Will Bill McDonald ever be replaced?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Will Bill McDonald ever be replaced?

Or has he got the job for the next 30 years like Stu? If I remember the Lakers only hired him because Speros Dedes passed on the Lakers. Regardless, who would you rather see doing the play by play calls? I like the Hornets, Heat and Nets play by play announcers in that order. The Rockets play by play guy is buy far the worse.
alohalakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Bill seems to be really close friends with Jeanie, similar to John Ireland, so unfortunately, I don't think he's ever getting replaced unless he makes a public screw up. I've dearly wished that both he and Stu would either retire on get replaced for years. It's a bit embarrassing that a world class brand like the Lakers would stick with these mediocre announcers for so many years.

I must admit that Bill has improved slightly over the years, so that he doesn't automatically make my ears bleed, but I would still prefer him gone. Stu has just been mailing it in for so long that you could just play the same tired clichés as sound clips every game and you wouldn't miss him at all.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:05 am    Post subject:

he doesn't say unmolested anymore
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject:

Stu needs to be replaced first.

The guy shows up to work like he is doing a favor to Lakers by calling the game
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject:

The best talent will want to do NFL games and that’s a deal breaker for LA. That’s the cited reason they lost Spero Dedes. They had an opportunity to pick up Kevin Calabro, but he chose the up and coming blazer squad over our tank squad. That’s the cost of tanking.

Kevin Calabro
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

Always find the criticism of Bill and Stu surprising. Neither annoy me as it apparently does some of you.

I watch a lot of NBA games throughout the season and most times by other team feeds. Many of the announcers are insufferable!

They tend to be absolute homers hawking their teams like a carnival barker or being so one- sided or amateurish with the announcing it is painful. The Nuggets announcers rank pretty high in these categories for me.

Not sure what the “perfect” announcer or play by play guy would sound like but be careful what you wish for. The next set of announcers will likely be even worse.

It is an art to announce games. Most of the “personalities” getting hired by teams around the league have no clue what they are doing during a game.

I’m old, I miss Chick!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
he doesn't say unmolested anymore

Or “Fresh snow from the outside!”

It’s hard to believe we’ve had him since 2011-2012– ten years now. He’s so bad. Joel Myers was so much better. The Lakers organization just showed him a complete lack of respect and hired this clown instead.

Only good thing he’s done is tell Stu to shut up that one time.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:

What’s funny is that it’s not even like he was a Lakers legend or anything— just a marginal role player. I would rather have Fisher or Horry doing color commentary.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject:

I'm ok with Bill and Stu. The other teams' announcers are much, much worse
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject:

Time to bring back the simulcast and have Ireland and MT call the games on the TV side as well. BillyMac should go back to dating teenagers and studio host which was his natural fit not play by play.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

Ireland is a douche and extremely annoying. I'd rather listen to Billy Mac for the rest of my life.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
LGFan wrote:

What’s funny is that it’s not even like he was a Lakers legend or anything— just a marginal role player. I would rather have Fisher or Horry doing color commentary.

I agree. I'd replace Stu first. The guy is just so predictable. When it's a big man, he'll go with his - "One thing we teach bigs....." It's a tired act and so annoying already. He has no new insight to the game.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

how would worthy do in the job? or he's perfectly fine just where he is?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Ireland is a douche and extremely annoying. I'd rather listen to Billy Mac for the rest of my life.

Yeah, Ireland is unbearable. Billy Mac, he's ok. Is he worthy of being the Laker play-by-play, no, but no one really is besides Chick. I actually think Stu's been a little better lately. I don't know if someone said something to him or he was just happy that he didn't have to travel, but he doesn't seem as bitter and miserable as usual.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
The best talent will want to do NFL games and that’s a deal breaker for LA. That’s the cited reason they lost Spero Dedes. They had an opportunity to pick up Kevin Calabro, but he chose the up and coming blazer squad over our tank squad. That’s the cost of tanking.

Kevin Calabro

I'm not a Calabro fan at all. I agree that the Lakers made a mistake in letting Spero walk, but it's their brand and their call.

I remember Chick doing non-Lakers stuff (boxing, college basketball, etc.) so I don't know why they drew that line with Speros.

As for BillyMac & Stu, BillyMac is awful . . . but he doesn't irritate me. Stu is like every announcer who's had the gig over 30 years. Be thankful he doesn't fall asleep on the air like some of the other gray beards.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Kevin Calabro

I'm not a Calabro fan at all. I agree that the Lakers made a mistake in letting Spero walk, but it's their brand and their call.

I remember Chick doing non-Lakers stuff (boxing, college basketball, etc.) so I don't know why they drew that line with Speros.

As for BillyMac & Stu, BillyMac is awful . . . but he doesn't irritate me. Stu is like every announcer who's had the gig over 30 years. Be thankful he doesn't fall asleep on the air like some of the other gray beards.

Don’t overlook Chick’s work on Bowling for Dollars.

Would certainly qualify as “ non Laker stuff”

And as a gray beard myself … don’t judge, sometimes a little power nap works wonders!
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
I'm ok with Bill and Stu. The other teams' announcers are much, much worse

+1
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I love both Bill and Stu. If a game is on ESPN or TNT, but also on Spectrum, I will watch Bill and Stu most of the time, rather than listening to those other guys talk about all kinds of stuff that isn't even going on in front of them.

Of course, nobody is as good as Chick was. For a while, I kept thinking John Ireland would replace Bill, and I do respect his work on the radio, along with Michael Thompson.

Admittedly, part of my bias towards Stu is how often I say something to my wife, after a play, and then Stu comes in and offers the same analysis. Often this has to do with officiating, or maybe just what a Laker or opponent does right or wrong on a play.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Kevin Calabro

And as a gray beard myself … don’t judge, sometimes a little power nap works wonders!

My mother in law (just turned 80) always called Chick "the Bowling for Dollars announcer."
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

The only reason i'm not completely against replacing Stu is purely nostalgia and it's not like there are an endless selection of clear cut better announcers waiting.

Saying that, we are the Lakers and idc if many of the other NBA teams announcers are horrible we should be able to find some quality replacements as it would be a fantastic job for anyone's resume and open much more potential doors then much of the other NBA teams could.

I've been ready for some fresh voices for yearsssss. Looking for the replacements over the last 2-3 years would have been a great idea imo as we are even more desirable then usual being a top contender currently. Stu clearly has 1 3/4 legs out the door and into retirement already, he just says the exact same things over and over and over and over and half the time doesn't even fully make sense. He gives zero new insight whatsoever and acts frustrated if he has to work "overtime" (I get he's half joking but it's not funny after a 100 times). He's already had a good decade of "mailing it in". Time to just move on, it would be awesome to actually appreciate the commentating and not just shake my head or laugh at the ridiculousness of it.

I do agree about them not being extreme homers and I like that but that's def. nothing exclusive. We're once again a top franchise that's also a current top contender, our list of potential hires would be much larger then the majority of the NBA. Might as well use the power.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Our announcers are not very polished. Who’s our new up and coming young announcer? Dodgers did a good job replacing the irreplaceable with Joe Davis…
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject:

I like Bill. He’s a good guy that loves the Lakers like we do. Stu is another issue, but that’s not who the thread is about.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Our announcers are not very polished. Who’s our new up and coming young announcer? Dodgers did a good job replacing the irreplaceable with Joe Davis…

Seriously, Dodgers did an amazing job with Joe Davis, dude is young and has a great voice. He does weekend fox national baseball telecasts as well as football games, I think he called the braves dodgers game 7 on fox last year. Star in making.
Lakers should definitely find a way to keep spero.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Kevin Calabro

Chick was doing non-Lakers stuff before the current ownership was in even charge of the organization, so I believe his seniority played a role.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Kevin Calabro

My mother in law (just turned 80) always called Chick "the Bowling for Dollars announcer."

BROOKLYN! BROOKLYN! 🎳
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: