What docs have you been watching?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Wasn't the Night Stalker also on that show?

Not unless they had a meth head psycho murderer devil worshipper looking for that little someone episode.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject:

Bout halfway into Caitlyn Jenner one on Netflix. Good 1st half on his 76 gold medal. He really had a life.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Bout halfway into Caitlyn Jenner one on Netflix. Good 1st half on his 76 gold medal. He really had a life.
she
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
she

I meant Bruce years only. I'm only halfway thru, remember. She even said when people say Caitlyn won gold, she corrects them and says Bruce did that. So she uses a line between he and she in her life even tho she talks a lot about her gender dysphoria since childhood. I suppose that's up to individual taste/personal pronoun preference. It hasn't been all that long before I started hearing college aged kids in media saying what their personal pronouns are. I didn't know that was a thing til I saw some video on Dartmouth or something. Forgot what the context was, but every kid in the video was stating their pronouns as quickly as they stated their names. It was almost like Pat Bateman saying he lived in the American Gardens Building-West before he even stated his name in his opening monologue.

The first half of that (at least) is very excellent, btw. "Untold: Caitlyn Jenner". Many levels better than the "Untold: Malice at the Palace" one, but maybe that's so since 76 was decades less recent. Highly recommended. I was in a swaddling blanket in July 76 and I hadn't seen 99% of the background that was shown there. It's excellent merely in the sense of a sports documentary and then it seems to branch off from where I left it last night. Gonna finish it now. But peep it if you can. Netflix.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Just watched the documentary about the painter Bob Ross on Netflix. Pretty good.

Quote:
Bob Ross brought joy to millions as the world’s most famous art instructor. But a battle for his business empire cast a shadow over his happy trees.

Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal & Greed
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Watched the Vice series Criminal Planet on Hulu recently. I think it originally aired earlier this year. It was solid if you are into organized crime docs. It is not just the normal NY Mafia stuff....but explore the illegal organ black market....some new markets for the Columbian Cartels, Gangs on the rise in New Zealand, etc. etc.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:

That analogy to hockey fights and how that is just accepted as part of the sport because it's primarily white was spot on. I understand it's different in this specific instance because fans were involved, but the difference in the way those players are treated/looked at by society (hockey tough guys/enforcers vs. NBA thugs) still stands.

I thought a lot about that, and I agree there is a difference. Still, the guys in hockey that fight are usually not the highly skilled or most valuable players, and they are often viewed as thugs or goons. I am not sure what the reaction would be if it was Sydney Crosby and Nathan MacKinnon swinging at each other. Also, in a weird way hockey fights are almost organized by an unwritten code where two players drop the gloves and fight in a fairly controlled environment which does not create any level of fear of panic by teammates or fans because everyone knows they will tire out in 30 seconds and the refs will break it up. All that equipment and being on ice kind of limits any real damage most of the time. Again, I think he has a point....just not sure Hockey was the best apples to apples comp.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Just watched the documentary about the painter Bob Ross on Netflix. Pretty good.

Quote:
Bob Ross brought joy to millions as the world’s most famous art instructor. But a battle for his business empire cast a shadow over his happy trees.

Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal & Greed

Just last 3 daze, I've been watching some of his reruns on YT. His voice I think is equal in value to a half a lude. When he beats the thinner off his brush, it tends to scare me back awake. Wish he didn't do that. It kills my buzz.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Triumph wrote:

That analogy to hockey fights and how that is just accepted as part of the sport because it's primarily white was spot on. I understand it's different in this specific instance because fans were involved, but the difference in the way those players are treated/looked at by society (hockey tough guys/enforcers vs. NBA thugs) still stands.

I thought a lot about that, and I agree there is a difference. Still, the guys in hockey that fight are usually not the highly skilled or most valuable players, and they are often viewed as thugs or goons. I am not sure what the reaction would be if it was Sydney Crosby and Nathan MacKinnon swinging at each other. Also, in a weird way hockey fights are almost organized by an unwritten code where two players drop the gloves and fight in a fairly controlled environment which does not create any level of fear of panic by teammates or fans because everyone knows they will tire out in 30 seconds and the refs will break it up. All that equipment and being on ice kind of limits any real damage most of the time. Again, I think he has a point....just not sure Hockey was the best apples to apples comp.

I've seen two different videos of a hockey player DURING play, taking a boot blade to the throat and an instant quarter pint of blood splashes onto the ice in front of them. Then the player falls down and an expanding pool of blood starts to form.. Same exact thing as if they ran into a machete. The sport has a higher potential for serious injury and death than it derives from those BS fights.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

Netflix has been showing a series of sports documentaries. I just watched the one about the tennis player Mardy Fish. Pretty good.

Quote:
Under pressure to continue a winning tradition in American tennis, Mardy Fish faced mental health challenges that changed his life on and off the court.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81026434
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Last night I watched Some Kind of Monster, about Metallica, a group that I've begun to really admire. The documentary was about one thing but veered over the cliff to become something entirely different. Think of a true, I mean true, non-scripted, guts lying on the floor, reality show. Quite good on many levels.

Lately, I've watched the one about David Geffen and the one about Clive Davis, both giants in the music industry. Lastly, I watched Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love, about Leonard Cohen and his muse Marianne Ihlen, on Hulu. He was successful, of course, and, of course, with women, but it was a his slow and uneven ascent to stardom that becomes the focus. Of note, when he recorded Hallelujah, the record execs wouldn't release it. You know, record exec BS and whatnot. It did manage to finally be released, to work its way all the way up to number 59 on Billboard--that would be the re-release 21 years after the first release in 1984 that did not chart. (Leonard did not have a David Geffen or Clive Davis, obviously.)

Hallelujah. . . That Hallelujah. . . the one H.E.R. did brilliantly on the CNN tribute to 9/11.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I'm enjoying the first few episodes ov "McCartney 3,2,1" on Disney with Paul and Rick Rubin, just started "Turning Point: 9/11 and the War on Terror"on Nefilx.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
I'm enjoying the first few episodes ov "McCartney 3,2,1" on Disney with Paul and Rick Rubin, just started "Turning Point: 9/11 and the War on Terror"on Nefilx.

Yes! I forgot about that one. When they are listening to While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I couldn't help but notice how it sounded different--better. I played my CD and it became obvious how the bass was leveled up in mix we heard on the show.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Watched several 9/11 Docs this past week or so.....

9/11: One Day in America - A Nat Geo mini series - Excellent

9/11: Inside the President's War Room - Apple TV narrated by Jeff Daniels - Good....just a 1st person account from those in the Bush Administration during those 24-36 hours.

Turning Point: 9/11 and the War on Terror - Netflix - Felt is was from a specific perspective....or gave much more of one perspective.....still very good and informative.

Honestly, I kind of regret watching.....just so much emotions all come back. The Nat Geo mini series was just so very sad. Included some very disturbing video that I had not seen before....and wish I had never seen.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject:

I have Blood Brothers: Malcolm X & Muhammad Ali (Netflix) and In the Same Breath (HBO/MAX) ready to go and hope to get to them over the next week. Anyone watched either?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Last night I watched Some Kind of Monster, about Metallica, a group that I've begun to really admire. The documentary was about one thing but veered over the cliff to become something entirely different. Think of a true, I mean true, non-scripted, guts lying on the floor, reality show. Quite good on many levels.

Lately, I've watched the one about David Geffen and the one about Clive Davis, both giants in the music industry. Lastly, I watched Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love, about Leonard Cohen and his muse Marianne Ihlen, on Hulu. He was successful, of course, and, of course, with women, but it was a his slow and uneven ascent to stardom that becomes the focus. Of note, when he recorded Hallelujah, the record execs wouldn't release it. You know, record exec BS and whatnot. It did manage to finally be released, to work its way all the way up to number 59 on Billboard--that would be the re-release 21 years after the first release in 1984 that did not chart. (Leonard did not have a David Geffen or Clive Davis, obviously.)

Hallelujah. . . That Hallelujah. . . the one H.E.R. did brilliantly on the CNN tribute to 9/11.

Still doesn’t touch Jeff Buckley’s complete ownership of that song.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Just saw Ken Burns and Rashida Ali on with Joy Reid talking about their new PBS documentary series about Muhammad Ali starting this Sunday. Just listening to Ken Burns talk about Ali made me want to watch it. One national treasure saluting another national treasure.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I watched The Last Days of Knight and it was interesting to see so many things that I didn't know which happened on that doc. I highly recommend.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Waiting for Muhammad Ali on PBS this weekend. I don't have PBS. I hope my IPTV picks it up.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Waiting for Muhammad Ali on PBS this weekend. I don't have PBS. I hope my IPTV will pick it up.

You should be able to pull PBS off a regular antenna attached to your TV...channel 18 if I remember correctly.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Waiting for Muhammad Ali on PBS this weekend. I don't have PBS. I hope my IPTV will pick it up.

You should be able to pull PBS off a regular antenna attached to your TV...channel 18 if I remember correctly.

I have DTV cable 18 is KSCI. On cable PBS Kids 268 PBSNET 368 NewsHour Show.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Saw two more on Netflix.

1. Inventing David Geffen (2021)
2. Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of our lives (2017)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Just finished a good one, Rush: The Rise of Kings 1968-1981 on Axs TV
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Saw two more on Netflix.

1. Inventing David Geffen (2021)
2. Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of our lives (2017)

David Foster .. Off the record
Echo in the Canyon
20 feet from Stardom
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Just saw Ken Burns and Rashida Ali on with Joy Reid talking about their new PBS documentary series about Muhammad Ali starting this Sunday. Just listening to Ken Burns talk about Ali made me want to watch it. One national treasure saluting another national treasure.

Ooh, gotta find thatn. MUUUSTT...WAAATCH... I've got a bunch of old ESPN SportCentury dox from 2000 on disc and have all the biggies in boxing. Amazing how similar some of their backgrounds were like Joe Frazier and Evander. The last excellent thing ESPN did beside 30/30 (for which both NPZ and LG were in the creds for one of them re LAL/BOS). Most sad and riveting one I've seen was on legendary wrestler Dan Gable. His Medal of Freedom ceremony with loser DT was disgusting as D put the medal on him and walked off. Ucch...

Dan Gable SportsCentury. Dennis Hastert sighting at start, btw.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: