WARRIORS -at- LAKERS - 10/12 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: WARRIORS -at- LAKERS - 10/12 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

The New Trio... The Lakers finally rolled out all three of LeBron, AD and Westbrook. It feels like this should have happened a few games ago. It looks like it, too.

With no Curry, Green and Thompson, this is a last place type of Warrior squad that the Lakers faced. They struggled against them. There is very little team play offensively with the trio in the half court. Often, it was individual ball versus any consistent team play. Even in transition, it felt like the team was just hurrying to get into bad shots quickly.

The Lakers hit rock bottom after giving up a 21-3 run during the third quarter. The fourth quarter was garbage time and the Lakers fell 111-99.

LeBron talked about patience afterward.

“If I don’t get frustrated, I think it will trickle down to everyone else,” LeBron said.

LeBron -- -- The only thing resembling cohesion in this game was when LeBron or Rondo had the ball. Even for LeBron, there were plenty of possessions where he’d cough it up or just work the midpost and chuck up a shot. Early on, he was at his best getting out transition and finishing three straight layups. You can get a sense for how effective he will be at finding shooters around him. He put the ball into Melo or Bazemore’s hands for great looks from the corners for three. There is not very much chemistry between him and Russ at the moment. The Stats: He scored 17 points on 7-16 shooting (1-4 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 4 assists, 3 steals, 6 turnovers and 2 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a +2.

Davis -- -- The lob action continues for him. He and Rondo have that great chemistry and they teamed up a couple of times. One was on one of those early offense long entry passes, where AD gives it back and Rondo lobs it to him. Another was a read in transition where AD changed pace off ball and Rondo read it, throwing it to the rim for AD to finish. Westbrook found him on a pick and pop for a jumper, but no real chemistry. Some really good effort by AD at times in this game. He was active, at least. A couple blocks, a couple steals. The Stats: He scored 20 points on 7-12 shooting (0-2 from three, 6-9 from the line) to go with 2 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks and 2 fouls in 30 minutes. He was a +2.

Westbrook -- -- After an 0-4 start and what looked like Westbrook’s third turnover, Vogel called a timeout to review a call on Russ. It was overturned and Westbrook got two FTs. Good job by Vogel as Russ was getting frustrated. He got to see the ball go through the hoop and started to turn things around a bit later in that first half, hitting a three, a pull-up and earning some FTs for 8 points in that late part of the second quarter. Still, not anywhere near where he needs to be. Asked how long it will take to get it together: “I don’t have an answer for that one,” Russell said. He hit the boards well, had some finds in transition, but also another 5 turnovers and very little scoring impact. You can see he’s instantly the guy teams will leave to double AD in the post. He did sink an open three off one of those. One more game before they begin to count. Seems like we’re heading for a slow start. Got to think he’ll be amped up when they count. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 3-9 shooting (1-3 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 6 assists, 1 block, 5 turnovers and 3 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a -5.

Bazemore -- -- He picked up three fouls in the first half and sat a little early. He was complaining about his fourth foul during the third quarter and got backdoored for a layup. Vogel immediately called a timeout as that capped off a Warriors 10-0 run. He sank a corner three and hit a pull-up at the top of the key, but not much going on in this one. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-6 shooting (1-3 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 20 minutes. He was a -9.

Anthony -- -- Goodness, he gets shots up. So much for the sacrifice thing. He hit a couple of threes in seven attempts, hit a midrange jumper and finished a lob from Russ. These two I want to run some two-man action. Real simple game and with Melo’s pick and pop or post skills, they can create mismatches and easy looks. Defensively, I have a hard time seeing us putting the screws on a team with him on the court. The Warriors had a run in the third quarter where he was a big part of that problem. The starting lineup with him at the PF spot and AD at the C could be what we end up settling with to start the season. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 4-12 shooting (2-7 from three, 3-3 from the line) to go with 5 assists, 1 block and 2 fouls in 25 minutes. He was a -5.

Howard -- -- He tried to get the crowd going after drawing a foul on the offensive glass. He’s been a nice spark. I’m surprised we didn’t set him up or have him a bit more dominant against this small lineup. Rondo did find him for a lob and Queen set him up on a drive and dish for his two scores, but that was it. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-5 shooting to go with 6 boards (2 offensive), 1 block, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 13 minutes. He was a -5.

Rondo -- -- Nice outing from Rondo. He sank a couple of threes when they left him open. I’m actually feeling really like it will go in every time he gets one of those looks with enough time. Good thing because we’re running him with Westbrook at times. He and AD showed that chemistry for a couple of lobs. He also set up Dwight for lob. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-4 shooting (2-3 from three) to go with 9 boards, 5 assists, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 21 minutes. He was a +6.

Reaves -- -- “He’s an NBA player,” LeBron said. Third most minutes tonight with 27, which says, yes, we are injured a bit. But it also says the coaches like him. He just looks very comfortable out there. I’m starting to enjoy watching him get tested on D and often answering the call (he had a nice strip-block after moving his feet to stay in front of his man before shutting that drive down). He did get backcut a bit. Still, very surprised he’s been as consistently disruptive on D as he’s been this quickly into his NBA career. It bodes well. If you look at the stat sheet, it’s got a little bit of everything going on in it. Love seeing LeBron fire a pass to him and Reaves quickly sinking a corner three. LeBron just called your number and you answered. Very nice. “I ask Rondo something every five minutes. It’s really just me trying to be a sponge and learning,” Reaves said. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 3-6 shooting (2-4 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 27 minutes. He was a -3.

Brown -- -- Strong minutes from him tonight, leading the bench in scoring. He kept his aggressiveness steady. Some mixed results trying to finish around the rim. (That’s where the speed of the game at this level throws you off a bit...even Reaves on one tonight lacked his usual poise). Brown sank another three. He also showed some poise, moving in off the three line for a jumper to just beat the shotclock. He has thoroughly outplayed Ayayi. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 5-10 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 23 minutes. He was a -7.

Queen -- -- He was only credit with 2 steals, but it sure felt like he had a couple more. Very active on the perimeter and in passing lanes on kickouts. Offensively, he didn’t score, but he did have a nice drive, losing a man with a behind-the-back dribble, then wrapping a pass around a defender to find Dwight for the dunk. A little sloppy, stepping on the sideline or losing a handle on iso. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 1 board, 2 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 12 minutes. He was a -11.

Oliver -- -- In for garbage time, not much action. We closed the game poorly The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 1 board. He was a -11.

Ayayi -- -- Missed a couple of jumpers. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 2 boards in 6 minutes. He was a -9.

McClung -- -- Nothing to report. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting in 2 minutes. He was a -5.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: The Lakers coughed up a 21-3 run in the third quarter. They had their starters in for a chunk of that. Just not good ball on either ends and this second string Warrior team took it to them.

Key Substitution: I liked seeing Reaves get the call early. He’s moved up in the depth chart with the injuries, but Vogel clearly likes how quickly he’s adjusted to this level. In the Summer League, he had to be the floor general. He didn’t have guys setting him up like he does now and he’s fitting in nicely.

Key Stats: They had 20 turnovers tonight, so improvement? LeBron on the lack of chemistry right now: “Any time you have a new team and a new core of guys, it just takes a little minute. Understanding that and just always repeating that to the guys,” he said.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Slow starting but we will get there, I hope.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject:

"You can see he’s instantly the guy teams will leave to double AD in the post."

Not to mention his guy completely abandons him to prevent AD from rolling.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject:

It's nice to have D12 and Rondo back. Also great to hear Rondo is mentoring Reaves. Thanks, DB.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject:

The perimeter defense was disturbing. We were playing against a bunch of scrubs, but it seemed like they could get a wide open three whenever they wanted one. Thankfully, they were scrubs, so they missed a lot of them.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject:

why do i get the vibe this slow start and confusion has David Fizdale written all over it?

isn't he trying to implement some different offensive scheme compared to vogel a few years ago when the offense was "give the ball to lebron/rondo and do whatever they tell you to do"?

maybe we should just go back to that while SLOWLY implementing Fiz's schemes?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

This current version of this team doesn’t scare anyone right now.

Slow, bad defensively.

Prone to giving up points in bunches.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject:

This game highlighted my three concerns for the season.

1. Turnovers due to a lack of playing time together.
2. Three point shooting is still an issue. While the guys we signed had good three point averages last year, that may not carry over to this year.
3. Perimeter defense is suspect. No lock down defenders on the outside.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
why do i get the vibe this slow start and confusion has David Fizdale written all over it?

isn't he trying to implement some different offensive scheme compared to vogel a few years ago when the offense was "give the ball to lebron/rondo and do whatever they tell you to do"?

There has been some good intention behind some plays. But Vogel usually spends a lot of time of the preseason on team D stuff. I imagine that's the same. I just don't like the overall idea of not giving these guys more reps together running up to the actual games. I mean two games for our trio?

We're just going to start slow and have to deal with it, I think. Feels like any team in the league can beat them right now with how disjointed they are.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
We're just going to start slow and have to deal with it, I think. Feels like any team in the league can beat them right now with how disjointed they are.

My biggest takeaway of this preseason as well.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

This team looks like it's very poorly put together. It's perfect ammunition to those who said; I told you so!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Not an encouraging game.

As is the case with many here; my worries are perimeter defense and roster balance. I think the rust will chip away after a slow start, but even when we're in full swing I'm not confident on these two issues. Hope I'm mistaken.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
"You can see he’s instantly the guy teams will leave to double AD in the post."

Not to mention his guy completely abandons him to prevent AD from rolling.
there are various counters

* Set screens
* Take the wide open midrange shots
* Dive to the rim when they are guarding AD on the high post
* Push the pace at every opportunity
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB !!! I enjoyed what I could of the game...nice to see the young guys actually...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Yikes, let's ramp it up guys say two notches yes?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

There has been some good intention behind some plays. But Vogel usually spends a lot of time of the preseason on team D stuff. I imagine that's the same. I just don't like the overall idea of not giving these guys more reps together running up to the actual games. I mean two games for our trio?

Agree with the bolded in particular. That really just hasn't made any sense to me but oh well.

Thanks for the writeup DB
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

I don't understand it either. This seems to have LeBron written all over it. I have a sneaking suspicion LeBron didn't want to play in the games he sat out, and coach Vogel just gave in to him.

If we get off to a slow start in the regular season, it will probably be a direct consequence of LeBron not wanting to play much in the preseason.

On the other hand, let's give AD credit for wanting to play major minutes in the preseason, especially when many think he's soft and lazy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: