KENDRICK NUNN Officially a Laker Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Seems like Monk is getting the lion's share of irrational hype but I think Nunn will soon become a fan favorite around here. Expecting him to contribute right away and show his worth. Hopeful for Monk as well but very low expectations for him as I think he'll be more Quinn Cook than Lou Williams.

I know being realistic is sometimes the right mindset but let’s not get overly realistic, Monk has the height advantage and has very good athleticism, his offense is on the crisp of breaking through, Quinn Cook is only in the NBA because of his 3pt shot.

I can basically guarantee that Russ/Baze/THT/Nunn will get minutes over him. Then he's competing with a proven vet in Ellington for whatever's leftover. He's not going to have anywhere near the same kind of opportunity he had in Charlotte.

Before we start guaranteeing who's playing and who's not...lets see it play out....One thing Vogel was clear about was that he expects this team with Russ to be "Explosive and dynamic." And between Baze, THT and Nunn, Monk is the most explosive. That doesn't mean he will play but if this team is going to run the ball as much as possible that's a good thing for Monk.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Seems like Monk is getting the lion's share of irrational hype but I think Nunn will soon become a fan favorite around here. Expecting him to contribute right away and show his worth. Hopeful for Monk as well but very low expectations for him as I think he'll be more Quinn Cook than Lou Williams.

I know being realistic is sometimes the right mindset but let’s not get overly realistic, Monk has the height advantage and has very good athleticism, his offense is on the crisp of breaking through, Quinn Cook is only in the NBA because of his 3pt shot.

I can basically guarantee that Russ/Baze/THT/Nunn will get minutes over him. Then he's competing with a proven vet in Ellington for whatever's leftover. He's not going to have anywhere near the same kind of opportunity he had in Charlotte.

Before we start guaranteeing who's playing and who's not...lets see it play out....One thing Vogel was clear about was that he expects this team with Russ to be "Explosive and dynamic." And between Baze, THT and Nunn, Monk is the most explosive. That doesn't mean he will play but if this team is going to run the ball as much as possible that's a good thing for Monk.

The season hasn't started so why not forecast our expectations. Monk is one of the worst defenders at his position and has been inconsistent on offense over his career. He's playing behind guys that are making more money (THT/Nunn), more well rounded (Baze) and have firmly established their roles in the NBA (Ellington). He's absolutely not taking minutes from Russ. I don't see any scenario barring injury where he gets minutes ahead of THT who the Lakers are invested in long term and have been prepping for this role since he was drafted or Nunn who is already proven to be what fans are hoping Monk can possibly become and has done it on a Finals team. Because of all this I highly doubt Monk gets the luxury of 20 minutes and 10 shots per game like he had in Charlotte and I'm expecting him to be the odd man out on a guard heavy roster. This just simply isn't the circumstance for a player like him to have a breakout season.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
King Randle wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
manlisten wrote:

The season hasn't started so why not forecast our expectations. Monk is one of the worst defenders at his position and has been inconsistent on offense over his career. He's playing behind guys that are making more money (THT/Nunn), more well rounded (Baze) and have firmly established their roles in the NBA (Ellington). He's absolutely not taking minutes from Russ. I don't see any scenario barring injury where he gets minutes ahead of THT who the Lakers are invested in long term and have been prepping for this role since he was drafted or Nunn who is already proven to be what fans are hoping Monk can possibly become and has done it on a Finals team. Because of all this I highly doubt Monk gets the luxury of 20 minutes and 10 shots per game like he had in Charlotte and I'm expecting him to be the odd man out on a guard heavy roster. This just simply isn't the circumstance for a player like him to have a breakout season.

Forecasting and guaranteeing are two different things....not saying Monk is going to have a breakout season but he has a good chance of contributing. Funny how some say a player is a horrible defender, but that player can't improve defensively when they're only 23? Kuz was a horrible defender and now he's decent. Monk for the first time will play for a defensive minded coach...he absolutely can improve defensively. I'm not going to go back and forth with you...you don't think Monk will do much I think he'll contribute. Let see what happens. This is a Nunn thread anyways and I see him having a real good year.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
manlisten wrote:
King Randle wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Forecasting and guaranteeing are two different things....not saying Monk is going to have a breakout season but he has a good chance of contributing. Funny how some say a player is a horrible defender, but that player can't improve defensively when they're only 23? Kuz was a horrible defender and now he's decent. Monk for the first time will play for a defensive minded coach...he absolutely can improve defensively. I'm not going to go back and forth with you...you don't think Monk will do much I think he'll contribute. Let see what happens. This is a Nunn thread anyways and I see him having a real good year.

I don't think Monk even has a path outside of injury where he'll even have a real opportunity to contribute much and I outlined why. I'm not just hoping he has a good year with no rationale behind it. I remember having the same type of conversations last year with people thinking Trez would magically go from one of the worst defenders to a plus under Vogel. One can always hope.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Nunn/THT are getting lots of run. Baze fits better. Ellington is lights out and a vet. Russ can play the 1 and 2.

Two things Monk is going to drive people a little crazy about -- his defense and his ability to make a bonehead turnover. I imagine those stick out pretty loudly to Vogel. This will be a heavy teaching year for Monk. Too many vets on this team, the coaching staff wants strong D. I'm pessimistic he can overcome it, but we'll see. They will be in his ear for sure. It's not like he doesn't have the physical tools.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Nunn/THT are getting lots of run. Baze fits better. Ellington is lights out and a vet. Russ can play the 1 and 2.

Two things Monk is going to drive people a little crazy about -- his defense and his ability to make a bonehead turnover. I imagine those stick out pretty loudly to Vogel. This will be a heavy teaching year for Monk. Too many vets on this team, the coaching staff wants strong D. I'm pessimistic he can overcome it, but we'll see. They will be in his ear for sure. It's not like he doesn't have the physical tools.

I think Monk has as good as shot to make as any of the others. If he can shoot like he did last season he’s getting run IMO. He’s has athletic as any of those guys. If his shot is on he’s getting run IMO. In those list of players the only one who shown he can do as much as Monk (Consistently) is Nunn. THT has the tools to be a great player but most of his game is still young but there’s things he does like a grown man on offense. It’s gonna be an interesting training camp. Vogel got his work cut out for him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

I think Monk has as good as shot to make as any of the others. If he can shoot like he did last season he’s getting run IMO. He’s has athletic as any of those guys. If his shot is on he’s getting run IMO. In those list of players the only one who shown he can do as much as Monk (Consistently) is Nunn. THT has the tools to be a great player but most of his game is still young but there’s things he does like a grown man on offense. It’s gonna be an interesting training camp. Vogel got his work cut out for him.

All these guys -- Nunn, Monk, THT, Ellington, Ariza, THT, Bazemore -- have pros and cons to their games. I don't see how anyone can look at these bunch and confidently predict how the minutes will shake out among them. I just hope that out of the scrum, three or four of them play well enough to form a solid rotation.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

All these guys -- Nunn, Monk, THT, Ellington, Ariza, THT, Bazemore -- have pros and cons to their games. I don't see how anyone can look at these bunch and confidently predict how the minutes will shake out among them. I just hope that out of the scrum, three or four of them play well enough to form a solid rotation.

You’re right
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Nunn I think has shown the most consistency - he was a 15 PPG player for the Heat. But it all comes down to defense and shooting. Who can consistently play defense and hit open shots or create shots for themselves and others.

I think we will see some matchup lineups, where one player may get more run against up-tempo teams, or somebody like Bazemore may get more of the SF minutes because of a good scorer on the other team.

You have to account for injuries, back to back games etc. I think most of the guys will get their chance.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

This makes sense to me. If the Lakers were committed to giving Monk 20+ minutes and all the touches he could handle I could definitely see him having a solid year. But that's just not this team's priority.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

It's actually pretty straight forward. For starters, Ariza is strictly a forward so we should know he's not competing for minutes with the rest of that group. Aside from that, teams generally show their hand with their checkbook. You don't give THT and Nunn 40+ million combined to have them ride the pine in favor of someone like Monk. If that's the case, something went seriously wrong with those two moreso than something going right with Monk. You have two players with streaky shooting between him and Baze and one has substantially better defense on a team with a defensive minded coach. And then there's such a thing as a pecking order in the NBA and vets generally take priority. You'd go with the proven commodity in Ellington over the project that is Monk, although this is a position where I could potentially see Monk earning time even though it would be a very minimal role. And that's not even factoring in Rondo who I'm assuming will play coach/cheerleader for the majority of the regular season.

Could be completely off but at least it makes sense to me.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

It's actually pretty straight forward. For starters, Ariza is strictly a forward so we should know he's not competing for minutes with the rest of that group. Aside from that, teams generally show their hand with their checkbook. You don't give THT and Nunn 40+ million combined to have them ride the pine in favor of someone like Monk. If that's the case, something went seriously wrong with those two moreso than something going right with Monk. You have two players with streaky shooting between him and Baze and one has substantially better defense on a team with a defensive minded coach. And then there's such a thing as a pecking order in the NBA and vets generally take priority. You'd go with the proven commodity in Ellington over the project that is Monk, although this is a position where I could potentially see Monk earning time even though it would be a very minimal role. And that's not even factoring in Rondo who I'm assuming will play coach/cheerleader for the majority of the regular season.

Could be completely off but at least it makes sense to me.

You may be right, but I don't think there is a pecking order after the big three right now.

Vogel hasn't hesitated to bench veterans or guys with larger salaries, so I don't think he'll let stuff like that dictate his rotations. I think guys will win minutes based on their play, not on their paycheck or resume.

At least, that's how I hope it pans out. This really isn't a roster of guys who should waltz in thinking their minutes are guaranteed.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I really hope a few guys clearly differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack. I do not really trust Frank in regards to PT and rotations. He was like a yo yo last season and with the roster reconstruct this season, things could get for worse.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject:

It's a long season, everyone on this team will get minutes. They are the oldest in the NBA, that's just a fact.

The Lakers will have to load manage all the starters but Pelinka and Jeanie have built a deep team of veterans to rotate in and out to keep fresh

I hope the Lakers will switch out players like Dave Roberts manages his pitching staff... next man up at a drop of the hat
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here's a nice vid of Nunn giving the Bucks 31 and 6 back in May. He was going up against Jrue, Middleton and DiVicenzo, all of whom are really good defenders, not to mention having Lopez and Giannis on the back line.

(bonus, has a good amount of Ariza too)
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dave McMenamin
@mcten
Lakers guard Kendrick Nunn has signed with Klutch Sports Group, league sources told ESPN. Undrafted out of college, Nunn has averaged 15 pts and 3 ast per game in his first two seasons in the league with the Miami Heat and figures to have a prominent role in L.A.’s title hunt

The most we can pay Nunn if he opts out next summer is 6m (via nonbird 120% price hike).

I doubt we use the ~10m fMLE on him cause our big3 makes a hardcapped condition very difficult to navigate around. However Deng comes off the books finally, so there is a bit of wiggle when you also consider a potential scenario in cap smoothing (see projected ‘25 75B TV deal).

So we could offer him the full mMLE of ~6. 5m at a max 3yrs next summer.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject:

Klutch Angeles!

Soon all NFL players represented by Klutch will sign with the Rams
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here's a nice vid of Nunn giving the Bucks 31 and 6 back in May. He was going up against Jrue, Middleton and DiVicenzo, all of whom are really good defenders, not to mention having Lopez and Giannis on the back line.

Almost everything in that clip is off-the-ball. He can play off of Russell and Lebron.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Almost everything in that clip is off-the-ball. He can play off of Russell and Lebron.

Lol no. He ain't starting on this team. He's too small to be a SG and he doesn't fit with Bron and Westbrook in the same lineup.

He's solidified as the defacto backup Point Guard. And we should be ecstatic about that. He's basically a better and less egotistical version of Dennis Schroder.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kendrick Nunn has developed some soreness in his knee and they found a bone bruise after doing some imaging, per Frank Vogel

Maybe one day we will get a legit medical staff lol.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Rondo's going to be playing more this year than he thought he would and Avery Bradley was a good idea.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject:

smh
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject:

This is bad.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
This is bad.

It wouldn’t be so bad if our role players took pride and stepped up.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Nunn will help when back
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 6 of 30
Jump to: