DWIGHT HOWARD Officially Back Part III Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I don’t want to get ahead of myself but if Dwight wins another championship with the Lakers he should get his jersey retired.

I was going to write a longer response to this, but life is to short.

Simply:

No.

It shouldn't happen, and it will never happen.

Next.

Pau is next for sure. LBJ likely. AD possible (I'd bet yes).
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Activeverb - I get it Dwight hasn’t been a Laker long enough but winning 2 championships is never easy, to put it in a simple phrase.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Activeverb - I get it Dwight hasn’t been a Laker long enough but winning 2 championships is never easy, to put it in a simple phrase.

For sure but both Championships would be as a matchup dependent role player so I don't think he has a chance to get his jersey retired personally even if they do win the Championship again.

Bron and AD both are near locks obviously but i'm not seeing anyone else from the last few years having any legitimate chance. Rondo and Dwight would be remembered as fantastic role players but not worthy of getting there jersey hung imo.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject:

The best he could hope for would be something like they did for Byron Scott. An appreciation ceremony basically.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Derek Fisher won 5, is his number retired? Howard basically didn’t play in some of the playoff series in Disneyland.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject:

he got his billboard. thats enough.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I enjoyed Dwight’s interview the most, he really wanted to be here, he never wanted to leave.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Basically, the Lakers only retire Hall of Famers who have had a substantial career with the team.

Dwight doesn't qualify. Even if he wins two rings with the team, it will be as a bench player.

It would make more sense to me to retire Bob McAdoo, a Hall of Famer, who did win two rings with the Lakers as a sub. And he's not retired.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
The best he could hope for would be something like they did for Byron Scott.

A 4 year, 17 million dollar deal to serve as head coach despite no actual coaching ability? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Dwight Howard is a HOF for sure, so that is why it is brought up. Lakers retire HOFers who have won rings for them, but with Dwight when he was in his prime he was not a Laker (save for an injury riddled season) and then when eh was part of the winning he was a role player.

However the guy is one of the greatest defenders at his position ever, and he is a HOF lock. Hell of a career he has had.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Goodluck driving in the paint...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUaOxADF15q/
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I don’t want to get ahead of myself but if Dwight wins another championship with the Lakers he should get his jersey retired.

I was going to write a longer response to this, but life is to short.

Simply:

No.

It shouldn't happen, and it will never happen.

Next.

Pau is next for sure. LBJ likely. AD possible (I'd bet yes).

Lebron is a guarantee. Jeanie probably locked him a spot on the rafters the moment he signed with us.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
The best he could hope for would be something like they did for Byron Scott. An appreciation ceremony basically.

Baby B is so disrespected around here.....even compared to the likes of Michael Cooper.....are you KIDDING ME? People need to realize Byron in his hayday was the 3rd best shooting guard in the Western Conference and that was the only reason he wasnt a perennial all-star behind Clyde Drexler and Rolando Blackman and he was pretty much close to Blackman's level. Scott and Blackman in their primes is pretty much a toss-up and unfortunately it was Rolando who got the all star berths.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject:

Who was better at peak and who had the better career overall: Dwight or Alonzo Mourning?

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject:

Hall of Famer Bob McAdoo won two rings as a Laker and his Jersey isn't retired.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Clippers have not retired it either.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Who was better at peak and who had the better career overall: Dwight or Alonzo Mourning?

This is very tough. I would take Alonzo by a smidgeon as he was much more versatile offensively and actually had a decent jumper. I really like Dwight's athletic advantages but I choose Zo's better skilled offense. Even with Dwight's athletic advantages, its going to be a hard sell trying to tell me Dwight was really better than Mourning defensively at their primes. In the golden generation of centers only Olajuwon was truly better than Zo defensively. Robinson and Mutombo are maybes. Shaq and Ewing are definitely no's with Shaq being the much more definitive no. Defense where both of them were at their best is pretty much a wash. Size is pretty much a wash between these 2 at around 2-3 inches below 7 ft for both of them and both of them big and strong.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Great point...and McAdoo was an instrumental piece on those 2 championships. IMO, the teams he was on were the best in Laker history with Wilkes and Worthy up front with Kareem and McAdoo.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

IMO this is not even close. Mourning, on both questions.

Mourning was a reliable teammate on winning teams. He was close to 20/10 on most nights and his energy and skills were the foundation of some impressive defenses. A respected teammate and NBA player most of his career.

Howard has a legacy of being a disruptive clown. A immature and selfish player with extraordinary physical talents for most of his career. It has only been in the past couple years that Howard and Laker fans have reinvented his career narrative. After he was humbled and squandered his last couple chances with other teams.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

Baby B is so disrespected around here.....even compared to the likes of Michael Cooper.....are you KIDDING ME? People need to realize Byron in his hayday was the 3rd best shooting guard in the Western Conference and that was the only reason he wasnt a perennial all-star behind Clyde Drexler and Rolando Blackman and he was pretty much close to Blackman's level. Scott and Blackman in their primes is pretty much a toss-up and unfortunately it was Rolando who got the all star berths.

I didn't say that as an insult to Byron. I was referring to what they did for him after he (and some other guys from championship squads) returned home. They gave them a moment on the screen and an appreciation moment. But if guys like Scott, Horry, A.C. Green, and Derek Fisher don't deserve to get their jersey's retired (and in fairness they don't), then neither does Dwight.

If he had spent his prime in L.A. then he'd be a no brainer. He had a hall of fame career. But he was an All-Star level player in his one prime year in L.A. but that was the start of his post-back surgery decline and then he choose to leave. I love the fact that he came back late in his career and became a fan favorite. But while he was an important contributor to a title two years ago, he played a significantly lesser role compared to any of the above players. So I just can't see him getting anything more than they received.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Dwight brings that physical play that perhaps was missing last year..he sometimes gets a lot of fouls like tonight, but the physical play is there.

Somehow it is different from the physical ness that Harrell would bring..not sure exactly how..it just different and more intimdating..and fun to watch.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Dwight brings that physical play that perhaps was missing last year..he sometimes gets a lot of fouls like tonight, but the physical play is there.

Somehow it is different from the physical ness that Harrell would bring..not sure exactly how..it just different and more intimdating..and fun to watch.

Harrell's physical-ness was getting an elbow to the face and writhing on the floor like he was about to placed in the concussion protocol seemingly every other possession. I know that scores points with some but doesn't exactly project the intimidation that Dwight does. #ClipperTrash
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

D12/39 is still one scary mofo that opposing players want NO PART OF.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
D12/39 is still one scary mofo that opposing players want NO PART OF.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Harrell's physical-ness was getting an elbow to the face and writhing on the floor like he was about to placed in the concussion protocol seemingly every other possession. I know that scores points with some but doesn't exactly project the intimidation that Dwight does. #ClipperTrash

Absolutely...it's not even close when it comes to physical play and defense....NOT EVEN CLOSE! That's why I was so upset that Rob chose Trez over Dwight...Trez wasn't ever needed here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17
Jump to: