Goodbye TALEN HORTON-TUCKER Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 200, 201, 202  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject:

Vogel challenged THT to step up his D in the absence of Caruso/KCP:

Quote:
“Let’s talk about THT. You talk about the defensive end, and who’s going to be that guy, he’s been challenged... Yes, we did (invest in him). For good reason. He has the ability, the last few years as a young player he’s gotten a little bit better as we’ve gone, but he’s one of those guys, that looking at KCP and Alex not being here, can you step up and fill into that role of guarding some of the other best players.”

Link
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:
“Let’s talk about THT. You talk about the defensive end, and who’s going to be that guy, he’s been challenged... Yes, we did (invest in him). For good reason. He has the ability, the last few years as a young player he’s gotten a little bit better as we’ve gone, but he’s one of those guys, that looking at KCP and Alex not being here, can you step up and fill into that role of guarding some of the other best players.”

Link

I think the D will come with reps. He's already a good man defender and has the tools to be really good. Just need those reps on team D to speed up his decision making and reads.

And then, of course, AC and KCP closed games. If you want THT to close games with Russ on the floor, he better be a threat from three or the offense will be ugly.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:

Link

I think the D will come with reps. He's already a good man defender and has the tools to be really good. Just need those reps on team D to speed up his decision making and reads.

And then, of course, AC and KCP closed games. If you want THT to close games with Russ on the floor, he better be a threat from three or the offense will be ugly.

He has terrific instincts and really strong hands. His length consistently surprises guys as well. regardless of how the rest of his defense works out, I expect him - with proper minutes - average north of 2 stocks a game, and force at least 2+ TO's a game. that plus some competent man defense and I'm good.

I wonder who will fill KCP's lock and trail role.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Nice tomahawk dunk that he missed alot last year. Was 1-3 from 3, but one was with a second left at the end of the first half. Can still drive to the rim with ease. Seemed to have more lower body strength to hold his position on defense. When he figures out how to pass better after he beats the defense to the hoop and they collapse, he could see a lot more assists. Everyone seemed to be a bit rusty.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Nice tomahawk dunk that he missed alot last year. Was 1-3 from 3, but one was with a second left at the end of the first half. Can still drive to the rim with ease. Seemed to have more lower body strength to hold his position on defense. When he figures out how to pass better after he beats the defense to the hoop and they collapse, he could see a lot more assists. Everyone seemed to be a bit rusty.

Wasn't he 1-4 from 3pt ?
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

Monk vs. THT who looked better yesterday?
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

Monk. Of course on the offensive end, but THT on the defensive can be special.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Yeah, Monk has legitimate elite 3pt potential.. Not sure about consistency though so that will be interesting to watch as the season goes. He's far from an iso guy but can absolutely still drive past someone for a big dunk and get out on transition which could be huge when he's on the court with Bron, Westbrook or Rondo especially. Defensively, I believe he has the tools to be at minimum an average defender especially with our bigs and defensive system setup to help him succeed.

THT otoh has a very questionable 3pt shot even though I do believe he'll be much improved this season it's still a huge question mark if that will be enough to join the starters with all the "shooters" we added. His man2man defense is already clearly much better and has the potential to be even higher especially his team defense which should be much improved due to finally getting some consistent experience last season and continue to get better throughout this upcoming season as well. THT also has the potential to be a solid passer once the game slows down a bit more for him as he clearly goes into tunnel vision much of the time. Then of course he can still get to the basket nearly at will and looks to have even better body control to start this year.

To put it simply I see Monk possibly turning into a Lou Will type of threat where he can just absolutely light it up on any given night and make a career out of being a great role player.

With THT, I see 2 way star potential who has clearly improved every year and hopefully he continues that trend this season which looks promising to start.

Both guys are def. question marks though but I will say with all the veterans they will not be allowed to slack in the slightest and the competition is going to remain high all season. With all the "resting" that will happen with the vets throughout the long year both of these guys will have ample opportunities to shine.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

I'm commented on this a few times, but I see a lot of similarities between Nunn and THT offensively. They have a similar playing style and like getting to the same spots.

THT has better physical tools though - he is longer, stronger and has a slightly quicker first step. Both are why he is more capable of getting into the lane and also finishing. That said, Nunn, the older player, has learned to play at better speed, and has also learned a floater game. If THT slowed down the way Nunn has and developed that floater game, you'd see leaps from him. Maybe he can learn that from Nunn. Its probably the most important thing he does from an offensive stand point aside from a 3pt shot. Even more important than developing his off hand.

Defensively, because of THT's strength and length, his defensive potential is much higher than Nunn's. This is THT's 3rd season. If he's going to take a leap, it will be this year. Put up or shut up time. Said the same thing about every young guy that has come through our ranks, and its proven to be a good barometer. Year 3 is a key year.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Good point on THT and Nunn liking to get to similar spots offensively. I would perhaps take it even a little further, saying LA has Russ, Bron, Nunn and possibly even Monk that all have the handle and power/wiggle to get to the rim, which is THT's preferred offensive destination. It's a great redundancy to have, and I expect ultimately the minutes will go to the players that defend the best, and shoot the 3ball the best.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I'm commented on this a few times, but I see a lot of similarities between Nunn and THT offensively. They have a similar playing style and like getting to the same spots.

THT has better physical tools though - he is longer, stronger and has a slightly quicker first step. Both are why he is more capable of getting into the lane and also finishing. That said, Nunn, the older player, has learned to play at better speed, and has also learned a floater game. If THT slowed down the way Nunn has and developed that floater game, you'd see leaps from him. Maybe he can learn that from Nunn. Its probably the most important thing he does from an offensive stand point aside from a 3pt shot. Even more important than developing his off hand.

Defensively, because of THT's strength and length, his defensive potential is much higher than Nunn's. This is THT's 3rd season. If he's going to take a leap, it will be this year. Put up or shut up time. Said the same thing about every young guy that has come through our ranks, and its proven to be a good barometer. Year 3 is a key year.

This may be the first time I've agreed with LS since we traded for Pau.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

He plays out of control and doesn't have good court vision. He has a hard time making the right play. Also, needs to still work on his shot.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Yeah, Monk has legitimate elite 3pt potential.. Not sure about consistency though so that will be interesting to watch as the season goes. He's far from an iso guy but can absolutely still drive past someone for a big dunk and get out on transition which could be huge when he's on the court with Bron, Westbrook or Rondo especially. Defensively, I believe he has the tools to be at minimum an average defender especially with our bigs and defensive system setup to help him succeed.

THT otoh has a very questionable 3pt shot even though I do believe he'll be much improved this season it's still a huge question mark if that will be enough to join the starters with all the "shooters" we added. His man2man defense is already clearly much better and has the potential to be even higher especially his team defense which should be much improved due to finally getting some consistent experience last season and continue to get better throughout this upcoming season as well. THT also has the potential to be a solid passer once the game slows down a bit more for him as he clearly goes into tunnel vision much of the time. Then of course he can still get to the basket nearly at will and looks to have even better body control to start this year.

To put it simply I see Monk possibly turning into a Lou Will type of threat where he can just absolutely light it up on any given night and make a career out of being a great role player.

With THT, I see 2 way star potential who has clearly improved every year and hopefully he continues that trend this season which looks promising to start.

Both guys are def. question marks though but I will say with all the veterans they will not be allowed to slack in the slightest and the competition is going to remain high all season. With all the "resting" that will happen with the vets throughout the long year both of these guys will have ample opportunities to shine.

I agree. Monks ceiling is a Lou will microwave type player.

THT ceiling is a two way star.

However Monk has a higher floor and more of a path way to reaching his potential.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject:

An important thing to consider when talking about THT and Monk... THT is only 20 years old. Monk is 23. At THT's age Monk averaged: 8.9 points (38.7% fg, 33% 3p), 1.9 rebounds. 1.6 assists in 17 minutes on a Hornets lottery team.

Last year THT averaged 9 points (45.8% fg, 28.2% 3p), 2.6 rebounds, 2.8 assists in 20.1 minutes on a contender.

As a rookie Monk was 2 months younger than THT was last year. And his rookie stats on that bad hornets team were 6.7 points (36% fg, 34.2% 3p), 1 rebound, 1.4 assists, in 13.6 minutes.

It's important to remember that when talking about players and upside.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Monk makes THT totally expendable.

Trade him for a real 3/D wing as soon as he's eligible to be traded.

The only one we currently have on the roster is 37 years old and already nursing an injury.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

The only one we currently have on the roster is 37 years old and already nursing an injury.

That's where I'm at too.. personally, I think Talen ends up a good player but not all star. That said, we have a great need for a big defensive 3&D wing... perhaps the difference in winning a title type of need. And it's not just Monk, Nunn's ability to slide to the 2 with Westbrook is another factor in my thinking.

That said, I'm okay with THT at that back up 3 while hoping for the best.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

Monk is a one year rental who they don't hold the bird rights to.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

actually more in need is a 3 and D combo guard. There are more guards who can kill us than wings these days (Curry, Lillard, Mitchell, Murray, Harden, Irving, Booker, etc)
what hurts more is we let Caruso walk who was perfect in this role. One of the very best defending guards in the entire NBA plus shot 40% from 3 last year. It made zero sense to keep THT over him.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
RashardA wrote:

Monk is a one year rental who they don't hold the bird rights to.

Yeah, i'm not agreeing that Monk makes THT expendable in the slightest personally & only time will tell for sure I guess but completely different players with different upsides. THT has also not come remotely close to having any problems that were public and I have heard nothing but glowing reviews from every player and coach that has talked about him while Monk came to us for dirt cheap because of a few past problems. I'm fully hoping (and expecting) Monk to leave those problems in the past and become a legitimate mature player and man this season but there's still some uncertainty there.

Like J.C. said, THT is barely 20 years old which is still younger then a ton of rookies (3 years younger then Monk) and hasn't even grown into his professional basketball body yet. I'd personally be pissed if they traded him unless it was a legitimate elite 3&d role player that was still young and even then it wouldn't be an easy trade to stomach. It's nice to have at least one home grown prospect that grew into a legit player on our roster. THT is the last hope of that probably for quite awhile.

I'd love to keep Monk and especially Nunn for a long time as well but both could be gone after this season if they play really well with not much the Lakers can do about it.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
RashardA wrote:

actually more in need is a 3 and D combo guard. There are more guards who can kill us than wings these days (Curry, Lillard, Mitchell, Murray, Harden, Irving, Booker, etc)
what hurts more is we let Caruso walk who was perfect in this role. One of the very best defending guards in the entire NBA plus shot 40% from 3 last year. It made zero sense to keep THT over him.

Caruso was red hot to start the season but came way down to reality by the end of it especially in the Playoffs where he couldn't hit anything. He's an average 3pt shooter at best imo. I bet he'll be low 30's to 35% at best next season. I loved him as a role player but without Bron on the floor with him he's lost offensively the majority of the time which becomes a problem when the price tag gets upped to 9+ million a year. He's also 7 years older then THT.. No arguing he was a damn good defensive guard and i'll miss that for sure but i'm down to see what we have this year. I'm keeping THT over him all day, every day so it made complete sense to me at least.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject:

^If you’re a title team working within a window, it’s AC by a mile over THT.

Stop slandering this man as if we were forced into a choice between the two. We had no hard cap to work under….we could have kept both THT and Caruso and been that much more deeper..at the very least, bring up THT to a 30min+ player in a more sustainable way.

Post allstar: 40.3% from 3

https://go.nba.com/0dhp

May (1 month before the playoffs): 38.1

https://go.nba.com/ofls

Then the entire team fell off from 3 in the playoffs, but he was still top 5 for us, shooting better than everybody except Marc, Bron, McLemore & Schro.

https://go.nba.com/ksvv

You can state all you want that AC wouldn’t be anything without playing next to a star like Bron…but that’s the thing, he would have been running with Bron here, along with that whynot? fella.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
RashardA wrote:

Caruso was red hot to start the season but came way down to reality by the end of it especially in the Playoffs where he couldn't hit anything. He's an average 3pt shooter at best imo. I bet he'll be low 30's to 35% at best next season. I loved him as a role player but without Bron on the floor with him he's lost offensively the majority of the time which becomes a problem when the price tag gets upped to 9+ million a year. He's also 7 years older then THT.. No arguing he was a damn good defensive guard and i'll miss that for sure but i'm down to see what we have this year. I'm keeping THT over him all day, every day so it made complete sense to me at least.

Sure, if you wanna argue who would you rather have when building a team I can see many reasons for keeping THT over Caruso. But on a contending team where we now have Lebron, WB, Nunn, even Monk to create shots from the perimeter; THTs skillset is more redundant and easily replaced, where as Carusos defense is not easily replaced. Caruso over THT if we're trying to win chips is a no brainer for me for this team as constructed.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject:

THT gonna be the new Dlo/BI in here lol
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
THT gonna be the new Dlo/BI in here lol

I know, right? It was the first preseason game.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject:

Monk is just a way better fit even at 20, because of his outside game. I watched Monk at college, he can flat out ball from outside and attacks like a typical elite bench combo guard.

THT is more physically gifted and has more potential as a defender and playmaker especially, but in terms of immediate fit around AD/Bron. THT has the phyiscal tools to be a starting level defender and player.

IMO a guy like Monk better fit on offense because of the skillset. 3 point shooter. Some handles that can call for a screen from AD, to then exploit a double AD situation where Monk has space to shoot/create. There's a lot of things Monk does, that I do not think THT does as well from the perimeter. Considering our team's strengths of the big 3, Monk to me seems like a much more natural fit on offense.

THT does a lot of things, that Monk does not do well, so it's quite obvious to me they are different talents. I just feel on offense, Monk is one of the best compliments to AD/Bron/Westbrook on the team. It's just his defense, and possibly his IQ will do him in. Unless Monk has matured, he will be in the doghouse for D/IQ. He has to commit on D, to get consistent PT. I wish he does commit on D, because on offense he is our most complimentary starter, alongside Ellington/Bazemore/Ariza, IMO.

We need dynamic 3 point shooters around the big 3. Not guys that will stop the ball themselves or over dribble. Monk, Baze, Ellington, Ariza, possibly Melo if he has ceased being a ball stopper late in his career. Quick catch and shoot guys, quick decisions. I do not think that is THT, to be honest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 139 of 202
Jump to: