Facebook site down day after whistle blower report . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
There's no hack or tech glitch. This is all FB. Guaranteed.

The outrage algorithm started pointing at them and they shut things down. They'll get all hands on deck for PR and start working that trying to soothe things. The shut down will ride out some of the initial outrage. They'll come up with some BS story about the outage, but this is straight up damage control.

They don't mind damaging our daughters so they can make more money. MFers. But once it's found out that they have data on all this? The outrage need to be shut down. Can't wait for their BS excuse.

I was puzzled that a major company with so many software engineers could experience an outage lasting for, at this point, close to six hours across all its platforms (FB, Instagram, Messenger). As you note, timing is a bit odd to be the day after the 60 Minutes story.

It's not just the websites being down. Apparently, key cards aren't working. Internal networks are offline. Employees can't access conference rooms. Everything has gone black. DB is 100% right...this is all hands on deck damage control.

Man, I’ve had this thought even before this scandal: Do I really want to use a website which is basically just surveillance of my daily life and also sells my data/browsing history to advertisers?

I remember a decade ago, there was a conversation here on cloud computing and I was insistent that I would never put any sensitive material online. Well here you go. Why would I EVER put myself at the mercy of anyone but myself.
Putting social media aside, how can you avoid it though? Medical records/health insurance, online banking, utilities, phone backups, vaccination records, apps like whatsapp, etc - how do you manage to do avoid it when organizations like aforementioned seem to require it?

Medical records, banking, utilities, are things I'm willing to put up with and were given to third parties well before the clouud so they're not really an issue for me. Phone backups can be done offline. I don't use whatsapp, twitter, facebook or instagram for that matter so that's irrelevant to me. I'll leave my dick piccs on my hard drive . Family photos aren't going on any cloud nor are any business paperwork. Incognito browsing, vpn's, script blockers and I don't ever shop on my phone. Point is, we're in agreement that things are getting more intrusive. Why give them even more access?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject:

What is the strategy behind a newsworthy hours-long outage if they're going for damage control?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject:

There are so many ways to pull ad data about you. Your phone tells advertisers so much about you. The apps you have on your phone get reported as data by other apps. This tells a lot about you. Advertisers can geofence any address. Phones that enter those addresses tell them about you. Confirm your Hulu/Roku etc account/device with your phone, now the smart TV or streaming devices you use are tied to that phone. Now that device or smart tv can be pushed ads based on your phone. Visit sites from your phone and any number of networks are tracking you…FB, Google and programmatic data providers are tracking what that site visit says about. They can tell when you are in market to buy something or are even thinking about life changes like moving, going to college, etc. Behaviors like taking public transportation (and the last time you did so) are all tracked. Visit a site and don’t make a purchase and you will be retargeted with ads for that product on other sites and social media platforms. Got a high net worth and actively looking for investment services? It’s already known. Make a random search on Google…. What does that tell about you? You can then be tartgeted on YouTube or with a display ad on some other site that uses that search as a custom intent audience to show ads.

You are so tracked and profiled right now with AI and machine learning that advertisers know what’s in your head. The above is just the tip of the iceberg. Let me know if you don’t believe it. Data is the new gold rush.

But, yeah, geniuses use FB or IG to spread that a vax has a tracker inside it and you shouldn’t get one, lol.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
What is the strategy behind a newsworthy hours-long outage if they're going for damage control?

People made jokes, wondered if Facebook caused the outage, what the world would be like if Facebook died forever, etc. The outage dominated the news, not the fact that Facebook is a cancer. So if they indeed caused the outage, it was a success.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
There are so many ways to pull ad data about you. Your phone tells advertisers so much about you. The apps you have on your phone get reported as data by other apps. This tells a lot about you. Advertisers can geofence any address. Phones that enter those addresses tell them about you. Confirm your Hulu/Roku etc account/device with your phone, now the smart TV or streaming devices you use are tied to that phone. Now that device or smart tv can be pushed ads based on your phone. Visit sites from your phone and any number of networks are tracking you…FB, Google and programmatic data providers are tracking what that site visit says about. They can tell when you are in market to buy something or are even thinking about life changes like moving, going to college, etc. Behaviors like taking public transportation (and the last time you did so) are all tracked. Visit a site and don’t make a purchase and you will be retargeted with ads for that product on other sites and social media platforms. Got a high net worth and actively looking for investment services? It’s already known. Make a random search on Google…. What does that tell about you? You can then be tartgeted on YouTube or with a display ad on some other site that uses that search as a custom intent audience to show ads.

You are so tracked and profiled right now with AI and machine learning that advertisers know what’s in your head. The above is just the tip of the iceberg. Let me know if you don’t believe it. Data is the new gold rush.

But, yeah, geniuses use FB or IG to spread that a vax has a tracker inside it and you shouldn’t get one, lol.

You know back when I was a kid, I used to play a tabletop RPG called Cyberpunk and another one called Shadowrun. They're both dystopian near future worlds like Blade Runner but VR and AI were featured heavily. I used to tell everyone that the moment it was possible to jack into a VR world, I'd be outta here. As an adult, that type of future is appalling to me. Young me would have happily stayed in the Matrix. The current global mega corporations, immense disparity in wealth and the things you listed make me think those games/books/movies were spot on. Things almost feel like climate change in the sense that the dangers of AI and machine learning may hit us right at the precipice of a cataclysm before we really take notice.

If version 10.0 of this mf'er can think for himself I'm heading for the hills.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

A massively scandalous story is about to get magnified by their algorithms but this time the viral content and outrage is about them. On a Monday. It’s pretty convenient to me that the outage ended exactly around time that peak usage is declining in the U.S. It’s like ordering up rain and killing the wind during a California brush fire before it spreads. They’ve seen this act before. They’ve been an instrument that has helped topple governments. They know in detail when a fire is about to rage. They can get out in front of it, control the fire better. This, at the same time they are testifying in Congress.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

It's not that the strategy would be to simply take themselves offline as damage control. It's why they would take a huge revenue generator offline in the first place, because there's no way they simply had a 6 hour technical glitch.

There are certainly reasons they would take themselves offline after a whistleblower incident though—reducing a data dump breach in the aftermath being just one of them.

The real question is, if an outside entity was capable of taking them completely offline for 6 hours, why would those hackers simply generate a 404 error? Why not deliver a message in the process? Why let it appear to be a simple DNS issue?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject:

One of the first rules of crisis management is if the (bleep) is going to hit the fan, turn off the fan.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject:

it's over with? it's working on my phone
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

It was over late afternoon yesterday.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject:

I don't use Facebook except to see what my kids are posting. I'll be watching to see if Facebook will change its ways.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject:

I unofficially said goodbye to my Facebook friends today. I didn't deactivate, but won't be posting for a while. Let's see how much my life changes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

I seldom post on Facebook. I've had the account longer than I can remember. I think I've posted about 3 or 4 times. My Facebook friends are in my contacts. When they post on Facebook I comment via text.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Facebook is toxic. I have been on and off that site over the years. I have currently been off the site for a few years and don't miss it at all.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
governator wrote:

It was over late afternoon yesterday.

So what was the damage/what change? the ads? looks exactly the same to me
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
C M B wrote:

A massively scandalous story is about to get magnified by their algorithms but this time the viral content and outrage is about them. On a Monday. It’s pretty convenient to me that the outage ended exactly around time that peak usage is declining in the U.S. It’s like ordering up rain and killing the wind during a California brush fire before it spreads. They’ve seen this act before. They’ve been an instrument that has helped topple governments. They know in detail when a fire is about to rage. They can get out in front of it, control the fire better. This, at the same time they are testifying in Congress.

Prevent people from posting about Facebook on Facebook. Too bad they don’t also own Twitter and Reddit.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Facebook is toxic. I have been on and off that site over the years. I have currently been off the site for a few years and don't miss it at all.

I'm with you
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
32 wrote:

I'm with you

It's like anything else. It's what you make of it. If one is finding it toxic, then one should definitely avoid it—and maybe consider why it became that in one's circumstance. Just like one should whenever one finds oneself in any social situation they find toxic and counterproductive. It's likely not the context that's the issue, but the participants.

For others it's a useful way of keeping touch with friends and family that they don't have routine contact with. I recently found out that an old friend from my teens and twenties whom I had lost contact with over the years is in grave condition in the ICU and was able to connect with his brother and now we are talking on the phone regarding updates on his progress.

It can also be quite useful and powerful in other ways that extend beyond friends and family. I know for sure than in regards to the current IATSE strike situation, it's been an invaluable tool in helping disseminate information between the leadership, the various locals and their members. The separate entities who don't really have any way of interacting otherwise have been connecting and building a solidarity. I know there is no way that what is one of the major stories in the recent labor movement and has become a historical event in the entertainment industry would not have reached the point it has without FB as a vehicle.

Facebook definitely has some damaging legacies on both the macro and micro levels. But it's like any tool that has power to influence one's life. It can be hurtful or helpful. A chainsaw can cut your leg off if you don't use it properly. It can also help you turn an entire tree into firewood for years if you do.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject:

Deactivated my FB account 5 years ago primarily because I was getting tired debating my Trumpian and GOP cousins. I don't miss them at all.
I also don't miss all those vacation pics of feet next to a swimming pool or a beach.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
32 wrote:

I'm with you

It's like anything else. It's what you make of it. If one is finding it toxic, then one should definitely avoid it—and maybe consider why it became that in one's circumstance. Just like one should whenever one finds oneself in any social situation they find toxic and counterproductive. It's likely not the context that's the issue, but the participants.

For others it's a useful way of keeping touch with friends and family that they don't have routine contact with. I recently found out that an old friend from my teens and twenties whom I had lost contact with over the years is in grave condition in the ICU and was able to connect with his brother and now we are talking on the phone regarding updates on his progress.

It can also be quite useful and powerful in other ways that extend beyond friends and family. I know for sure than in regards to the current IATSE strike situation, it's been an invaluable tool in helping disseminate information between the leadership, the various locals and their members. The separate entities who don't really have any way of interacting otherwise have been connecting and building a solidarity. I know there is no way that what is one of the major stories in the recent labor movement and has become a historical event in the entertainment industry would not have reached the point it has without FB as a vehicle.

Facebook definitely has some damaging legacies on both the macro and micro levels. But it's like any tool that has power to influence one's life. It can be hurtful or helpful. A chainsaw can cut your leg off if you don't use it properly. It can also help you turn an entire tree into firewood for years if you do.

To be fair, a chainsaw doesn’t have an algorithm that has it conspiring with other chainsaws to cut you and others. And it isn’t watching your every move, influencing your behaviors, and learning from your actions how to better carve you up.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Deactivated my FB account 5 years ago primarily because I was getting tired debating my Trumpian and GOP cousins. I don't miss them at all.
I also don't miss all those vacation pics of feet next to a swimming pool or a beach.

I never understood the need. I'm old school, I'm quite happy with the online anonymity, and having advertisers know details about my life simply creeps me out. I don't accept cookies and if I need to research something for business or personal use, I use burner emails and a VPN.

My wife uses it though. She feels a need to share restaurant dishes and desserts with her friends. She's wired differently.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
32 wrote:

I'm with you

To be fair, a chainsaw doesn’t have an algorithm that has it conspiring with other chainsaws to cut you and others. And it isn’t watching your every move, influencing your behaviors, and learning from your actions how to better carve you up.

To be fair, you ignored the bolded and the point of what I said.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
32 wrote:

I'm with you

To be fair, you ignored the bolded and the point of what I said.

Nope. I took the whole paragraph including your example of a useful tool with dangers into context. Facebook is not like a chainsaw. It’s useful portions are designed to suck you into the grasp of its algorithms. It’s more like a powerful opioid, with insidious and powerful side effects that are hard to avoid even with limited use. It even that falls far short because opioids don’t exist with powerful AI and a broader mission to entrap you built in. It’s entire model is based on sucking you in, using emotions, primarily negativity and conflict, to activate centers of your brain, ads and content to reinforce that programming, and tracking and harvesting of your choices(on and off Facebook) to better tailor itself to the mission of directing those choices. I don’t doubt that some limited use is of moderate danger for some people, but the edge of the deeper water is murky. most people don’t know they are in danger even after they are.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject:

Also to be transparent, this site has a chat thread called “user mind control” that Larry and DB don’t let most of the other mods in (I do think I saw LakerSanity leaving it earlier though), but I’m sure that’s just… wait, what was I taking about? I have to go now, I need to make a donation to UCI for use to enhance IT salaries…
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Also to be transparent, this site has a chat thread called “user mind control” that Larry and DB don’t let most of the other mods in (I do think I saw LakerSanity leaving it earlier though), but I’m sure that’s just… wait, what was I taking about? I have to go now, I need to make a donation to UCI for use to enhance IT salaries…

Not many people know that between UCI, the NBA, SBC and this site, my payouts from DB remain my principal source of income.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: