Bucks fire Mike Budenholzer

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Bucks fire Mike Budenholzer

Quote:
Yahoo Sports NBA

Verified account

@YahooSportsNBA
21m21 minutes ago
More
Bucks reach agreement with Mike Budenholzer to become head coach, per report: https://yhoo.it/2rNFzKx

Apparently per Twitter he had breakfast with Giannis earlier in the day

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Thu May 04, 2023 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject:

I stumbled onto this thread( as I clearly had trouble sleeping) and am surprised to realize he only has coached there for 3 years(I thought it was longer).
ElliotTheFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject:

Has a coach ever been fired immediately after winning the Finals? I just wonder how good the Bucks could be with a competent coach.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Bleacher Report
@BleacherReport
Mike Budenholzer has agreed to a three-year extension with the Bucks, per
@wojespn
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject:

ElliotTheFan wrote:
Has a coach ever been fired immediately after winning the Finals? I just wonder how good the Bucks could be with a competent coach.

One of the more infamous ones was Jimmy Johnson getting shown the door after two straight Super Bowls with the Cowboys.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject:

To me, Paul Westhead's mid-season (81-82) firing from our favorite club comes awfully close to meeting the "fired after championship)"standard. He'd been awarded the Lakers' HC position following HC McKinney's injury, and the Lakers famously won the championship in his first season. It was magical.

But the club got eliminated in Westhead's first full season the following year. In a short but tight three game playoff series, Magic Johnson's play featured some lousy perimeter shooting and he became the too visible deciding factor in each game. Westhead would bear more blame however and would be fired quickly mid-season the following year, a move attributed to Magic's displeasure with the coaching effort. It would take Westhead's replacement (Riley) two and a half seasons at the helm (82, 83, 84) before his own work produced another NBA title the following year in 1985.

The problems weren't all strictly Westhead-related after all. Magic's playoff shooting form improved gradually. Injuries and roster shortcomings at PF (Rambis) delayed James Worthy's rise to his eventual prominence as a wing. Nixon was traded for what would become the Byron Scott pick, a move that brought the type of outside shooting threat the club would need as Jamaal's career faded precipitously following his injury and illness in the early '85 season.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
ElliotTheFan wrote:

One of the more infamous ones was Jimmy Johnson getting shown the door after two straight Super Bowls with the Cowboys.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason that happened was because he started to have beef with Jerry Jones, not because something was wrong with his coaching. Jerry Jones isn't exactly the most knowledgeable or logical owner/executive in the NFL.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37424110/sources-bucks-fire-coach-mike-budenholzer-early-exit

Quote:
Sources: Bucks fire coach Mike Budenholzer after early exit
ESPN

The Milwaukee Bucks have fired coach Mike Budenholzer, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Thursday.

Budenholzer is out after the East's top-seed suffered a first-round loss to the Miami Heat.

Budenholzer spent five seasons as coach in Milwaukee and guided the Bucks to a championship in the 2021 NBA Finals, the franchise's first championship in 50 years.

The Bucks won 58 games under Budenholzer during the 2022-23 season and entered the 2023 playoffs as the NBA's No. 1 overall seed, but Milwaukee fell in the first round to the No. 8 seed Heat in five games, only the sixth 1-seed in NBA history to lose to an 8-seed.

Budenholzer's decision-making during the series came under question when the Bucks squandered double-digit leads in Games 4 and 5 of the series. In Game 5, Milwaukee had a pair of opportunities to win the game on the final possessions of the fourth quarter and overtime, but Budenholzer elected not to use his final timeouts in either scenario.

Budenholzer acknowledged after Game 5 that he should have called a timeout to advance the ball at the end of the fourth quarter, but he also did not call a timeout before the final possession in overtime and the Bucks never got a final shot off before their season ended.

Heat star Jimmy Butler delivered an all-time playoff performance -- 37.6 points on 59.7% shooting -- but Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo was critical of the team's lack of adjustments to try and slow him down, saying he wished he had more reps defending Butler.

"Out of respect, you've got to let the coach make the adjustment," Antetokounmpo said after Game 5. "At the end of the day, I wish I could've guarded [Butler] more."

During Budenholzer's tenure, the Bucks transformed into a perennial contender. Milwaukee went 271-120 (.693) during the regular season with Budenholzer at the helm, the best record in the league across that span. The Bucks finished with the best record in the NBA during three separate seasons (2018-19, '19-20 and '22-23), but never made it to the Finals in any of those years. They dropped two playoff series against the Heat -- this season and in the Orlando bubble in '20, both in five games -- where they were overwhelming favorites.

Speculation about Budenholzer's job status swirled following the 2020 playoff loss to Miami, but the Bucks rebounded to win a championship the next season. He signed a three-year contract extension after the '21 season, which ran through 2024-25 season.

Before Milwaukee, Budenholzer spent five seasons as coach of the Atlanta Hawks where he went 213-197 (.520) during the regular season but finished 17-22 (.436) in the playoffs.

Milwaukee assistant coaches under Budenholzer have become intriguing head coaching candidates for teams with openings in recent years, including Darvin Ham, who was hired from Budenholzer's staff to coach the Los Angeles Lakers in 2022. Another current Bucks assistant, Charles Lee, is a finalist for the Detroit Pistons coaching opening.

ESPN's Jamal Collier contributed to this report.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject:

I think they needed a change.

The lack of adjustments vs. Miami when Butler was torching them was the last straw after two straight very disappointing playoff exits by them.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Antetokounmpo said the season wasn’t a failure. Clearly the front office disagrees.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:11 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
ElliotTheFan wrote:

I know this is an old post but the Cowboys should have been like the Patriots a decade later. It amazes me how quickly Dallas fell apart; they still had some big stars there for a few years after winning it in 1995. And the drafting after Jimmy left was terrible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: