OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Rob is serving up huge plates of STFU right now.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Rob is serving up huge plates of STFU right now.

Huge plates
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Bron requested, Jeannie bankrolled, Pelinka delivered

Grade B but incomplete

Ok, Bron requested WB, just gotta go get him

KCP$/DS$ goes to WB
Kuzma$ goes to THT
Nunn got $5m… this one is a ding, shoulda kept AC for $4m more but maybe it’s the 2 yr vs 4 yr

Need shooters, got Melo, Bazemore and Ellington
Need lob threat, got Dwight
Need wing defenders, got Nunn and Ariza
Need stretch 5, got Gasol

B+

It’s on Vogel now
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Mr. Robert Pelinka...

In my Anita Baker voice....

I apologize (Believe me I do)
oh, believe me I do
I apologize (Honest and true)
Because I know I was wrong
And so I'll sing you this song
And I'm tryna get through
And make it up to you....

AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I hear Rob doesn't know the salary cap and works for Rich and Adele Paul
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Grade A
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Rob with some OG moves in the last couple days. Mamba like!! The couch potato GM's need to CHILL!! Rob is good and will be good. How soon some all forgot the when Mitch would sit on his hands and do northing and then signed two of the worst contracts in the history of the NBA at 12:01... Life is good Laker Nation! Embrace!
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
I hear Rob doesn't know the salary cap and works for Rich and Adele Paul

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject:

rebirth wrote:
Rob with some OG moves in the last couple days. Mamba like!! The couch potato GM's need to CHILL!! Rob is good and will be good. How soon some all forgot the when Mitch would sit on his hands and do northing and then signed two of the worst contracts in the history of the NBA at 12:01... Life is good Laker Nation! Embrace!

I don’t get the doubt. He was an agent to the best players and seemingly maintained good relationships with them.

He knows that side of the game as well as anyone
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject:

I like how the roster is coming together.
I like how the vets are all hard workers and good examples to the young guys.
I like that we got a shot blocker and vertical threat.
I love that almost every non Dwight you got can hit 3s.

I was upset you didn't keep Alex. But when you got Monk and Nunn, I was less upset.
I'm worried about how quickly so many new guys can gel together, then I realized, no wonder you got so many previous Lakers. They may not have been on the 2020 team, but being familiar with L.A. should be a plus.

And I can't wait to see what assets you get with Dennis and/or the Dinwiddie Wizards deal.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Great job, Rob!

Kiss my Converse.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
Pelinka knows how to make moves and string multiple transactions together to completely remake a team..

Which is damn impressive. This guy is a thinker and knows how to get things done.

I barely think of Rob as the GM

Seems like Lebron issues an order (get AD, get Westbrook), and Rob goes out and pays full retail price.

And then Rob wanders through the Dollar Store seeing who will play with Lebron for cheap.

Fortunately, if you have a healthy Lebron and AD, you can put a lot of guys around them and have a contending team. But with Rob, I don't see anyone behind the curtain orchestrating grand moves. He's an order taker.

Each of the past three preseasons I've had the same reaction to his moves: "Well, we'll see if it works out," rather than, "Man, I wasn't expecting that move -- how'd he do that!"

Seems like that's the consensus here. I appreciate the guy. He's made some very savvy moves. To your point: "LeBron issues an order...get Westbrook". My understanding is the GM of the Wizards initiated talks with RP about Westbrook. The next step was James & Davis meeting w/Westbrook to assess what basically was the style of play, and pecking order.

They then meet w/RP to in effect sign off on things. Pelinka's not a puppet. Kobe wouldn't have formed such a tight, career long relationship with a puppet. I'll give the man his props. Btw, take a look at this headline form CBS sports......from last year!

Marc Gasol to Lakers caps Rob Pelinka's spectacular offseason, puts him in front for Executive of the Year

Without the constraints of 2019, Pelinka has built one of the best rosters in recent NBA history......

He's done it again...this year....not just the law firm of James & Davis.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Put some (bleep) respect on this man's name!!!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Just think jerry west has to promise the relatives of players houses on the dl to get them to sign.

He probably looks at pelinka as a younger him.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

BADASS!!!!
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I don't know how this season will pan out, but Rob did a really good job with this off season.
Lurkernomore
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I continue to be more reluctant to profess Rob as a great GM. Many were saying the same things last offseason and we know how that turned out. Before you all say it, I know that injuries played a HUGE role in the season, but if you look at his moves, particularly getting Dennis and Montrezl, letting Dwight go, then having to trade JaVale so he could get Marc to replace Dwight, these were all underwhelming.

What I will give him credit for is creating a team, buoyed by getting Westbrook, that was much more attractive to sign vet mins and ring chasers. Prior to the WB deal, I think the ring chasers would have gone to other teams before the Lakers. Will this work, I don't know, I sure hope so.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject:

This guy knows what he is doing.

Last year sucked but it wasn't for lack of trying and they did have the best record before LeBron and AD went down and they have clearly upgraded.

LOVE Dwight Howard back in the mix.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Solid A on getting Russell Westbrook and nothing after that will matter. If he, AD and Lebron stay healthy, we have a shot at the WCF. If not, who we signed won't matter.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Lurkernomore wrote:
I continue to be more reluctant to profess Rob as a great GM. Many were saying the same things last offseason and we know how that turned out. Before you all say it, I know that injuries played a HUGE role in the season, but if you look at his moves, particularly getting Dennis and Montrezl, letting Dwight go, then having to trade JaVale so he could get Marc to replace Dwight, these were all underwhelming.

What I will give him credit for is creating a team, buoyed by getting Westbrook, that was much more attractive to sign vet mins and ring chasers. Prior to the WB deal, I think the ring chasers would have gone to other teams before the Lakers. Will this work, I don't know, I sure hope so.

Totally agree.

There’s way too much fan boying over dude (maybe they’re Rob Lowe fans), but it’s pretty disturbing haha. Some of you are neglecting that he’s been here the whole time and all the bad deals of yesteryear don’t necessarily fall on Magic exclusively. I mean if dude was absentee, someone was in the office making those deals.

So all that goofy talk about how we’re no longer leaky or tamper free...eh, agree to disagree.

Rob does gets credit for inheriting books that had MozDeng ink all over it. He turned that into Bron/AD. #YouDaManna

He’s also king of the buyout/unexpected FAs.

However order of operations to bring in AD temporarily losing cap space only to “scramble” to bring it back...it was just so unnecessary. And that’s really what it boils down to...unnecessary asset loss. Jules, AC, TB lost for nothing. Clearing cap space for Kawhi without getting a firm agreement with first had us losing assets (and max extension rights for AD) for nothing.

Our future pick flexibility lost for nothing...actually it was for something in AD, but why give up so much for a dude that practically forced his way here. He had his pops dare Ainge and any other bidder to trade for his boy haha. Yet we couldn’t leverage our max cap space against Griff. We couldn’t leverage him to take in #4 as salary aggregate. We couldn’t leverage Griff to remove these restricting deferment options. Like how does that happen when Klutch & Davis fam eliminated the competition.

Then you got Russ forcing his way here...

Quote:
We had a superstar player with the Wizards, he had an opportunity and wanted to be traded to the Lakers,” Leonsis said, via ESPN. “And I was dealing with that as we were announcing Alex. I couldn’t help but self-reflect on what a difference it is. Here’s a great player in Russell Westbrook, played in OKC, wanted to be traded, went to Houston, wanted to be traded, came to D.C., wanted to be traded and is now in L.A. He’s an unbelievably great person and an unbelievably great player. But that’s the difference between the NBA and the NHL, I suppose.”

If you got stars wanting to come to your squad, it doesn’t take a genius to trade for them. Now trading for them without exhausting assets, that would smart. The Russ trade was announced so early cause they couldn’t spare the #22 pick. I mean who was bidding for Russ at the time and with his opt out, he was technically dictating the action.

Anyways, this is LA and now we have stars and now we get ring chasers or players willing to play on a bargain deal.

So kudos to signing them I guess, but I really haven’t seen anything from Rob that screams “best GM” in the game. Not yet at least. I still feel we need a more robust FO and I’ve been saying it for a minute, but that would be ideal.

I mean look at Schro right now and what the rest of the league values him at. That was our proactive big get last offseason.

https://giphy.com/gifs/being-struggle-sneaker-p4cqQ0gUIMcU0
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject:

But I thought no way was Russ going to force his way to LA?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

And the best thing is . . . Rob just puts his head down and goes to work.

Woj crapped his pants when the Westbrook trade hit out of nowhere.

Kendrick Nunn? Career 15 PPG guard in his prime signs for $5 million?

Malik Monk comes for the minimum?

Even the haters in the media have shut up.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject:

We've learned that the FO won't get any credit for positives but will get the blame for negatives haha. That's just how it is. But who really cares.

I'm just glad that the work was done and the Lakers have a roster that can compete for the championship for the 3rd year in a row. Makes the 6 year playoffs drought a distant memory.

Thanks Magic!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
digcom99
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject:

The genius of Pelinka really shined the past week.

He foresaw the market for Dennis Schroder was going to be thin due his ridiculous contract demands. If the reported trade of Kuzma/Harrell/22 for Hield had gone through, we would've had our targeted shooter. But I think Pelinka realized a S&T for DS wouldn't net anything of value...if anything at all, so he changed course.

Therefore, we would probably be forced to re-sign DS. So our starters are Bron, AD, Hield, KCP and Schroder. Not exactly a team that inspires veteran free agents to sign with us, especially for cheap.

Instead, he goes for the big splash and acquires Westbrook. It's a risky move, but Rob knows a team of LBJ, AD and RW is a much more attractive destination than the one above. This gamble payed off big time. We pretty much addressed all of our needs while at the same time allows Bron and AD to possibly load manage and reduce their injury risk. The only downside that I see is that our defense took a hit...but I expect Vogel to do his thing with this team.

Rob Pelinka is playing chess, while the rest of us and the league are playing checkers.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
We've learned that the FO won't get any credit for positives but will get the blame for negatives haha. That's just how it is. But who really cares.

I'm just glad that the work was done and the Lakers have a roster that can compete for the championship for the 3rd year in a row. Makes the 6 year playoffs drought a distant memory.

Thanks Magic!

Exactly, imo he has done a fantastic job 3 years in a row now. Last year didn't work out but it wasn't due to Rob at all, if even just Bron is closer to full health we could have still possibly won it all let alone if AD was too we win by a landslide imo. Last season was a horrible one for many teams though due to the condensed schedule.

He has had to completely rebuild the entire supporting cast 3 straight off seasons and has done it nicely each time with this off season looking to have the most potential of all. Nothing gets leaked, there's been no real drama, he clearly has several fall back options and never seems to make panic moves, he couldn't care less about getting attention etc. as well. To some this might not be a big deal but to me it's a huge factor. All I can judge is how well he's done so far once he got more control after the toxic Magic man went back to just being a fan and cheerleader on twitter again and i'm not sure many other GM's could have done any better?

In two years he will have the most difficult decisions thus far and be faced with keeping Russ, Bron or using the massive amount of cap space to go after a younger superstar to pair with AD. Will he knock this out of the park as well? Who knows but my faith is all in on him personally.

The whole talk about giving too much for AD is pretty convenient to bring up way after the fact but at the time our entire franchise was a complete joke and basically becoming a meme for the rest of the league to make fun of which I think some forget just how bad it was. All our young guys were also clearly becoming annoyed and would only get significantly worse the longer we waited since they all knew they were getting traded it was just a matter of when. It was just an awkward and toxic environment at the time with the media loving every second of it and trying to make it worse. Could we have saved a pick or something if we stayed firm and waited it out longer? Maybe, but i'm happy they just did it and did the full re haul of the entire culture of the franchise from the top to the bottom.

We went from a dumpster fire franchise for a few years even with Lebron that first year where fa's were clearly weary to sign here as ring chasers to becoming the top choice for most players willing to take a paycut to win a ring. A lot of that is clearly due to our big 3 but it's also the full on re haul of the culture surrounding our entire organization.

Schro was also the runner up for the sixth man of the year when we got him and had a MUCH higher value then he does now.. That's on him for massively destroying his own value over the last season. If he was coming off that season this free agency and the Lakers season never happened he would have def. got a huge pay day.

I think Rob had as good or a better free agency then any GM personally but I wouldn't call him the best GM in the league at all, he still has a lot to prove before he can take that title but he's been awesome thus far in my eyes at least.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 140 of 243
Jump to: