Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
JROC breaks down film on Westbrook's Defense: Shows how he disrupts the opposing offense with his elite athleticism and footwork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSX1NrSYC0U

Considering he will not have to carry the team like a franchise point guard, and he should in theory have a lot more energy to give on D, this is maybe the most overlooked part of getting Westbrook. He is not known for elite defense, but the tools are there. Just in comparison to Dennis, he if bigger and has more wingspan. You can switch Westbrook on some match ups. 6'8 wingspan, strong guy and very athletic. Tough.

He has to buy in as a defender.

He came into the league as a defender I don’t know what happened but he shifted to offense. I think it’s only natural that he picks up his defense being with Lebron AD and Frank.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

Got this feeling that Russ is going to crush it this season. This will be his “revenge season” imo for all the criticism he takes.

He hasn’t played with elite physical forces like Lebron and AD. The attention they command is going to feel like basketball freedom for Russ.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject:

It feels like Russ is going to have a bit of that Byron “how you like me now” to his season.

Playing in his hometown with good friends Bron and Davis, with KD and Harden on the primary challengers to his first ring, “Crosstown” you have George who ditched him in OKC after Kawhi flipped the script, down the I-10 you have the guy he was traded for in CP3, his competitive rivalry with Lillard and Curry, it’s made for TV drama.

Vogel is the best coach Russ has ever played for, and the Lakers provide a platform unlike anything he has experienced. It really could be a year where Russ pivots the narrative in his career.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Ja Morant has Russell Westbrook in his top 5 PG in the NBA list
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Anyone who doesn’t has to get the side eye
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Anyone who doesn’t has to get the side eye

Has there ever been a more disrespected former MVP, within four years of them winning the award?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

Russ already dishing out assists for us.

Quote:
In the two months that followed their first-round playoff flop against Phoenix, when Davis’ groin injury left them pulling up lame, the Lakers explored the prospect of trading for such stars as Damian Lillard, Bradley Beal, DeMar DeRozan and Russell Westbrook. The process unfolded well beyond the team’s front office’s search, with James setting up a war room of his own at his Brentwood estate for some in-person player meetings while leading remote communications in other conversations.

Those talks and others led the Lakers to the conclusion that the truculent Westbrook was the best solution on the board. A former league MVP, he checked the superstar box, and as a dynamic playmaker he would help ease the burden on James. It wasn’t hard to sell Westbrook on the vision. A former UCLA star who had grown up celebrating Lakers championships at the parades on Figueroa Street, Westbrook was all in.

After weeks of conversation with James, Davis and then-Lakers forward Jared Dudley, who emerged as a sort of consigliere to the Lakers’ superstars in these meetings, Westbrook believed he was on his way to L.A. For years he had angled to get home, and now everything was lining up for it to finally happen.

There was only one problem: The Lakers’ efforts to complete the fairytale had been repeatedly stymied by the Wizards’ refusal to make Westbrook available because, sources said, they still planned on moving forward with the Westbrook-Beal backcourt. Westbrook, for his part, would have played out the remaining two seasons on his deal if a trade hadn’t materialized.

“No one thought that Russ would get out,” said one source close to the discussions.

So by the morning of the NBA Draft on July 29, with seemingly no trade for Westbrook available, Rob Pelinka, the Lakers vice president of basketball operations and general manager, appeared to have no choice but to move on. The Lakers’ brass had spent considerable time on a backup plan to net Sacramento’s 28-year-old marksman Buddy Hield. He addressed the team’s shooting needs if not exactly their thirst for another star.

That day, a telltale moment occurred: Westbrook received a tip. Not only could the Lakers not break through with the Wizards, but also they were on the cusp of trading Kyle Kuzma and Montrezl Harrell — players whose salaries would be required to execute a Westbrook trade — to the Kings for Hield.

“That set Russ off,” one source said. “All he wanted, by any means, was to be a Laker.

Westbrook had been telling those around him for weeks that he was finally coming home, but now those dreams seemed to be slipping away. So shortly before noon on July 29, he asked his billionaire boss, Ted Leonsis, for a personal favor: Find a way for him to land with the Lakers. That passionate plea set off a chain of events that resulted in the Lakers assembling one of the most star-laden and veteran teams in league history.

“(Westbrook) took control of his situation,” one involved source said.

https://theathletic.com/2848702/2021/09/27/superstar-shopping-lebron-russell-westbrook-and-the-lakers-summer-of-recruiting/

laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject:

At UCLA Russ was recruited more for his defense than offense.

Westbrook has to get back to his roots and do the things he is good at.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/b0ardnigga/status/1443026702733492224?s=21

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Makes getting Westbrook even more awesome because it’s tough to get superstar talent without that player holding leverage and we got him for a bunch of solid role players and a 1st round pick.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
JROC breaks down film on Westbrook's Defense: Shows how he disrupts the opposing offense with his elite athleticism and footwork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSX1NrSYC0U

Considering he will not have to carry the team like a franchise point guard, and he should in theory have a lot more energy to give on D, this is maybe the most overlooked part of getting Westbrook. He is not known for elite defense, but the tools are there. Just in comparison to Dennis, he if bigger and has more wingspan. You can switch Westbrook on some match ups. 6'8 wingspan, strong guy and very athletic. Tough.

He has to buy in as a defender.

He came into the league as a defender I don’t know what happened but he shifted to offense. I think it’s only natural that he picks up his defense being with Lebron AD and Frank.

Here's a quote from a pre-draft write up about him...

Quote:
Defensively, Westbrook is nothing short of outstanding, as evidenced by the phenomenal work he did locking down the three top scoring guards in the Pac-10 this season, O.J. Mayo, Jerryd Bayless, and James Harden. He is long, strong and very fundamentally sound, getting into a terrific defensive stance on every possession, moving his feet incredibly well, and being absolutely tenacious getting after his matchup.

I was looking up some old articles and opinions on him back in his early OKC days and I seen them mention how his defense caused problems for the opposition in the Playoffs and regular season multiple times.. I'm not sure the exact year(s) it started happening but I noticed by at least years 6-8 his defense was suddenly getting more and more suspect from a few articles I read. He obviously became a vastly superior offensive player then most predicted when he came out so I believe like most Superstar guards/wings who are asked to play heavy minutes and dominate the ball offensively he just simply couldn't expend as much energy on the defensive end so he slipped more and more on that end as years went by.

He 100% still has the iq, body and athleticism to cause havoc on that end so now that he will probably have the least amount of offensive responsibilities since those early OKC days can he channel back into a defensive menace again? I think so! I don't expect him to become the top defensive guard in the NBA or anything crazy obviously since he will still have plenty to do offensively and is not super young anymore but no question in my mind he will be much better then the last 4-5 years.

I def. don't expect him to be a liability defensively at all like some do especially with Vogel and AD in his ear. I think this rosters Practice's are going to be more competitive/brutal then a lot of the actual games they play throughout the season which will just ignite the entire roster to step up on both ends but especially defensively.

I also love seeing that quote about him saying "Hell No" to the Clippers
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
DB hit it on the nail in my opinion with his comment on shot selection.

The issue isn't actually his shooting form, it is his shot selection and this team doesn't need him to be a high volume chucker....if he plays to his strengths (and I think he is highly motivated to do just that) this is an absolute steal for the Lakers.

Was it DB, or someone else?

You know you are my guy Pac!

I thought DB went on that thought earlier too...I agree with you both (lol) that if Westbrook gets his mind in the right place and plays to his strengths...he could be a real force towards a title this season. He knows this I believe also.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject:

WB gonna make the Hall, obviously. What kind of resume would he need to put together to get jersey retired by team? Five years of quality production, perhaps with Trip-Dub yr, plus 2 titles? Wouldn't that be something eh?

For LBJ, one title might be good enough based on his stature historically for the entire league. Similar to how Bucs will likely retire Brady's number if he never played another game for them. Both guys to set new statistical standards wearing their current jerseys too, so clear locks.

AD has enough time to put together 10 yrs with enough stats plus team accomplishments to get the honor. An MVP with another title would make him near lock.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:42 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
WB gonna make the Hall, obviously. What kind of resume would he need to put together to get jersey retired by team? Five years of quality production, perhaps with Trip-Dub yr, plus 2 titles? Wouldn't that be something eh?

For LBJ, one title might be good enough based on his stature historically for the entire league. Similar to how Bucs will likely retire Brady's number if he never played another game for them. Both guys to set new statistical standards wearing their current jerseys too, so clear locks.

AD has enough time to put together 10 yrs with enough stats plus team accomplishments to get the honor. An MVP with another title would make him near lock.

LBJ is 100% a lock already especially how he put the entire Lakers franchise on his back after the colossal tragedy of losing Kobe and went on to win the Championship as well. That season will be remembered as one of the saddest but most proud years in Lakers history imo with how that team dealt with it and the entire pandemic to ultimately overcome it all.

AD probably is as well but as long as he plays with us a few more years I see him being in the same boat.. If he gets another championship then it's not even a debate anymore.

WB i'd say needs 2 Championships like you said and he'll likely get one as well since he's a bit older and probably wont have a chance to build a big resume as a top option like AD. I'm hoping all 3 get in and it means we're stomping out the Celtics and getting a tiny bit of breathing room in the trophy count.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

😂
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject:

I’m still laughing today at that exchange…

Wizards GM: What about the Clippers?

Russ: Hell No!

I guess that’s karma for Kawhi for doing Russ dirty, now he gets Bledsoe. I’ll take Russ to Lakers and Bledsoe to Clippers everytime.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers' Russell Westbrook vows to push Anthony Davis 'every single night'

Quote:
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Following their first official practice together as teammates, Russell Westbrook dubbed Anthony Davis as "the ultimate weapon" and vowed to maximize the big man's impact for the Los Angeles Lakers this season.

"He's one of a kind," Westbrook said of Davis on Wednesday. "There's nobody like him who can do everything he's able to do at his size. And my job is to make sure I continue to push him each day, each practice, each game, so he can be at the top of his game each and every night."

LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Los Angeles Lakers' Russell Westbrook vows to push Anthony Davis 'every single night'

Quote:
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Following their first official practice together as teammates, Russell Westbrook dubbed Anthony Davis as "the ultimate weapon" and vowed to maximize the big man's impact for the Los Angeles Lakers this season.

"He's one of a kind," Westbrook said of Davis on Wednesday. "There's nobody like him who can do everything he's able to do at his size. And my job is to make sure I continue to push him each day, each practice, each game, so he can be at the top of his game each and every night."

My goodness those words are music to my ears. Anthony Davis, like so many greats, needs a balance for his somewhat passive nature. LeBron, and even Rondo, are super intelligent to know that they have to push AD to bring that greatness out of him.

Westbrook is a whole different level of "push" than most guys. It'll be great for the team to see AD absolutely f'n dominate more frequently than just giving us good stats.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
32 wrote:

Quote:

My goodness those words are music to my ears. Anthony Davis, like so many greats, needs a balance for his somewhat passive nature. LeBron, and even Rondo, are super intelligent to know that they have to push AD to bring that greatness out of him.

Westbrook is a whole different level of "push" than most guys. It'll be great for the team to see AD absolutely f'n dominate more frequently than just giving us good stats.

Westbrook = Reverse load management

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Not sure Russ will average triple double this year... Just too many rebounders and other ball handlers on this team. But I think he will put up 20/7/7 at 45% fg and 33% from 3 this year.

I also see Lebron average to drop below 25ppg for the first time since his rookie year.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

For the 2012 Olympic team he took over Kobe's defensive role from the 2008 Olympic team. He'd go and harass the opposing squads best guard.
https://tinyurl.com/2us2bbb5

Now that he won't have the highest usage rate in the league , while averaging triple doubles. Of course he'll be a great defender for us. Add on top of that, the reffing changes helping out defenders this year. It's a no-brainer.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

Ex-teammates of Russ are showing him love (spunler alert: check the 0:50 mark of the YouTube vid out for some potential buyoutSZN fun). Rumor even has it, KD sent dude purple & gold frosted cupcakes after the trade to the Lakers was announced.

Quote:
The latest report, from The Athletic, was that before Russell Westbrook asked for a trade to the Lakers, he tried to to convince his backcourt mate to also ask out of Washington, to which Beal graciously declined. “This happens every year. Players are gonna talk, and Russ decided he was gonna do what was best for him and his family and I wasn’t there,” Beal told reporters Monday. “I wasn’t in the same headspace he was. And it was a respectable decision. I love Russ to death, we had a great conversation leading up to it, many great conversations leading up to it and he made a decision that was best for him. We were in a place of limbo for a minute. We didn’t have a coach, we didn’t know what was going on, it was a little rocky. Him going into his 14th year, he’s looking like his time is ticking so he wants to be on a championship-contending team now, and I respected that.” – via Kevin Brown @ NBC Washington DC

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
laker50 wrote:

For the 2012 Olympic team he took over Kobe's defensive role from the 2008 Olympic team. He'd go and harass the opposing squads best guard.
https://tinyurl.com/2us2bbb5

Now that he won't have the highest usage rate in the league , while averaging triple doubles. Of course he'll be a great defender for us. Add on top of that, the reffing changes helping out defenders this year. It's a no-brainer.

Westbrook had a reputation as a doberman early in his career. Once Durant was gone, his defense started to rapidly slip.

MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

I genuinely think Russ will be used to fill the same role that Kobe did on the Redeem Team - the tip of the spear on defense.

For the first time since his OKC days, Russell will not be the runway #1 or #2 player on his team. AND, for the first time ever, the other best player(s) on his team will not be starting in the backcourt next to him.

I think those subtle (if having two MVP-level teammates can ever be "subtle") differences from his prior teams will be HUGE.

Russell will not have to devote 105% of his 125%-level, Mamba-esque intensity to just making sure his team can score every trip down the floor. It's been a LOONG time since he's been on a team where he can dump the ball to someone in the paint and get ready to hang back and be ready to pick up people on D after a make. Even with Houston, Harden's penchant for 3s and funky, all-angle shots meant Russ often had to dive into the paint for boards. He hasn't had an All-Star level frontcourt guy - let alone TWO of them - manning the paint in almost forever.

This frees up just enough energy for Russ to be a defensive terror to opposing guards. Not saying he's going to pick up guards full-court for 35-40 minutes a night... but with his speed, lateral quickness, and above-average physical strength at his listed 6-3, he's going to be our top interceptor in crunch time. It's a role he hasn't needed to fill in a long time, but he'll have the opportunity to excel in it here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 45 of 426
Jump to: