Facebook site down day after whistle blower report . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
32 wrote:
Facebook is toxic. I have been on and off that site over the years. I have currently been off the site for a few years and don't miss it at all.

I'm with you

It's like anything else. It's what you make of it. If one is finding it toxic, then one should definitely avoid it—and maybe consider why it became that in one's circumstance. Just like one should whenever one finds oneself in any social situation they find toxic and counterproductive. It's likely not the context that's the issue, but the participants.

For others it's a useful way of keeping touch with friends and family that they don't have routine contact with. I recently found out that an old friend from my teens and twenties whom I had lost contact with over the years is in grave condition in the ICU and was able to connect with his brother and now we are talking on the phone regarding updates on his progress.

It can also be quite useful and powerful in other ways that extend beyond friends and family. I know for sure than in regards to the current IATSE strike situation, it's been an invaluable tool in helping disseminate information between the leadership, the various locals and their members. The separate entities who don't really have any way of interacting otherwise have been connecting and building a solidarity. I know there is no way that what is one of the major stories in the recent labor movement and has become a historical event in the entertainment industry would not have reached the point it has without FB as a vehicle.

Facebook definitely has some damaging legacies on both the macro and micro levels. But it's like any tool that has power to influence one's life. It can be hurtful or helpful. A chainsaw can cut your leg off if you don't use it properly. It can also help you turn an entire tree into firewood for years if you do.

To be fair, a chainsaw doesn’t have an algorithm that has it conspiring with other chainsaws to cut you and others. And it isn’t watching your every move, influencing your behaviors, and learning from your actions how to better carve you up.

To be fair, you ignored the bolded and the point of what I said.

Nope. I took the whole paragraph including your example of a useful tool with dangers into context. Facebook is not like a chainsaw. It’s useful portions are designed to suck you into the grasp of its algorithms. It’s more like a powerful opioid, with insidious and powerful side effects that are hard to avoid even with limited use. It even that falls far short because opioids don’t exist with powerful AI and a broader mission to entrap you built in. It’s entire model is based on sucking you in, using emotions, primarily negativity and conflict, to activate centers of your brain, ads and content to reinforce that programming, and tracking and harvesting of your choices(on and off Facebook) to better tailor itself to the mission of directing those choices. I don’t doubt that some limited use is of moderate danger for some people, but the edge of the deeper water is murky. most people don’t know they are in danger even after they are.

And some people people shouldn't use a chainsaw because they underestimate the dangers inherent in its use. Doesn't make the chainsaw any less useful to those who take the appropriate precautions.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject:

I'm of a belief that one is influenced by one's beliefs. Facebook offers a forum to air, bolster, or deflate those beliefs.

If the platform allows beliefs that one feels are just it's ok but if the beliefs opposite to those one thinks are just they should be obliterated? It's a two-sided coin.

How many here are influenced by Facebook? Does Facebook sway your political sidings? I realize I'm asking from an adult stance. I know youth don't have the foundation to be as critical as adults.

I don't use Facebook. I don't like what it's doing and think it should be monitored. Having said that I'm conflicted as to government interference. I think fact-checking should be a must.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Horrible educational systems are more dangerous than Facebook
Facebook is dangerous because our citizens are uneducated and angry gullible pigs

I really assumed Trump Supporters would be remorseful by now and seeking mental help

Instead of blaming all of our (bleep) vices I think America just creates stupid citizens, on purpose.

Even the UK.. maybe capitalism needs idiots to be tricked into fulfilling their lives via consumerism? I know very little about the UK but the Russian troll farms convinced these dumb (bleep) that leaving the EU was a good idea.. I knew it was HORRIBLE.. but these (bleep) let Russia trick a whole country into leaving the EU??

Fix our educational systems or let our country and the world fall prey to social media
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm of a belief that one is influenced by one's beliefs. Facebook offers a forum to air, bolster, or deflate those beliefs.

If the platform allows beliefs that one feels are just it's ok but if the beliefs opposite to those one thinks are just they should be obliterated? It's a two-sided coin.

How many here are influenced by Facebook? Does Facebook sway your political sidings? I realize I'm asking from an adult stance. I know youth don't have the foundation to be as critical as adults.

I don't use Facebook. I don't like what it's doing and think it should be monitored. Having said that I'm conflicted as to government interference. I think fact-checking should be a must.

It doesn't have anything to do with youth v. adulthood. FB isn't just swaying beliefs one way or another. That's not the problem. The PROBLEM is that FB is allowing belief systems to be injected with METH...FOR PROFIT. They are taking your personal info, the things you post, the little surveys you complete on there that seem benign, to sell to anyone willing to pay. And those advertisers are paying for the micro-targeting and carpet bombing
of specific users in very specific areas with disinformation. So these users are getting bombarded with articles that may look very very legit. But they're not.

In 2016, it was Cambridge Analytica who perfected this tactic and the GOP bought in. But here's the thing - they actually reached out the Dems too, and was willing to do the same for Hillary, that they were doing for Trump. But the Dems didn't believe in its veracity, or maybe they thought it was unethical. Well, it was a brush off that cost them dearly. Cambridge Analytics all but put DJT in the White House.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It doesn't have anything to do with youth v. adulthood. FB isn't just swaying beliefs one way or another. That's not the problem. The PROBLEM is that FB is allowing belief systems to be injected with METH...FOR PROFIT. They are taking your personal info, the things you post, the little surveys you complete on there that seem benign, to sell to anyone willing to pay. And those advertisers are paying for the micro-targeting and carpet bombing
of specific users in very specific areas with disinformation.
So these users are getting bombarded with articles that may look very very legit. But they're not.

In 2016, it was Cambridge Analytica who perfected this tactic and the GOP bought in. But here's the thing - they actually reached out the Dems too, and was willing to do the same for Hillary, that they were doing for Trump. But the Dems didn't believe in its veracity, or maybe they thought it was unethical. Well, it was a brush off that cost them dearly. Cambridge Analytics all but put DJT in the White House.

This is why I think fact-checking and printing the information should be mandatory. Fight fire with fire.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
focus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
There's no hack or tech glitch. This is all FB. Guaranteed.

The outrage algorithm started pointing at them and they shut things down. They'll get all hands on deck for PR and start working that trying to soothe things. The shut down will ride out some of the initial outrage. They'll come up with some BS story about the outage, but this is straight up damage control.

They don't mind damaging our daughters so they can make more money. MFers. But once it's found out that they have data on all this? The outrage need to be shut down. Can't wait for their BS excuse.

I was puzzled that a major company with so many software engineers could experience an outage lasting for, at this point, close to six hours across all its platforms (FB, Instagram, Messenger). As you note, timing is a bit odd to be the day after the 60 Minutes story.

It's not just the websites being down. Apparently, key cards aren't working. Internal networks are offline. Employees can't access conference rooms. Everything has gone black. DB is 100% right...this is all hands on deck damage control.

Man, I’ve had this thought even before this scandal: Do I really want to use a website which is basically just surveillance of my daily life and also sells my data/browsing history to advertisers?

I remember a decade ago, there was a conversation here on cloud computing and I was insistent that I would never put any sensitive material online. Well here you go. Why would I EVER put myself at the mercy of anyone but myself.
Putting social media aside, how can you avoid it though? Medical records/health insurance, online banking, utilities, phone backups, vaccination records, apps like whatsapp, etc - how do you manage to do avoid it when organizations like aforementioned seem to require it?

Medical records, banking, utilities, are things I'm willing to put up with and were given to third parties well before the clouud so they're not really an issue for me. Phone backups can be done offline. I don't use whatsapp, twitter, facebook or instagram for that matter so that's irrelevant to me. I'll leave my dick piccs on my hard drive . Family photos aren't going on any cloud nor are any business paperwork. Incognito browsing, vpn's, script blockers and I don't ever shop on my phone. Point is, we're in agreement that things are getting more intrusive. Why give them even more access?
I totally agree with your last sentence, or did until really the pandemic made me feel like it's become a lost cause. I was asking to see how you do it so that I might keep at it. I am still using script blockers, don't shop on my phone, incognito browsing sometimes. Haven't used vpns though yet.
With Covid situation, everything has been slammed into a higher gear. All kids learning online, all medical records, vaccination, etc. required online, remote everything, to me it feels futile now. All this is data is cross-referenced so easily and permanently, easily bought and sold data, and scooped up so conveniently. A spotify desktop app search (not even actually playing) shows up immediately in youtube when I don't even have a youtube account, nor am logged into any google product. It's david vs. Thanos and no stones about.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

The TIME front page is fire
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

Do I see a Saturday Night Live skit coming where an angel shows Zuckerberg what the world would be like if Facebook had never been born?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Facebook plans to change its name as part of company rebrand – report

Facebook plans to make a dramatic break with its past by rebranding the company next week, according to a report.

Facebook’s founder and chief executive, Mark Zuckerberg, is preparing to talk about the name change at a company event next week, but it could be unveiled sooner, reported the Verge, a US tech news website.

Under the plans, Facebook would change the name of its holding company but not that of its eponymous social media platform, known internally as the “big blue app”. As well as its founding site, the company also owns Instagram, WhatsApp and the virtual reality brand Oculus.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/oct/20/facebook-plans-to-change-its-name-as-part-of-company-rebrand-report
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject:

^^

I saw that and thought it was an Onion article at first. It's laughable that they think "rebranding" is going to have any effect on public perception.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
^^

I saw that and thought it was an Onion article at first. It's laughable that they think "rebranding" is going to have any effect on public perception.

And they aren’t even changing the name on the actual brand, just the holding company.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: