OFFICIAL GOLF THREAD: BREAKING - OMAR GETS AN ACE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject:

The moment John Rahm was notified he tested positive for COVID and had to withdraw from The Memorial:

LINK
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject:

^Not getting vaccinated cost him $1.6 million.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Rahm redemption!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

After thirty five years of trying, when I least expected it, Omar got an ace!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

You sure did!

And then you got lucky again when the clubhouse was only half full!

Congratulations and thanks for the drinks!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

That is bad ass!

I need details....course, which hole, distance, club selection.

That has to be a rush, I have hit a few that hit the pin at high rates of speed and others that have cozied up close. but never a hole in one outside of miniature golf where I once shot a 31 at Mulligan's in Harbor City, CA.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:31 am    Post subject:

That's awesome, Omar, congrats! The closest I've ever come was at Heartwell Park in Long Beach, that par-3 course. There's a really short hole on the back 9, I think #12, that's about 65-70 yards or so. I hit a little wedge to about 6 inches there once. Closest I've ever come. My dad, who is 79 and still plays to about a 10-12 handicap and who has played golf pretty much weekly for 45 years, has exactly one hole-in-one to his name. They aren't easy to get!
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

Was this the hole with the windmill or one of the others?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Just an amazing duel today between Patrick Cantlay and Bryon DeChambeau.

The level of play on the PGA Tour is just absurd, it has never been better in my opinion, they are fantastic.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject:

Bryson is an absolute ...

So glad he lost and basically choked on 4-5 holes where he could have closed. Cantlay seems like a likeable guy.

Very happy with the outcome.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

What a Ryder cup by the USA...handed Europe a 19-9 drubbing and it was never in doubt.

Dustin Johnson with a 5-0 record is pretty useful.

Morikawa is also a young stone cold killer on the golf course, he is amazing.

The whole team was bad ass. Europe will be salty when the USA visits in two years.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
What a Ryder cup by the USA...handed Europe a 19-9 drubbing and it was never in doubt.

Dustin Johnson with a 5-0 record is pretty useful.

Morikawa is also a young stone cold killer on the golf course, he is amazing.

The whole team was bad ass. Europe will be salty when the USA visits in two years.

All those non-concession putts by the Euros probably bit them in the butt—Lit a fire under the US team.

There were some pretty great moments. Spieth's vertical shot from the base of that eight foot wall of an embankment . . . Bryson's eagle on the 4 par . . .

And Morikawa is the real deal. He's going to be a future number one I think.

And I always love watching golf on a true links style course. It reminds me of being a little kid following my grandfather around on the Scottish courses and sneaking on to the Pebble Beach courses in high school. I got to play Chambers Bay a few weeks ago and loved it. It's tough and clearly designed to make you work for your scores, but I love playing links style courses.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject:

So Phil really stepped in the (bleep) and might have ended any chances of the Super Golf League actually making it. Now he's doing the non-apology apology thing and hopefully it's too little too late. There's no apologizing for literally saying that your own personal greed is more important than the state sanctioned murder and torture that the Saudi's engage in. He's lost his main sponsor, and may lose more. Phil is certainly a golfer whose skill I admired and he can be entertaining. But his comments revealed him to be morally a POS. I know he (and others) has beef with the PGA, and it may be deserved. But stating that you're OK with a tour run by the Saudi's over the PGA is absurd. And those comments seem to have cemented it for other golfers to reject the SGL.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
So Phil really stepped in the (bleep) and might have ended any chances of the Super Golf League actually making it. Now he's doing the non-apology apology thing and hopefully it's too little too late. There's no apologizing for literally saying that your own personal greed is more important than the state sanctioned murder and torture that the Saudi's engage in. He's lost his main sponsor, and may lose more. Phil is certainly a golfer whose skill I admired and he can be entertaining. But his comments revealed him to be morally a POS. I know he (and others) has beef with the PGA, and it may be deserved. But stating that you're OK with a tour run by the Saudi's over the PGA is absurd. And those comments seem to have cemented it for other golfers to reject the SGL.

Yes, and other golfers have come out against Phil pretty hard, some publicly and some behind the scenes (where they leaked comments anonymously).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject:

What'd he say originally?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yes, and other golfers have come out against Phil pretty hard, some publicly and some behind the scenes (where they leaked comments anonymously).

Yeah, Rory came at him pretty hard for one.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
What'd he say originally?

Basically that it didn’t matter to him that the Saudis running the league He wanted to jump to murdered Khashoggi and that the government routinely engages in torturing its citizens. As long as he was making money for a league that wasn’t the PGA, he was fine.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Phil about as popular as Vlad Putin right about now....
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Fred Couples optimistic Tiger Woods will play in Masters after their practice round at Augusta National

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Just after Tiger Woods made his way to the putting practice area near the first tee at Augusta National Golf Club on Monday, two security guards tried to clear a path through the patrons.

"Excuse us, a player is coming through," one of the security guards said.

It was defending Masters champion Hideki Matsuyama -- and hardly anyone noticed him among the thousands of fans surrounding the putting green and No. 1 tee box.

Woods, a five-time Masters champion, was the center of attention during Monday's practice rounds. The 15-time major champion hasn't played in a PGA Tour event in more than 17 months, after suffering serious injuries in a February 2021 car wreck. He told reporters in December that doctors nearly amputated his right leg.

During his practice round with Justin Thomas and Fred Couples on Monday, patrons might have hardly noticed Woods' very slight limp, which is more like a hitch in his step, if they didn't know about his previous injuries. The threesome played the first nine holes in a little more than two and a half hours.

"He's kind of a tough guy," Couples said. "He's never going to let you know he's in pain. He looked good walking. You can always be in pain, but to hit it like that, now it's just the walking part. If he can walk around here for 72 holes, he'll contend. He's too good."

Barring a setback over the next couple of days, Couples, one of Woods' closest friends, believes Woods will play when the 86th Masters begins on Thursday.

"I hope everything keeps going Tuesday and Wednesday, and I'm sure he's going to tee it up Thursday," Couples said.

Golf fans are certainly excited to see Woods back on the course. When Woods hit his drive on the first hole on Monday, there were thousands of fans lining the fairway from the tee box to the green. It looked more like galleries that would be following the final groups at Augusta National on a Saturday or a Sunday, instead of a nine-hole practice round on a Monday.

Woods, 46, hit five out of seven fairways and five of nine greens (he just missed hitting one fairway and was on the back fringe of greens on two par-3s). He didn't seem too concerned about trying to make putts, instead taking time to read lines from different areas of the greens.

"He looked phenomenal," Couples said. "What impressed me the most is he was bombing it. I know JT's not the longest hitter on tour, but I know he's damn long. He was with him, flushing it."

Like most, Couples seemed surprised that Woods was back playing at a major championship so soon after his accident. Couples said he had planned to travel to Florida to play with Woods a couple of months ago.

"I was going to Florida for me," Couples said. "I was going there to work with him and have him watch me play because he had never mentioned anything. Then one day, he said, 'You know, I've got to start sometime. I've got to start walking and playing.'"

Couples watched the now-deleted video of Woods walking at his home course, Medalist Golf Club in Hobe Sound, Florida, more than a week ago.

"I don't call him and say, 'Oh, you snuck out and played and walked at the Medalist,'" Couples said. "That's not how we work. I love him as one of my best friends, and I want to damn keep it that way. I don't pry into anything he does. Most of the texts were about his kids. Charlie got fitted for new clubs, his daughter's [World Golf Hall of Fame] speech and his daughter [Sam] playing soccer. Then all of [a] sudden, he said, 'I'm going to go to Augusta.'"

On Sunday night, Couples said he got a text message from Woods inviting him to play a practice round the next day.

"I have a back issue," Couples said. "I've worked on it since I was in my 30s. What he had was back issues, a few operations and then a horrific car accident. So, he's the first to tell you, 'I'm lucky to be alive, lucky to be with my kids,' and now he's playing.

"I don't know the right word. It's not shocking because he's the greatest player to ever play. You give him a couple of good minutes, you give him a couple of good legs, and he swings like this. Now comes the walking part of it. I'm not going to guesstimate. I watched him today and he looked phenomenal."

Couples, the 1992 Masters champion, isn't the only PGA Tour player glad to see Woods back at the Masters.

"I'm happy he's becoming healthier and able to play golf," Brooks Koepka said. "We need him, the game needs him, everybody needs him, the fans need him -- all that stuff."

Koepka missed the cut at the 2021 Masters, about a month after he had surgery to repair a dislocated kneecap and torn ligament in his right knee.

"Look, I was in somewhat of his shoes trying last year two weeks after surgery," Koepka said. "This place isn't exactly an easy walk. I understand what he's up against. It'll be difficult. But if anybody can do it, it's him."

Webb Simpson, a seven-time winner on the PGA Tour, said Woods will be a contender to win a sixth green jacket if he plays this week.

"Anytime anybody asks me if can Tiger contend, the answer is yes," Simpson said. "Just an amazing will inside of him, whether he's hurt or sick or struggling with his golf swing or whatever it is. So it's really cool that he's making this week the push to come back after that car wreck. I hope he tees it up Thursday."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Tiger would be there going through the motions if he wasn't feeling genuinely ready to give it a shot. I think the "Game Time Decision" tweet over the weekend was safety measure just in case something wasn't coming together physically and is unable to tee off on Thursday. I'm excited for the possibility. The whole idea of Woods competing boosts the excitement of any event, but that is tenfold when it's a major.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I don't think Tiger would be there going through the motions if he wasn't feeling genuinely ready to give it a shot. I think the "Game Time Decision" tweet over the weekend was safety measure just in case something wasn't coming together physically and is unable to tee off on Thursday. I'm excited for the possibility. The whole idea of Woods competing boosts the excitement of any event, but that is tenfold when it's a major.

I am excited for The Masters in any year, but this year? Wow, if Tiger comes back and tees it up at The Masters, that will be a very impressive feat. I hope he does.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I am excited for The Masters in any year, but this year? Wow, if Tiger comes back and tees it up at The Masters, that will be a very impressive feat. I hope he does.

Don't care for golf much at all but if Tiger plays, I tune in to watch him. It's just different watching him versus everyone else for a casual like me.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject:

If Tiger won, he would top himself with the 2019 effort. It would be unbelievable.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject:

This is a Monday "Tiger Crowd"
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Tiger Woods says 'as of right now' he plans to play in Masters

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Tiger Woods says, for now anyway, that he's planning to play this week in the Masters.

The five-time champion at Augusta National made the announcement Tuesday morning. He will play nine more practice holes on Wednesday before making a final decision but will be doing so with the intention of playing Thursday.

"As of right now," Woods said, "I feel like I'm going to play."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 16 of 33
Jump to: