OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
Russ - DS = Massive upgrade.
Monk - KCP = TBD
Ellington - McLemore = upgrade
Nunn - Caruso - TBD
Ariza - Kuz - Slight upgrade
Bazemore - McKinnie = upgrade
Dwight - Drummond = massive upgrade
Melo - Trezz = slight downgrade

Given what the options were and money available. Rob killed this free agency. If he can somehow make DS turn into a trade piece and grab another SF/PF athlete with some young legs. It’s a very dangerous team.

You can't evaluate these teams as a whole by comparing players individually. If we play Nets in the Finals, I would be comfortable with our guards (Dennis, Caruso and KCP) defending Irving and Harden. Our defense at the guard takes a massive hit with our current squad. The same applies to the forward position too. How many minutes can Ariza sustain chasing KD on the court comparing to Kuzma's young legs. Oh, and maybe we will see Camelo defending KD?

I also have some different opinions regards to your grade.
Monk - KCP = downgrade (maybe you underestimate KCP's defense too much?)

Ariza - Kuz = downgrade (Ariza is no longer the same player anymore and he is getting older next year)

Nunn - Caruso = downgrade (Caruso's defensive impact to the team is greater than Nunn's offensive impact)

Howard - Drummond = same (Rebound: similar, Offense: Drummond wins, Defense: Howard wins)

I'd say about the same, but really it all comes down to whether Westbrook works out. If Westbrook works out as well as some people hope, then the other players don't matter that much as long as they can provide spacing. Whether this offseason was a success or a failure depends on Westbrook, not Bazemore or Ariza.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject:

I am so glad to have a GM like Rob. A man that has sat on the other side of the table so, he knows how a player thinks and what players want. He as taken the responsibility of understanding that Laker standards.

He is aggressive and does not rest on his laurels. Even when he makes a mistake, he quickly addresses and corrects that mistake.

He has put together a championship team, despite teams being reluctant to even do business with him and the Lakers. Teams actually collude to keep players away from the Lakers and yet, Rob still perseveres. He showed the difference between a man that's willing to grind, versus one who thought that he could be successful just because of who he is ( Magic).

He is Young, smart, and operates in stealth mode. Its no coincidence that leaks about the team and moves that they make, have ceased.

Rob, was Kobe's last gift to the Lakers, please give this man his flowers.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
I am so glad to have a GM like Rob. A man that has sat on the other side of the table so, he knows how a player thinks and what players want. He as taken the responsibility of understanding that Laker standards.

He is aggressive and does not rest on his laurels. Even when he makes a mistake, he quickly addresses and corrects that mistake.

He has put together a championship team, despite teams being reluctant to even do business with him and the Lakers. Teams actually collude to keep players away from the Lakers and yet, Rob still perseveres. He showed the difference between a man that's willing to grind, versus one who thought that he could be successful just because of who he is ( Magic).

He is Young, smart, and operates in stealth mode. Its no coincidence that leaks about the team and moves that they make, have ceased.

+1
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:

agree. Plus think of what he had to fight through. Magic gassing him on national TV calling him things that a lot of guys couldnt come back from or at least would have needed time to let go away.

He never said a thing and was quite respectful.

Just think. magic quit on live TV and on his way out called Rob a snake. The next day all over the airwaves magics posse and loudmouths were all slandering Rob.

The only guy who didnt was Jalen Rose.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:

I agree, he is doing a great job and along with LeBron has made the Lakers relevant again after almost a decade of pain.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject:

This. Dude. Right. Here.

Out > > > In

Schroder >>> Westbrook
KCP >>> Nunn
Kuz >>> Melo
AC >>> Monk
Trezz >>> Dwight
Drummond >>> DJ
Kieff >>> Ariza
McLemore >>> Bazemore
McKinnie >>> Ellington
Cook >>> Rondo
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Magic calling him a backstabber live on air made him stronger
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Magic calling him a backstabber live on air made him stronger

Magic is the GOAT point guard.

Magic was Jordanesque in the front office.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
This. Dude. Right. Here.

Out > > > In

Schroder >>> Westbrook
KCP >>> Nunn
Kuz >>> Melo
AC >>> Monk
Trezz >>> Dwight
Drummond >>> DJ
Kieff >>> Ariza
McLemore >>> Bazemore
McKinnie >>> Ellington
Cook >>> Rondo

He is killing it on the buyout market. Low risk and high reward.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject:

But but but James Ennis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject:

So...... next year LeBron, AD, Westbrook, THT will be the only ones back, another roster overhaul incoming
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject:

If this season is a failure, its on Robs hands more than anyone else.

Also maybe jettisoning dudley wasnt such a good idea?
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Was it really difficult to have kept most of the 2020 Championship team intact? Every season since has been an overhaul.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject:

When do the "Fire Pelinka" chants start. What a failed experiment
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject:

phantasyman wrote:
When do the "Fire Pelinka" chants start. What a failed experiment

Now
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:

IMO, Lebron has his hand in the mix as much as anyone. It reminds when Ingram was shooting a ft for the Lakers, opposing fans were chanting: “Lebron’s gonna trade you.”

Dudley sucked as a player and was taking up necessary space. If they wanted him they could have kept him as a coach.
sogood.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject:

He's out here playing 2k.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Rob is such a bad GM until he proves otherwise. The level of idiocy in the moves he makes is really unbearable. If I wasn't such a loyal, life long supporter, I would leave this team, because it is so frustrating to understand the mistakes he and Jeanie make countless of times.
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Rob is such a bad GM until he proves otherwise. The level of idiocy in the moves he makes is really unbearable. If I wasn't such a loyal, life long supporter, I would leave this team, because it is so frustrating to understand the mistakes he and Jeanie make countless of times.

"Bring back Kupchak!! Bring back Kupchak!!" 😂
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject:

phantasyman wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

"Bring back Kupchak!! Bring back Kupchak!!" 😂

Or a competent GM. He is the president of ball op. Just bring in an actual GM that knows what he is doing.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

50 years, and this is the least attached I've ever felt to the team. The lack of foresight, loyalty, and random stat chasing has left me under enthused and I can barely identify who my favorite player is (probably don't have one). For the first time ever, it doesn't bother me when they lose. Watching this team with their high expectations reminds me of the beginning of Covid. It seems to me this is not going to end well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
This. Dude. Right. Here.

Out > > > In

Schroder >>> Westbrook
KCP >>> Nunn
Kuz >>> Melo
AC >>> Monk
Trezz >>> Dwight
Drummond >>> DJ
Kieff >>> Ariza
McLemore >>> Bazemore
McKinnie >>> Ellington
Cook >>> Rondo

He is killing it on the buyout market. Low risk and high reward.

Low risk and no reward would be more accurate.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Ksig wrote:

IMO, Lebron has his hand in the mix as much as anyone. It reminds when Ingram was shooting a ft for the Lakers, opposing fans were chanting: “Lebron’s gonna trade you.”

Dudley sucked as a player and was taking up necessary space. If they wanted him they could have kept him as a coach.

Yeah he and AD clearly wanted this trade, but I have my doubts they knew the Lakers would offload Caruso.
Not having our defense makes this trade all the more suspect, although right now that's as much about injuries.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

I was the one doubting Rob after our championship season. Everyone thought he must be a genius or something winning a chip in his first year. Now that we get to see more and more of his dealings, we have a much clearer picture of who Rob the GM is. Obviously, Jeanie and I don't share the same view on Rob and her view is what counts. Thats why the Lakers and its fanbase suffer and will suffer more in the future as the rebuilding/retooling need some bright basketball minds which the current Laker FO lacks.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

I know it’s a popular notion, but Bron is not the de facto GM. Like any team with stars, I’m sure the FO checks the pulse of its stars before they make a move, but could we stop pegging Bron/Klutch for the team moving for Russ only to then freeze spending knowing that a move for Russ only leaves about 10m till the tax threshold gets breached (ie Bron/AD/Russ/Deng dead cap hit = 125.8m for just 3 players where the 136.6m tax threshold gives you ~10m to round out the roster with 12 players). To reduce the tax hit, they added 10 players on minimum deals.

If it truly were up to Bron/Klutch, they would have done anything to bring Simmons here (even with our lack of assets), we would have brought Melo in 3 years ago….we would have had a different coach.

Quote:
The reports of Lue wanting to add his former colleague in Boston, Tom Thibodeau, to his coaching staff are also true. LeBron, through intermediaries, has let it be known that Thibodeau would be a huge asset to have on the bench. LeBron’s close associates were gauging Thibodeau’s interest in becoming a top assistant two weeks ago. It would be similar to the role Mike Brown and Ron Adams serve under Steve Kerr in Golden State.

A person close to LeBron has denied that LeBron is pushing for any head coach or assistant coach which is in keeping with LeBron’s “I just work here” public posture. The same person was willing to acknowledge that LeBron has the “utmost respect” for Thibodeau.

https://theathletic.com/964823/2019/05/06/isola-optics-aside-it-is-in-the-best-interest-for-both-lebron-and-the-lakers-if-hes-involved-in-team-decisions/

This is no different than a team that had Kobe/Pau/Dwight probably wanting the triple offense/Phil emit they has GM powers to wield, but instead they brought MDA to salvage the Nash deal. After the fact, Kob supported the move, but you already know what it was, regardless of his star power.

The Russ trade was partly made to sell jerseys/tickets/media regardless of the fit. With the ego Bron has, of course he’ll rubber stamp the move believing he could make it work, as he did by playing point guard with no other option other than Rondo on the roster during the 2019/20 season (again another poor design set up by our FO).

I understand the optics of LeGM help making decisions, but I doubt he’s giving our FO ultimatums. From the coaching search to blitzing Schro (when there was no market for dude) instead of Cp3 (Bron’s boy) from Okc, our FO should be held culpable for our current state of affairs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 142 of 243
Jump to: