Thank you MALIK MONK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject:

Yeah DB. Monk and THT to me have to staples in the lineups for this team to succeed this year. We need that extra young fresh legs to compliment the older vets.

THT needs to get decent at those wing and corner spot up 3s. THT has defensive clay, and AD-Bron will be on him.

Monk needs to get decent enough on D. I am sure AD and Bron will be on him.

If we can get 40 of our minutes in a game with one of those two out there, the loss of KCP and Caruso is negated a bit. That athleticism and energy we got from KCP and Caruso, that's what we can get from Monk/THT.

The bright side is this though. Lets say we are 3 months in and we do not love the way the "young" guys are playing (THT/Monk/Nunn). We can make a move with them, IMO. The value for a guy who can go off like Monk, as a vet min player, will be there, attached to a THT/Nunn. Not saying I would trade them, but if it becomes obvious that we need more young 2-way role player help, we can make a move before the deadline. Guys like KCP are a lot easier to find, than guys like Westbrook.

Really hoping we think beyond Bazemore, because we know who Baze is. It's debatable he is a starter on a ring team at this point in his career. He is a solid vet. However with THT and Monk, there is some clay, especially if you put them out there next to the big 3. A lot of their weaknesses are less exposed and they could gain confidence with all the help they have around them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject:

I think Monk is going to surprise some people. He has talent just inconsistent and not focused at times leading to mistakes or low effort moments.

Not sure he continues to have them on this team with the vet leadership and defensive focus demanded by the coach and team culture. My guess is he realizes the opportunity and excels in his role.

I’m excited about the potential of the second unit to not just hold leads but extend them on many nights.

The trio of Monk, Nunn, THT is intriguing. Add in vets like Howard, Ariza and Melo? Them with a rotation overlap with James?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I think Monk is going to surprise some people. He has talent just inconsistent and not focused at times leading to mistakes or low effort moments.

Not sure he continues to have them on this team with the vet leadership and defensive focus demanded by the coach and team culture. My guess is he realizes the opportunity and excels in his role.

I’m excited about the potential of the second unit to not just hold leads but extend them on many nights.

The trio of Monk, Nunn, THT is intriguing. Add in vets like Howard, Ariza and Melo? Them with a rotation overlap with James?

I agree with you. I think Monk has a chance to really contribute this year.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject:

🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject:

You heard it here FIRST.

Calling this dude the MONKROWAVE
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject:

If his career is truly on the rise... what a bargain.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
You heard it here FIRST.

I LOVE IT!!!
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

THT still can't shoot, start this man!!!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
You heard it here FIRST.

Which makes me wonder... why has there never been a Mike who's a walking bucket, so people called him the Mikcrowave? Air Jordan was the true Mikrowave.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Malik Monk has a chance to get major minutes if he can be an average defender.

Looking forward to Nunn and THT making major strides also.

Our guard depth is impressive.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

This dude can play. His shot looks smooth. Best 2 guard on the team.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

He has a shot as a starter. Frank and the coaches need to work with him on defense.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Looked real smooth today, at a time when few others did. Good job Malik Monk!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Is this the first pre-season hype train? I'm on board.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

He should be the starter. His ability to get out in transition and be a terror, which we didn't quite see today, will be at it's highest and best form when playing with Lebron, AD, and obv Russ. In the half court, having a guy who can cut, catch and shoot, but also go up and catch lobs will be invaluable.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject:

All this talk about Monk after the first preseason game and I think it'd be remised to not talk about the elephant in the room. Let's say he shows out this season, do we really think that he'd be here long term? There's no chance in hell he'd be coming back for what he's getting paid now and would Jeanie be willing to open up her tight purse for a guy who has, for the most part, underachieved his whole career?

Let's not forget about Nunn too. Even now, he's probably better than a handful of starting PGs we've had in the last 2 decades.

I highly doubt we get to keep both if not either.

Kiss my Converse.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
He should be the starter. His ability to get out in transition and be a terror, which we didn't quite see today, will be at it's highest and best form when playing with Lebron, AD, and obv Russ. In the half court, having a guy who can cut, catch and shoot, but also go up and catch lobs will be invaluable.

This…..very well put and keen observations. Russ and Monk with Bron on the break is a defensive nightmare. I understand instant offense off the bench….I just like him starting a little bit better.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
All this talk about Monk after the first preseason game and I think it'd be remised to not talk about the elephant in the room. Let's say he shows out this season, do we really think that he'd be here long term? There's no chance in hell he'd be coming back for what he's getting paid now and would Jeanie be willing to open up her tight purse for a guy who has, for the most part, underachieved his whole career?

Let's not forget about Nunn too. Even now, he's probably better than a handful of starting PGs we've had in the last 2 decades.

Gets it!

We can enjoy them while we can, but it’s gonna get tricky retaining them next summer. Nunn is with Klutch now and even though we got a solid allegiance with them, there is no way we can keep dude on a more lucrative deal since our big3 push is so close to the cap apron where the use of the hardcap triggering ~10m fMLE will make it nearly impossible to round up a team without breaching the apron. I doubt Rich has Nunn angling for 5.25m (via opt in), 6m (via opt out & a reup a nonbird deal) or ~6.5m (via projected mMLE). Hopefully we can talk dude into holding over for one more year on the cheap to earn his early bird and then give him the THTreatment.

As for Monk, y’all really think dude reups on another vet min deal? He might take the mMLE tho.

Either we shed one of our big3 to open up cap space or we hope for a massive assist in cap smoothing (via projected 2025 75B TV deal)...cause that’s the only way we can lock up Nunn/Monk to lucrative deals.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

Gets it!

We can enjoy them while we can, but it’s gonna get tricky retaining them next summer. Nunn is with Klutch now and even though we got a solid allegiance with them, there is no way we can keep dude on a more lucrative deal since our big3 push is so close to the cap apron where the use of the hardcap triggering ~10m fMLE will make it nearly impossible to round up a team without breaching the apron. I doubt Rich has Nunn angling for 5.25m (via opt in), 6m (via opt out & a reup a nonbird deal) or ~6.5m (via projected mMLE). Hopefully we can talk dude into holding over for one more year on the cheap to earn his early bird and then give him the THTreatment.

As for Monk, y’all really think dude reups on another vet min deal? He might take the mMLE tho.

Either we shed one of our big3 to open up cap space or we hope for a massive assist in cap smoothing (via projected 2025 75B TV deal)...cause that’s the only way we can lock up Nunn/Monk to lucrative deals.

What is Russ opts out….and then resigns for 3 years $90 million after we take care of Monk and Nunn. Is that doable?
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

Gets it!

What is Russ opts out….and then resigns for 3 years $90 million after we take care of Monk and Nunn. Is that doable?

I personally don’t see Russ taking a Cp3 type deal cause he’s about 4 years younger. But let’s say it happens (it could if we win a title and leverage those good vibes to run it back)...

Assuming a full 10% increase to next year’s salary cap:

Salary Cap - 123.6m
Cap Apron - 157.3m
Tax line - 150.3m
mMLE - 6.5m
fMLE (triggers hard cap) 10.5m
BAE (triggers hard cap, but unlike this season we can use it) 4.1m
Vet min (10+ seasoned player cap hit) 1.9m

Bron 44.5m
AD 38m
Russ 30m
THT 10.3m
Reaves (via team option) 1.6m
(2022 pick goes NO so no cap hold and hey look, no more Deng corpse)
= 124.4m

We’re capped out and we have roughly just under 33m to round out the roster till we hit the apron, with only 5 players accounted for. If we use the fMLE on Nunn and the BAE on Monk, then we’ll have roughly 18m to use towards signing 7 more players. Seeing how the vet mins are just under 2m each, it’s possible to bring in those players and not breach the apron.

But this hypothetical is all contingent on the cap going up a full 10% (in recent years it hasn’t), if Russ is cool on a 30m reup and if Monk/Nunn ain’t looking to lock up more of that bag.

Hey, but it’s doable...so whynot?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:

That's a NEXT YEAR problem. Let dude ball out THIS year, win a chip and then deal with it.

Worst case scenario, if he chips and leaves, that makes us MORE attractive to other ring chasers.

IIRC, Stephen Jackson underachieved, was dealt to SAS on the last year of his rookie deal, balled out, won a chip and left to get paid. The Spurs won like 3 more rings after he left.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
King Randle wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

Gets it!

I personally don’t see Russ taking a Cp3 type deal cause he’s about 4 years younger. But let’s say it happens (it could if we win a title and leverage those good vibes to run it back)...

Salary Cap - 123.6m
Cap Apron - 157.3m
Tax line - 150.3m
mMLE - 6.5m

Bron 44.5m
AD 38m
Russ 30m
THT 10.3m
= 124.4m

We’re capped out and we have roughly just under 33m to round out the roster till we hit the apron, with only 5 players accounted for. If we use the fMLE on Nunn and the BAE on Monk, then we’ll have roughly 18m to use towards signing 7 more players. Seeing how the vet mins are just under 2m each, it’s possible to bring in those players and not breach the apron.

But this hypothetical is all contingent on the cap going up a full 10% (in recent years it hasn’t), if Russ is cool on a 30m reup and if Monk/Nunn ain’t looking to lock up more of that bag.

Man thanks for breaking that down…..outstanding info for everyone here. I for one hope this happens.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject:

This offseason, which featured more cap room than will be in circulation next year, there were 9 free agent deals with an average salary between $10m and $20m where the player changed teams, and 4 of those were S&T. In a league where 60% of the players make $3m or less, offers as large as the full MLE or more to change teams have become scarce for non-stars. It’s not strictly about a player’s relative quality compared to other players as much as how teams are structuring their caps, which are all becoming top heavy.

If Nunn and Monk have strong seasons, there will be interest in the market, but their QO’s were rescinded for a reason. It’s likely going to take more than one good year behind LeBron, Davis and Westbrook to lock in major deals. LA needs talent going forward with an aging roster (other than Davis). Getting to a point where they can pay you with EB or Bird rights is very valuable.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
King Randle wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:

Gets it!

Salary Cap - 123.6m
Cap Apron - 157.3m
Tax line - 150.3m
mMLE - 6.5m

Bron 44.5m
AD 38m
Russ 30m
THT 10.3m
= 124.4m

Thanks for putting all that together. It seems like the more recent projections have the apron closer to $150 million. It would be great if we could get Russ to take that deal and even shave a few million off the first year by structuring it with elevated as opposed to flat annual salaries. That brings the total guaranteed salaries to $122 million instead which allows us to fit the fMLE, BAE, and 7 vet mins under the more conservative apron projection. It'd be a miracle if both Monk and Nunn balled out and were willing to work out those deals with us. Even if not, it's good to know there's a legitimate pathway to using both of those exceptions next summer. Damn it feels good to get Deng off the books!

The realist in me says though that there's no way Russ takes anything south of $35 million AAV. Our best case scenario at that point would be Nunn taking the 20% raise and Monk taking the mMLE with both becoming eligible for early bird rights the following summer.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Will we be under the repeater tax next year? If so, I highly doubt we keep Nunn or him. Enjoy him while you can.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 5 of 31
Jump to: