View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Nothing like billionaire white privilege in action. Good thing the flight was short so Shat didn't have to pee in a bottle like Bezos's employees.

Listening to Shatner talking with Bezos afterward, it almost sounds as if he’s high.

Naw, just a blowhard who's full of himself trying to sound philosophical.

I was telling one of my best friends one day about how I at least will donate to food banks and hunger related causes..
He said to me "You want to do something for your brother?
Protect his planet! Make sure he has somewhere to raise his children."

Capitalism can be the mother of all evils..we sold our planet so Exxon/Enron/Bezos/Bolsinaro/Musk/et al can live in fantasyland
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject:

Captain Shatner has gone where no man his age has ever gone before.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Shatner . . . the bolded part is past-tense for defecating (but as an expletive).

William Shatner

https://grammarist.com/usage/shat/
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Nothing like billionaire white privilege in action. Good thing the flight was short so Shat didn't have to pee in a bottle like Bezos's employees.

Listening to Shatner talking with Bezos afterward, it almost sounds as if he’s high.

I don't know how it could not be a profound experience for someone. Major perspective shifts will do that. Also, he's got that massive adrenaline rush. So he is high, just not directly via psychedelics or something.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand the uproar about Bill going into space. You only come this way once. Why not make the most of it?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Shatner's awesome. I was genuinely happy to see him so happy! I only wish his other Star Trek co-stars had been there with him.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Considering Bill was part of a show that inspired some people to go into careers in the aerospace industry or space exploration I have no problem with this.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
Shatner's awesome. I was genuinely happy to see him so happy! I only wish his other Star Trek co-stars had been there with him.

They couldn’t get a free ride, they’d have to urn it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject:

IIRC, his costars from Star Trek all hate him.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

He's definitely alienated a great deal of people over his career due to his pompousness and arrogance.

I get that his Star Trek provenance makes him the perfect pick for a guy like Bezos to send an old, white, male celebrity into space. And that's why I find this White Billionaire Space Race between Bezos, Musk and Branson so gross.

They pretend it's about this honorable, philanthropic effort to privatize space flight for the good of the people. But the truth is it's prideful display of wealth and privilege intended to stroke their own egos via a masturbatory game of one-upmanship.

And this is coming from someone who watched the original Apollo expeditions as a kid and grew up fascinated with the idea of space travel It's a shame that people with the capabilities of doing something so cool have turned it into something so distasteful.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Jeff Tiedrich AT itsJeffTiedrich

William Shatner has now gone to space more times than Amazon has paid taxes
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Shatner Sent To Work In Amazon Factory Until He Pays Back Cost Of Space Flight

AFTER the overwhelming and euphoric adrenaline rush slowly receded from his body, Captain Kirk aka William Shatner aka The Oldest Man In Space was brought crashing back down to earth by the small print in the contract he signed with Blue Origin billionaire Jeff Bezos.

“What are you, 90 years old? You going for a piss break won’t be a problem you’re colostomy bag probably has its own colostomy bag, right? Haha,” said Bezos as he showed an ashen faced Shatner around the Amazon factory he will be working in until the full cost of his space flight is paid off.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

AFTER the overwhelming and euphoric adrenaline rush slowly receded from his body, Captain Kirk aka William Shatner aka The Oldest Man In Space was brought crashing back down to earth by the small print in the contract he signed with Blue Origin billionaire Jeff Bezos.

“What are you, 90 years old? You going for a piss break won’t be a problem you’re colostomy bag probably has its own colostomy bag, right? Haha,” said Bezos as he showed an ashen faced Shatner around the Amazon factory he will be working in until the full cost of his space flight is paid off.

I find that hard to believe. The cost of the space flight is between $200,000 to $300,000 per ticket. Unless Amazon is going to give him an unbelievable wage he'll spend the rest of his days working at a company owned factory.

Shatner probably has the money. If indeed the fine print said that I don't think Bezos will enforce it. Then again he may make Bill come out of pocket.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I find that hard to believe. The cost of the space flight is between $200,000 to $300,000 per ticket. Unless Amazon is going to give him an unbelievable wage he'll spend the rest of his days working at a company owned factory.

If indeed the fine print said that I don't think Bezos will enforce it.

The Blue Origin just streaked right over your head with Shatner in it. 😂
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

If indeed the fine print said that I don't think Bezos will enforce it.

The Blue Origin just streaked right over your head with Shatner in it. 😂

It must have and it's still streaking.

Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

I haven't followed any of this, but I read somewhere that Bezos popped open a bottle of champagne in Shatner's face. Shatner happens to be a recovering alcoholic.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
I haven't followed any of this, but I read somewhere that Bezos popped open a bottle of champagne in Shatner's face. Shatner happens to be a recovering alcoholic.

Bezos grabbed a bottle and said to Bill something to the effect of, "I want some of that, you want some?" to Bill. Bill was visibly unamused by the antics. He was waiting for his opportunity to wax philosophically and was clearly pissed that he got interrupted as he was about to do so.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Hammett wrote:

Bezos grabbed a bottle and said to Bill something to the effect of, "I want some of that, you want some?" to Bill. Bill was visibly unamused by the antics. He was waiting for his opportunity to wax philosophically and was clearly pissed that he got interrupted as he was about to do so.

It's finally sinking in. I'm slow on the uptake but I usually get it. He may have been funning with the factory.

I don't know if Bezo's is effing with Captain Kirk with champaign spraying. I get the feeling he really wanted to hear what Shatner had to say.

Video shows Jeff Bezos interrupting William Shatner's emotional speech to spray Champagne

LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

He's definitely alienated a great deal of people over his career due to his pompousness and arrogance.

I get that his Star Trek provenance makes him the perfect pick for a guy like Bezos to send an old, white, male celebrity into space. And that's why I find this White Billionaire Space Race between Bezos, Musk and Branson so gross.

They pretend it's about this honorable, philanthropic effort to privatize space flight for the good of the people. But the truth is it's prideful display of wealth and privilege intended to stroke their own egos via a masturbatory game of one-upmanship.

And this is coming from someone who watched the original Apollo expeditions as a kid and grew up fascinated with the idea of space travel It's a shame that people with the capabilities of doing something so cool have turned it into something so distasteful.

Exactly. I wanted to be a pilot and/or an astronomer when I was a kid. I was knee deep into learning all I could about space. This entire endeavor is an exercise in hubris. Why not pool your money together and work with NASA? It makes no sense if their goal was really to get people off this rock.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Exactly. I wanted to be a pilot and/or an astronomer when I was a kid. I was knee deep into learning all I could about space. This entire endeavor is an exercise in hubris. Why not pool your money together and work with NASA? It makes no sense if their goal was really to get people off this rock.

Because private spaceflight is the future. NASA is no longer in the business of building spacecraft anymore. Nor do they have the budget that they used to. It makes sense too. You no longer have the cost overruns that you used to with the previous space programs. NASA sets requirements and gives a budget any a private company like SpaceX, Boeing, Blue Origins can bid for.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Because private spaceflight is the future. NASA is no longer in the business of building spacecraft anymore. Nor do they have the budget that they used to. It makes sense too. You no longer have the cost overruns that you used to with the previous space programs. NASA sets requirements and gives a budget any a private company like SpaceX, Boeing, Blue Origins can bid for.

Privatization isn't always a good thing. Think DeJoy and what Texas did to its power grid.

And as I have said, I don't take issue with some aspects private money going into spaceflight. I just find the way it is currently being done, particularly by the douchebags Bezos and Musk, to be a distasteful execution that hints at why allowing such privatization to be potential problematic.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Privatization isn't always a good thing. Think DeJoy and what Texas did to its power grid.

And as I have said, I don't take issue with some aspects private money going into spaceflight. I just find the way it is currently being done, particularly by the douchebags Bezos and Musk, to be a distasteful execution that hints at why allowing such privatization to be potential problematic.

Space tourism is a necessary evil. Since the government no longer has the money to supply to a public agency like NASA, the private enterprises have to make money on the back end in order to build those expensive spacecraft that they can no longer fund the development with a blank checkbook. Since the private companies now have to pay for any cost overruns out of their pocket, they need to make money to cover those cost overruns. Before the US government used to cover those costs, that is no longer the case.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: