Thank you MARC GASOL - traded with 2024 second pick to Memphis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 63, 64, 65  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Love the Gasol bros. Best wishes to Marc.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Would have loved to see Marc win a chip with us like his brother did. But last season was unfortunate.

I agree this is somewhat a good move for Marc, going full circle from Grizz back to LA and now back to Memphis.

Thank you Marc, you gave us awesome playmaking last season when we sorely lacked in that department
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@BobbyMarks42: The Lakers sent their own 2024 second (no protection) and $250K cash to Memphis.

We have roughly 5.6m left in cash that we can include in trades.

Also another thing to note is the timing of the Wolves FA signings of Vanderbilt & McLaughlin coming on the heels of the the Gasol trade. Rumor had it that we were trying to dump his deal onto the Wolves with AC. Looks like that may still have been an option but the Memphis deal was possibly more favorable for us. So when we pulled on the Memphis deal, the Wolves pulled on filling their roster vacancies.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for nothing... Marc...
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject:

I’m wondering if Gasol retiring this year to go back to Spain wasn’t the plan all along, and thus had absolutely nothing to do with any disappointment about his role last season, etc.

Most vet mins are signed to one-year contracts. Lakers paid Marc the max they could last season, given their salary constraints, but did him the favor of making it a 2-year contract. I'm wondering if the whole thing was simply a way around the salary cap so Gasol could make $5.2 million for one season instead of $2.6 million for one season, and Gasol waiting so long to officially retire is just for optics. Lakers went along because, after Dwight signed elsewhere last season, they felt they really needed a center, even knowing they would be paying two years' salary to get Gasol for one season.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject:

It’s clear to me the Lakers valued the off the ball threat on offense as a vertical spacer vs a slow 3 point shooter.

I liked Marc, and I agree with those that said he had a positive value to the Lakers. However we also have to look at it from what the Lakers learned from the let down of the changes of going with Dennis and Trez.

One of the things they could have learned is that they much prefer a playmaker like Rondo, a playmaker like Westbrook vs what they had last year. And even with the warts that Rondo and Brodie come with, they are elite at finding the open man. They are not good shooters themselves but at finding the open man they are awesome.

So it then comes down to movement. The Lakers probably through studying the tapes and looking at the big picture saw more potential in having a big that is a threat on the move and above the rim vs a slower big that is a threat as a 3 point shooter.

It can be debated all we want but Drummond and Trez IMO were quite different from DeAndre and Dwight. For one, Drummond would catch the ball up high and do quite a few face up moves. Trez was a constant post up guy or similar face up player. DeAndre and Dwight even at this advanced age just to one thing one niche. Set screen, cut to basket and look for ball around the rim either as a rebounder or lob threat.

Let’s see how it works out. Perhaps the Lakers with AD felt that bigs were sagging off Gasol and doubling in the paint a lot. Now they can do the same but your Lakers 5 attacks the rim off the ball. See there’s advantages and disadvantages.

One thing - by playoffs. One of our starter better be an elite 3 point shooter. Not KCP good, a lot better. We may have to trade for one, or hope Monk develops into that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject:

I had a feeling if he couldn’t wrap it up here, he’d head back home.

LUV YA MARC!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Thanks for nothing... Marc...

Thanks for getting us Pau.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Is Marc's NBA career over? I mean if he wasn't motivated to essentially be a cheerleader for a Lakers squad that was probably going for a deep playoff run how motivated would he be for playing for a team that has no shot in the playoffs?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Is Marc's NBA career over? I mean if he wasn't motivated to essentially be a cheerleader for a Lakers squad that was probably going for a deep playoff run how motivated would he be for playing for a team that has no shot in the playoffs?

He’s done playing, he’s retiring, he wants to be with his family in Spain and be close to Pau
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

He’s done playing, he’s retiring, he wants to be with his family in Spain and be close to Pau

Well and Marc went to HS in Memphis and started his family there etc etc. He has a life there too. Hence I wasn't surprised at all when he went back there.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject:

He'll probably play with Girona (the team he founded) or, less likely, Barcelona (if Pau returns and Barcelona can afford to pay both) next year.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

Marc was washed up last season. I don't see why some here deny that. The reason why he's retiring in the Euro league is because...he's washed up. It's not complicated, and it's not like NBA teams were scrambling to sign him. I'm not sure what this guy's pull is on some here in LG, but it's been very much misguided.

Marc Gasol should have never been on this Lakers team. He's right where he should have been last season...out of the league and on the brink of retiring.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

See ya Marc. Thanks for your service.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Marc was washed up last season. I don't see why some here deny that. The reason why he's retiring in the Euro league is because...he's washed up. It's not complicated, and it's not like NBA teams were scrambling to sign him. I'm not sure what this guy's pull is on some here in LG, but it's been very much misguided.

Marc Gasol should have never been on this Lakers team. He's right where he should have been last season...out of the league and on the brink of retiring.

I deny it because that's not what the data shows.
What it shows is that he was an adequate bench player that played positively against roughly half the teams he faced and negatively against the rest. If that's the definition of washed then pretty much half the players in the league are also washed, which we know isn't the case.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:

What it shows is that he was an adequate bench player that played positively against roughly half the teams he faced and negatively against the rest. If that's the definition of washed then pretty much half the players in the league are also washed, which we know isn't the case.

Adequate center backups are still needed in the NBA. If he was all that you claim, why is he out of the league?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:

Adequate center backups are still needed in the NBA. If he was all that you claim, why is he out of the league?

Because he wants to retire... Which he did?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
See ya Marc. Thanks for your service.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

Even a lot of Toronto fans hated him on that 2018-2019 team that won the championship.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
troy wrote:

Even a lot of Toronto fans hated him on that 2018-2019 team that won the championship.

He declined pretty bad in Toronto. I remember the same.

Name players are name players…until you watch them play…
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

Lakers corrected there mistake of letting Dwight walk, and probably tried to do the same with McGee and to a lesser extent Damion Jones, Gasol was really good when he was with Memphis but he has fallen off significantly ever since he left Memphis, at least Raptor fans will tell you that they got there last best version of Gasol despite the obvious decline in every Impact statistical category.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

You're 100% right Troy...there are a lot of Gasol fans here that disagree and I get it...they like him...but if you watched him play in the bubble, then last year with the Lakers and then on the Olympics...Gasol was nothing more than a slow, nailed to the floor stiff. No way he could have played this year in the NBA and he's not...and to say he's retired is inaccurate because he's still playing in Spain...He's retired from the NBA because he's unable to produce in the NBA.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
troy wrote:

He declined pretty bad in Toronto. I remember the same.

Name players are name players…until you watch them play…

His personal stats were underwhelming, but he had a big positive impact on the Raptors.

After he joined Toronto, they jumped from the 8th best defensive team to the 3rd best defensive team. They had a dramatic jump in assists and 3-point shooting. Gasol was responsible for a lot of that.

He's almost 37 and his game has declined significantly. That said, he could easily get a job as a backup center in the NBA if he wanted to do that. He's a shell of what he used to be, but his size, passing ability, shooting and shot-blocking are still decent enough to get him a roster spot.

The only reason he won't play in the NBA this year is because he wants to go home and play in Spain on the team he owns. I don't blame him. He's got a ring, millions and millions of dollar, and nothing more to prove. He'll probably make the Hall of Fame
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Sad to see Marc Gasol effectively retire, he's honestly still better than DeAndre Jordan. One of the best defenders ever by all metrics, great teammate and high-IQ player. He was a post-centric gritty center who got caught in the 3-point revolution and adapted his game flawlessly. Great career.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Sad to see Marc Gasol effectively retire, he's honestly still better than DeAndre Jordan. One of the best defenders ever by all metrics, great teammate and high-IQ player. He was a post-centric gritty center who got caught in the 3-point revolution and adapted his game flawlessly. Great career.

To me, Gasol has been perpetually underrated. You look at his stats and he seems like nothing special. But then you look at the impact he has on team's defense and ball movement, and you realize he really is a special player.

Everything he does is smart and subtle, so he doesn't get the attention of more flamboyant players who do much less.

He reminds me of Bill Walton. Gasol wasn't as great a player as Walton and didn't have his low-post game, but both were great passer/defenders who created success without overtly drawing attention to themselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 63, 64, 65  Next
Page 64 of 65
Jump to: