Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

This is pure speculation. Maybe his contract had a team option for another year, making it 4 years total.

I doubt Vogel is worried about this.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

It's always fun to go back and read the first few pages of a thread.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

I think Rob is trying to right his wrongs for Vogel. Namely sign "team first guys", guys that genuinely want to be Lakers.

No more me first players like dennis, Drummond and to some degree Trez. I mean who's surprised Frank wasn't huge on Trez? Undersized center with limited range and suspect defense. A stat padder. Hardly a "Vogel player".

Last edited by oaktown_dimond on Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
I think. Rob is trying to right his wrongs for Vogel. Namely sign "team first guys", guys that genuinely want to be Lakers.

No more me first players like dennis, Drummond and to some degree Trez. I mean who's surprised Frank wasn't huge on Trez? Undersized center with limited range and suspect defense. A stat padder. Hardly a "Vogel player".

Yep. That’s why I’m giving Vogel the benefit of the doubt for last season’s rotations and decisions…it seemed very political and forced.

No more clowns…so pressure back on Vogel. He has vets starving for a ring and young guys wanting to learn from respected vets. Closer to the 2019-20 roster construction with more talent to survive those non-Lebron minutes.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Got his swag back!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
This is pure speculation. Maybe his contract had a team option for another year, making it 4 years total.

I doubt Vogel is worried about this.

As many have noted, it would be very unusual to not announce a multi-year extension. Unannounced terms historically mean a one-year extension.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject:

I have no problem with Vogel getting a year.

Lakers ate Rudy T's deal, Mike Brown's deal, Mike D'Antoni's deal, Byron Scott's deal and Luke Walton's deal.

Vogel's had 10 years as a HC in the L and is guaranteed 2 more. If he wins a chip this year, he can try to muscle Rob for a longer deal or he can go get one elsewhere.

Meanwhile, the Lakers have Handy, Simon, Crawford and maybe Rondo waiting in the wings . . .
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Ownership has opened up the wallet. Anything less than gold trophy probably means Vogel won't survive. It's just the nature of the beast for taking the job. Phil 04 was shown the door too.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject:

If he got a one-year extension (unconfirmed) his contract would end in 2023 the same year Lebron and Westbrook become a UFA.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Bubble title for #17 was nice, but honestly still doesn't feel like a true championship. No fans, no traveling to opposing crowds, no parade. There's still unfinished business to win one in a "normal world."
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject:

The fact is, Vogel took the deal whatever it was. If Vogel was undervalued significantly he would have easily found a way to move on. He can cash in big time after winning a title.

The Magic stop hurt his value, but this Lakers job has now elevated him back to the status he had in Indiana. If he pushed his way out this summer he would have found work easily and paid well.

To me seems like Vogel knows he can cash in, but is happy to be a Lakers coach. You can ask his lead assistant Fizdale what it’s like to cash in at the wrong place.

I like Frank a lot. Best coach we have had since Phil, and probably after Phil and Riley, our 3rd best coach as a Laker. I do not miss MDA, Del Harris, Rudy T, Mike Brown. We got it right with Frank. However the lifespan of the current NBA coach is about 5-6 years if he’s good. A lot less if he’s not. Even Brad Steven’s is out. Carlisle. Again, life span is not very long in most cases.

That said, hope we lock in Vogel for a long time. Just such a stable good leader. Never causes drama, has his teams play hard on D, and doesn’t play favorites or politics. So refreshing, man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject:

I am really beginning to hate all this MStein speculation converted in gospel. What's it? Does he have an hour long podcast or what?
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
I am really beginning to hate all this MStein speculation converted in gospel. What's it? Does he have an hour long podcast or what?

Stein has become the Chris Broussard in rumor reporting, but Stein’s rumors have some meat to stand behind, at least for now...
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Interview with Frank: He talks about stating lineups, defense, and THT!
https://youtu.be/ImHcyh_m5SM
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Imho, more of an indictment on Vogs/coaching staff and their offensive acumen (or lack thereof) than Bron but thank goodness we can put some of that offensive weight on Russ now and not entirely on soon to be 37y/o medical marvel.

Quote:
”I see myself as a guy that I can get back to my old self, just playing the game the right way, not having to look over my shoulder,” said Morris to the Sun Sentinel . “I feel like we have nobody on the team like just, ‘give him the ball, and then everybody just watch and let them make the play.’ It’s a collective.

“We’re going to need everybody to score and rebound and defend every night. And that’s the best team to be on, when you don’t have to run to the corner every play and wait for a guy to make a play for you.”

Vogs has our defense firing on all cylinders and it’s going to be his biggest challenge this season in terms of the personnel he acquired. Our defense has been at the top if the league in recent years and its it’s possible it’s directly correlated to how the coaches hold our bigs accountable on defense...either way, Vogs seriously has had our frontline players big mad...get it?

Quote:
Goon: The season was a hard one: Several people from the 2020-21 team said it was a more difficult slog than being sequestered three months in the NBA Bubble. Injuries made the second half of the season an uphill battle, straining chemistry issues between teammates, coaches and staff. By June, the Lakers’ final two blowout losses to Phoenix were a measurement not only of how banged up the team was, but of the bonds that had fractured – or maybe never formed in the first place.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/09/24/how-the-lakers-have-changed-their-approach-to-chemistry-this-offseason

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject:

All Lebron teams played that way. It is not going to be like a team is going to change the offense around for Markieff Morris.

Morris' job was to hit the open 3 and defend, sometimes play physical inside. Mainly a small ball 5. In the championship run, Vogel used him very well.

Last season. and right now, teams are quite big in the West. You have the Suns with Ayton. Nuggets with Jokic. Utah with Gobert. These teams you just can not roll out a Morris/AD lineup. In the championship run, we met a small ball Houston team, and then a Miami team that also went small on us. That is why Kieff was needed so much. Right now, based on last year's standings, I do not see this small ball team that the Lakers need to go through.

I think the Lakers last season messed their chemistry up in multiple ways that had nothing to do with Frank Vogel.

1) Traded a chemistry guy, winning role player like Danny Green (starter) for a selfish starter who was playing for a new contract (Even though, he was more talented than Green). We never filled Danny's role.

2) Losing Rondo and not replacing him on the bench. No leader. Outside of Bron, the team had no floor general or leader. So obvious.

3) Trez in for Dwight. Not only did this make us less physical, it made us a lot worse team chemistry wise. Dwight was a + on team chemistry in 19-20. Trez, a more talented scorer, but like with Danny Green/Dennis swap, the Lakers subbed out talent for chemistry.

Frank could have done better. However also understand when AD/Bron got hurt and AD was hurt most of the season basically, what kept the Lakers afloat and in the playoffs was Frank's defensive brilliance as a coach. He got guys like Dennis, Caruso, KCP all to play great defense in his system. There is no way we make the playoffs last year unless we are a great defensive team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject:

Thing is...Lebron doesn't play 48 minutes and usually less than 82 games. You have to have a better system in place when he sits than just grinding it out on both ends to milk the clock.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject:

I fully understand the one year extension. This team is built to win chip. If he doesn't provide the title in next 2 years he will be gone. Simple as that.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Where are the coaching statues? Imagine if Vogel gets one someday...
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject:

From GM survey

Quote:
Who is the best head coach in the NBA?
1. Erik Spoelstra, Miami – 55%
2. Monty Williams, Phoenix – 17%
3. Quin Snyder, Utah – 14%
4. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio – 10%
5. Mike Budenholzer, Milwaukee – 3%
> Last year: Erik Spoelstra – 46%

Which head coach is the best manager/motivator of people?
1. Monty Williams, Phoenix – 50%
2. Steve Kerr, Golden State – 10%
Tyronn Lue, LA Clippers – 10%
Gregg Popovich, San Antonio – 10%
Erik Spoelstra, Miami – 10%
> Also receiving votes: Nate McMillan, Atlanta; Steve Nash, Brooklyn; Doc Rivers, Philadelphia
> Last year: Erik Spoelstra – 32%

Which head coach makes the best in-game adjustments?
1. Tyronn Lue, LA Clippers – 37%
2. Rick Carlisle, Indiana – 27%
3. Erik Spoelstra, Miami – 10%
4. Nick Nurse, Toronto – 7%
Quin Snyder, Utah – 7%
> Also receiving votes: Mike Budenholzer, Milwaukee; Doc Rivers, Philadelphia; Tom Thibodeau, New York; Frank Vogel, L.A. Lakers
> Last year: Erik Spoelstra – 26%

Which head coach runs the best offense?
1. Quin Snyder, Utah – 27%
2. Steve Kerr, Golden State – 23%
3. Mike Budenholzer, Milwaukee – 17%
4. Steve Nash, Brooklyn – 10%
5. Erik Spoelstra, Miami – 7%
Monty Williams, Phoenix – 7%
> Also receiving votes: Rick Carlisle, Indiana; Chris Finch, Minnesota; Michael Malone, Denver
> Last year: N/A

Which head coach has the best defensive schemes?
1. Tom Thibodeau, New York – 37%
2. Mike Budenholzer, Milwaukee – 17%
3. Quin Snyder, Utah – 13%
4. Frank Vogel, L.A. Lakers – 10%
5. Nick Nurse, Toronto – 7%
Erik Spoelstra, Miami – 7%
> Also receiving votes: Tyronn Lue, LA Clippers; Doc Rivers, Philadelphia; Monty Williams, Phoenix
> Last year: N/A

Which new or relocated head coach will make the biggest impact on his new team?
1. Rick Carlisle, Indiana – 64%
2. Ime Udoka, Boston – 14%
3. Jason Kidd, Dallas – 11%
> Also receiving votes: Chauncey Billups, Portland; Jamahl Mosley, Orlando; Wes Unseld Jr., Washington
> Last year: Steve Nash – 28%

Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject:

You're good defensively.

You really suck offensively.

Kiss my Converse.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

This guy is dumb.

No Westbrook and No LeBron and starts davis at center on a preseason game....
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject:

I like how GM builds a team towards the coach's strength. For example, the roster of Nets is very offensive-oriented which is probably what Nash prefers. However, our team is the opposite. Vogel is a defensive coach yet Pelinka brought in mostly offensive-minded players this offseason. There is a possibility that the players can't reach Voge's defensive standard which makes us a poor defensive team, and Vogel can't draw up suitable offensive playbook for this team, which makes us a bad offensive team.

I think Vogel is given a very difficult task this season.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
This guy is dumb.

No Westbrook and No LeBron and starts davis at center on a preseason game....

This is the time to see how it looks, I'm good with the lineup trials, do it now
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject:

We need to center our attention on an issue as we head forward

Dwight the season before, followed by Marc, Kieff, Trez and Drummond this past summer. All of them felt like they were religiously under utilized.

AD on the way…out?

I don’t really care how good it is for us o-ffensively, it feels like a bad o-men for us to place our men at the 5 in Vog’s system.

#D-menSacrifice

Quote:
Vogel plans to use more small lineups, with Davis at center, to get more shooting on the floor. “We got away from that last year,” says Vogel. “He’ll play more in the middle. You might see some centerless lineups, too. We have the type of team where we can really open the floor up.”

But will the Lakers still be able to defend? They had the NBA’s top-ranked D last season. Davis returns as the centerpiece, but L.A. lost two key perimeter defenders in Caruso and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, as well as Kuzma. Vogel has challenged Horton-Tucker to play a more significant role defensively, and the Lakers will bank on some combination of Bazemore, Monk and veteran forward Trevor Ariza to force opposing perimeter threats to settle for jump shots and keep them from feasting in the paint. “These guys are going to have to learn each other,” says Vogel. “We’re going to have to build the chemistry necessary to win and get everybody on the same page.”

The Lakers still have James, who, in his 19th season and two months from his 37th birthday, remains one of the league’s top players. Anticipating a more up-tempo offense this season, he reported to camp leaner than in years past. He has a close relationship with Westbrook—James and Davis “enthusiastically” endorsed the trade, says Pelinka—and has posted photos of the two working out together in the offseason. Westbrook’s “competitive spirit,” says Vogel, will give the roster a new energy. “I think the question is, What is the collective mindset of this team going to be? ” says Pelinka. “Are we going to come to the table with some sense of sacrifice?”

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/10/07/lebron-james-anthony-davis-russell-westbrook-lakers

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 138 of 224
Jump to: