THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3182, 3183, 3184 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
. . . we have the worst electoral/political system in the civilized world.

Our damn system is about 250 years old . . . what else should we expect?!

And it was set up by slave-holding white men!

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject:

Dems advantage.

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL January 6 scenario

LINK

Quote:
7 states have transmitted dual slates of electors to the President of the Senate. The 12th Amendment merely provides that “the President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted.” There is very solid legal authority, and historical precedent, for the view that the President of the Senate does the counting, including the resolution of disputed electoral votes (as Adams and Jefferson did while Vice President, regarding their own election as President), and all the Members of Congress can do is watch.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject:

From the Twitter machine:

Quote:
How do you get a Republican to socially distance?

Subpoena them
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Where are we at on the spending bill? Is there a deadline for it like say end of the year?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Saw a report today that Newsom signed an order for the state to stop selling all gas powered small engine lawn and outdoor equipment by 2024.

- My first question is does that include generators? I can't imagine a state that is vulnerable to natural disasters would ban the sale of gas powered generators.

- Next.....I made the switch in recent years to battery powered lawn equipment and love them. Still, I assume California is like Florida in that it is flooded with commercial lawn companies....and I do not think it is feasible for many of these companies to operate efficiently on battery powered equipment with the current battery technology. I would guess each crew would need 4-5 dozen batteries fully charged each day.....which is just insane.

- Finally, these batteries will last a couple years for most private homeowners.....but they will only last a fraction amount of that time if the are being charged and used every single day like they would for commercial companies. Anyone that has had to replace a decent 5 AH battery knows they are very expensive. The operations cost for commercial lawn companies would significantly increase. Btw, when I say commercial....I just mean for profit LLC type companies....3-4 crews in the community...not multi million dollar operations.

Am I missing something or does this regulation seen a little too burdensome at the current time? Maybe could have started with only leaf blowers by 2024....and ease into the other equipment as the battery technology advances and prices diminish?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Saw a report today that Newsom signed an order for the state to stop selling all gas powered small engine lawn and outdoor equipment by 2024.

- My first question is does that include generators? I can't imagine a state that is vulnerable to natural disasters would ban the sale of gas powered generators.

- Next.....I made the switch in recent years to battery powered lawn equipment and love them. Still, I assume California is like Florida in that it is flooded with commercial lawn companies....and I do not think it is feasible for many of these companies to operate efficiently on battery powered equipment with the current battery technology. I would guess each crew would need 4-5 dozen batteries fully charged each day.....which is just insane.

- Finally, these batteries will last a couple years for most private homeowners.....but they will only last a fraction amount of that time if the are being charged and used every single day like they would for commercial companies. Anyone that has had to replace a decent 5 AH battery knows they are very expensive. The operations cost for commercial lawn companies would significantly increase. Btw, when I say commercial....I just mean for profit LLC type companies....3-4 crews in the community...not multi million dollar operations.

Am I missing something or does this regulation seen a little too burdensome at the current time? Maybe could have started with only leaf blowers by 2024....and ease into the other equipment as the battery technology advances and prices diminish?

I’m not one to pile on newsome but this is eerily similar to the gas tax. It didn’t affect me because we have electric and a hybrid. It affected the poorer communities who rely on their cars for work

I actually have had a battery powered leaf blower for a few years and imho it sucks. It’s ok for gutters but that’s about it. My gardener has a gas powered one. He will be affected.

Just read that the bullet train to nowhere got a billion dollar price increase.

How about we abort that.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
California law to eventually ban gas-powered lawn equipment

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed a law directing regulators to eventually ban the sale of new gas-powered lawn equipment

By ADAM BEAM Associated Press
October 9, 2021, 6:38 PM
• 3 min read

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California will soon ban the sale of new gas-powered leaf blowers and lawn mowers, a move aimed at curbing emissions from a category of small engines on pace to produce more pollution each year than passenger vehicles.

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a new law on Saturday that orders state regulators to ban the sale of new gas-powered equipment using small off-road engines, a broad category that includes generators, lawn equipment and pressure washers.

. . .

Last year, California regulators approved a first-of-its-kind rule to force automakers to sell more electric work trucks and delivery vans. Also last year, Newsom ordered regulators to ban the sale of all new gas-powered cars and trucks in California by 2035 — a date that has since been embraced by some of the world's largest automakers.

California has more than 16.7 million of these small engines in the state, about 3 million more than the number of passenger cars on the road. California was the first government in the world to adopt emission standards for these small engines in 1990. But since then, emissions in cars have vastly improved compared with smaller engines.

Now, state officials say running a gas-powered leaf blower for one hour emits the same amount of pollution as driving a 2017 Toyota Camry from Los Angeles to Denver, a distance of about 1,100 miles (1,770 kilometers).

The law Newsom signed also orders regulators to offer rebates for people to change out their equipment, a move aimed at landscaping businesses that use these machines more often. The state budget, approved earlier this year, includes $30 million to pay for this effort.

ABC News
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Sweep: Don't blow!

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject:

We know what’s going to happen. Cops will be called on landscapers, gardeners etc.

That will be the next iteration of Karen
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject:

Now do something about Retail destruction of returns and overstock
And do something about all food waste

Insurance companies think they own the planet and can write-off everything

Amazon Whole foods Walmart throws away Thousands and thousands of pounds of non expired food daily
Every single day
Earth gets raped by sociopathic corporations who only see profit numbers vs resource waste/destruction
I want companies fined into bankruptcy who knowingly throw away Earth's resources
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
We know what’s going to happen. Cops will be called on landscapers, gardeners etc.

Well, I think it's just the sale of them. So guys are just going to carry around their old ones or repair those. (Or just buy battery powered ones, maybe, if those hold up all day.)

Actually, they will just buy them out of state.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Quote:

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed a law directing regulators to eventually ban the sale of new gas-powered lawn equipment

• 3 min read

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California will soon ban the sale of new gas-powered leaf blowers and lawn mowers, a move aimed at curbing emissions from a category of small engines on pace to produce more pollution each year than passenger vehicles.

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a new law on Saturday that orders state regulators to ban the sale of new gas-powered equipment using small off-road engines, a broad category that includes generators, lawn equipment and pressure washers.

. . .

Last year, California regulators approved a first-of-its-kind rule to force automakers to sell more electric work trucks and delivery vans. Also last year, Newsom ordered regulators to ban the sale of all new gas-powered cars and trucks in California by 2035 — a date that has since been embraced by some of the world's largest automakers.

California has more than 16.7 million of these small engines in the state, about 3 million more than the number of passenger cars on the road. California was the first government in the world to adopt emission standards for these small engines in 1990. But since then, emissions in cars have vastly improved compared with smaller engines.

Now, state officials say running a gas-powered leaf blower for one hour emits the same amount of pollution as driving a 2017 Toyota Camry from Los Angeles to Denver, a distance of about 1,100 miles (1,770 kilometers).

The law Newsom signed also orders regulators to offer rebates for people to change out their equipment, a move aimed at landscaping businesses that use these machines more often. The state budget, approved earlier this year, includes $30 million to pay for this effort.

ABC News

Right now it's the sale of. What's next? The use of?

I envision a huge boost in blower sales. In general, most battery-powered leaf blowers will last 20 to 30 minutes per charge. How many batteries will the average person who makes their living cutting lawns have to carry with them to complete their rounds? If it's passed into law it's going to hit the average gardener who makes a living cutting lawns hard.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
Quote:

• 3 min read

. . .

ABC News

Right now it's the sale of. What's next? The use of?

I envision a huge boost in blower sales. In general, most battery-powered leaf blowers will last 20 to 30 minutes per charge. How many batteries will the average person who makes their living cutting lawns have to carry with them to complete their rounds? If it's passed into law it's going to hit the average gardener who makes a living cutting lawns hard.

I do not know the exact law, but I read California has had a law on the books for a while about gas powered blowers use so many feet from a public establishment or something.....apparently it would make it nearly impossible to use them in 75% of the places commercial lawn companies use them, but it has never been enforced. I think it is under the noise pollution regulations.

That is the issue I have with the law. I get what it is trying to do.....and it does not really bother me....but I do not think the battery technology is there today. If you have ever watched these guys work.....they will have 6 or 7 yards on a street....and the blower guy is often going from one yard to the next without really turning off his machine for more than a couple minutes. I would guess each blower will need 4...maybe 5 batteries a day. Then you have the weed trimmer guy.....the edger guy....the shrubs guy. I have no idea how you do the mower.....there are not many commercial battery operated riding mowers on the market....and I would assume they use a ton of battery power. My lot is a 1/3 acre, and I use 2 batteries to get it finished with a push mower.

As I said earlier....batteries usually last a couple years for the guy that cuts his yard once a week or so.....they will likely last less than 6 months if they are recharged and used daily. That will be a massive cost.

I feel like this is one of those regulations thought of by a bunch of politicians that would not know how to start a lawn mower.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Well, I think it's just the sale of them. So guys are just going to carry around their old ones or repair those. (Or just buy battery powered ones, maybe, if those hold up all day.)

There was a law maybe still is where you cant use a blower before 7-8 am. I think. This feels like one of those laws where one of newsomes out of touch rich friends got woken up one morning and threatened to pull his money if something wasn't done.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject:

I moved to all electric equipment for my house awhile ago. I love it. I hated maintaining gas powered stuff. It definitely helps that we downsized from 1.5 acres in NC to a small lot I can mow in 20 minutes in Florida. I was using an EGO electric blower in NC though and that thing has some serious power. I actually stopped using it and bought a smaller slower one when we moved because the EGO was just blowing crap everywhere on a small lot.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Halflife wrote:

There was a law maybe still is where you cant use a blower before 7-8 am. I think. This feels like one of those laws where one of newsomes out of touch rich friends got woken up one morning and threatened to pull his money if something wasn't done.

How you conflate a law based on lowering emissions to California's wealthy elite calling Newsome over noise is beyond reason.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
I moved to all electric equipment for my house awhile ago. I love it. I hated maintaining gas powered stuff. It definitely helps that we downsized from 1.5 acres in NC to a small lot I can mow in 20 minutes in Florida. I was using an EGO electric blower in NC though and that thing has some serious power. I actually stopped using it and bought a smaller slower one when we moved because the EGO was just blowing crap everywhere on a small lot.

Yeah, I moved to a battery operated Husqvarna suite of equipment (mower, weed whacker and blower) and it's been great. I use the blower to clear my decks, driveway and walkways. It's battery lasts about 20 minutes and is isn't any noisier than our vacuum.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Two youtube channels that I really enjoy in terms of politics are David Pakman and Sam Seder.

Here's an example of a great Pakman interview:

And Seder:

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Halflife wrote:

How you conflate a law based on lowering emissions to California's wealthy elite calling Newsome over noise is beyond reason.

it was a bit tongue in cheek but is this really the law to make a dent?

he finally relaxed zone 1 laws for building. That's a huge relief for me, but basically what he did was allow bigger properties, to accommodate more people, to consume more local resources initially made for smaller dwelling communities. Wheres the outcry about the stress on the environment there?

This blower law like the gas tax hurts the lower-income communities.
I too have a battery-powered leaf blower I use for gutters, My gardener and the like will be affected, just like the gas tax.

It is what it is, but to buy that its for the environment is hilarious.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Halflife wrote:

he finally relaxed zone 1 laws for building. That's a huge relief for me, but basically what he did was allow bigger properties, to accommodate more people, to consume more local resources initially made for smaller dwelling communities. Wheres the outcry about the stress on the environment there?

I too have a battery-powered leaf blower I use for gutters, My gardener and the like will be affected, just like the gas tax.

What's hilarious is how you are evading the point by bringing up zoning laws etc. that have nothing to do with what we are discussing here.

So if a law aimed at lowering emissions has nothing to do with the environment, what is it you think it is about? Because you are clearly implying that it is a conscious effort by Newsom to harm lower income people and communities, which makes no sense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Why Has Biden Embraced One of Stephen Miller’s Cruelest Immigration Policies?

BY MEKELA PANDITHARATNE
OCT 05, 2021
12:41 PM

A previously obscure public health law known as Title 42 is quickly becoming a flashpoint in a struggle over the Biden administration’s rapid expulsion of thousands of migrants—including Haitian asylum-seekers—from American soil. On Monday, Politico reported that Harold Koh, a senior State Department legal official, is resigning from his position in the Biden administration because of its implementation of Title 42, which Koh called “illegal,” “inhumane,” and “not worthy of this Administration that I so strongly support.” Koh’s public stance in a legal memo filed on Saturday captures the horror of the Trump holdover immigration policy that the Biden administration has bizarrely embraced.

The law is narrowly drawn and grants the government the power to prohibit—where necessary for public health—the “introduction of persons” to the country if such introduction would increase a “serious danger of the introduction” of communicable disease. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention under Trump issued—on exceedingly shaky legal footing—a 2020 rule expansively interpreting Title 42 and purporting to permit expulsions of asylum-seekers en masse. Despite promising to wind down its claimed use of Title 42, the Biden administration has continued to deploy the Trump-era rule to remove large numbers of migrant families and single adults from the country.

. . .

Last month, a federal court issued a preliminary injunction blocking the government from expelling family units under Title 42. Judge Emmet Sullivan handed down the order in a case filed in Washington by the ACLU and other civil rights organizations. The government, though, appealed the decision and last week the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C Circuit stayed Sullivan’s ruling, allowing the Biden administration to continue the mass expulsions.

. . .

The likely unlawful use of Title 42 to expel migrants also opens the Biden administration to merited charges of hypocrisy. Democrats and progressives lambasted the Trump administration for propagating immigration policies with the flimsiest of pretexts. Among those plainly pretextual policies were the infamous “Muslim bans” that shut America’s gates to citizens of a number of Muslim-majority countries on the heels of a presidential campaign that peddled Islamophobia. The Biden administration now finds itself in the position of defending an apparently pretextual policy—Title 42—whose stated public health objectives were condemned as baseless by top officials in Trump’s CDC.

The Biden administration’s real reason for deploying Title 42 is likely that the government is simply struggling to respond to a chaotic situation at the U.S.-Mexico border, and the Trump-era policy eases the burden on agencies and agents a bit. That reasoning certainly wouldn’t justify illegally abrogating refugee rights guaranteed by domestic and international law and does nothing to abate the harms to expelled migrants who face cartel violence, human rights abuses, and hardships across the border.

Slate
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Crucial Decision Democrats Have to Make Now

BY JIM NEWELL
OCT 13, 2021
6:15 PM

While it may be wholly undetectable to the naked eye, Democrats have made a modicum of progress on their signature Build Back Better Act, the all-purpose, party-line megabill for enacting new social spending programs and keeping the planet semi-habitable. That small bit of progress is recognizing that there is not going to be any “$3.5 trillion bill,” as it’s so often described in shorthand. Instead, to cater to small factions of moderate and conservative Democrats in the House and Senate, the target is now more like $2 trillion.

Where Democrats are now stuck, though, is figuring out how to cut the bill to nearly half its proposed cost. There are two basic approaches. The most straightforward is to drop a bunch of proposals from the bill. The other is to seed as many of the proposals as possible, for a shorter duration, and gamble that they’ll be renewed later on.

As ever, progressives and moderates have different preferences, are becoming deeply entrenched in their preferences, and will not easily suffer the other faction prevailing. Same show, new season.

But with a new season comes a new character: the New Democrat Coalition. Sandwiched between the Congressional Progressive Caucus and the Blue Dogs, the 95-member caucus is, according to its own description, “a solutions-oriented coalition seeking to bridge the gap between left and right by challenging outmoded partisan approaches to governing.” Its members are “committed to pro-economic growth, pro-innovation, and fiscally responsible policies,” and they “believe the challenges ahead are too great for Members of Congress to refuse to cooperate purely out of partisanship.” Just put on a Patagonia vest, stroke your chin a few times, and throw a few vanilla buzzwords into a Mad Libs template, and you’ll have a sentence that the New Dems can put on their “About Us” page. They’re center-left Democrats who like business but mostly do what Nancy Pelosi tells them to do.

. . .

In order to fit $3.5 trillion worth of spending into a $2 trillion box, progressives recommend immediately implementing all of these programs but “sunsetting” them—allowing them to expire—after a shorter number of years, so they appear to cost less over ten years. It is not that progressives actually want these programs to expire, though. Instead, they’re resorting to the use of “cliffs” as, essentially, a budget gimmick.

The idea is that once popular benefits have been introduced, it would be difficult for the governing party to allow them to disappear overnight. They would be renewed in some form or fashion. This is a bipartisan trick: The George W. Bush tax cuts were designed to sunset after ten years, and were mostly renewed—except at the top end—under Barack Obama. The Republican tax cut bill in 2017, meanwhile, scheduled all of the individual tax cuts to expire at the end of 2025. That way, Republicans had enough budget space to make all of their business tax cuts permanent, and pretty good historical precedent to believe that most of the individual tax cuts would be renewed later on.

Slate
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

'There have to be consequences:' Judge ups sentences for U.S. Capitol rioters

LINK

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A federal judge in Washington has repeatedly sentenced people who stormed the U.S. Capitol to more prison time than prosecutors sought, saying that even people who were not violent should face consequences for joining the unprecedented assault.

In the past week, U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan has imposed sentences ranging from 14 to 45 days on four people who pleaded guilty to unlawful parading and picketing inside the Capitol building on Jan. 6 — a misdemeanor offense.

14 o 45 days may not seem like a lot unless you're the one serving the time. I'm sure it has to have a negative impact on the lives of those sentenced. It at least may be a deterrent, cause pause, for others who may think about participating in another action of this kind.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“A group of anti-Trump Republicans on Thursday will endorse a slate of Democratic lawmakers facing tough races in next year’s midterm elections, in a bid to stop the Republican Party from retaking control of Congress.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/MilesTaylorUSA/status/1448622239931371526
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Halflife wrote:

What's hilarious is how you are evading the point by bringing up zoning laws etc. that have nothing to do with what we are discussing here.

So if a law aimed at lowering emissions has nothing to do with the environment, what is it you think it is about? Because you are clearly implying that it is a conscious effort by Newsom to harm lower income people and communities, which makes no sense.

First off the obscurity of this is ridiculous.
2nd- Do you know Newsome's history? Pre Governor? and now Gov?

He has always shunned lower-income communities. That isn't even debatable, or secret. So do I think it was conscious? I don't know, but it certainly is out of touch.

The first point in regards to lowering emissions and why I brought up zoning is because the harm those zoning laws do to a state suffering a drought and the toll development takes on the environment make leaf blowers insignificant.

Thats out of touch.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3182, 3183, 3184 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 3183 of 3663
Jump to: