Steven A Smith opens up on Max Kellermans departure from first take
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Steven A Smith opens up on Max Kellermans departure from first take

Interesting 22 minute video. A revelation about SAS sleep apnea. After watching the video I get the impression he's the only constant. I wonder if that means Molly is next to go?

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steven A Smith opens up on Max Kellermans departure from first take

jodeke wrote:
Interesting 22 minute video. A revelation about SAS sleep apnea. After watching the video I get the impression he's the only constant. I wonder if that means Molly is next to go?

LINK

I was never a Kellerman fan - too New York, too wannabe Hip Hop, too arrogant (which is a lot to say, juxtaposed against SAS).

I'm not a huge SAS fan, either.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I never liked Kellerman either. He seemed like too much of a fanboy - someone who would fall in love with certain athletes and then unapologetically overhype them.

I like how SAS is willing to criticize even those teams and athletes that he loves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject:

SAS sympathized with a wife beater live on air. Then doubled down.

He most recently made two comments regarding international players that were drenched in racism.

ESPN always jumps on social issues when trendy.

Stephen A is only good at one thing and that’s apparently all espn cares about.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Steven A Smith opens up on Max Kellermans departure from first take

Dr. Laker wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

I was never a Kellerman fan - too New York, too wannabe Hip Hop, too arrogant (which is a lot to say, juxtaposed against SAS).

I'm not a huge SAS fan, either.

Exactly why I never understood how that show had an audience.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Screamin' Ass Smith's bangs are now located at the very top of his head.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject:

SAS - Skip was better, more polar opposite, Max is too similar to SAS. Let see if the new combo is interesting to watch or not
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject:

He probably got sick of having to work with SAS

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

SAS is probably the only high priced sports media personality on the network left....everyone either get fired due to ESPN overpaying on sports rights or leaving for another network.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Max was awful on First Take.

Stephen A is also awful but he brings viewers.

I’ll take Skip over Stephen A any day. At least Skip doesn’t pretend and embraces the role of the troll.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject:

The new format is interesting. The debate guests are well-known athletes and sports aficionados. The program also includes some entertainment celebrities.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

I do not like Kellerman....but my understanding is that show as well as their morning lineups ratings have been on a gradual dive for several years. Dumping Kellerman will not impact that trend.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject:

This whole point/counterpoint format is the stupidest in all of television.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
This whole point/counterpoint format is the stupidest in all of television.

And yet it lives on....

Disliked Kellerman from his boxing color analysis days. He had the mistaken belief that people were tuning in to hear his idiotic takes and not to watch the fight. Lotta cheerleader in that clown too.
His firing us no great loss should have fired SAS too and been done with it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

The show is probably on its last legs....this is why SAS was trying to get Skip Bayless back to ESPN to do the show.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

SAS is headed for late night TV. IIRC he's hosted Jimmy Kimmel Live.

I didn't know he approached Skip to come back. Do you have a link?

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/skip-bayless-fox-deal-espn-reunion-stephen-smith-225530613.html

Guess it was for an ESPN+ show not First Take.

SAS already has a couple of shows on ESPN so he's fine....they basically gave all the big money to him
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/skip-bayless-fox-deal-espn-reunion-stephen-smith-225530613.html

SAS already has a couple of shows on ESPN so he's fine....they basically gave all the big money to him

Thanks. FirstTake is tanking and SAS is ready to jump ship.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Show's ratings aren't what they used to be so this is why they are going with the celebrity panel. Also noticed SAS has less of a presence on the show than previously he has other shows like his own Sportscenter and Stephen A's World in addition to his radio show, acting, etc.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Show's ratings aren't what they used to be so this is why they are going with the celebrity panel. Also noticed SAS has less of a presence on the show than previously he has other shows like his own Sportscenter and Stephen A's World in addition to his radio show, acting, etc.

Yep, he's a busy man.

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject:

I went through a First Take phase for a couple years, but then got tired of it and moved on. There's only so many segments on the Cowboys and Tom Brady I can watch. And most of the time you can even predict the segments such as "Did the Cowboys lose this game, or did the Eagles win it?"

I liked Max's takes on social justice issues. He's informed on history and is a very articulate guy. But the chemistry was never there with SAS.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I went through a First Take phase for a couple years, but then got tired of it and moved on. There's only so many segments on the Cowboys and Tom Brady I can watch. And most of the time you can even predict the segments such as "Did the Cowboys lose this game, or did the Eagles win it?"

I liked Max's takes on social justice issues. He's informed on history and is a very articulate guy. But the chemistry was never there with SAS.

It also doesn't help when SAS looks like he's losing interest in the show when he's playing with his laptop during the debates. I'm sure the show is taped early in the morning so theres a lack of energy by the debate participants as well.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wilt wrote:

It also doesn't help when SAS looks like he's losing interest in the show when he's playing with his laptop during the debates. I'm sure the show is taped early in the morning so theres a lack of energy by the debate participants as well.

I think he's confirming and gathering info on his laptop. He's multitasking.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Espn should have went for Shannon instead of Skip. Skip’s shtick of trolling for attention is beyond old. Shannon is way more entertaining and genuinely funny.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Espn should have went for Shannon instead of Skip. Skip’s shtick of trolling for attention is beyond old. Shannon is way more entertaining and genuinely funny.

Shannon and SAS wouldn't work. Shannon is too much of a presence. He would steal too much of Stephen's spotlight. SAS wouldn't like that. Plus he dresses to impress. He'd take some of that notice also.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: