.

This one from 1998 is behind a paywall https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1998-06-17-9806170041-story.html but it details the Buss/West feud and is from BEFORE the Lakers hired Phil.

Bottom line, Buss was cheap and West resented it.

Here's another (more recent) free article: https://ngscsports.com/2019/05/24/fall-of-lakers-rise-of-clippers/

Quote:
Two things are rumored to have splintered the relationship with West and the Lakers. One was that Jerry Buss reneged on paying West $1,000,000 as a bonus to land Shaquille O’Neal. Also, West and Jackson argued nonstop and led to West leaving that organization in 2002 and joining the front office of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Roland Lazenby also weighs in - the link breaks the page, so Google search Roland Lazenby Jerry Buss reneged Showboat.

[Do CTRL+F and search for "reneging"]

I know you want to hear Jerry West say it for himself . . . but after 21 years, West has bought into whatever narrative he's created.

Thank you for the information. I heard what was said in the media, the rumors. I felt the same way as you, because the media can paint a narrative. Especially if Jerry West and Jerry Buss aren't talking about it, up until Jerry West's book. He spoke about why he left and it made me look at things completely different.

Jerry West was the one that told Jerry Buss to hire Phil, at all cost because all he cared about was winning. Jerry West was even the one who suggested Jerry Buss have his family running the organization, but I digress, that's another story. He felt it was important for the GM and the coach to have a relationship with one another. That didn't happen with Phil. Jerry West battled with depression and Phil used to torment him, bully like. He was hospitalized based on signing Shaq and Phil. Shaq because of the work Jerry was doing to get it done, Phil because of what Phil did to him. He also didn't respect the fact he was with Jeanie (nor did Jerry Buss).... etc.

When Phil got there, it was a nightmare for him and he said it didn't feel like the Lakers he once knew and loved. After Phil embarrassed him in front of the team by yelling at him to leave the locker room after a blazer game, that was the last straw. As he left the forum, he didn't know what he was doing with the Lakers and doing to his self. He had destructive feelings, because there were different drama every day. He left not long after that and to him, leaving was the biggest relief of his life. He thanked everyone (even Jerry Buss), but didn't acknowledge Phil.

Jerry Buss wasn't too fond of Phil neither, that's why he didn't renew his contract. He fulfilled Phil's contract and that was it. Jeanie and her father had a falling out because of it. She knew her father wouldn't renew his contract and on national TV Jeanie said, when asked if the Lakers would renew Phil's contract "they are not gonna renew his contract, doesn't matter what he does." I'm paraphrasing, but that was the year they could possibly 4 peat. Jerry Buss at that time didn't care about winning, he just wanted Phil gone.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject:

With the AD and Bron injuries, I agree, no matter what moves Rob makes in the offseason of 2020, no repeat. You can not repeat when Bron is far less than 100% and AD is injured by start of game 4 of a close 2-1 series, to the point he can not return rest of the series.

It just was not meant to be.

However I hope Rob learned about fits, and what works around AD-Bron. Not sure if he has, as he is going for Westbrook, possibly. I do not know how much weight I put in that.

If Rob learned from last season, he will find a floor general this year who actually knows how to floor general, and shoots 3s well. He also brings back that physical 5 that allows Lakers to push people around inside and play big at times. There was a severe identity crisis with Trezz-Dennis.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:

What exactly?

Sarvar would probably be thrilled if CP3 opted out. He’s not worth 41 million.

CP3: 'I'll opt in and be fat like Harden last year til I got traded'
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject:

Schroder was a (bleep) signing. I hope he does better this year. Don't just sign anyone and pray for a healthy Lebron and AD in order to win a championship.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 137 of 243
Jump to: