Can the Lakers compete with BKN in the Finals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject:

AD has to simply play like a 7 footer and impose his will on the series. Easier said than done but I hope AD comes out with guns blazing. He should obliterate their front line.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject:

KD this and KD that. The biggest factor in this potential series is Anthony Davis.

KD will score 30.....and? AD will be the one that can control this series on offense AND defense. He is the one guy that if he's at the top of his game, he is the one that there is no matchup for.

it seems like the Nets have been crowned and they have not won nothing yet! I watched that team get smoked twice last season by Washington and Cleveland. I watched Sexton and several other players get career highs, against that defense! We have not seen their Big 3 win anything yet.

We have seen Lebron and AD win. We know that they can get it done. and not just win but win in dominant fashion. Now they are paired with another All NBA player, and all of a sudden, they got worse?

The question should be can Brooklyn compete with the Lakers in the finals.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
KD this and KD that. The biggest factor in this potential series is Anthony Davis.

KD will score 30.....and? AD will be the one that can control this series on offense AND defense. He is the one guy that if he's at the top of his game, he is the one that there is no matchup for.

it seems like the Nets have been crowned and they have not won nothing yet! I watched that team get smoked twice last season by Washington and Cleveland. I watched Sexton and several other players get career highs, against that defense! We have not seen their Big 3 win anything yet.

We have seen Lebron and AD win. We know that they can get it done. and not just win but win in dominant fashion. Now they are paired with another All NBA player, and all of a sudden, they got worse?

The question should be who will get to the finals? As we saw last year, nothing is written in stone
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
James Harden will choke. And that can be a huge edge for us.

REALLY?

TBF when he chokes it's usually a big game late in the series. It's something we've seen for literally years at this point across several different rosters so is it really that surprising someone is bringing it up? I could care less what his averages are over the entire series or Playoffs if he's failing in the biggest close out games when he's needed most.

He's still a great player and has more help then he ever has when the roster is healthy so I def. wouldn't just automatically expect him to do it but there's a pretty long history of it that will continue to follow him until he overcomes it.

It's not surprising someone brought it up. It's something he's done on several occasions.

He doesn't have to carry the load by himself in Brooklyn. I think that will be the difference.

I agree with that.. Durant is the one that truly scares me on that team. They can and likely will hang with anyone even if Harden doesn't fully show up in some games. Like us, health is there only true obstacle to getting to the Finals.

KD and Kyrie have big heads. I look for them to clash. I don't think Nash has the wherewithal to deal with those huge egos. When Brooklyn's big 3 are on the floor together Harden will be the calming, guiding force. He's willing to sacrifice his game. Kyrie will be the problem. Chemistry will be the chink in the Nets armor. If they gell they will be a force to be dealt with.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

the jury is still out if nash is even a qualified coach... or just got the job because he's KD and Kyrie's friend. besides, pringles is the unofficial coach of that team.

jodeke wrote:
hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
hype wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
James Harden will choke. And that can be a huge edge for us.

REALLY?

TBF when he chokes it's usually a big game late in the series. It's something we've seen for literally years at this point across several different rosters so is it really that surprising someone is bringing it up? I could care less what his averages are over the entire series or Playoffs if he's failing in the biggest close out games when he's needed most.

He's still a great player and has more help then he ever has when the roster is healthy so I def. wouldn't just automatically expect him to do it but there's a pretty long history of it that will continue to follow him until he overcomes it.

It's not surprising someone brought it up. It's something he's done on several occasions.

He doesn't have to carry the load by himself in Brooklyn. I think that will be the difference.

I agree with that.. Durant is the one that truly scares me on that team. They can and likely will hang with anyone even if Harden doesn't fully show up in some games. Like us, health is there only true obstacle to getting to the Finals.

KD and Kyrie have big heads. I look for them to clash. I don't think Nash has the wherewithal to deal with those huge egos. When Brooklyn's big 3 are on the floor together Harden will be the calming, guiding force. He's willing to sacrifice his game. Kyrie will be the problem. Chemistry will be the chink in the Nets armor. If they gell they will be a force to be dealt with.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
the jury is still out if nash is even a qualified coach... or just got the job because he's KD and Kyrie's friend. besides, pringles is the unofficial coach of that team.

D'Antoni is no longer with the Nets. He's now a coaching consultant with the Pelicans.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

The Nets don’t have any physical players, except for Harden, Griffin and Milllsap. They also lack intimidation in the paint, no length a lesson learned by the Lakers when we got Montrezl. We are loaded with physical players, at Center Howard and Deandre, at PF Lebron, Carmelo and (if aggressive) AD, at guard THT and Westbrook. I think the Nets will learn the importance of having a player that can change shot that may not show up in the stat sheet.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject:

West
Bazemore
LBJ
Ariza
AD

It might be our best defensive lineup against the Nets. I could easily envision Frank closing with this lineup to slow them down or maybe sub Ariz out for THT.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
The Nets don’t have any physical players, except for Harden, Griffin and Milllsap. They also lack intimidation in the paint, no length a lesson learned by the Lakers when we got Montrezl. We are loaded with physical players, at Center Howard and Deandre, at PF Lebron, Carmelo and (if aggressive) AD, at guard THT and Westbrook. I think the Nets will learn the importance of having a player that can change shot that may not show up in the stat sheet.

Our intimidating players are going to change the Net’s 3 point shots? The NBA has gone away from the power game of the 90’s, even a real physical sport like football has become more finesse than power.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Our intimidating players are going to change the Net’s 3 point shots? The NBA has gone away from the power game of the 90’s, even a real physical sport like football has become more finesse than power.

Our intimidating/athletically gifted players are going to control the boards and limit the Nets' paint scoring opportunities. If you do those two things well in basketball, you'll tend to win. The Nets will have to hit a TON of 3s to overcome that.

When they miss shots or turn the ball over, we're going to run our fast break down their throats. Our fast break can beat their fast break because we should be better at defense and rebounding.

No rebounds, no rings.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:

AD was by himself as far as being a scoring threat in 2018
27.8ppg 14.8rpg 2apg 2bpg 48%fg
KD 27.8ppg 7.4rpg 4.8apg 1.2bpg 50%fg

AD the cheat code

lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Our intimidating/athletically gifted players are going to control the boards and limit the Nets' paint scoring opportunities. If you do those two things well in basketball, you'll tend to win. The Nets will have to hit a TON of 3s to overcome that.

When they miss shots or turn the ball over, we're going to run our fast break down their throats. Our fast break can beat their fast break because we should be better at defense and rebounding.

No rebounds, no rings.

The Nets won’t score lots of points in the paint anyway. Your logic was the exact reason why Jazz was stubborn to keep Gobert on the floor when they played the Clippers which was not an effective strategy.

I have no doubt the Nets can beat us by hitting lots of outside jumpers. When playing against the Nets, it is more important to have the fast footsteps to close out the outside shooters and have perimeter defenders against their stars which we lack.

Our transition offense might be better but it is also not difficult to stop. The Nets will tend to play small so they can recovered quickly if their strategy is to not fighting for offensive rebounds.

The defensive scheme to play against this Lakers team is to pack the paint and double team AD when he is in the low lost. If we can hit 3 points shot, no team can stop us, if we don’t, we lose.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Vogel will implement a similar strategy like he did against Miami, that’s starting AD at the 5 so we’ll be more mobile to close on Brooklyn’s shooters. Don’t forsee Jordan/Dwight getting tons of minute in that kind of series.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

I have no doubt the Nets can beat us by hitting lots of outside jumpers. When playing against the Nets, it is more important to have the fast footsteps to close out the outside shooters and have perimeter defenders against their stars which we lack.

Fair point. That's why some of us have been clamoring for the Lakers to get an active, athletic 3-and-D SF, either now or at some point during the season, so that we have the mobility to close out on the Nets' outside shooters.
Quote:

Our transition offense might be better but it is also not difficult to stop. The Nets will tend to play small so they can recovered quickly if their strategy is to not fighting for offensive rebounds.

Not sure if our transition offense won't be difficult to stop. With LeBron and Russ (and even Rondo) pushing the pace and guys like Monk, Nunn, THT, AD, Bazemore, etc. finishing, I think we'll probably be the best running team in the league. The Nets will probably also be a great running team themselves, but by winning the rebounding battle and playing good halfcourt defense, I think our transition game can outshine theirs.
Quote:

The defensive scheme to play against this Lakers team is to pack the paint and double team AD when he is in the low lost. If we can hit 3 points shot, no team can stop us, if we don’t, we lose.

Yes, it will be. Agree fully with this snippet. We need to shoot no worse than league average from downtown.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:44 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Fair point. That's why some of us have been clamoring for the Lakers to get an active, athletic 3-and-D SF, either now or at some point during the season, so that we have the mobility to close out on the Nets' outside shooters.
Quote:

Not sure if our transition offense won't be difficult to stop. With LeBron and Russ (and even Rondo) pushing the pace and guys like Monk, Nunn, THT, AD, Bazemore, etc. finishing, I think we'll probably be the best running team in the league. The Nets will probably also be a great running team themselves, but by winning the rebounding battle and playing good halfcourt defense, I think our transition game can outshine theirs.
Quote:

Yes, it will be. Agree fully with this snippet. We need to shoot no worse than league average from downtown.
Fascinating Points

Thoughts
Nets would probably start faster with their outside shots hitting while they are fresh

Lakers’ physicality will be more effective as the game/series continues that will result in tired legs causing many of their shots going short or shorter

With Westbrook’s multiple “One Man Fast Breaks” (or threat) forcing Kylie/Harden/KD to work hard on defense, again taking away their legs.

Hence, the respective bench players will play a key role(s). Which team has the best bench?

With Vogel’s strength being defense and Nash’s forte being offense, Rob is hoping that the Lakers will prevail at the end of the day
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DLaker wrote:

No rebounds, no rings.

The Nets won’t score lots of points in the paint anyway. Your logic was the exact reason why Jazz was stubborn to keep Gobert on the floor when they played the Clippers which was not an effective strategy.

Or leave the perimeter open for AD and he will naturally gravitate to it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

They were close to league average last season, though personnel has changed. The Lakers were 12th in made 3 pointers last season.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

They were close to league average last season, though personnel has changed. The Lakers were 12th in made 3 pointers last season.

Why would you use 3 pointers made as an argument to try and say the Lakers were average? They were that high because teams left them open regularly and packed the paint. It's actually kind of sad if anything they were only that high when teams consistently were giving them wide open looks and considered it a win when they took those shots.

Percentage was pretty awful from the core players..

worst...

AD -26%
THT = 28%
Morris = 31% and went on to have an end of the season slump thats legitimately impressive by how bad it was.
Dennis = 33%

Our best 3pt% shooters

McKinnie was #1 but hardly played so I don't even count that
Gasol = 41%
KCP = 41% Either an absolute dead eye elite shooter or horrific, you never know for sure who is coming to play (his average dropped nearly half at 21% in the Playoffs).
Caruso = 40% fantastic start to the season only to be somewhere between average to really bad the second half and into the Playoffs.
Cook = Also hardly played

Then you had McLemore, Kuz and Bron all right at league average for the season.

Only time will tell if we improved for sure but last years team def. padded there 3 point stats early in the season and the majority of them either stayed average/bad or fell off a cliff to end the season and going into the Playoffs. I watched every game last season and the team playing at the end of the season and into the Playoffs were def. nowhere remotely close to middle of the pack worthy regardless of what the full season data shows.

We averaged under 30% in the Playoffs from 3 as a team and that includes Gasol's 64% which actually skews it to be much higher then how bad it really was.. Purely pathetic as a team and goes way beyond the bad injury luck. Gasol & Bron were pretty much the only ones who weren't embarrassingly bad in the Post season.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject:

A healthy Nets team should be favored because their 3 stars are closer to their prime peak than the Lakers. Of course health is easier said than done when it comes to KD and Kyrie.

On the Lakers, Westbrook and AD are close to their peak, but neither had the season last year that was at their peak level. However they are at that age where they easily could have a year that is as good as their best in the league.

Just based on age, I think the Nets should be favored, but in the end they play on opposite conferences. There's a long way to go to even them playing each other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject:

Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

Even Though he is older, Who has been more durable in their careers, KD or Bron?

Who has been in better shape in their careers, Russ or Harden? and Didn't Russ just average another trip dub last year, his 4th in 5 years?

While AD has been injured a lot, so has Kyrie and Kyrie has had more serious injuries and AD is a year younger.

Please explain to me how Brooklyn is closer to their peak than the Lakers?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject:

2008 Boston Celtics

21 year old Rajon Rondo
32 year old Ray Allen
30 year old Paul Pierce
31 year old Kevin Garnett
23 year old Kendrick Perkins
31 year old James Posey

That “big 3” was thought to be post-prime. They had a 5 year run, through 2012.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

Even Though he is older, Who has been more durable in their careers, KD or Bron?

Who has been in better shape in their careers, Russ or Harden? and Didn't Russ just average another trip dub last year, his 4th in 5 years?

While AD has been injured a lot, so has Kyrie and Kyrie has had more serious injuries and AD is a year younger.

Harden is at his absolute peak right now and Westbrook is well past it. I agree with you on the other two though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why would you use 3 pointers made as an argument to try and say the Lakers were average? They were that high because teams left them open regularly and packed the paint. It's actually kind of sad if anything they were only that high when teams consistently were giving them wide open looks and considered it a win when they took those shots.

Percentage was pretty awful from the core players..

worst...

AD -26%
THT = 28%
Morris = 31% and went on to have an end of the season slump thats legitimately impressive by how bad it was.
Dennis = 33%

Our best 3pt% shooters

McKinnie was #1 but hardly played so I don't even count that
Gasol = 41%
KCP = 41% Either an absolute dead eye elite shooter or horrific, you never know for sure who is coming to play (his average dropped nearly half at 21% in the Playoffs).
Caruso = 40% fantastic start to the season only to be somewhere between average to really bad the second half and into the Playoffs.
Cook = Also hardly played

Then you had McLemore, Kuz and Bron all right at league average for the season.

Only time will tell if we improved for sure but last years team def. padded there 3 point stats early in the season and the majority of them either stayed average/bad or fell off a cliff to end the season and going into the Playoffs. I watched every game last season and the team playing at the end of the season and into the Playoffs were def. nowhere remotely close to middle of the pack worthy regardless of what the full season data shows.

We averaged under 30% in the Playoffs from 3 as a team and that includes Gasol's 64% which actually skews it to be much higher then how bad it really was.. Purely pathetic as a team and goes way beyond the bad injury luck. Gasol & Bron were pretty much the only ones who weren't embarrassingly bad in the Post season.

Because made 3 pointers are points scored. Average isn’t.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

Harden is at his absolute peak right now and Westbrook is well past it. I agree with you on the other two though.

22.2/11.5/11.7 and a career high in minutes per game is "well past his peak"?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lebron James - 36
Kevin Durant - 33

Russell Westbrook -32
James Harden - 32

Anthony Davis - 28
Kyrie Irving -29

22.2/11.5/11.7 and a career high in minutes per game is "well past his peak"?

I laughed at that too. I’m like “are you saying Westbrook is almost washed “ lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 68 of 73
Jump to: