Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 284, 285, 286 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
This is just one story about what happens to innocent people when anti-vaxxers continue to hurt the rest of us with their irresponsible, selfish decisions. This is playing out all over the country every day because the hospitals are maxed out treating non-vaccinated COVID patients.

[snip--one reading is enough]

Sickening.

I don't have much hope for this country. There something worse than a disease, far worse than covid, that seems to infect some 30-40% of the country.

There are country's with far worse governments (so far) than the US. But I don't know if any have a rotten lot as large as in the US. And rotting more with each day.

I continue to think that if any of the red states want to secede, let them.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
This is just one story about what happens to innocent people when anti-vaxxers continue to hurt the rest of us with their irresponsible, selfish decisions. This is playing out all over the country every day because the hospitals are maxed out treating non-vaccinated COVID patients.

Sickening.

I don't have much hope for this country. There something worse than a disease, far worse than covid, that seems to infect some 30-40% of the country.

There are country's with far worse governments (so far) than the US. But I don't know if any have a rotten lot as large as in the US. And rotting more with each day.

It does feel like there's something irreparably broken here.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject:

More and more, day by day, my siggy is becoming a reality.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

These people are done with Democracy, or least the version we have here. They don't want it anymore. I said 3-4 years ago that DJT exposed a real appetite for Authoritarianism in this country.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Got my booster today. No after-effects. So far no soreness. I emailed my doctor asking if this is the last shot or is the vaccine similar to the flu shot that has to be taken annually?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
These people are done with Democracy, or least the version we have here. They don't want it anymore. I said 3-4 years ago that DJT exposed a real appetite for Authoritarianism in this country.

It's not even that they just don't want it . . . they want to kill it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject:

Well, try arguing religious exemption now ‘Christians’

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/574338-vatican-ordering-all-employees-to-be-vaccinated-or
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Got my booster today. No after-effects. So far no soreness. I emailed my doctor asking if this is the last shot or is the vaccine similar to the flu shot that has to be taken annually?

Glad you're doing well. The Pfizer COVID booster shot is the exact same shot as the first two. It's just a third shot to "boost" your immunity as the impact of the first two shots erodes over time.

The flu shot is different every year and is built to address very specific flus in circulation at the time.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
A new CDC health advisory "strongly recommends" people get vaccinated before or during pregnancy. Only 31% of those who are pregnant have, even though those who get covid are at "increased risk of adverse outcomes," including preterm birth, stillbirth & newborn ICU admission.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1443252689857560580
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
A new CDC health advisory "strongly recommends" people get vaccinated before or during pregnancy. Only 31% of those who are pregnant have, even though those who get covid are at "increased risk of adverse outcomes," including preterm birth, stillbirth & newborn ICU admission.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1443252689857560580

Yet more victims of the massive misinformation chain letter that is social media, where scores of concerned sounding women feed tripe to scared pregnant women.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

It's not even that they just don't want it . . . they want to kill it.

AGAIN, the second sentence of my siggy is moving more and more to reality than I want to see. Nerve wracking.

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Working on a campus with over 10,000 students means that I'm qualified to get my booster next Wednesday, exactly six months since my second dose.

It's been a smooth week and half of teaching. I only have had one student not using the mask correctly on the first day (not putting it on their nose).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Sickening.

Been saying this forever.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Working on a campus with over 10,000 students means that I'm qualified to get my booster next Wednesday, exactly six months since my second dose.

It's been a smooth week and half of teaching. I only have had one student not using the mask correctly on the first day (not putting it on their nose).

I asked this before but didn't get a response...is the booster shot basically another shot of Moderna/Pfizer or is it an entirely different shot altogether? I got the JJ shot and when it's time for a booster, I'm not sure what to take.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I asked this before but didn't get a response...is the booster shot basically another shot of Moderna/Pfizer or is it an entirely different shot altogether? I got the JJ shot and when it's time for a booster, I'm not sure what to take.

Same exact shot as the first two.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Sickening.

I think what you mentioned comes down to collective narcissism. It's been building for decades. It can manifest itself as racism, religious zealotry, misogyny, patriarchy or being anti-science.

Unfortunately, narcissism is a disease for which there is no cure.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Also wanted to let jonnybravo know that J&J has been testing their own booster shot (again, same as the first shot) and it has very high efficacy rate -- increases efficacy up to 94% which is more like the same range as Pfizer and Moderna).

So when you're eligible you could try to make an appt for Pfizer shot if the pharmacy will let you. Or you could wait for J&J booster when it comes out (no timeline yet).

(Anecdote: I know a couple over 70-years-old who originally got both shots of the Moderna vaccine. They recently made an appointment at their local pharmacy to get a third shot of Moderna as their booster -- even though that hasn't been approved by CDC yet. Their pharmacy gave them the shot, no questions asked.)
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
BREAKING: CA Gov. _at_ GavinNewsom orders COVID vaccines for eligible students, the first K-12 school mandate in nation

https://mobile.twitter.com/MelodyGutierrez/status/1443988449933938693
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Also wanted to let jonnybravo know that J&J has been testing their own booster shot (again, same as the first shot) and it has very high efficacy rate -- increases efficacy up to 94% which is more like the same range as Pfizer and Moderna).

So when you're eligible you could try to make an appt for Pfizer shot if the pharmacy will let you. Or you could wait for J&J booster when it comes out (no timeline yet).

(Anecdote: I know a couple over 70-years-old who originally got both shots of the Moderna vaccine. They recently made an appointment at their local pharmacy to get a third shot of Moderna as their booster -- even though that hasn't been approved by CDC yet. Their pharmacy gave them the shot, no questions asked.)

Not saying pharmacies aren't safe. If you can get an appointment take it. I'm glad I had the VA and Kaiser in my repertoire. I'm also happy I got the Pfizer. I trust it more than J&J and Moderna.

Having said all that whichever vaccine is available to you no matter if a pharmacy or whatever is approved, take it. The main thing is to GET VACCINATED. I did and got the booster.

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
NETWORK OF RIGHT-WING HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS IS MAKING MILLIONS OFF HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE AND IVERMECTIN, HACKED DATA REVEALS

The data also reveals that 72,000 people paid at least $6.7 million for Covid-19 consultations promoted by America’s Frontline Doctors and vaccine conspiracist Simone Gold.

A NETWORK OF health care providers pocketed millions of dollars selling hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin, and online consultations, according to hacked data provided to The Intercept. The data show that vast sums of money are being extracted from people concerned about or suffering from Covid-19 but resistant to vaccinations or other recommendations of public health authorities.

America’s Frontline Doctors, a right-wing group founded last year to promote pro-Trump doctors during the coronavirus pandemic, is working in tandem with a small network of health care companies to sow distrust in the Covid-19 vaccine, dupe tens of thousands of people into seeking ineffective treatments for the disease, and then sell consultations and millions of dollars’ worth of those medications. The data indicate patients spent at least $15 million — and potentially much more — on consultations and medications combined.

The Intercept has obtained hundreds of thousands of records from two companies, CadenceHealth.us and Ravkoo, revealing just how the lucrative operation works. America’s Frontline Doctors, or AFLDS, has been spreading highly politicized misinformation about Covid-19 since the summer of 2020 and refers its many followers to its telemedicine partner SpeakWithAnMD.com, which uses Cadence Health as a platform. People who sign up then pay $90 for a phone consultation with “AFLDS-trained physicians” who prescribe treatments such as hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin to prevent and treat Covid-19. The drugs are delivered by Ravkoo, a service that works with local pharmacies to ship drugs to patients’ doors. Of course, that’s if patients ever get the consultation; many customers told Time they never received the call after paying.

The data from the Cadence Health and Ravkoo sites was provided to The Intercept by an anonymous hacker who said the sites were “hilariously easy” to hack, despite promises of patient privacy. It was corroborated by comparing it to publicly available information. The Intercept is not publishing any individual patient data and has taken steps to secure the data. After The Intercept reached out, Cadence Health’s Roque Espinal-Valdez said he shut the platform down, not wanting any part in profiting off of Covid-19 “quackery.”

America’s Frontline Doctors, which debuted in the summer of 2020, has close ties to a network of right-wing efforts to undermine public health during the pandemic, including the Tea Party Patriots. AFLDS’s founder, physician Simone Gold, was arrested and charged after the deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol on January 6. She and other doctors have appeared in widely shared videos arguing that the drugs hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin — which are primarily used to treat malaria in humans and parasitic worms in livestock, respectively — are effective treatments for Covid-19, despite warnings from the World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention against using them.

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/28/covid-telehealth-hydroxychloroquine-ivermectin-hacked/
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Being tribal dumbasses, as are these right-wing/anti-vax nuts, should have severe consequences.

Darwin Award

Herman Cain Award

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject:

I'm puzzled as to why these Frontline Doctors aren't sanctioned by the General Medical Council. Seems to me they are putting their licenses in jeopardy peddling false information to make money.

Quote:
America’s Frontline Doctors, a right-wing group founded last year to promote pro-Trump doctors during the coronavirus pandemic, is working in tandem with a small network of health care companies to sow distrust in the Covid-19 vaccine, dupe tens of thousands of people into seeking ineffective treatments for the disease, and then sell consultations and millions of dollars’ worth of those medications. The data indicate patients spent at least $15 million — and potentially much more — on consultations and medications combined.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I have mild cold symptoms. I tested negative for COVID (PCR test) yesterday. I'm puzzled as to how I could get a cold despite wearing N95 masks and people around me mostly masking.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I have mild cold symptoms. I tested negative for COVID (PCR test) yesterday. I'm puzzled as to how I could get a cold despite wearing N95 masks and people around me mostly masking.

COVID is mostly spread by airborne droplets sprayed into the air from the mouth or nose of an infected person. The common cold is easily transmitted by contact and surface contact. If someone else had a cold, touched their mouth or nose, then touched a surface (hand rail, door knob, grocery goods), and then you touched that surface after them, then touched your mouth or nose before washing your hands, then that's how it could happen.

(As a licensed food handler I had to take a state course which included how bacteria gets transferred. They did an experiment, unknown to the students, where they sprayed a small amount fluid on the doorknob entering the glass. The fluid was clear but contained a substance that would show up under a UV light. After all the students wandered in, talked to each other, got a cup of coffee, took their jackets off, etc. the instructor told us what he did. Then he turned off the light and turned on the UV light. The entire room was covered in purple dots where the small amount of substance had been spread. There was almost no surface that didn't have some finger print on it. The point was to shock us so we would understand how easily bacteria gets transferred, how quickly, and how widely dispersed even in a small room. Once you see that, you never forget it.)
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

COVID is mostly spread by airborne droplets sprayed into the air from the mouth or nose of an infected person. The common cold is easily transmitted by contact and surface contact. If someone else had a cold, touched their mouth or nose, then touched a surface (hand rail, door knob, grocery goods), and then you touched that surface after them, then touched your mouth or nose before washing your hands, then that's how it could happen.

(As a licensed food handler I had to take a state course which included how bacteria gets transferred. They did an experiment, unknown to the students, where they sprayed a small amount fluid on the doorknob entering the glass. The fluid was clear but contained a substance that would show up under a UV light. After all the students wandered in, talked to each other, got a cup of coffee, took their jackets off, etc. the instructor told us what he did. Then he turned off the light and turned on the UV light. The entire room was covered in purple dots where the small amount of substance had been spread. There was almost no surface that didn't have some finger print on it. The point was to shock us so we would understand how easily bacteria gets transferred, how quickly, and how widely dispersed even in a small room. Once you see that, you never forget it.)

Ugh, I thought surface transmission was a myth— but I guess that’s only specific to covid. It was probably either groceries or packages since I don’t take my mask off in public and wash my hands immediately when I go inside my apartment.

We’re lucky covid isn’t quite as contagious at the common cold.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 284, 285, 286 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 285 of 318
Jump to: